LTH Home

Homemade McRib

Homemade McRib
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Homemade McRib

Post #1 - November 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm Post #1 - November 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm
    My tribute to McDonald's limited time offering:

Start with one slab o' spares.

Practice your horrific deboning skills on them (it's okay, leftovers went into the stockpot):

Par-freeze the meat, and grind:

Meanwhile, saw some friggin' wood because you forgot to buy wood chunks and have no other option:

First person to complain about it not being lump charcoal gets it in the kisser:

Shape meat:

Place upon the smoker:

Mmm...mmm! Just like being in Memphis!

Construct your Pressed spare rib of pork à la McDonalds with glace d'Open Pit, dilled gherkins, Spanish onion.
  • Post #2 - November 15th, 2013, 10:26 pm
    Post #2 - November 15th, 2013, 10:26 pm Post #2 - November 15th, 2013, 10:26 pm
    too funny!
  • Post #3 - November 15th, 2013, 11:41 pm
    Post #3 - November 15th, 2013, 11:41 pm Post #3 - November 15th, 2013, 11:41 pm
    Binko,

Was it worth the effort? Did you like it? Did it taste good?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #4 - November 16th, 2013, 12:01 am
    Post #4 - November 16th, 2013, 12:01 am Post #4 - November 16th, 2013, 12:01 am
    Now that's a McRib I'd eat!
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #5 - November 16th, 2013, 12:17 am
    Post #5 - November 16th, 2013, 12:17 am Post #5 - November 16th, 2013, 12:17 am
    Since when is a real McRib made with actual rib meat?
  • Post #6 - November 16th, 2013, 12:24 am
    Post #6 - November 16th, 2013, 12:24 am Post #6 - November 16th, 2013, 12:24 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Binko,

Was it worth the effort? Did you like it? Did it taste good?

Regards,

Oh, yeah, I enjoyed it. My wife liked it, too, and she's not really into barbecue, so I consider that a win. :) Honestly, it's nothing too special. You could just smoke some ground pork and get the same basic idea. It was definitely better than a McRib, at least to me. I think I've mentioned here before that every couple of years I would be enticed by the McRib, only to be sorely disappointed. This was a very reasonable approximation of what I expected a McRib to be.

If anyone is interested in the recipe, there isn't much to it. I approached it as a sausage (as the texture of a McRib is very sausage-like as opposed to hamburger-like.) Just get your rib meat, get it cold (along with your grinder attachments), grind it, add about 2% by weight of salt (I had 800g of pork, so 16g of salt by my scale). I grated a little bit of black pepper in there, too, along with some brown sugar (probably about 8g worth.) Also, about 1/2 cup of water or so. Knead until everything comes together and the mixture becomes tacky. Put in fridge. I didn't sex it up more than that, as the McDonald's ingredient list just says pork, salt, water, dextrose, and some preservative stuff. I felt like I was somewhat cheating with the pepper.

The rest was just smoke it on the WSM, and it was done in about an hour. I glazed it with Open Pit original about 1/2 way through cooking, and flipped the suckers. Why Open Pit (original)? Because a) I was too lazy to make my own sauce and b) it is one of the rare commercial sauces that doesn't contain liquid smoke. If I'm going to go through the trouble of sawing wood to smoke the damn thing, I'm not going to drown it in liquid smoke.

Buns were Aunt Millie's deli rolls (I was just looking for something that looked as close as possible to the McRib roll), and I toasted them in the oven. I dare say, I may have preferred them warm but untoasted. The crackliness detracted from the whole "McRib" experience I was somewhat (but not completely) trying to recreate. Pickles were just Centrella dills, and onions were Spanish yellow onions.
    Last edited by Binko on November 16th, 2013, 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #7 - November 16th, 2013, 12:25 am
    Post #7 - November 16th, 2013, 12:25 am Post #7 - November 16th, 2013, 12:25 am
    nr706 wrote:Since when is a real McRib made with actual rib meat?

It's not. From my understanding, it's mostly shoulder (and other pig parts). But part of the fun here is that is what I was getting at with this post. I was really curious at what a "McRib" would taste like if it were actually made from rib meat.
  • Post #8 - November 16th, 2013, 8:19 am
    Post #8 - November 16th, 2013, 8:19 am Post #8 - November 16th, 2013, 8:19 am
    You make the call:

Exhibit A (McDonalds faux meat McRib)

Exhibit B (Binko's faux McRib W/Real Meat)
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - November 16th, 2013, 8:52 am
    Post #9 - November 16th, 2013, 8:52 am Post #9 - November 16th, 2013, 8:52 am
    Binko wrote:Oh, yeah, I enjoyed it.

Binko,

Not sure whether to laugh, cry or congratulate you. :)

Binko wrote:Why Open Pit (original)? Because a) I was too lazy to make my own sauce and b) it is one of the rare commercial sauces that doesn't contain liquid smoke. If I'm going to go through the trouble of sawing wood to smoke the damn thing, I'm not going to drown it in liquid smoke.

I'm a fan of Open Pit Original as well, its the BBQ sauce I grew up with. Not as sweet as most and, in addition to not containing liquid smoke, lends itself to quick/simple enhancements. (shake of Co-Op Hot Sauce, squirt of mustard, glug of pickle juice, mince of jalapeno, fresh grated onion etc)

Regards,
    Gary
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - November 16th, 2013, 2:49 pm
    Post #10 - November 16th, 2013, 2:49 pm Post #10 - November 16th, 2013, 2:49 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Binko wrote:Oh, yeah, I enjoyed it.

Binko,
    Not sure whether to laugh, cry or congratulate you. :)

I did have an unsettling feeling that I was committing a mortal sin by first deboning and then grinding up a perfectly good slab of spares. But I have to say, they do make for nice sausage meat. I rolled up some of the leftover meat cevapcici style and smoked it along with the patties (though I kept them out of the photos) and those were quite nice, too, as simple smoked pork sausages.
  • Post #11 - November 17th, 2013, 9:06 pm
    Post #11 - November 17th, 2013, 9:06 pm Post #11 - November 17th, 2013, 9:06 pm
    Ahhhh Binko, always pushing the envelope!

Great fun, bien fait!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more