LTH Home

Uncle John's BBQ [Mack is Back]

Uncle John's BBQ [Mack is Back]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 10
  • Post #241 - May 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm
    Post #241 - May 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm Post #241 - May 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm
    glennpan wrote:To quote a wise bbq life coach, "Large tip-link combo, sauce on the side". As much as I love ribs, I just think their tips are better, and more representative of what UJs does best. As far as other places in the area, Barbara Ann's is pretty close by, you can taste them against each other.

In terms of things to see and do, I think Hyde Park probably has much more of a selection of places to visit with U of C, and the Museums located there.

Same here. My rule in the area is UJ's for tips-and-links, and Lem's for ribs. That said, I've never had Lem's ribs at 2 pm, so I don't know what they're like at that time. Usually, I hit up Lems anytime between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. My recommendation for the sauce at either is a mix of hot and mild. I usually get sauce on the side, but recently, I've been succumbing to the standard way of getting the barbecue: sauced. However, with the trip back to Oak Park, I would recommend sauce on the side.
  • Post #242 - May 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm
    Post #242 - May 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm Post #242 - May 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm
    kwhyte wrote:Sorry to reply to my own post, butnI realized I forgot a wider question. Is there anywhere else I should be sure to visit in the area? I know about the apple fritters, but the distance and time constraints make them an unappealing gamble. I'm basically free starting in Hyde Park at 2pm and need to be back in Pak Park at 4pm - how would you spend those 2 hours?

You might want to look at 6th Ward Suggestions if you haven't already (I wonder how garsonf made out; we never heard back). But you needn't restrict yourself to such a small area. If you let us know what you're most interested in (cookies, jerk, vegan soul food, to name a few categories) we should be able suggest other places outside the Sixth.
  • Post #243 - May 10th, 2012, 10:36 pm
    Post #243 - May 10th, 2012, 10:36 pm Post #243 - May 10th, 2012, 10:36 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    kwhyte wrote:Sorry to reply to my own post, butnI realized I forgot a wider question. Is there anywhere else I should be sure to visit in the area? I know about the apple fritters, but the distance and time constraints make them an unappealing gamble. I'm basically free starting in Hyde Park at 2pm and need to be back in Pak Park at 4pm - how would you spend those 2 hours?

You might want to look at 6th Ward Suggestions if you haven't already (I wonder how garsonf made out; we never heard back). But you needn't restrict yourself to such a small area. If you let us know what you're most interested in (cookies, jerk, vegan soul food, to name a few categories) we should be able suggest other places outside the Sixth.

Iam in this area often enough... the first choice, by far, is always Uncle John's (Ive been jinxed with UJ's lately - went 3 weeks ago, they were closed on vacation; 2 weeks ago was supposed to be in the area, but wasnt due to heavy rain; last week went again - and they were closed due to a funeral!) A couple of those times I ended up at Barbara Ann's as a result - and Iam sorry to say that BA's is not anywhere near as good at UJ's anymore IMHO. Decent in a pinch, but definitely go to UJ's - it'll be open tomorrow!

(And Id go tip-link combo, as I always do... tho the ribs are very good too IMHO, the links are by far the best in town, and the best single item on the menu - I think the links, at their best, might be the single best sausauge in the city, actually).

As for other places... my 2nd choice, usually, is Uncle Joe's Jerk - now on 47th and King, very close to Hyde Park. Definitely worth a run - its now a nice place where you can sit and eat, and they have IMHO the best Jerk-Chicken in the city (and also very good Curry-Goat, Jerk-Catfish and so on). Id suggest calling ahead (since theyre often on Jamaican time, and might take 15 minutes to make your food... and time is of the essence if you want to hit both UJ's :-)

Id very strongly rec making a run down to 111th for Old Fashioned Donut's Apple Fritter - by far the best in the city. But, if the time constraints make it just impossible... the 2nd best Apple Fritter in the city, IMHO, might well be a quarter mile from Uncle Joe's Jerk (and less than a mile from Hyde Park).. on 47th and Indiana or so, Abundance Bakery. (They also make a fine bread-pudding and banana-pudding). Its proximity to Hyde Park makes it very convenient.

Finally... there are a few Harold's in the area - in Hyde Park, as well as on 47th street, 55th street etc. On 55th (Garfield), near MLK (about 350 East Id guess), you also have Mrs Lee's Good Food - which has received very strong reviews on LTH in the past (for their "herbal chicken" mostly.. I personally havent tried it, but I like their banana pudding etc a lot).

(For food, BTW, what I often do is - you can eat in at Uncle Joe's Jerk as I mentioned above. Or pick up from Uncle John's, or Uncle Joe's too if you prefer... and go to Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap, the famous Hyde Park bar. They have no problem with you bringing in food from elsewhere! And both great bbq and jerk-chicken go great with a beer...)

(Oh, and Medici in Hyde Park has great shakes, Medici Bakery has pretty good desserts... and places like 57th street books are very worth the time to browse thru, if one is so inclined..)

c8w
  • Post #244 - May 11th, 2012, 6:09 am
    Post #244 - May 11th, 2012, 6:09 am Post #244 - May 11th, 2012, 6:09 am
    kwhyte wrote:I'll be on the south side tomorrow ( at the U of C ) and want to take advantage. I'm going to pick up from Uncle John's, and can't quite decide. I really like both the ribs and the hot links, so I think it's either 2 rib tip combos or a slab of ribs + one lrg. link. Any recommendations on which is a better value/gamble for for transport to Oak Park? If it matters, I'll likely be picking up around 2pm.

As far as other things in the area, I'd also suggest Uncle Joe's although you have a great Jerk place in your back yard right around 1st and Madison in Maywood. For Uncle John's, if you want to go the spares route, maybe - a Jumbo Tip / link and a slab. Sauce on the side ONLY. I'd ask for one mild sauce, and one hot. The fries are gonna soak up some porky goodness on the trip home. When you get home, stick the fries in the oven on a baking sheet for a few minutes. They are gonna be limp and lifeless after being stuck steaming in the styrofoam and also wrapped in whatever bag will be used. Sometimes, when they fry the fries HARD, I don't mind them being soaked in pork juice and sauce. Exsenator's BBQ is an awesome example of how the fries can be great soaked and sauced. Their fries may even be better the next day.

Also, think about getting a 15lb box of links (frozen) to take home. Feel free to get one for me. I'd happily come pick it up from you and pay for it. (Not kidding one bit, by the way.)

I envy you.

Did I mention I was not kidding about the frozen links?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #245 - May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 am
    Post #245 - May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 am Post #245 - May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 am
    BTW, Uncle John's is actually open on Sunday this week, for the Memorial Day week, albiet with reduced hours (1-7pm perhaps? Id call and check..) Monday might be reduced hours too... and Memorial Day weekend has, IIRC, specials on offer too - something like $30 for a half-pan of hot links or a half-pan of tips..

(stopped in this weekend, and saw signs proclaiming the above... the tips and links were outstanding as always, still by far the best in the city IMHO).

c8w
  • Post #246 - November 21st, 2012, 8:44 am
    Post #246 - November 21st, 2012, 8:44 am Post #246 - November 21st, 2012, 8:44 am
    Boy missing this joint, anyone been in lately?
  • Post #247 - November 21st, 2012, 10:15 am
    Post #247 - November 21st, 2012, 10:15 am Post #247 - November 21st, 2012, 10:15 am
    I was there a couple weeks ago, got my usual order of wings and the rib tip/hot link combo: tasty as ever.
  • Post #248 - November 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm
    Post #248 - November 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm Post #248 - November 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm
    I visited Uncle John's a few weeks ago. Still all good. I said hi to Mack, he looked good too. Happy holidays to the Team at Uncle John's !!!
  • Post #249 - November 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm
    Post #249 - November 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm Post #249 - November 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm
    Drove by on the way home from work today. Sign posted outside said closed November 22-29.
  • Post #250 - March 9th, 2013, 11:56 am
    Post #250 - March 9th, 2013, 11:56 am Post #250 - March 9th, 2013, 11:56 am
    Hi! This is my first post but I've been lurking for a few years now and this is my favorite place on the internet so I thought I should join!

Anyway, I'm living in Hyde Park with no car. It's probably a faux pas to ask about the neighborhood, but as I've never been around there, I'm wondering what I should expect if I'm walking half a mile from the 4 bus stop at 68th and Cottage Grove. I generally do not let anything get in between me and a good meal, but it is, perhaps, important to note that I am a young, more or less caucasian female with a useless (i.e. vegetarian) male roommate who will not accompany me for BBQ. I understand that street harassment is a reality of urban living but I like to be mentally prepared for it. So, is that something that I might expect from this neighborhood?

Thanks! These pictures of the links are making my mouth water.
  • Post #251 - March 9th, 2013, 12:17 pm
    Post #251 - March 9th, 2013, 12:17 pm Post #251 - March 9th, 2013, 12:17 pm
    Welcome to the board! Good to see another south sider, especially.

Anyhow, I might suggest a couple things. There's actually a King Drive bus route (the #3) that leaves you rather closer to the original UJ's than the Cottage Grove bus would. You can pick it up on Garfield/55th, just west of Washington Park. If you're going during the day time, I don't think there'll be any problems, but as in any part of the city, it's best to travel with (non-vegetarian) friends.

The other alternative is to stick with the Cottage Grove bus and go further south, to 83rd. Uncle John's has opened a branch next to Dat Donut (another fine institution), right off the bus stop. This UJ's is pretty good (though not quite up to the original, in my two stops there so far). Links are the same recipe, but the smoker itself is different, so the end result isn't exactly the same.

And if you haven't had Ribs 'n Bibs yet...well, sometimes it's pretty damn good, other times middling at best. Still a far cry better than most 'BBQ' places around Chicago. If you happen to walk past and the smoker is going at a fine clip, that's probably a good sign to stop in. Their links pale in comparison to Uncle John's, but I'v had some really good tips from there over the years.

And don't forget Lem's, also just off King Drive, and a bit further south from UJ's. At their peak, Lem's links rival Uncle John's.
  • Post #252 - March 9th, 2013, 1:07 pm
    Post #252 - March 9th, 2013, 1:07 pm Post #252 - March 9th, 2013, 1:07 pm
    Barbara Ann's is currently closed. You could compare with Ribs & Bibs or Lem's (among others) in that window. That's-a-Burger is nearby and worth a trip (no seating, order in advance). You could even get down to Top Notch / Jimmy Jamm's instead (if you did have vehicular access during one of those times).
  • Post #253 - March 9th, 2013, 5:46 pm
    Post #253 - March 9th, 2013, 5:46 pm Post #253 - March 9th, 2013, 5:46 pm
    I am plenty adventurous (also female) and have visited the main UJ's location alone but would NOT advise using public transportation to do it.

2 suggestions:

a) igo or zip car

Or

b) post a date you want to go on here and let people know you need a ride and I bet you get a good response! You'll also need to figure out a bar or other indoor spot to eat unless you wait til the weather warms up a bit.

It's worth the effort!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #254 - March 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm
    Post #254 - March 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm Post #254 - March 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm
    I would agree with boudreaulicious here. It's unlikely anything will happen, but I would not recommend taking public transport there and making the half mile walk, either. Just post a date, and I'm sure somebody will be happy to take you. My wife and I are in the neighborhood at least once a week usually.
  • Post #255 - March 12th, 2013, 8:24 pm
    Post #255 - March 12th, 2013, 8:24 pm Post #255 - March 12th, 2013, 8:24 pm
    Yes, on foot or by public transportation is bad idea. I used to bike from Hyde Park and got yelled at regularly, plus snowballs in the winter. I stopped after a group chased me outside Parkway Gardens at 63rd and King - I got away but it didn't seem worth the risk to keep doing it.

That said, I've always had good experiences waiting inside Uncle John's. People are friendly and the food is...worth 9 pages on LTHForum.
  • Post #256 - March 12th, 2013, 9:19 pm
    Post #256 - March 12th, 2013, 9:19 pm Post #256 - March 12th, 2013, 9:19 pm
    Thanks for the post Crotalus and welcome!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #257 - March 13th, 2013, 12:41 am
    Post #257 - March 13th, 2013, 12:41 am Post #257 - March 13th, 2013, 12:41 am
    Binko wrote:My wife and I are in the neighborhood at least once a week usually.

So what I see happening here, on my next visit to town, is a grab-bag of links re-purposed into debreceni or csaibai or gyulai at Binko's homestead. I shall bring the sliders fixins. And chicken rings. If you must.
  • Post #258 - March 13th, 2013, 12:54 pm
    Post #258 - March 13th, 2013, 12:54 pm Post #258 - March 13th, 2013, 12:54 pm
    Crotalus wrote:Yes, on foot or by public transportation is bad idea. I used to bike from Hyde Park and got yelled at regularly, plus snowballs in the winter. I stopped after a group chased me outside Parkway Gardens at 63rd and King - I got away but it didn't seem worth the risk to keep doing it.

That said, I've always had good experiences waiting inside Uncle John's. People are friendly and the food is...worth 9 pages on LTHForum.

I grew up in Parkway Gardens....makes me sad to hear about that experience
  • Post #259 - March 14th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #259 - March 14th, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #259 - March 14th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    tatterdemalion wrote:
    Binko wrote:My wife and I are in the neighborhood at least once a week usually.

So what I see happening here, on my next visit to town, is a grab-bag of links re-purposed into debreceni or csaibai or gyulai at Binko's homestead. I shall bring the sliders fixins. And chicken rings. If you must.

It's csabai! ;) I'm excited as my shipment of paprika and Unicum is coming into town tonight. (I have a friend visiting from Hungary.)
  • Post #260 - March 18th, 2013, 10:33 am
    Post #260 - March 18th, 2013, 10:33 am Post #260 - March 18th, 2013, 10:33 am
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. I think I might have to resort to taking a cab, because I'm hoping to surprise my boyfriend (who lives in Bucktown) with some BBQ for his birthday next Saturday, so it wouldn't just be a quick run from Hyde Park and back...
  • Post #261 - April 3rd, 2013, 7:56 pm
    Post #261 - April 3rd, 2013, 7:56 pm Post #261 - April 3rd, 2013, 7:56 pm
    Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread, but is there a nice spot to eat outdoors near Uncle John's? It's going to be almost 60 tomorrow so I'm leading a small expedition down from Hyde Park via CTA. I'm very excited.
  • Post #262 - April 3rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
    Post #262 - April 3rd, 2013, 11:53 pm Post #262 - April 3rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
    paradiso2001 wrote:Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread, but is there a nice spot to eat outdoors near Uncle John's? It's going to be almost 60 tomorrow so I'm leading a small expedition down from Hyde Park via CTA. I'm very excited.

I think there's a bench at the bus stop diagonally across from Uncle John's. I'm not being facetious; I don't think there are many places to eat within walking distance. You can view the area around Uncle John's with Google Street View.
  • Post #263 - April 4th, 2013, 9:38 am
    Post #263 - April 4th, 2013, 9:38 am Post #263 - April 4th, 2013, 9:38 am
    The easiest CTA route to Uncle Johns is to catch the red line to 95 then catch the 67 bus down 69th street, which stops right in front of UJ's. There is a stop going the other way right across the street. There is not much walking involved. While I probably wouldn't want to be a lone female sitting on a CTA bench anywhere in Chicago, I have always found the immediate neighborhood around UJ's to be pretty tame. I think they are used to seeing strangers making the pilgrimage. It is however, a residential neighborhood, so there are no good places to eat other than somebody's front porch (which might be stretching your welcome).
  • Post #264 - April 5th, 2013, 10:09 am
    Post #264 - April 5th, 2013, 10:09 am Post #264 - April 5th, 2013, 10:09 am
    d4v3 wrote:The easiest CTA route to Uncle Johns is to catch the red line to 95 then catch the 67 bus down 69th street, which stops right in front of UJ's.

Probably not the easiest route from Hyde Park.
  • Post #265 - April 6th, 2013, 11:39 am
    Post #265 - April 6th, 2013, 11:39 am Post #265 - April 6th, 2013, 11:39 am
    Someone please post some recent photos....tips N sparez, missing this place!
  • Post #266 - April 6th, 2013, 5:15 pm
    Post #266 - April 6th, 2013, 5:15 pm Post #266 - April 6th, 2013, 5:15 pm
    I really need to make it to this joint before it's too late..wish it wasn't takeout only though.. will have to scope out the area beforehand to see if there are any decent bars around the area to take it to that aren't too intimidating.
  • Post #267 - April 7th, 2013, 9:10 am
    Post #267 - April 7th, 2013, 9:10 am Post #267 - April 7th, 2013, 9:10 am
    To quote Robert Adams- "Rib Tips were invented because Chicagoans want to eat ribs in the car"
  • Post #268 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Post #268 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:48 pm Post #268 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Possibly (tho I hope from the bottom of my heart that Iam wrong) tragic new on the BBQ front...

Drove down to Uncle John's this Saturday, as I have been doing several Saturdays this summer (its almost always been packed, BTW - overflowing usually, with a line stretching a little out the door, and the tips-and-links have been uniformly outstanding)... except this Saturday I saw no line in the distance as I drove up (and had a bad premonition)...

On getting there, it was closed, and locked. Big sign on the side-window, saying "Thank you for your patronage" - with the news that this location was closed...and to please stop in at their other location, at 82nd and Cottage Grove next to Dat Donut.

It looked (from a distance) that everything inside was still there - smoker and all. Tho I was kind of upset, and didnt get out of the car...

I did drive straight to UJ's on 82nd and Cottage - my first time there. A whole different kind of operation (and I didnt see Mack either)... picked up their jerk-tips and links - cant really make an apples-to-apples comparison (because it was Jerk Tips), but they werent up to UJ standard (nice enough, but dry); the links were decent for a first-time taste, but nowhere near sublime like UJ's almost always were in my mind...

I hope GWiv or someone who knows Mack might be able to tell us more about this - I really really really hope it isnt as it seemed to me :-(

c8w
  • Post #269 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Post #269 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:57 pm Post #269 - September 23rd, 2013, 3:57 pm
    This is sooner than expected, but expected none the less.

http://chicago.grubstreet.com/2013/02/w ... le_jo.html

There is still Mack's godson's place.

http://lthforum.com/bb//viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29166
    Last edited by scottsol on September 23rd, 2013, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #270 - September 23rd, 2013, 4:00 pm
    Post #270 - September 23rd, 2013, 4:00 pm Post #270 - September 23rd, 2013, 4:00 pm
    Wow. I AM sorry to hear that news. I was at the 82nd street location a few weeks ago. I was also underwhelmed. The olny advantage I saw in vistiting the 82nd street location is that they accept plastic.

I ordered the hot link/rib tip combo. The links tasted left over and re-warmed. The tips were so dry it was as though I could strike a match off the bones. I hope Mack comes over to the 82nd street location and presides over the food preparation like he used todo on 69th street. THEY need him there more than ever.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more