LTHforum's 8th Annual Picnic - Autumnal Equinox - Sept 22

LTHforum's 8th Annual Picnic - Autumnal Equinox - Sept 22
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 8
  • LTHforum's 8th Annual Picnic - Autumnal Equinox - Sept 22

Post #1 - August 25th, 2013, 9:09 am
    Post #1 - August 25th, 2013, 9:09 am Post #1 - August 25th, 2013, 9:09 am
    LTHforum's 8th Annual Potluck Picnic on the Autumnal Equinox

The gathering of the LTHforum clan for the best community picnic in Chicago. We are following in the footsteps of many a small town's picnic, which almost nobody experiences without driving deep into the country. Fortunately just about everyone knows each other or if we don't, we surely will now.

Date: Sunday, September 22nd* – Rain or Shine! Let's toast to the Autumnal Equinox at 3:44 PM CDT!

*Late date this year due to Jewish holidays on the two prior weekends

Where: Labagh Woods, Grove 1

Shelter in grove 1 (image by Steve Z)

Driving: Take 94 to the Foster Avenue Exit, then turn right (west) until the stoplight at Cicero Avenue. Turn right (north) onto Cicero Avenue for a few hundred yards. Turn right (east) at the LaBagh Woods Forest Preserve sign. Follow the road over US 94 and keep to the left to reach the lot.

Follow the red arrow (image by Ramon)

Time:
    - 9 AM (or earlier by arrangement): I will arrive to reconfirm our picnic permit. Smokers and grillers may arrive to begin their cooks.
    - 10:30 AM: Help with tidying up, arranging tables and supplies.
    - 11:00 AM: Appetizers/Lunch/Desserts (Food will be coming out in waves as they are cooked or as people arrive. It is truly a miraculous vision: Food shows up and people eat it!
    (If you want to try everything, come early and stay late ... don't begin to kvetch if it is gone when you show up fashionably late! :D )
    - TBA - Pinata breaking (children must bring their parents)
    - 5:00ish - Begin tidying up - please note this is everyone's effort.
    - 6:47 PM: Sunset - party over followed by the Park District chaining the driveway.

Fee: Free!

This is a true do-it-ourselves event where we bring food to share, help set up and clean up. Please advise if you can come early or help later with tidying up. This picnic will leave pleasant memories for all of us when we share the load.

Reserve: By replying on this thread. Your information will be maintained on this reservations list, which can always be checked. Please alert us to any errors. From time to time, we will post a recap on this thread.

Everyone joining in this event is expected to contribute in food, keeping the event orderly and tidy up as you go.

Shelter interior with food laden tables (image by Ronnie Suburban)

BBQ smokers and Grills: Please arrange your equipment in the front area, just off the main walk into the shelter. Sure a blast of wind from the wrong direction might send smoke into the shelter. Consider it a shared experience.

BYOT & BYOC: Seating is at a premium with only ten picnic tables provided with the shelter. These will be filled with all kinds of food. If you want to guarantee a seat, bring your own. Ditto for tables. There are lovely grounds for sitting on a blanket. You might consider setting up your seating behind the walls of the shelter.

Whatever food you choose to bring, please make sure to keep hot food hot and cold food cold

(image by Ronnie Suburban)

If you are better at ordering take-out, then consider bringing the following:

- Tables and chairs (we might get as many as ten benches from the park district)
    - Offer to bring bread from local bakers
    - Beverages*
    - Cheese or salamis
    - Water and Ice is always nice!*

*If you commit and later find you cannot attend, please give advance warning. People may want to keep a stash of water in case there are shortages (like last year).

According to David Hammond, who graciously stored last year's unused supplies, we have on hand:
    8 rolls of paper towels
    50 30-gal Hefty bags
    300 12 oz cups
    Approximately 400 sets of plastic knife/fork/spoon
    Approximately 300 napkins
    170 soak-resistant paper plates
    8 cans of sterno (?)
    Approximately 50oz hand sanitizer
    Many hundreds of moist towelettes

Leftover supplies from Great Neighborhood Restaurant awards events, kept by boudreaulicious:

165 Chinet dinner plates
    100+ appetizer plates
    100+ vanity fair large dinner napkins
    60+ pieces of misc good plastic cutlery (forks, knives, spoons)
    Disposable tongs (4)

We need Plastic tablecloths (probably a dozen)

:idea: If you can bring a bag to collect recyclables to bring home and dispose, that would be terrific.

Picnic Permit Rules and Regulations wrote:
    3. The Forest Preserve District is closed to all visitors after SUNSET. Night picnics are not permitted. Glass beverage containers are not permitted on the Forest Preserve District property.

5. The sale of alcoholic beverages in any form is prohibited.
    6. Before leaving, you must extinguish all fires; collect all your paper debris, bottles and trash and deposit them in the appropriate containers.

10. All ordinances and regulations in effect of the Forest Preserve District must be observed and the instructions of its representatives obeyed. Please note that the consumption of alcohol upon or within 50 feet of any roadway, parking area or entranceway is prohibit. No admission fees or charges may be levied.

Alcohol consumption is allowed in this grove. As stated above, you cannot bring any glass bottles. BYOB (in original plastic) is otherwise a-ok.

Lessons learned from last year: Tents need separate permit. Please don't bring tents or tent-sized umbrellas.

From talking to the Cook County Forest Preserve Police, the consequences of a violation are: At a minimum two tickets with fines and mandatory court appearances will be issued: to the violator and the person named on the permit. Let's end the day feeling happy. :D

Please reserve by posting below with what you plan to bring to the picnic, where it fits into the meal and how many are attending:

Appetizer
    Bread
    Cheese/Sausage (to be sliced)
    Side Dishes
    Salads
    Main course
    Snacks
    Desserts
    Alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages

Please advise if your food needs heating, grilling or smoking. Plan to bring your own equipment unless you have arranged to share grill space on someone elses. If you have a tabletop grill, then be prepared to have it sit on the ground.

We have a special spot in our hearts for unique and weird food. Things you never thought you'd have an opportunity to eat.

:idea: Let's do this again, because it works so well: If you have small bites to easily pick up, consider walking through the crowd offering tastes to people.

Adjacent to our picnic area is a large field for games, advise if you can organize a game or two.

Ramon will arrange a pinata filled with candy whimsies paid by the LTHforum party fund.

Mom and Dad: Keep an eye on the kids. If someone else keeps an eye on them, you can be assured they are not enjoying themselves as fully as they'd like.

On the grove’s premises are portapottys plus brick-and-mortar flush toilets and water to clean your hands.

Waste not, want not: We encourage everyone to bring food storage containers, tupperware, ziplocs or plastic bags. We know there will be food to feed more than will be present, so please take home leftovers to enjoy the party just a wee bit longer the next day. When you are ready to leave and getting a container to go, please be considerate of those who may still be eating. Take a modest portion of any dish, especially if it just arrived.

We are not encouraging people to bring pets. There will be lots of noise, people, fire, food, liquor and kids. Even the best behaved beast may not respond well in these conditions. Promise them a good walk and lots of love when you return home, please. I am leaving my cat at home, who does not like to be without me. We all understand these sacrifices.

Come with the classic LTHforum open spirit to break bread with friends who share your culinary interests.

Now come out to eat and play!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - August 25th, 2013, 9:43 am
    Post #2 - August 25th, 2013, 9:43 am Post #2 - August 25th, 2013, 9:43 am
    Thank you very much! We are looking forward to attending, seeing so many friends and enjoying all of the treats. I will be bringing pickled eggs. Octarine's dish is still TBD.

Stephanie
  • Post #3 - August 25th, 2013, 11:42 am
    Post #3 - August 25th, 2013, 11:42 am Post #3 - August 25th, 2013, 11:42 am
    i'll definitely bring the usual couple of big buckets of fruit lemonade. food TBO. justjoan
  • Post #4 - August 25th, 2013, 11:46 am
    Post #4 - August 25th, 2013, 11:46 am Post #4 - August 25th, 2013, 11:46 am
    In plus 2. Vegetarian dish TBD. Looking forward to it!
    "To get long" meant to make do, to make well of whatever we had; it was about having a long view, which was endurance, and a long heart, which was hope.
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #5 - August 25th, 2013, 12:06 pm
    Post #5 - August 25th, 2013, 12:06 pm Post #5 - August 25th, 2013, 12:06 pm
    Put me down for two. I'll post my contribution later on.

Thanks! Can't wait!
    David Hammond—clear a spot in your trunk, I have two boxes of magazines for you.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #6 - August 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Post #6 - August 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm Post #6 - August 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Chitterlings.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #7 - August 25th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    Post #7 - August 25th, 2013, 1:03 pm Post #7 - August 25th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Chitterlings.

Main course or appetizer?
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #8 - August 25th, 2013, 1:11 pm
    Post #8 - August 25th, 2013, 1:11 pm Post #8 - August 25th, 2013, 1:11 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:Chitterlings.

Main course or appetizer?

I'm thinking an app but surely there will be enough (five pounds) for anyone who wants to have them as a main.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #9 - August 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm
    Post #9 - August 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm Post #9 - August 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm
    Thanks Cathy! I will attend with 2 guests, bringing appetizer/main course Chicago inspired egg rolls, and a portable grill.
  • Post #10 - August 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm
    Post #10 - August 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm Post #10 - August 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm
    Glennpan +2 are in for sure.

Leaning towards Grilled banana splits with Plush Horse Ice Cream (dessert). I would need grill space if anyone would be so kind. I will confirm this in the next couple of weeks.
  • Post #11 - August 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm
    Post #11 - August 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm Post #11 - August 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm
    In for 1 - the plan is a grilled beef heart nam tok - might Westernize it a bit with tomatoes.

However, I don't own a portable grill. Will anyone be able to offer me some grill space? I wouldn't need it for very long . . . heart cooks quickly.
  • Post #12 - August 25th, 2013, 5:03 pm
    Post #12 - August 25th, 2013, 5:03 pm Post #12 - August 25th, 2013, 5:03 pm
    Two will be attending. I will bring sesame peanut noodle salad.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #13 - August 25th, 2013, 7:06 pm
    Post #13 - August 25th, 2013, 7:06 pm Post #13 - August 25th, 2013, 7:06 pm
    In for sure! Food item(s) TBD.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #14 - August 25th, 2013, 7:46 pm
    Post #14 - August 25th, 2013, 7:46 pm Post #14 - August 25th, 2013, 7:46 pm
    WOO HOO! BEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

I'm planning to bring one or two home brews in kegs.

I was also thinking about bringing the ghetto al pastor trompo rig, though still tentative.
    If there are enough people interested in doing tacos, maybe we could set up a Mexican area with handmade tortillas and different taco fillings, salsas, etc? If anyone is interested, PM me and we can arrange something.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #15 - August 25th, 2013, 7:53 pm
    Post #15 - August 25th, 2013, 7:53 pm Post #15 - August 25th, 2013, 7:53 pm
    laikom wrote:WOO HOO! BEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

I'm planning to bring one or two home brews in kegs.

I was also thinking about bringing the ghetto al pastor trompo rig, though still tentative.
    If there are enough people interested in doing tacos, maybe we could set up a Mexican area with handmade tortillas and different taco fillings, salsas, etc? If anyone is interested, PM me and we can arrange something.

I'm definitely interested in doing this. I'm in for the salsas and a meat. Was thinking about doing the Lechon Asado again but would be happy to do Carne Asada. Would love to do some Longaniza as well if you're up for it.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #16 - August 25th, 2013, 7:54 pm
    Post #16 - August 25th, 2013, 7:54 pm Post #16 - August 25th, 2013, 7:54 pm
    Count me in! (plus 2 as well).

I'm planning on doing a variety of corn (as long as that still works with you Cathy).

I'll definitely have some grill availability for others, and will post more info once I've figured out my plan of attack for the corn. It'll be a charcoal grill burning lump and some oak.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #17 - August 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm
    Post #17 - August 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm Post #17 - August 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm
    Count me in + 1

I'll bring makings for (c/m)ocktails - homemade ginger beer, drinking vinegar, etc
  • Post #18 - August 25th, 2013, 9:10 pm
    Post #18 - August 25th, 2013, 9:10 pm Post #18 - August 25th, 2013, 9:10 pm
    Hi All!

Already off to a go start!

Laikom - If you plan by PM, please let me know whose doing what when known to avoid replication.

Attril - I am bringing corn - 60 ears, per our earlier discussion.

Wendy - isn't drinking vinegar be called a shrub? :)

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - August 25th, 2013, 9:41 pm
    Post #19 - August 25th, 2013, 9:41 pm Post #19 - August 25th, 2013, 9:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi All!
    Laikom - If you plan by PM, please let me know whose doing what when known to avoid replication.

I'll definitely keep you informed. I don't need to plan via PM but if there were logistics to pull together I'd rather not clutter this thread with a back and forth.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #20 - August 25th, 2013, 9:44 pm
    Post #20 - August 25th, 2013, 9:44 pm Post #20 - August 25th, 2013, 9:44 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: . . . isn't drinking vinegar be called a shrub? :)

A shrub is a typically a mixture/cocktail that contains vinegar and alcohol. Back in the day, it was also a type of fruit-based spirit.

It'll be me +3 for this year's edition. Not sure what I'll be bringing yet but it'll probably be an adult beverage (or 2) and something to eat, as well.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #21 - August 25th, 2013, 10:00 pm
    Post #21 - August 25th, 2013, 10:00 pm Post #21 - August 25th, 2013, 10:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

A shrub is a typically a mixture/cocktail that contains vinegar and alcohol. Back in the day, it was also a type of fruit-based spirit.

According to wikipedia (italics mine):
    A second type of shrub is a cocktail or soft drink that was popular during America's colonial era, made by mixing drinking vinegar syrup with spirits, water, or carbonated water.[1][4][5] The name also is applied to the sweetened vinegar-based syrup, also known as drinking vinegar, from which the latter drink is made.[3][6][7] Drinking vinegar is infused with fruit juice (and at times herbs and spices) for use in mixed drinks.[6][8][9]

Shrubs can be with or without alcohol.

For recent Culinary Historians meeting, we served a blueberry shrub with carbonated water. It was quite refreshing.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #22 - August 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm
    Post #22 - August 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm Post #22 - August 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

According to wikipedia (italics mine):
    A second type of shrub is a cocktail or soft drink that was popular during America's colonial era, made by mixing drinking vinegar syrup with spirits, water, or carbonated water.[1][4][5] The name also is applied to the sweetened vinegar-based syrup, also known as drinking vinegar, from which the latter drink is made.[3][6][7] Drinking vinegar is infused with fruit juice (and at times herbs and spices) for use in mixed drinks.[6][8][9]

Shrubs can be with or without alcohol.

For recent Culinary Historians meeting, we served a blueberry shrub with carbonated water. It was quite refreshing.

Regards,

Exactly. Drinking vinegar alone is not a shrub, though it is often a component in one.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #23 - August 25th, 2013, 10:51 pm
    Post #23 - August 25th, 2013, 10:51 pm Post #23 - August 25th, 2013, 10:51 pm
    Definitely count SueF and I in. Possibly another on-site cooking thing, perhaps a cardboard box oven for fresh cookies.
    Let's say a dessert and an appetizer.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #24 - August 26th, 2013, 7:32 am
    Post #24 - August 26th, 2013, 7:32 am Post #24 - August 26th, 2013, 7:32 am
    Count me in +4 , maybe more haven't gotten the kid/friend count yet- will update
    for right now, thinking Hot and smoky Baked beans (side dish)
    with no electric-
    I'll bring them piping hot, and they should stay that way in the crock pot for quite a while :wink:
    Will also bring (non-alcoholic) sweet tea- my container is 2 gallons
    1 case of water
    maybe an interesting case or 12 of beer in cans.
    Last edited by irisarbor on August 26th, 2013, 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #25 - August 26th, 2013, 7:40 am
    Post #25 - August 26th, 2013, 7:40 am Post #25 - August 26th, 2013, 7:40 am
    irisarbor wrote:is there any electric if I bring a crock pot?

There is no electric power at the picnic site.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #26 - August 26th, 2013, 8:36 am
    Post #26 - August 26th, 2013, 8:36 am Post #26 - August 26th, 2013, 8:36 am
    I am coming with my son. This is my first LTH picnic, and I am not really set up to bring a large amount of stuff..maybe just a green salad with veggies and nuts and cheese in it? Simple, I know, but I'm not the world's most experienced cook, and I won't have a huge amount of time...I will at least make the buttermilk salad dressing myself, though. Hope that's okay.
    “First we eat, then we do everything else.” ― M.F.K. Fisher
  • Post #27 - August 26th, 2013, 9:24 am
    Post #27 - August 26th, 2013, 9:24 am Post #27 - August 26th, 2013, 9:24 am
    nukegirl wrote:I am coming with my son. This is my first LTH picnic, and I am not really set up to bring a large amount of stuff..maybe just a green salad with veggies and nuts and cheese in it? Simple, I know, but I'm not the world's most experienced cook, and I won't have a huge amount of time...I will at least make the buttermilk salad dressing myself, though. Hope that's okay.

Sounds delicious :) I almost always bring salads as well--we usually need some balance for all the heavier dishes!!

Looking forward to meeting you!
  • Post #28 - August 26th, 2013, 9:44 am
    Post #28 - August 26th, 2013, 9:44 am Post #28 - August 26th, 2013, 9:44 am
    Swingbossa and I for 2 please. I am thinking of getting my hands on some dry ice and bringing an assortment of homemade ice creams. Also some alcoholic beverage concoction (currentlyy thinking a Porch Swing). And maybe some za'atar bread from both Taza and Sanabel.
  • Post #29 - August 26th, 2013, 11:23 am
    Post #29 - August 26th, 2013, 11:23 am Post #29 - August 26th, 2013, 11:23 am
    Moetchandon and I will be there. I'll bring some sort of a critter-based appetizer.
  • Post #30 - August 26th, 2013, 11:27 am
    Post #30 - August 26th, 2013, 11:27 am Post #30 - August 26th, 2013, 11:27 am
    Hi - please put me down with Mr. Leek as well.
    Contribution TBD...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more