LTH Home

Four Mexicans and Some Others: A Thread-Hopping Post

Four Mexicans and Some Others: A Thread-Hopping Post
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Four Mexicans and Some Others: A Thread-Hopping Post

Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 9:23 am
    Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 9:23 am Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 9:23 am
    I have a bunch of things to post about different restaurants. At first I thought about posting them in a roundup post like this one, but many of them are about places people have posted about a lot and it would be a shame not to be part of those threads. So instead I'm going to hop from thread to thread-- come along as I discuss four Mexicans, an Ecuadoran, a Salvadoran, and two bars on the far-- make that the faaaaar-- south side.

First stop isn't Mexican per se-- though some Mexicans work there, imagine that in foodservice in Chicago. It's Kitsch'n, the insanely-popular-on-weekends Roscoe Village spot. Nearly the closest restaurant to my house, despite its insane popularity I've never found it much more than a middlingly convenient place. Breakfast is okay, I actually like lunch a little better, but either way I've resisted falling in love with its cutesy humorousness about 70s kitsch, or fallen out of love with it as the neighborhood has become more popular and it has been one of the things that lured people there. (I did not let that prejudice deter from thinking that Volo, owned by the same folks, is the best restaurant by a good little ways on the Roscoe strip, however.)

Nevertheless, as close as it is I find myself there now and then, and so there I was a few weeks back for lunch. Nothing looked that good, because everything looked overfamiliar-- so I took a shot on the chilaquiles, even though I wasn't hung over (as the menu seemed to consider a preprequisite for enjoying the dish).

Well, I liked them a lot. Not strictly authentic, somewhat overabundant with ingredients like cheese and egg, so call them Ameri-Mexi-chilaquiles if you like, coffeeshop omelette chilaquiles, but they were fresh, comfy, brightly flavored, totally scarfable. Damn good, awakened a new interest in that dish for me, which I pursued at...

Click here to continue.

Kitsch'n on Roscoe
    2005 W. Roscoe
    (773) 248-7372
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more