LTH Home

Berwyn Chicken Co. [was: Big Guy's Sausage]

Berwyn Chicken Co. [was: Big Guy's Sausage]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 6
  • Post #61 - October 27th, 2013, 7:53 pm
    Post #61 - October 27th, 2013, 7:53 pm Post #61 - October 27th, 2013, 7:53 pm
    Holy Crap! That looks incredible. Must have.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #62 - November 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Post #62 - November 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm Post #62 - November 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Count me a fan of Big Guy's since VI introduced me. When I am in the neighborhood I stop by. Have enjoyed the crawfish sausage, roast beef and gravy special sammy, and a few others. No clinkers so far, excellent fries and, as others have said, good, friendly service. Have not tried the burger because a good sausage beats a burger every time.

Dining on Roosevelt just keeps improving.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #63 - November 8th, 2013, 4:48 pm
    Post #63 - November 8th, 2013, 4:48 pm Post #63 - November 8th, 2013, 4:48 pm
    Love the return of turducken season!
  • Post #64 - November 24th, 2013, 8:57 am
    Post #64 - November 24th, 2013, 8:57 am Post #64 - November 24th, 2013, 8:57 am
    I had the Turducken sausage last night and it was out of this world good, with the toppings enhancing the sausage flavor to the max. The fries had great flavor and didn't wimp out on me. Ate it next door at Bill's bar. Went great with a cold beer. The nice patron's in the bar were raving about Big Guy's corn dogs. I came very close to going back right then and there. Next time!
  • Post #65 - December 6th, 2013, 11:27 am
    Post #65 - December 6th, 2013, 11:27 am Post #65 - December 6th, 2013, 11:27 am
    So in the spirit of Christmas I made a reindeer sausage, which we are calling here at Big Guys the "Rudolph Sausage." This is 50% reindeer, 25% pork and 25% beef. We seasoned it with red wine, blueberries, real blueberry syrup, fresh thyme and a little bit of garlic. We finish it on the grill and top it with goat cheese and caramelized onions. It just isn't Christmas without a Rudolph Sausage. I hope you guys are able to make it in and try one.
  • Post #66 - December 15th, 2013, 4:51 pm
    Post #66 - December 15th, 2013, 4:51 pm Post #66 - December 15th, 2013, 4:51 pm
    B. O'Connor wrote:So in the spirit of Christmas I made a reindeer sausage, which we are calling here at Big Guys the "Rudolph Sausage." This is 50% reindeer, 25% pork and 25% beef. We seasoned it with red wine, blueberries, real blueberry syrup, fresh thyme and a little bit of garlic. We finish it on the grill and top it with goat cheese and caramelized onions. It just isn't Christmas without a Rudolph Sausage. I hope you guys are able to make it in and try one.

I had a Rudolph yesterday, and it hit the spot, red nose and all. A little boozy, a little gamey, nice snap and chew without being dry, herbal, and the goat cheese offset was a great choice. The standard hamburger is still the most ingeniously balanced topping combo out there (love the pickle quality), and there is serious grill-crust getting on there; hard to pass up each time. The catering menu post has been moved to our Professional Forum here.
  • Post #67 - December 20th, 2013, 9:19 am
    Post #67 - December 20th, 2013, 9:19 am Post #67 - December 20th, 2013, 9:19 am
    going for an early lunch today if anyone wants to join me, I expect to be there by 11:15AM.

So I did end up going for lunch today, a neighbor joined me for the trip. We split a burger & the special of the day, a grilled shrimp po' boy.
    Santander wrote:The standard hamburger is still the most ingeniously balanced topping combo out there (love the pickle quality)
    spot on, the pickle quality is one of the best I've had on a burger. I was disappointed in two things about the burger, it wasn't cooked to a medium rare as requested and there was a pronounced flavor of seasoning salt. I didn't see them put it on the burger while cooking but next time I'll make sure to ask for the burger w/o the seasoning salt. The addition of slivered fried onions was a surprise addition as I didn't read the burger description closely. Anyone know if Big Guy's serves grilled onions on the burger? (I believe I would have preferred those to the fried).
    From the quality I was able to taste, I think if it had been cooked to what I ordered & getting one w/o seasoning salt, this would be a destination burger for me.

We both REALLY enjoyed the grilled shrimp po' boy, 7 plump shrimp, grilled nicely so that they were not overcooked.
    Again a bit heavy with the seasoning/salt but a very worthwhile sandwich.

I need to return soon, that crawfish sausage sandwich was calling out to me.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #68 - February 20th, 2014, 9:02 am
    Post #68 - February 20th, 2014, 9:02 am Post #68 - February 20th, 2014, 9:02 am
    Big Guy's is consistently cranking out tubular treats from their triangular location.

Big Guys Sausage Stand

Yesterday's lunch consisted of a Maxwell Polish with giardiniera added to the traditional grilled onions and mustard.

Big Guy's Maxwell Street Polish

The Polish along with the hot dog are the only two sausages not made in house these days. Big Guy's wisely has chosen to go with de facto standard Vienna products for these two offerings, and I agree wholeheartedly with their choice. The flavor profile of the polish is exactly the same as those served at Jim's Original and Maxwell St. Express, as opposed to the less porky/smoky versions served at Wolfy's, Portillo's, et al. While the Wolfy's version of the product is my preferred variant, Big Guy's knocked this out of the park AFAIC.

All the issues with the fries being limp (as discussed earlier in this thread) are in the rear view mirror. Mine were perfectly fried and crisp and right up there in the top tier of burger stand fries.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #69 - March 31st, 2014, 12:30 pm
    Post #69 - March 31st, 2014, 12:30 pm Post #69 - March 31st, 2014, 12:30 pm
    I made it to Big Guy's on Saturday afternoon. Had the crawfish sausage sandwich, which met the high expectations I had. I ate in and realized quickly that attacking this meal would best be done standing. My first attempted bite of the extremely hot and juicy sausage resulted in a splattering of grease and juices on the window. :oops: Once it was cooler to eat, I devoured it. The fries were perfectly done and had plenty of the crispy bits -- my favorite part of an order of fries. Next time, I might try BG style, but the plain ones hit the spot.

I took a cheddar brat and cup of gumbo home for Mr. X. He reported the brat was good. We crisped up the fries in the oven as they didn't travel well. The gumbo is still in the fridge -- we were both full.

Thumbs up for Big Guy's!
    -Mary
  • Post #70 - May 24th, 2014, 1:51 pm
    Post #70 - May 24th, 2014, 1:51 pm Post #70 - May 24th, 2014, 1:51 pm
    Obviously the sausages and dogs are the way to go, but man, I had an incredible burger here yesterday, cooked to desired doneness and perfectly balanced with fried onions, pickles and secret sauce. Absolutely delicious, and to my mouth better than more hyped burgers at the likes of Au Cheval (for one).
  • Post #71 - May 24th, 2014, 2:37 pm
    Post #71 - May 24th, 2014, 2:37 pm Post #71 - May 24th, 2014, 2:37 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:Obviously the sausages and dogs are the way to go, but man, I had an incredible burger here yesterday, cooked to desired doneness and perfectly balanced with fried onions, pickles and secret sauce. Absolutely delicious, and to my mouth better than more hyped burgers at the likes of Au Cheval (for one).

Really :?: At this point pretty much the entire menu is the way to go here :!: :) :wink:

I too really love the burger, and nearly always get it if I have someone to share/split. Better than Au Cheval? Well, let me relate something that happened the other day. I was eating a falafal at Fattoush, in Worth, a really great place that is not getting the love it deserves, but that's not my point. My point was that all that falafal are different, I mean all the ones I like, like Naf Naf, Falafil, Jerusalem Cafe, etc., but none is in essence, "better." I like each in its own way. So, same with burgers. I can eat a Mr. D's char cooked burger one day, the griddled mess of Au Cheval the next, and then if Big Guy's is on the agenda, not skip a 3rd burger.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #72 - May 27th, 2014, 12:37 pm
    Post #72 - May 27th, 2014, 12:37 pm Post #72 - May 27th, 2014, 12:37 pm
    Well, yeah. Except in my case Big Guy's means no drive and no wait, no front of house hassles and no mad rush to beat the crowds. So from my perspective, yeah: better. :D
  • Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:54 pm
    Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:54 pm Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:54 pm
    New menu afoot, and by that I mean not what's offered, really, but the way it's offered. No more daily specials. Specials have now been incorporated (I think) into the regular menu, with the exception of prime rib and shrimp po' boy, which are still weekend only (again, I think). No more hot dog "kickers" to be added to an order. And worst of all, no more fries with every order! Fries are now a la carte. Hope things are well in the world of Big Guys.
  • Post #74 - June 12th, 2014, 1:03 am
    Post #74 - June 12th, 2014, 1:03 am Post #74 - June 12th, 2014, 1:03 am
    I tested out the updated menu with a root beer float (had never noticed ice cream here before), pork chop sandwich, and an order of buffalo bleu fries. This ranked with the tastiest orders I've had from Big Guy's, reliable at every hour.

The handcut fries were longer and seemed single-fried rather than their more recent dry double-fried, more like Mr. D's Shish-Kabobs, perfect for this application, much better than their original attempts at single-fried handcut. The pork chop was bone-in, of high quality, coarse salt-and-pepper, smoky peppers, mustard, and on that totally decadent brioche they, Burger Boss, and Russell's 2.0 are using. I might ask for french bread next time since while it was the perfect diameter for the chop, it was almost gilding the lily.

At $2 and change for the dogs and $1.75 for awesome fries, they're still just about at Portillo's or Buona pricing and delivering a product I'd pick any day. Their fancier housemade sausages and burgers and specials are still under Franks 'n Dawgs and Hot Doug's "Specials" menu. I'm a partisan but am prepared to fault anyplace for poor execution or planning, and what I've had lately is as strong or stronger then ever.
  • Post #75 - August 27th, 2014, 8:28 am
    Post #75 - August 27th, 2014, 8:28 am Post #75 - August 27th, 2014, 8:28 am
    Mr. X and I stopped at Big Guy's last Saturday. Corn dog for him, 12th Street Polish for me, side of BG fries to share. The corn dog was good, but doesn't reach the level of Wiener and Still Champion's. I really enjoyed the spicy grilled onions on the polish. Those fries...oh, those fries! I likes fries, but usually only need a few to scratch the itch. I couldn't stop eating these.

I haven't been to Big Guy's often, but each time, I've been struck by the friendliness of the staff. They've got a real nice crew there.
    -Mary
  • Post #76 - August 28th, 2014, 10:45 am
    Post #76 - August 28th, 2014, 10:45 am Post #76 - August 28th, 2014, 10:45 am
    Agreed on the staff. Also, I've come to like the optional fries, because frankly, they're bad for you! Also, this leads to more sharing and less throwing away.

Been looking forward to trying the smoked meatloaf sandwich, when it shows up again. They were selling reubens recently, too.
  • Post #77 - August 28th, 2014, 12:37 pm
    Post #77 - August 28th, 2014, 12:37 pm Post #77 - August 28th, 2014, 12:37 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:Agreed on the staff. Also, I've come to like the optional fries, because frankly, they're bad for you! Also, this leads to more sharing and less throwing away.

Been looking forward to trying the smoked meatloaf sandwich, when it shows up again. They were selling reubens recently, too.

Reubens?
    WHAT???
    WHHHAAAAT???
    I need to get on their mailing list or something.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #78 - September 3rd, 2014, 1:13 am
    Post #78 - September 3rd, 2014, 1:13 am Post #78 - September 3rd, 2014, 1:13 am
    As people have made mention on here we stopped our Daily Specials and we are now doing weekly specials, specifically weekday specials because we do still sell Shrimp Po'Boys and Prime Rib sandwiches on the weekends. This week is a Turkey Club pictured below. This is the first time we've ever sold a turkey club and we wanted to make it traditional but huge and with really high quality ingredients. We put lots of hand carved turkey and homemade bacon on toasted challah bread with local tomatoes, romaine and Hellmans. I saw a few people make mention of our other specials like smoked meat loaf and corned beef, if you'd like to follow our specials we post them on Facebook every week.
    club.jpg
  • Post #79 - September 3rd, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Post #79 - September 3rd, 2014, 4:49 pm Post #79 - September 3rd, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Wow. Real turkey, real mayo? You'd be surprised at how many restaurants can't even do that these days. See you tomorrow round 11a. (Prolly Friday too.) Hell, maybe tonight as well.
    I'm not even kidding, either.

I missed yer Reubens, and I'm pretty sad. Not missing a Club with turkey and mayo,tho. It's almost a shame that turkey and mayo are almost a thing of the past. Now it's "Deli Turkey" (whatever that concoction is,) and "Salad Dressing" when you order a Club sammich at a lot of joints these days.

Thanks for bringin sexy back, Big Guys!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #80 - September 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm
    Post #80 - September 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm Post #80 - September 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm
    This Club is pure insanity. If you can withstand the decadence, it'll be the best thing you've eaten in a long time. Without going into the realm of foie gras, or lobster and caviar club "renditions," this is the best one on the planet. Straight up turkey, bacon, LTM. (I asked for a tad extra mayo.) It's amazing how delicious food is when it's real.
    Luuurve.
    I might get one tomorrow if I'm hungry again by then.
    Definitely, not for kids. (Though they might wanna try and conquer it too!)

I keep promising myself to get here more than I do.
  • Post #81 - September 4th, 2014, 8:52 pm
    Post #81 - September 4th, 2014, 8:52 pm Post #81 - September 4th, 2014, 8:52 pm
    I was going to leave this one be, but yes, a ridiculously good effort. As good as the Texas toast, crisp bacon, and carved Thanksgiving bird are, it was the ripe, jeweled, red, summer tomatoes that pushed this over the edge for me. This sandwich was $12-and-change with no fries and worth it - it fed a happy two at our place.
  • Post #82 - September 5th, 2014, 6:34 am
    Post #82 - September 5th, 2014, 6:34 am Post #82 - September 5th, 2014, 6:34 am
    Santander wrote: As good as the Texas toast, crisp bacon, and carved Thanksgiving bird are, it was the ripe, jeweled, red, summer tomatoes that pushed this over the edge for me. This sandwich was $12-and-change with no fries and worth it - it fed a happy two at our place.

Right on with the tomato.
    And for those who know how cheap I am, this $12-and-change sammich was worth every damn penny. I would gladly get another one.

Matt, if you can believe it, I ate the whole damn thing. Took me damn near two hours. I should have just wrapped up the 2nd half of it, but I took one bite, and that was it. Some kind of bacon based euphoria set in, and I think I heard the theme from Rocky playing in my head during the last three or four bites.
  • Post #83 - September 5th, 2014, 5:23 pm
    Post #83 - September 5th, 2014, 5:23 pm Post #83 - September 5th, 2014, 5:23 pm
    Holy crap, that Club was something else. Indulgent in all the best ways, but fresh enough to withstand the sheer over the topness. I'd find it hard to believe anyone else in the city comes close to this awesome monster. A run don't walk situation for any hungry people nearby.
  • Post #84 - September 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm
    Post #84 - September 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm Post #84 - September 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm
    I went to Big Guys today with my family hoping to try one of the reubens mentioned above and could not have been more displeased. I wish I had listened to the kids and went to McDonald's. At least I would have just had a below average meal. I was told that the reubens were a specialty item that was not on the regular menu, and it was not today's special. I went with the buffalo chicken sausage. It was the driest sausage I had ever eaten. Though I was hungry, I threw half of it away. Good thing I had the hot dog to fall back on. It was fine, nothing special and a step or two below Portillos. I also tried the chili. One of the worst I have ever had. It was sweet, disgustingly sweet. I wondered out loud if they made a mistake and used Valida onions instead of yellow onions. After 4 bites, it joined my sausage in the garbage. My wife and the kids shared the sliders. Average at best, they also were dry. My wife got them with the grill onions which she promptly removed from her sandwich. The fries were so-so. None of us like the ketchup or cheese sauce that accompanied it. I have eaten here 4 or 5 times in the past. Generally, the food is better than today though usually their sausages tend to be dry and overcooked. The burgers I have had in the past were outstanding and if I ever go back, I will probably get one of those.

Though, I think today was an outlier, I have eaten here enough to consider it average to above average and definitely not a GNR.
  • Post #85 - September 6th, 2014, 3:42 pm
    Post #85 - September 6th, 2014, 3:42 pm Post #85 - September 6th, 2014, 3:42 pm
    Possible reason for today's bad showing: Brendan is at the big car show in Berwyn with some of the crew flippin burgers and snausages.
  • Post #86 - September 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm
    Post #86 - September 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm Post #86 - September 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm
    Just curious--if you consistently dislike the texture of the sausages, why do you keep ordering them? Especially if there are other things you like and many others recommended here and elsewhere. Just seems kinda masochistic :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #87 - September 6th, 2014, 4:46 pm
    Post #87 - September 6th, 2014, 4:46 pm Post #87 - September 6th, 2014, 4:46 pm
    I keep thinking that maybe it was just by chance that they sucked in the past given the glowing praises I have read on this forum. I thought I would give them one more chance. I like well crafted sausages. I have been to Hot Dougs three times and every time the sausages were amazing. Not that this in any way is in that category. I was hoping for better, I guess I have learned my lesson.
  • Post #88 - October 10th, 2014, 1:31 am
    Post #88 - October 10th, 2014, 1:31 am Post #88 - October 10th, 2014, 1:31 am
    Special this week (may be finished, call ahead): house-smoked pastrami. I went back for 1/2 lb after the sandwich. This has great promise - perfectly spiced, not too salty, and very fatty cuts, moist, just sliced slightly more thinly and cooked slightly more tightly and evenly than my ideal LTH-picnic-variety burnt pastrami ends. A very good effort. I hope is a hit and repeat and that I get to the next batch early on.
  • Post #89 - October 21st, 2014, 8:13 pm
    Post #89 - October 21st, 2014, 8:13 pm Post #89 - October 21st, 2014, 8:13 pm
    It didn't knock it out of the park nearly as hard as the perfect turkey club did, but the smoked meatloaf sandwich special with bacon, fried onion and BBQ sure hit the spot.
  • Post #90 - March 15th, 2015, 1:23 pm
    Post #90 - March 15th, 2015, 1:23 pm Post #90 - March 15th, 2015, 1:23 pm
    Yes, there's always something new and good to try. Right now, corned beef.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more