LTH Home

Fat Rice

Fat Rice
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Fat Rice

Post #1 - February 4th, 2014, 6:42 pm
    Post #1 - February 4th, 2014, 6:42 pm Post #1 - February 4th, 2014, 6:42 pm
    For many of us, Fat Rice is one of our favorite restaurants. I know it is for me.

They've won boatloads of accolades, and still are down-to-earth, putting out wonderful food consistently, with good service and no pretension. No reservations, a location not smack dab on Logan Square or on Randolph street, always a wait, yet always service with a smile and superb unique food.

Ronnie Suburban says "Fat Rice remains one of my very favorite places in town. Its distinctive fare, great ingredients and inspired preparations really speak to me. The service is phenomenal, too. It's friendly, supremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic."

Boudreaulicious says "One of only a very small handful of places I'd voluntarily wait for. In fact, one of the few places that I've eaten at multiple times this year."

BNL agrees: "Fat Rice was worth the wait for me. It was one of my best meals for 2013, and unlike anything else I've had in Chicago. To be honest...where else in the world would one find a Portuguese/Asian/African fusion restaurant?"

Vangalder likes the service, too:" I do like that the staff here is very friendly and great about explaining and recommending certain things."

Please consider -

Fat Rice
    2957 W Diversey Ave.
    (773) 661-9170
    Main Fat Rice thread
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm
    Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm
    I've written a lot about this place on the main thread, so I'll limit my comments here.

I'm so glad to see this nomination and I enthusiastically support it. Fat Rice is one of my favorite places and the food is unlike anywhere else in town. The staff is incredibly friendly and the vibe is fun. It's one of the few places where I will happily wait to be seated. As popular as they've become, it doesn't seem to have changed things at all. Sure, they've drawn up a few rules to keep things from getting all 'wild west' in the dining room but other than that, they just keep chugging along, just as they always have. A great candidate!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - February 10th, 2014, 1:26 am
    Post #3 - February 10th, 2014, 1:26 am Post #3 - February 10th, 2014, 1:26 am
    My latest meal at Fat Rice was up there on my top meals of 2013 year. They are putting out innovative and risky dishes, stuff that on paper would sound overboard, but what is delivered are balanced, almost simple dishes without pretension. The place is cozy, friendly and neighborhoody. I support Fat Rice as a GNR!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #4 - February 11th, 2014, 8:20 am
    Post #4 - February 11th, 2014, 8:20 am Post #4 - February 11th, 2014, 8:20 am
    I love Fat Rice. Yes, it has hype and continues to win awards but no one ever said that a GNR had to be a hole in the wall that no one ever heard of. Fat Rice excels at all of the important stuff--special, soulful food; a warm inviting atmosphere; terrific service--it is THE popular spot that I recommend to anyone wanting to check out what is great in Chicago restaurants right now. And I don't see that changing any time soon. Abraham and Adrienne have so much talent and grace--it truly does make this place special. And GNR-worthy!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #5 - February 11th, 2014, 2:54 pm
    Post #5 - February 11th, 2014, 2:54 pm Post #5 - February 11th, 2014, 2:54 pm
    Its Outstanding.
    Full support from this snail.
  • Post #6 - February 12th, 2014, 2:07 am
    Post #6 - February 12th, 2014, 2:07 am Post #6 - February 12th, 2014, 2:07 am
    Full support from me. I try not to be outspoken about any local places on these boards, but I feel like this is a good reason to break the silence. I could eat smokey tofu & mushroom, fat noodles x.o. sauce, and potstickers all day e'ry day...
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
  • Post #7 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am
    Post #7 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am Post #7 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am
    Besides being delicious, it's inspired, interesting food no one else is doing in Chicago.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 12:00 pm
    Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 12:00 pm Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 12:00 pm
    I've never liked Asian Fusion food until I visited Fat Rice. Their approach captures the balance and contrast of textures that is so important in east Asian cuisine while also delivering bold flavors in interesting ways. New restaurants are popping up all over town trying to do something different or interesting, but few have kept my attention the way Fat Rice has. This is easily one of my favorite restaurants in town at the moment and it's a place I'm eager to take out of towners to show off what makes Chicago dining so much fun. I enthusiastically support the nomination.
  • Post #9 - March 8th, 2014, 4:44 pm
    Post #9 - March 8th, 2014, 4:44 pm Post #9 - March 8th, 2014, 4:44 pm
    leek wrote:For many of us, Fat Rice is one of our favorite restaurants. I know it is for me.

Yes please, Fat Rice GNR!

Fat Rice, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide