LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 12 of 22
  • Post #331 - January 19th, 2016, 5:42 pm
    Post #331 - January 19th, 2016, 5:42 pm Post #331 - January 19th, 2016, 5:42 pm
    leek wrote:
    riddlemay wrote:Ever try the one at Ashland and Webster? We've been when there were no spaces at all--just cars driving around in an endless procession praying for a space to open up. Those times, we just give up and go to the Jewel at Ashland and Wellington. (And take it as a lesson learned.)

Go up the ramp and park upstairs. I've never been there when there are 0 parking spaces upstairs. I do try to avoid pre-major event days (holidays, sports events, etc)

I appreciate the tip, leek--but I'm talking about upstairs! The street-level surface lot is a lost cause at all times, but the upper level lot has been completely full more than once in my experience. (With the Bataan Death March of cars circling slowly and endlessly.) When I've witnessed it (and been in it, before getting smart and leaving), I've been forced to remark, silently: "No store is this good."
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #332 - February 24th, 2016, 11:01 am
    Post #332 - February 24th, 2016, 11:01 am Post #332 - February 24th, 2016, 11:01 am
    Mariano's plans to open a grocery store near the northeast corner of Waukegan and Half Day Roads north of Beeson's Nursery, according to multiple sources.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #333 - February 24th, 2016, 5:13 pm
    Post #333 - February 24th, 2016, 5:13 pm Post #333 - February 24th, 2016, 5:13 pm
    Balls!
    Isn't that just about next door to Heinens, and about a quick mile south of Sunset?
    There's no chance both Heinens and Mariano's can survive there. My guess would be that Marianos will be the clear winner. Especially if they have a Todd's Bbq. Sunset might have a chance being a smaller, neighborhood, service oriented store (could they be any more attentive?) but I'm guessing they are not too happy about this.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #334 - April 13th, 2016, 4:31 am
    Post #334 - April 13th, 2016, 4:31 am Post #334 - April 13th, 2016, 4:31 am
    Mariano's is heading to Bannockburn after the Village Board of Trustees unanimously passed five measures on April 11 that clear the way for the grocery chain to set up shop.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html
  • Post #335 - April 13th, 2016, 11:58 am
    Post #335 - April 13th, 2016, 11:58 am Post #335 - April 13th, 2016, 11:58 am
    Janeyb wrote: October 24th, 2013
    I asked the staff at one of the Dominick's in Naperville (which has a Jewel across the street) what was going to happen. They think either Marianos, Whole Foods or Krogers. I would predict Marianos. They just put one in Wheaton.

The Marianos in Naperville is almost ready for business. Much needed redesign of entire strip mall parking lot was completed a while back. Now, signs are up, trees and shrubs planted. I don't know the exact date, but guessing some time in a few weeks.

Fox Run Square, at the northeast corner of Naper Boulevard and 75th Street
  • Post #336 - April 13th, 2016, 2:34 pm
    Post #336 - April 13th, 2016, 2:34 pm Post #336 - April 13th, 2016, 2:34 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Mariano's is heading to Bannockburn after the Village Board of Trustees unanimously passed five measures on April 11 that clear the way for the grocery chain to set up shop.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html

Grrr.
    Was hoping to see the words, "Todd's BBQ" in the list of amenities for Bannockburn location.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #337 - October 10th, 2016, 3:07 pm
    Post #337 - October 10th, 2016, 3:07 pm Post #337 - October 10th, 2016, 3:07 pm
    In Bronzeville, new Mariano's store reflects a change long coming

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
  • Post #338 - October 11th, 2016, 7:06 am
    Post #338 - October 11th, 2016, 7:06 am Post #338 - October 11th, 2016, 7:06 am
    Dave148 wrote:

The same issue also mentioned that Kroger's is cutting capital funding for Mariano's remodeling, while requesting more $$$ per square foot in sales.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #339 - October 30th, 2016, 1:04 am
    Post #339 - October 30th, 2016, 1:04 am Post #339 - October 30th, 2016, 1:04 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

The same issue also mentioned that Kroger's is cutting capital funding for Mariano's remodeling, while requesting more $$$ per square foot in sales.

Let the micromanaging into the ground begin...
  • Post #340 - December 13th, 2016, 7:45 am
    Post #340 - December 13th, 2016, 7:45 am Post #340 - December 13th, 2016, 7:45 am
    Drover wrote:
    JoelF wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:The same issue also mentioned that Kroger's is cutting capital funding for Mariano's remodeling, while requesting more $$$ per square foot in sales.

Let the micromanaging into the ground begin...

How long before those areas of quality that have distinguished Mariano's are gone and it becomes "just another supermarket"?

Our experiences with the offerings from their fish counter have been excellent. I hope that won't change. Was also impressed by the sheer size of the cheese room in the Broadway store.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #341 - December 13th, 2016, 6:39 pm
    Post #341 - December 13th, 2016, 6:39 pm Post #341 - December 13th, 2016, 6:39 pm
    While the Marianos in Northbrook is still my go-to grocery store, I am regularly unhappy with it and swear I am going back to Sunset.

They are regularly out of the staples that I consume ( today they had no garlic - last week they had no poblano peppers, Today they had only cheap brands of whole tomatoes, etc. ). Unlike riddlemay , I no longer buy cheese there. Their inexpensive cheese is inedible and their expensive cheese is just to expensive. Chicken parts in the meat case are good, but if what you need is not there, the Marianos brand in the refrigerator case is simply horrible.

Sigh. I thought when they opened up, that I finally could have a 1-stop grocery experience.
  • Post #342 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:20 pm
    Post #342 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:20 pm Post #342 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:20 pm
    Mariano's is the latest Chicago-area grocery retailer to announce a new online shopping option for busy consumers on the go. Later this month, Mariano's will launch ClickList at its Vernon Hills location, followed by stores in Oak Lawn and Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood this summer. Shoppers will be able to order their groceries for pickup through the ClickList app or website for a flat fee of $4.95.

• Post #343 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:42 pm
    Post #343 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:42 pm Post #343 - April 3rd, 2017, 2:42 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Mariano's plans to open a grocery store near the northeast corner of Waukegan and Half Day Roads north of Beeson's Nursery, according to multiple sources.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html

That's OK by me...
    I really dislike that Heinen's the prices are so high -
    find it hard to hold me nose and buy even a single dinner's worth of food there.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #344 - April 4th, 2017, 9:11 pm
    Post #344 - April 4th, 2017, 9:11 pm Post #344 - April 4th, 2017, 9:11 pm
    I would rather shop at Heinen's or Sunset any day over Mariano's. A much nicer shopping experience and higher quality.

Heinen's helped fill that void in the empty Bannockburn Dominick's with a significantly better alternative and the town turns around and screws them. Allowing a Mariano's to be built there is ensuring one location will be empty. For a small town without much retail, not how you should treat your existing local business. IF Heinen's was a terrible operation like Dominick's was, I can see it. Heinen's seems to be exactly the type of business Bannockburn would want.
  • Post #345 - April 5th, 2017, 8:39 am
    Post #345 - April 5th, 2017, 8:39 am Post #345 - April 5th, 2017, 8:39 am
    I like Heinens a lot too, though I have to admit I will like the convenience of the marianos being there, even though I only shop there for a few things. I am wondering if the addition of marianos might not actually help that Heinens. If that corner becomes more of a grocery destination for people from further away, it might be able to support both. Sunset in Lake Forest is doing a renovation in the next couple of months in anticipation of the marianos, but with their limited space I am not sure there is much they can do. Heinens is also ramping up their prepared foods and carry out/dine in options. Both their pizza and italian beef are decent. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

-Will
  • Post #346 - April 5th, 2017, 8:59 am
    Post #346 - April 5th, 2017, 8:59 am Post #346 - April 5th, 2017, 8:59 am
    I'm still convinced that Sunset is the big looser to Mariano's. My Sunset shopping is cut way back and I often see the HP Sunset with 3-4 cashiers and no one in line. Their stores simply aren't large enough to compete.
  • Post #347 - April 5th, 2017, 11:02 am
    Post #347 - April 5th, 2017, 11:02 am Post #347 - April 5th, 2017, 11:02 am
    I like having a couple of my favorite grocery stores near each other, because while I do go to one store when I stop by for a few things, I like to go to multiple stores when I do my weekly shopping.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #348 - April 5th, 2017, 11:13 am
    Post #348 - April 5th, 2017, 11:13 am Post #348 - April 5th, 2017, 11:13 am
    The concept of clustering grocery stores has been around for eons. Ideally both stores benefit from adjacency. I f you had to travel to one or the other, odds are you'd choose the closest and the other would lose out. Having them in close proximity allows for more effective competition and increases the likelihood that many shoppers will go to both, thereby increasing sales.
  • Post #349 - May 19th, 2017, 2:00 pm
    Post #349 - May 19th, 2017, 2:00 pm Post #349 - May 19th, 2017, 2:00 pm
    I was just informed by the cashier at my local Mariano's that customers will no longer get their sale prices without having one of their identity cards. That's a pretty classless move from an establishment for which I previously had a "better than average" brand perception.

I don't know if this is Kroger's influence, but I guess some number cruncher has figured out that value of most customers' identities is worth more than losing the business of a few like me.
  • Post #350 - May 19th, 2017, 2:11 pm
    Post #350 - May 19th, 2017, 2:11 pm Post #350 - May 19th, 2017, 2:11 pm
    kateem wrote:I don't know if this is Kroger's influence, but I guess some number cruncher has figured out that value of most customers' identities is worth more than losing the business of a few like me.

Agreed, probably someone who has never worked in their stores.
  • Post #351 - May 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm
    Post #351 - May 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm Post #351 - May 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm
    kateem wrote:I was just informed by the cashier at my local Mariano's that customers will no longer get their sale prices without having one of their identity cards. That's a pretty classless move from an establishment for which I previously had a "better than average" brand perception.

I don't know if this is Kroger's influence, but I guess some number cruncher has figured out that value of most customers' identities is worth more than losing the business of a few like me.

I experienced the same today as well, combined with the fact that my least favorite (slowest) cashier from Strack and Van Til is now working at the Marianos on Ashland, means I am in search of a new store or chain.
  • Post #352 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Post #352 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm Post #352 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    kateem wrote:I was just informed by the cashier at my local Mariano's that customers will no longer get their sale prices without having one of their identity cards. That's a pretty classless move from an establishment for which I previously had a "better than average" brand perception.

Ah, so you must be this guy....
    Last edited by Drover on May 20th, 2017, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #353 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Post #353 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm Post #353 - May 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Do all of you complaining about having to be signed up for Mariano's loyalty program or whatever they call it pay by cash when you go to the grocery? Because I assume if you pay by credit card or even check then there's really no difference in terms of your trackability as compared to swiping/scanning your rewards card or entering your phone number. I could be wrong, but that's always what I've figured.
  • Post #354 - May 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm
    Post #354 - May 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm Post #354 - May 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm
    Matt wrote:Do all of you complaining about having to be signed up for Mariano's loyalty program or whatever they call it pay by cash when you go to the grocery? Because I assume if you pay by credit card or even check then there's really no difference in terms of your trackability as compared to swiping/scanning your rewards card or entering your phone number. I could be wrong, but that's always what I've figured.

Unless your bank has really crappy terms of service with regard to sharing your specific contact information, yeah, it's different. You swipe your card, the retailer POS terminal asks your bank if the information on the card matches their records and if there's sufficient funds available to process the transaction, the bank responds yes or no, and that's that. The bank doesn't share your contact information with the retailer. The only way the retailer can link your contact information to your card is if you supply that information.
  • Post #355 - May 20th, 2017, 7:38 pm
    Post #355 - May 20th, 2017, 7:38 pm Post #355 - May 20th, 2017, 7:38 pm
    Good to know, thanks. I always just assumed that info was tracked.
  • Post #356 - May 25th, 2017, 1:42 pm
    Post #356 - May 25th, 2017, 1:42 pm Post #356 - May 25th, 2017, 1:42 pm
    Drover wrote:
    Matt wrote:Do all of you complaining about having to be signed up for Mariano's loyalty program or whatever they call it pay by cash when you go to the grocery? Because I assume if you pay by credit card or even check then there's really no difference in terms of your trackability as compared to swiping/scanning your rewards card or entering your phone number. I could be wrong, but that's always what I've figured.

Unless your bank has really crappy terms of service with regard to sharing your specific contact information, yeah, it's different. You swipe your card, the retailer POS terminal asks your bank if the information on the card matches their records and if there's sufficient funds available to process the transaction, the bank responds yes or no, and that's that. The bank doesn't share your contact information with the retailer. The only way the retailer can link your contact information to your card is if you supply that information.

I thought that much of that information was on the mag stripe - which was part of the reason for going to chip cards instead.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #357 - May 26th, 2017, 1:25 am
    Post #357 - May 26th, 2017, 1:25 am Post #357 - May 26th, 2017, 1:25 am
    leek wrote:I thought that much of that information was on the mag stripe - which was part of the reason for going to chip cards instead.

Your name and account number are on the mag stripe, along with other stuff like your PIN number if there is one, expiration date, what kind of card it is (debit vs credit), etc. Your home address is not on the card, though it can be used as a secondary means of verifying the account holder's authenticity as can the three-digit CVC/CVV on the back of the card (4-digit on the front for AmEx cards). Those items are not stored on the mag stripe but the merchant can ask the bank to verify them as a secondary form of authentication to ensure the card isn't fraudulent or stolen. This is why nearly all online transactions require one or the other or both to complete a transaction, as a secondary means to verify the person making the purchase have something more than just a card number they saw somewhere.

As for why the switch from mag stripe to chip cards, that's because chip transactions are much more secure esp. when used in conjunction with a PIN, and chip cards are much more difficult to fraudulently replicate. Right now U.S.-issued cards have both but eventually the mag stripe will go away.
  • Post #358 - May 26th, 2017, 7:46 am
    Post #358 - May 26th, 2017, 7:46 am Post #358 - May 26th, 2017, 7:46 am
    Drover wrote:As for why the switch from mag stripe to chip cards, that's because chip transactions are much more secure esp. when used in conjunction with a PIN, and chip cards are much more difficult to fraudulently replicate. Right now U.S.-issued cards have both but eventually the mag stripe will go away.

Mag strips will be around for quite a while. Europe still accepts them; automated machines in the US such as gas stations and Ventra ticket kiosks aren't yet required. On top of that, not all classes of cards have chips: My last two HSA cards don't, for instance.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #359 - May 31st, 2017, 9:22 am
    Post #359 - May 31st, 2017, 9:22 am Post #359 - May 31st, 2017, 9:22 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Drover wrote:As for why the switch from mag stripe to chip cards, that's because chip transactions are much more secure esp. when used in conjunction with a PIN, and chip cards are much more difficult to fraudulently replicate. Right now U.S.-issued cards have both but eventually the mag stripe will go away.

Mag strips will be around for quite a while. Europe still accepts them; automated machines in the US such as gas stations and Ventra ticket kiosks aren't yet required. On top of that, not all classes of cards have chips: My last two HSA cards don't, for instance.

"Europe," which has had chip cards for at least 15 years now, doesn't still accept them; individual merchants still choose to accept them as a courtesy to U.S. travelers since we are the last holdouts in the developed world to still issue them. There is certainly no requirement in Europe to still accept them, and a growing number of European merchants no longer do. And good luck using your mag stripe card in an unattended payment kiosk/terminal in Europe. Even your chip-equipped card may present a problem at such kiosks/terminals since we still stupidly use signature verification instead of PIN verification, which defeats half the security benefits of converting to chip technology.
  • Post #360 - May 31st, 2017, 10:31 am
    Post #360 - May 31st, 2017, 10:31 am Post #360 - May 31st, 2017, 10:31 am
    Just as an FYI, one can sign up for Mariano's Rewards program from their new website pretty easily. You don't receive a physical card, but you can set your alternative ID to be something easy to remember, like your phone number.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more