LTH Home

Dessert Gourmet, Glenview: Ice cream, cheeses and more

Dessert Gourmet, Glenview: Ice cream, cheeses and more
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dessert Gourmet, Glenview: Ice cream, cheeses and more

Post #1 - October 2nd, 2005, 7:39 am
    Post #1 - October 2nd, 2005, 7:39 am Post #1 - October 2nd, 2005, 7:39 am
    We were in The Glen last evening and happened across Dessert Gourmet. I'd heard of it, but somehow had a completely different idea of what it was like.

This is a pleasant, spacious, brightly lit combination bakery-cafe, ice-cream parlor and cheese shop. There's a case of pastries, cakes and cookies (including black-and-white cookies -- I've no idea if they're authentic), plus mini-quiches and other savories, a display of chocolates; a small case of hand-made gelati and sorbetti, and an excellent selection of cheeses.

We bought some sage cheddar, some farmhouse cheddar from Keen's in Somerset and some raw-milk manchego. The owner, Laura Fieberg, was glad to supply tastes when I wavered over Spanish cheeses.

Even though we were on our way to dinner, we couldn't resist the ice creams. I settled on a deliciously refreshing white-grape sorbet with a touch of wine in it, after wavering over fresh watermelon. Himself chose the intense Mexican-vanilla gelato. Really outstanding. It might be the best sorbet I've had this year.

I also like the whimsy in the way the ice-creams are displayed: Rather than labels, each has a bit of the fresh fruit or the other main ingredient on top.

Dessert Gourmet
    847/486-0772
    The Glen, 2300 Lehigh Ave., Glenview
    9 a.m.-7 p.m. M-Th; -10 p.m. F-Sa
  • Post #2 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:36 pm
    Post #2 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:36 pm Post #2 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:36 pm
    HI,

I finally figured out where this place roosted to find it has closed.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:56 pm
    Post #3 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:56 pm Post #3 - July 2nd, 2007, 3:56 pm
    I was also sad to find out that they had closed. My cousin and his wife had one of their cakes for their wedding and it was absolutely delicious so when I was having my 25th Anniversary party, I had them make the cake. It was a very moist chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling and perfect white buttercream on the outside.

They used to be in Wheeling in an industrial park and I think that they were over extended by opening the retail space.

I was craving another cake and drove there to find them closed. And writing about the cake right now is making me really hungry!
  • Post #4 - July 7th, 2007, 10:17 pm
    Post #4 - July 7th, 2007, 10:17 pm Post #4 - July 7th, 2007, 10:17 pm
    There is a new place that is supposed to open where The Dessert Gourmet was, in Glenview, on Lehigh Road.
    It is a new bakery, deli and cafe called Zingarella.

It hasn't opened yet.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more