LTH Home

Rand Red Hots; Chicago Style Dogs Done Right

Rand Red Hots; Chicago Style Dogs Done Right
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Rand Red Hots; Chicago Style Dogs Done Right

Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 10:35 pm
    Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 10:35 pm Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 10:35 pm
    There are hundreds, maybe thousands of Hot Dog joints throughout the city and suburbs, all selling some version of the classic Chicago Style Dog. You'd think, since they're all serving Vienna Beef products (or one of only a handful of other marginally acceptable products), that they'd all be of equal stature and quality. And yet only a handful stand out as exceptional. I nominate Rand Red Hots for a Great Neighborhood Restaurant Award as one of those stand outs.

RRH has done everything right since the day they opened. They took a dilapidated old drive-in from the early '60s and rejuvenated it without going over the top with sappy nostalgia. They kept their menu tight and simple: Hot Dogs, Polish, Fries, and Tamales. Period. Then they focused on turning out the best versions possible of those few menu items.

The Hot Dogs are top notch, with an almost audible snap upon first bite. The Polish, char grilled or steamed is a satisfying, spicy delight. The fresh, hand cut Fries are done to crisp perfection every time. They're so good, when I bring home my leftovers, Mrs. Roadhouse eats them on the spot, saying, "If they're this good cold, how wonderful must they be when they're served hot and fresh?" Oh, my dear, if you only knew...

My love for RRH has since been matched by other LTHers in this thread.

I hope you'll agree that Rand Red Hots brings something special its little island along Rand Road, earning it the distinction of a Great Neighborhood Restaurant.

Thanks,
    Buddy

Rand Red Hots
    1441 Rand Road
    Des Plaines, IL
    (847) 699-0606
    http://www.randredhots.com
  • Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 8:30 am
    Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 8:30 am Post #2 - February 6th, 2014, 8:30 am
    I'm in love with this place, I have to avoid going here every time I go out at lunch.
    Even without radioactive-green relish, this place hits all my hot dog stand buttons: steamed tamales, stainless-steel counters, great fries that you can hear them slamming through the slicer through the wall.

For half the price of nearby Photo's or Superdawg, you get a spot-on dog and fries, and a big dose of what Chicago hot dog stands are all about.

Some quotes from that thread:
    stevez wrote:I guess the biggest difference between Rand Redhots and G & J's is the fries, which are perfectly cooked and are more akin to the crispy beauties served at Red Hot Ranch than the sometimes mushy fries served at G & J's and Jimmy's. There's room in my tent for all of them, though. It just depends on my mood.

G Wiv wrote:Is Rand Red Hots better than Gene & Jude's seems a moot point. Is Rand Red Hots serving a near perfect natural casing dog and crisp fresh cut fries, that's the question, and the answer is a resounding Yes!

irisarbor wrote:I loved the Rand Red Hots, and I'm glad Buddy turned me on to it.
    Their fries were wonderful!
    ..and I'm not really a big french fry eater.....
    and here I am posting about fries.....
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - February 6th, 2014, 9:09 am
    Post #3 - February 6th, 2014, 9:09 am Post #3 - February 6th, 2014, 9:09 am
    As a keeper of the flame for traditional minimalist hot dogs, let me add my ringing endorsement to this nomination. They are really doing things right, and the fact that you can still get bunch tamales is a definite plus. My only complaint about RRH is that they weren't open 30 years ago when my office was nearly across the street.

Rand Red Hots for GNR? Yesssss.

Edited to add a picture of my lunch today.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - February 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm
    Post #4 - February 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm Post #4 - February 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm
    We really enjoyed our one trip here. Though it's still a notch below Gene and Jude's in my book, it's still a wonderful place and a great example of the depression dog. I like the old school atmosphere, which somehow feels more authentic than any number of places like it. And shakes...always a welcome addition.
  • Post #5 - February 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm
    Post #5 - February 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm Post #5 - February 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm
    The most consistently good dogs and fries I've been able to find. I vote YES!
  • Post #6 - February 19th, 2014, 7:32 pm
    Post #6 - February 19th, 2014, 7:32 pm Post #6 - February 19th, 2014, 7:32 pm
    Thumbs up for Rand. Last time I was there the employee shoveling snow in the parking was wearing a hot dog hat, which was just awesome. The hot dog was pretty good too!
  • Post #7 - March 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
    Post #7 - March 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm Post #7 - March 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
    Another resounding yes. It is my go to place for dogs and fries.
  • Post #8 - March 9th, 2014, 11:07 am
    Post #8 - March 9th, 2014, 11:07 am Post #8 - March 9th, 2014, 11:07 am
    Perfectly executed minimalist natural casing dog, fresh cut fries and a drive-thru to boot. GNR, Yes Sir!

Rand Red Hots, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - March 9th, 2014, 3:50 pm
    Post #9 - March 9th, 2014, 3:50 pm Post #9 - March 9th, 2014, 3:50 pm
    Can't add anything more than said other than an emphatic Yes!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more