LTH Home

Do you peel your potatoes for anything?

Do you peel your potatoes for anything?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Do you peel your potatoes for anything?

Post #1 - April 19th, 2014, 1:06 am
    Post #1 - April 19th, 2014, 1:06 am Post #1 - April 19th, 2014, 1:06 am
    After reading the, "Do you peel your tomatoes for salsa thread", is there anything you peel potatoes for? So far I can think of french fries, mashed potatoes, potato chips, potato salad, au gratin, and they all taste good with their skins on!
    Fettuccine alfredo is mac and cheese for adults.
  • Post #2 - April 19th, 2014, 8:06 am
    Post #2 - April 19th, 2014, 8:06 am Post #2 - April 19th, 2014, 8:06 am
    I'm more likely to peel for mashed -- it's just a textural difference.
    On the other hand, I don't peel my apples to make haroset -- it is a little less pasty that way, keeps a little crunch.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - April 19th, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Post #3 - April 19th, 2014, 12:54 pm Post #3 - April 19th, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Blown Z wrote:After reading the, "Do you peel your tomatoes for salsa thread", is there anything you peel potatoes for? So far I can think of french fries, mashed potatoes, potato chips, potato salad, au gratin, and they all taste good with their skins on!

i don't peel potatoes for anything.
  • Post #4 - April 21st, 2014, 8:44 pm
    Post #4 - April 21st, 2014, 8:44 pm Post #4 - April 21st, 2014, 8:44 pm
    I will very rarely cook whole potatoes in their jackets and then slip their skins off if I want silky smooth mashed potatoes (eg, the in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving dinner).

Does anyone peel carrots? I don't, unless I want carrot curls for a salad or garnish.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #5 - April 21st, 2014, 10:08 pm
    Post #5 - April 21st, 2014, 10:08 pm Post #5 - April 21st, 2014, 10:08 pm
    Hi,

I don't mind peeling for gratins or mashed potatoes. If it is for potato salad, then I cook with the skins on and peel afterwards.

In my other life, I once served a meal with potatoes boiled in their skins. All the Russians present politely peeled their potatoes before eating. I'm sure when they compared notes later, they thought I was rude to delivered a cooked unpeeled potato to them.

A few years later, a friend from Moscow visited the the United States. Somehow stuffed potato skins came up in a conversation. They could not believe such a thing was possible. It was inconceivable why anyone would bother to make this and charge for potato skins. We ended up at a Perkins ordering stuffed potato skins costing somewhere around $6. Thereafter just the mere mention of potato skins was enough for convulsive laughter.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - April 22nd, 2014, 5:38 am
    Post #6 - April 22nd, 2014, 5:38 am Post #6 - April 22nd, 2014, 5:38 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    A few years later, a friend from Moscow visited the the United States. Somehow stuffed potato skins came up in a conversation. They could not believe such a thing was possible. It was inconceivable why anyone would bother to make this and charge for potato skins. We ended up at a Perkins ordering stuffed potato skins costing somewhere around $6. Thereafter just the mere mention of potato skins was enough for convulsive laughter.

Regards,

I always felt the same way about rib tips that your friend felt about potato skins. No one ate rib tips back home when I was growing up. I get here and see folks were charging a lot of money for them and I thought that was crazy! You couldn't give tips away back home.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #7 - April 22nd, 2014, 6:10 am
    Post #7 - April 22nd, 2014, 6:10 am Post #7 - April 22nd, 2014, 6:10 am
    Gnocchi
  • Post #8 - April 22nd, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Post #8 - April 22nd, 2014, 12:18 pm Post #8 - April 22nd, 2014, 12:18 pm
    I do for German potato salad, but I will have to dry with peels on sometime.
  • Post #9 - April 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm
    Post #9 - April 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm Post #9 - April 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,

I always felt the same way about rib tips that your friend felt about potato skins. No one ate rib tips back home when I was growing up. I get here and see folks were charging a lot of money for them and I thought that was crazy! You couldn't give tips away back home.

My New-Englander father in law was shocked on a visit here in the 90's when my wife ordered a fairly pricey skate-wing entree at a nice restaurant. He considered skate "chum."
  • Post #10 - April 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm
    Post #10 - April 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm Post #10 - April 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm
    I'll add potato pancakes, scalloped potatoes and hash browns.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #11 - April 22nd, 2014, 10:16 pm
    Post #11 - April 22nd, 2014, 10:16 pm Post #11 - April 22nd, 2014, 10:16 pm
    Definitely for mashed potatoes (though I do boil them in the skins), but otherwise I prefer to leave the skins on.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #12 - April 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm
    Post #12 - April 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm Post #12 - April 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm
    We both think skins - the thicker the better - are the best part of the potato, so we hardly ever peel. Just need enough butter. :wink:
    Suburban gourmand

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more