LTH Home

Leghorn - chicken sandwiches w/an agenda in Humboldt Park

Leghorn - chicken sandwiches w/an agenda in Humboldt Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - March 21st, 2014, 7:29 am
    Post #31 - March 21st, 2014, 7:29 am Post #31 - March 21st, 2014, 7:29 am
    Melissa, for what its worth a skilled butcher can break down and bone approx 40-50 chickens per hour by himself. Assuming that each chicken yields approx 6 sandwiches (2 breast portions, 2 thighs) and taking a low end estimate of 35 chickens per hour, each butcher can produce 140 sandwiches per hour. You could have two butchers breaking down chickens for 4 hours of an 8 hour shift and end up with over 1100 sandwiches. So long story short, I don't buy the labor bottleneck excuse. If there are spacial constraints as far as prep areas go, then you have an overnight butcher and an AM butcher. I suspect the 86'ing issue is strictly marketing as opposed to them not being able to figure out operations.
  • Post #32 - March 21st, 2014, 8:34 am
    Post #32 - March 21st, 2014, 8:34 am Post #32 - March 21st, 2014, 8:34 am
    I want to meet and then hire the butcher who for 8 hours every day can not only break down but de-bone 50 chickens per hour.

Bourbon
  • Post #33 - March 21st, 2014, 11:27 am
    Post #33 - March 21st, 2014, 11:27 am Post #33 - March 21st, 2014, 11:27 am
    jct78 wrote:Melissa, for what its worth a skilled butcher can break down and bone approx 40-50 chickens per hour by himself. Assuming that each chicken yields approx 6 sandwiches (2 breast portions, 2 thighs) and taking a low end estimate of 35 chickens per hour, each butcher can produce 140 sandwiches per hour. You could have two butchers breaking down chickens for 4 hours of an 8 hour shift and end up with over 1100 sandwiches. So long story short, I don't buy the labor bottleneck excuse. If there are spacial constraints as far as prep areas go, then you have an overnight butcher and an AM butcher. I suspect the 86'ing issue is strictly marketing as opposed to them not being able to figure out operations.

I've talked to a chef who "did the math" like you, and he basically has your take that it's pure marketing.
  • Post #34 - March 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm
    Post #34 - March 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm Post #34 - March 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm
    Is anyone BYOB'ing here or is more of a "hit and run" type of place?
  • Post #35 - March 21st, 2014, 2:14 pm
    Post #35 - March 21st, 2014, 2:14 pm Post #35 - March 21st, 2014, 2:14 pm
    TheJesster wrote:Is anyone BYOB'ing here or is more of a "hit and run" type of place?

I actually went the other way and took my purchase across the street to Sportsman's Club, where I enjoyed it with an Old Style :shock:

I can't say what others were doing because there were no customers eating in while I was there.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - March 24th, 2014, 1:43 pm
    Post #36 - March 24th, 2014, 1:43 pm Post #36 - March 24th, 2014, 1:43 pm
    Did takeout around 2p yesterday (Sunday). Rap was on but it wasn't blasting, just some Outkast, no worries if you have kids older than 10, they probably already listen to them. Went with a Nashville Spicy thigh on a bun with pickles and a side of mayo. They were, uh, out of fries. Not sure if this can be attributed to the fact that their spuds come from a small organic farm in Idaho where only so many potatoes can grow because they like to give them space when they sprout or what. I keed, but anyway I was left with just a sandwich. Maybe the hype was too much because I liked it but it didn't wow or make me feel I need to get back for another. Though I'm sure I'll be back. It's not far and makes for a good chicken sandwich when the taste for one hits.
  • Post #37 - March 24th, 2014, 2:59 pm
    Post #37 - March 24th, 2014, 2:59 pm Post #37 - March 24th, 2014, 2:59 pm
    Da Beef wrote:They were, uh, out of fries. Not sure if this can be attributed to the fact that their spuds come from a small organic farm in Idaho where only so many potatoes can grow because they like to give them space when they sprout or what.

LOL :lol:
  • Post #38 - March 24th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Post #38 - March 24th, 2014, 9:58 pm Post #38 - March 24th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Clearly, there's a political agenda here that references Chick Fil A. The carry-out menu boasts "WE ARE OPEN ALL DAY ON SUNDAY." (their caps, not mine). Also mentioned is the fact that 2% of all profit is donated to organizations that support gay rights. Free, branded birth control is offered too (would you like a condom with that sandwich?) The menu also informs that corporate bullshit is abhorred.

Really? When I run into this stuff the only thought I have goes sumpthin like, "shut up and cook me some chickin' fry boy. Let the best samitch win. Posuer."
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #39 - March 25th, 2014, 3:46 pm
    Post #39 - March 25th, 2014, 3:46 pm Post #39 - March 25th, 2014, 3:46 pm
    Pursuit wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Clearly, there's a political agenda here that references Chick Fil A. The carry-out menu boasts "WE ARE OPEN ALL DAY ON SUNDAY." (their caps, not mine). Also mentioned is the fact that 2% of all profit is donated to organizations that support gay rights. Free, branded birth control is offered too (would you like a condom with that sandwich?) The menu also informs that corporate bullshit is abhorred.

Really? When I run into this stuff the only thought I have goes sumpthin like, "shut up and cook me some chickin' fry boy. Let the best samitch win. Posuer."
    I must say I agree. I have very little appetite for politics of any leaning. A heads-up like this is enough for me to decide to avoid a place.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #40 - March 25th, 2014, 5:38 pm
    Post #40 - March 25th, 2014, 5:38 pm Post #40 - March 25th, 2014, 5:38 pm
    Well... more sandwiches for me I guess!
  • Post #41 - March 25th, 2014, 6:05 pm
    Post #41 - March 25th, 2014, 6:05 pm Post #41 - March 25th, 2014, 6:05 pm
    I ate there today for lunch and quite enjoyed myself. The place was much nicer than the dark Italian spot I remember being in there before and the staff was friendly and efficient. I happen to like rap music, so the music didn't bother me in the least. I had the nashville hot breast on a bun. Forgot to add lettuce or tomato, and didn't get offered a sauce (nor did I request one) so it was the basics for me. I also ordered the kale salad on the side. I really enjoyed my chicken, especially with a splash of hot sauce from the big bottle they had by the water. The kale salad was very good, but pretty small for $5. I think I'll pass on that next time. My fave kale salad these days is over at Antique Taco by the way. That is a salad. :)

Anyway I picked up two sandwiches to go, one for a co-worker who couldn't make it over (he enjoyed it very much) and one for my son's lunch tomorrow. Maybe I'll report back what he thought of it...

But I'll definitely be back. And if they ever run out of chicken I'll walk across the street and eat at Lockdown.

Dirk
    Dirk van den Heuvel
  • Post #42 - March 29th, 2014, 2:44 pm
    Post #42 - March 29th, 2014, 2:44 pm Post #42 - March 29th, 2014, 2:44 pm
    Finally made it there today. We went to Winchester for brunch (completely meh on all accounts), and we still hungry once we left. I had the Nashville breast on a biscuits with extra pickles. Buddy had pickle-brined breast on the bun with mayo and tomato. Both were fantastic. Very juicy chicken, super awesome flaky biscuit, sharp and tangy pickles. I'll definitely be back.

And LOL @ people melting about the rap music or the political agenda. Don't over think it. Eat the food, enjoy it or don't, and move on.
  • Post #43 - March 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm
    Post #43 - March 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm Post #43 - March 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm
    epicFades wrote:And LOL @ people melting about the rap music or the political agenda. Don't over think it. Eat the food, enjoy it or don't, and move on.

There's no way to not notice such an agenda being pushed in one's face . . . and my politics line up completely with theirs. Food was solid, though.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #44 - April 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm
    Post #44 - April 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm Post #44 - April 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm
    Finally made it here. Chicken sandwich was good, I still prefer Analogue's though.

My boyfriend wanted to come with me even though he doesn't like chicken at all. Had a bunch of the sides and I would definitely not recommend any of them. Gloopy over-sweetened slaw, a bland kale salad, a mediocre under-seasoned potato salad. Stick with the chicken.
  • Post #45 - April 7th, 2014, 10:34 am
    Post #45 - April 7th, 2014, 10:34 am Post #45 - April 7th, 2014, 10:34 am
    I was at Leghorn last week, and I have to say I hated it. I ordered a pickle brined breast on a biscuit. I can't remember being so disappointed. Biscuit was bland, dry and hard (I think they were from the same batch Shemp made when his wife hit the table with one and it broke part of table- "that's that cheap modern furniture!"). Chicken was bland. The pickles were pretty much like cucumbers which I also don't care for. The fries were ok, but nothing special. Nori fries? Were they even potatoes? I threw half of the meal away. I guess I'm old school. I don't want kale salads or nori fries. I want a buttery biscuit, real fries and dill pickles. :wink:
  • Post #46 - May 18th, 2014, 8:50 pm
    Post #46 - May 18th, 2014, 8:50 pm Post #46 - May 18th, 2014, 8:50 pm
    Hot. Thigh. Bun. Loved it. Respectfully huge sandwich for $6. Buttermilk Rancho Verde sauce good but not really necessary. Biscuits are for soaking up gravy or as a support for good jam. They don't belong on a sandwich--sorry folks. But the Leghorn bun was perfect for holding that big ass juicy thigh. I was fortunate to have it brought to me by a kind friend so I never had to leave my bar seat across the street. Sides were lame but who cares. Sportsmen's and Leghorn--dangerous combo.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #47 - May 25th, 2014, 10:56 am
    Post #47 - May 25th, 2014, 10:56 am Post #47 - May 25th, 2014, 10:56 am
    They were "out" of buns when we visited Friday around 1:30pm. 4 other customers at the time. We both had the pickle brined on biscuits. Chicken was under seasoned to us. Biscuit was forgettable. Soundtrack wasn't very loud, so not offensive. What was offensive, however, was the 12 oz cup (might have been a 10 oz cup) of lemon squeeze half filled with ice and a half lemon floating in it, which I'm guessing yielded 5-6 oz of "lemon aide" for $3.00.

Also, what's with this politically correct crap of not selling mainstream soda? I'm referring to diet coke, Coke's #1 selling product.

Perhaps I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd been across the street drinking at Sportsmen's.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #48 - May 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm
    Post #48 - May 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm Post #48 - May 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm
    Not to mention a $2 pickle.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #49 - June 11th, 2014, 7:22 pm
    Post #49 - June 11th, 2014, 7:22 pm Post #49 - June 11th, 2014, 7:22 pm
    Element Collective is bringing its Leghorn Chicken concept in Ukrainian Village to River North. This second location will be called Leghorn Cafe and will take over the shuttered Ohio House Coffee Shop on LaSalle Street.

That iconic mid-century, modern-designed cafe attached to the Ohio House Motel was originally leased by Heisler Hospitality to open a restaurant called the Buttered Biscuit. Partners Matt Eisler and Kevin Heisner, citing other projects taking precedence, signed the lease over to Element Collective.

"Ultimately it was our commitment to our landlord not to endure another summer with a boarded-up space that led us to go in a different direction," Mr. Eisler said. "As a good friend recently told me, 'Some of the best deals you can do are sometimes the ones you have to pass on.' " For all parties involved, this was the case here."

The cafe attached to the Ohio House closed in April 2013.

So, come early fall, Leghorn Cafe will open its doors ahead of the overhauled motel. Watch for a new breakfast menu, created by chef Jared Van Camp, along with Leghorn Chicken's sandwiches made from sustainably raised chicken served "Nashville hot" or "pickle brined" on buns or a buttermilk biscuit.

Breakfast at the redesigned 800-square-foot space will start daily at 7 a.m. and offer items such as biscuits with house-churned butters and jams, a breakfast biscuit with eggs, bacon and cheese, and Stumptown coffee.

Following breakfast, a menu like that at Leghorn Chicken will be offered and the restaurant will remain open into the night, according to Element Collective partner Chris Dexter. Like the original Leghorn, this spot will be BYOB.

The space will have about 22 seats spread out among three booths, stools at a drink rail and a couple of tables and 10 stools set at two counters as well as a grab-and-go service.

With this opening, Element Collective, which also owns Kinmont, Nellcote and RM Champagne in Chicago, seeks to further expand Leghorn Chicken. The company is exploring locations in Andersonville, East Lakeview and Old Town and also markets outside Chicago. Mr. Dexter declined to say which markets those might be.

Mr. Eisler said a national restaurant group he would not name had approached him about partnering in the Buttered Biscuit concept. "Given the right circumstances, we'd love to do it someday," he said.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... use-space#
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #50 - November 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm
    Post #50 - November 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm Post #50 - November 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm
    Interested to see how the new place at the Ohio House does. Given that the motel parking lot is often full of cabs and the area is teeming with tourists, I'm not sure how they'll do with $7.75 for a donut and coffee. I'm sure it will be tasty, but that's steep. Not to mention writing bullshit on the back of the menu - scares the kid-toting tourists. But maybe the folks from Hubbard Street will come up for a late night bite. Bit of a hike from the Loop for lunch, but Xoco does well nearby so hopefully they can attract a crowd after the initial lines die down.

http://chicago.eater.com/2014/10/31/713 ... iver-north
  • Post #51 - November 4th, 2014, 7:56 am
    Post #51 - November 4th, 2014, 7:56 am Post #51 - November 4th, 2014, 7:56 am
    $7.75 for a donut and coffee.. that is robbery
  • Post #52 - November 4th, 2014, 8:12 pm
    Post #52 - November 4th, 2014, 8:12 pm Post #52 - November 4th, 2014, 8:12 pm
    $7.75 for a donut and coffee.. that is robbery

So, with tax & tip, that's a ten-spot for coffee and a donut, or nine for a single biscuit and coffee. Jaw-dropping.
  • Post #53 - November 5th, 2014, 7:37 pm
    Post #53 - November 5th, 2014, 7:37 pm Post #53 - November 5th, 2014, 7:37 pm
    Have only been to the Humboldt location once. Got a Nashville thigh on a bun and a brined breast also on a bun, supposedly for the bride. Kale salad on the side and an order of hush puppies while I waited for the chicken.

Hush puppies were tasty enough, if a little dry for me even with the dipping sauce. I know that is a flaw in my approach - they are not something one should eat all alone, more of a side dish. Both sandwiches were good - the Bride had not eaten hers two hours later, so I ate that one too. I admit a bias here - I do not really understand the idea of a deep fried, breaded piece of chicken on a big piece of bread - too much starch. Still, I enjoy a Chick Fil A once or twice a year, and I found this a bit better. Maybe next time I will order it plain on a biscuit, deconstruct it and have a piece of chicken with a biscuit and some honey on the side.

Sides were a bit pricey and small, as others have reported. I did not find the music or politics offensive, but I was only there to pick up my meal.

Pretty good and I will stop by when I am in the neighborhood, which is even easier with the Ohio location, and in the mood. Not too often.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #54 - November 8th, 2014, 3:36 pm
    Post #54 - November 8th, 2014, 3:36 pm Post #54 - November 8th, 2014, 3:36 pm
    I grabbed lunch at Leghorn Cafe on Friday since I work nearby. I can't bring myself to eat at Chic-fil-a.. Not only because of their reputation but because I lived in Atlanta for a couple years and ate there every now and then.. and hated it! It's just a greasy, salty chicken patty on a biscuit but I digress..

Leghorn Cafe is pretty small. There's barely any seating but it's interesting watching them knock out meals that really are not fast food. What they're trying to do is nobile but the wait was insane. It took over an 45 minutes for me to get my sandwich but the biscuit was out of this world! It may have been the best biscuit I've ever had (I regard the KFC biscuit pretty highly btw). I ordered a chicken biscuit, breast, hot, etc. I got a chicken biscuit, thigh meat, not hot. I was kind of pissed I didn't get what I ordered BUT what I got was still awesome nonetheless. The biscuit was flakey, tender and just delicious. The chicken was breaded heavily but the perfect balance of seasonings and not greasy.

I think if I didn't have to wait so long and if I didn't have such a long walk back to the office, my meal would have perfect but it is definitely miles ahead of whatever chic-fil-a can offer.
  • Post #55 - November 9th, 2014, 10:54 am
    Post #55 - November 9th, 2014, 10:54 am Post #55 - November 9th, 2014, 10:54 am
    I noticed that they recently opened a couple of Chick-fil-A's in the Milwaukee area to much fanfare and record breaking sales. Anyway, have not ever been and am interested in your reputation comments. What does that mean? Thanks.
  • Post #56 - November 9th, 2014, 7:10 pm
    Post #56 - November 9th, 2014, 7:10 pm Post #56 - November 9th, 2014, 7:10 pm
    Puckjam wrote:... am interested in your reputation comments. What does that mean? Thanks.
    maybe this: http://boycottchickfila.com/
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #57 - June 1st, 2015, 8:36 am
    Post #57 - June 1st, 2015, 8:36 am Post #57 - June 1st, 2015, 8:36 am
    On my visit yesterday, nothing was as good as it was on my first visit. The chicken was slightly dry and had little flavor (though the lack of flavor was somewhat consistent). The biscuit that had been glorious on my first visit was decent but not at all crispy on top. The hushpuppies were on the dry side. And the fries seemed like your average frozen french fries.

Food aside, I don't know why any restaurant would blare music with constant swear words, ensuring that the "family" crowd never enters the joint and instead heads elsewhere. I suppose this would not be a problem if the food is great and you're always doing a brisk business, but on my visit yesterday, the place was never more than 20% filled from the moment I entered until I left.
  • Post #58 - October 1st, 2015, 11:27 am
    Post #58 - October 1st, 2015, 11:27 am Post #58 - October 1st, 2015, 11:27 am
    Visited the newish(?) Leghorn cafe at Ohio House per trixiepea's tip, for last min grub enroute to airport.

happy to report: no cursing rap music, not really any anti-Christianity/anti-chic-fil-a rhetoric to be found anywhere.
    $8 for a huge chix sandwich on solid biscuits. They really need to ease up on the saucing.

overall, can't complain. I'd rather have this than an Eggslut any day.
  • Post #59 - October 1st, 2015, 3:13 pm
    Post #59 - October 1st, 2015, 3:13 pm Post #59 - October 1st, 2015, 3:13 pm
    TonyC wrote:happy to report: no cursing rap music, not really any anti-Christianity/anti-chic-fil-a rhetoric to be found anywhere.

I haven't been to the original Leghorn yet, but I still find this to be disappointing.
  • Post #60 - March 26th, 2018, 6:01 pm
    Post #60 - March 26th, 2018, 6:01 pm Post #60 - March 26th, 2018, 6:01 pm
    Leghorn Cafe in Ohio House Motel closes

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... /180329904
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles