LTH Home

CaPo's Hot Dogs on Grand

CaPo's Hot Dogs on Grand
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • CaPo's Hot Dogs on Grand

Post #1 - August 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    Post #1 - August 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm Post #1 - August 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    I don't think there's a thread or mention yet of CaPo's, a (newish?) Chicago eats place over by dere on Grand near Baris Damatos and Terrys.

This Rat Pack-themed joint has dogs, beef, breaded steak, bunch tamales, and hand-cut fries, and Dr. Pepper at the fountain. I cop that ketchup is readily available. I also tink that everything tasted totally legit. The owner is part Calabrese and his ma makes fried dough (my family says pittuli, his says pizza fritte) which is on the menu. It's like a bit of da Taste of Melrose in the shadow of the city.

I ain't got the skinny on what supplier or casing or #/lb the franks are but yous could ask.

1147 W Grand Ave, Chicago
    http://caposongrand.com/
  • Post #2 - August 11th, 2017, 7:58 pm
    Post #2 - August 11th, 2017, 7:58 pm Post #2 - August 11th, 2017, 7:58 pm
    Nice to see a new hot dog stand. Cruising around the nort side its like a giant hot dog stand grave yard.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #3 - August 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm
    Post #3 - August 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm Post #3 - August 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm
    Santander wrote:I ain't got the skinny on what supplier or casing or #/lb the franks are but yous could ask.
    http://caposongrand.com/

If I was youse I wouldn't be makin' fun a da great people a Chicaga when youz can't even spell a simple word like yuz.
  • Post #4 - August 14th, 2017, 5:27 pm
    Post #4 - August 14th, 2017, 5:27 pm Post #4 - August 14th, 2017, 5:27 pm
    i'm excited to see a new hot dog stand, as well, in a neighborhood i frequent regularly when i stock up on d'amato's pizza. i just looked at their online menu and see they offer something called 'johnnie's italian beef'.... i wonder if there's a connection to the one and only johnnie's in elmwood park. i'll be sure to ask when i make my first visit....does anyone have any info on this?
  • Post #5 - August 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm
    Post #5 - August 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm Post #5 - August 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm
    justjoan wrote:i'm excited to see a new hot dog stand, as well, in a neighborhood i frequent regularly when i stock up on d'amato's pizza. i just looked at their online menu and see they offer something called 'johnnie's italian beef'.... i wonder if there's a connection to the one and only johnnie's in elmwood park. i'll be sure to ask when i make my first visit....does anyone have any info on this?

Don't know if it's been edited since your visit but it now displays as "Johnny's Italian Beef Sandwich".
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #6 - August 15th, 2017, 8:19 pm
    Post #6 - August 15th, 2017, 8:19 pm Post #6 - August 15th, 2017, 8:19 pm
    Kman wrote:
    justjoan wrote:i'm excited to see a new hot dog stand, as well, in a neighborhood i frequent regularly when i stock up on d'amato's pizza. i just looked at their online menu and see they offer something called 'johnnie's italian beef'.... i wonder if there's a connection to the one and only johnnie's in elmwood park. i'll be sure to ask when i make my first visit....does anyone have any info on this?

Don't know if it's been edited since your visit but it now displays as "Johnny's Italian Beef Sandwich".

it could be that it was spelled 'johnny's', but i saw it as 'johnnie's', but don't you think they're trying to steal some of the magic from the elmwood park original??
  • Post #7 - August 15th, 2017, 8:22 pm
    Post #7 - August 15th, 2017, 8:22 pm Post #7 - August 15th, 2017, 8:22 pm
    justjoan wrote:
    Kman wrote:

it could be that it was spelled 'johnny's', but i saw it as 'johnnie's', but don't you think they're trying to steal some of the magic from the elmwood park original??

Possibly . . . or one of the owners/cooks/relatives is named Johnny and it's "Johnny's" recipe.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #8 - October 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm
    Post #8 - October 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm Post #8 - October 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm
    Yous[e] heard it here first:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/fo ... story.html
  • Post #9 - October 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm
    Post #9 - October 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm Post #9 - October 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm
    I quite enjoyed my maiden beef at Capo's. I was surprised to find it nearly empty at noon the other day after Kindelsperger's glowing review. Its a pretty cavernous space which I just realized was the former 2nd location of Gaudi Cafe. Its a cute and tidy operation though, walls adorned with Rat Pack, mafioso, and pin up schtick. A true mom and pop, she takes orders, he mans the grill. They were super nice and happy to see me. She was particularly keen to sell me on their product, going so far as offering me a sample of their (delicious) fries.

IMG_7193.JPG

Speaking of the fries, they were the stand out element of this lunch. Perfect even, consistently double fried to a ruddy siena. Crunchy, salty, addictive.

The beef, if not top tier, was quite good. Beefy with a slight chew. I prefer a more mulched, end-of-the-day, debris-esque beef, but this had a fresh and definitely home made quality. The jus was clean and lightly seasoned. Giardiniera was generic and sparse, the weak link of the sandwich. The bread was probably the highlight, crusty with a bit of chew, I took it to go and would have followed up with an ask about its origins, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was sourced right there on Grand.

With Bari's beef on the decline these days, this is definitely the best option within walking distance of my joint. I've never been a breaded steak sammy guy, but their more nuanced version looks tempting as does the pork tenderloin. Great folks doing things the right ways, I heartily vouch for this spot after one visit. They have space to pack the place, so get over by dere!
  • Post #10 - October 7th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    Post #10 - October 7th, 2017, 2:15 pm Post #10 - October 7th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    That beef looks legit, I'm gonna give them a shot.
  • Post #11 - January 6th, 2018, 12:32 pm
    Post #11 - January 6th, 2018, 12:32 pm Post #11 - January 6th, 2018, 12:32 pm
    Capo’s is closed. Sign says moving to a new location.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more