• Pleasant House Pub on Halsted

Post #1 - July 7th, 2016, 11:19 am
    Post #1 - July 7th, 2016, 11:19 am Post #1 - July 7th, 2016, 11:19 am
    Pleasant House Pub, sequel to Pleasant House Bakery, opens today

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html

2119 S Halsted St
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (773) 523-7437

Mod Note: This post was split off to start a new topic.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - July 8th, 2016, 1:49 pm
    Post #2 - July 8th, 2016, 1:49 pm Post #2 - July 8th, 2016, 1:49 pm
    We may want to change the thread title to Pleasant House Pub, so as not to confuse the future and the past. Anyhow, I went last night (two local resto openings in two days, not sure what that makes me!). We were regulars at the original location, and indeed I bought a house nearby in some small part because of it. Naturally, while we were sad for the passing of the old place, the new one should just as easily fit the bill, despite being a 20 minute walk instead of a 5 minute one.

The new space is nice--I never went to the old Nightwood, and so can't comment there, but the English pub feel resonates. The bar looks lovely with a couple (as yet not-hooked-up) beer engines aside the usual taps. They had about a dozen beers on the menu, two of which were cask and not ready for service yet, alas. Still, they had a few harder-to-find English beers alongside a thoughtful English-skewed menu of Americans. I did not try to Whiner Brewery beer on there, sticking with English imports instead. Pours were reasonable (12 oz, methinks, rather than proper pints, but fair for the prices) and perfect matches to the food. There's also a list of wines and some cocktails maybe, but my eyes seldom stray from the barley pop end of things. Despite being less walkable, this will still be a regular spot for us.

Speaking of food, right now the menu is largely identical to the original--this was a "soft opening" after all. Prices are just a touch higher, no surprise and fair enough, given the table service/wait staff, undoubtedly higher rent, etc. I'd probably pay even more, honestly--the quality far exceeds the meager cost. Everything tastes exactly the same, from the pies to the chips to the chutney. Curry chips are, hopefully, a permanent fixture on the menu, along side the regular and deluxe gravy chips. We also had a sticky toffee pudding between the four of us.

Great food? Check. Solid beer? Check. Looking forward to expanded menu and cask beers? I'm there. Our dining companions were new to the food; one had spent time in Scotland, even. They said they'd be back. That's how all regulars get started. Pleasant House, so glad you're back. I've missed you, and please don't ever leave me like that again.
  • Post #3 - July 8th, 2016, 10:41 pm
    Post #3 - July 8th, 2016, 10:41 pm Post #3 - July 8th, 2016, 10:41 pm
    mtgl wrote:We may want to change the thread title to Pleasant House Pub, so as not to confuse the future and the past.

We split off your post and the one above it to create a new thread specifically about the new Pleasant House entity. Carry on. :)

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - July 13th, 2016, 4:35 pm
    Post #4 - July 13th, 2016, 4:35 pm Post #4 - July 13th, 2016, 4:35 pm
    Yesterday's lunch.

I didn't see their housemade gingerbeer.
    image.jpeg Mushroom and Kale pie with chips
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - January 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm
    Post #5 - January 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm Post #5 - January 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm
    Just had lunch here. Special pie of the week (beef barbacoa with salsa verde on the side) hit the spot as always. Gin & tonic was great, served with juniper berries.

I swear when they first opened on 31st, the pies were much larger. I recall barely being able finish one.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more