LTH Home

Fake sugar question

Fake sugar question
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fake sugar question

Post #1 - September 5th, 2017, 8:19 am
    Post #1 - September 5th, 2017, 8:19 am Post #1 - September 5th, 2017, 8:19 am
    I've just been burned by another product that contains Stevia. I really dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners so when I spied a Mexico produced Limeade with sugar as the first two ingredients I jumped on it.

Turns out they added Stevia to a bag of sugar. My question is

WHY?!?!?

All I can see this doing is irritating everyone. The pro fake sugar folks will not like it due to the real sugar and the pro real sugar folks will be irritated by the needless addition.

What am I missing? it must be a profit thing is my only conclusion. No taste test would let this go forward.
  • Post #2 - September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am
    Post #2 - September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am Post #2 - September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am
    I have no idea why they added stevia to sugar, but stevia is the only artificial sweetener that is considered safe to eat by CSPI which is Michael Jacobson's group. If they wanted to save money, they would have used high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - September 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm
    Post #3 - September 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm Post #3 - September 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm
    Safe to eat != tastes good. I can immediately detect Stevia in any beverage.
  • Post #4 - September 5th, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Post #4 - September 5th, 2017, 1:59 pm Post #4 - September 5th, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Stevia comes from the leaves of a plant. From the Johnny Seeds catalog listing:
    Incredibly sweet leaves are an herbal alternative to sugar.

Use fresh, dried, powdered, or as a liquid to sweeten a variety of foods and beverages. Bushy, high-yielding plants. Perennial in Zones 9-11. Avg. 75,550 seeds/oz. Packet: 25 seeds.

DAYS TO GERMINATION: 7-21 days at 68-75°F (20-24°C).

SOWING: Transplant (recommended): Seed should be used within 6 months of purchase. Store seed in a cool, dry location for best germination. Sow seeds shallowly 6-8 weeks before the last frost. Do not over-water. Transplant to cell flats when seedlings are large enough to handle. For bushier plants, pinch back growing tips every few weeks for the first 1-2 months. After the last frost, transplant outside 12" apart. Stevia will not tolerate temperatures below 45°F (7°C). Stevia is an ideal plant to grow in containers as a houseplant or on the patio. For container growing, choose a pot that is at least 14" across and provide soil that is well drained. Keep evenly moist.

LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun/Part Shade. In extreme southern areas and when growing in containers, afternoon shade may need to be provided.

SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Does best in average, well-drained but moist soil. Avoid nitrogen-rich fertilizers, as they cause the plant to produce large leaves with little flavor.

PLANT HEIGHT: 18-30".

PLANT SPACING: 12".

HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 9-11.

HARVEST: Pick in the morning and before flowering occurs for the highest sugar content. Leaves may be harvested throughout the season once the plant has become established. To dry, hang small bunches of stems in a well-ventilated, dry location out of direct sunlight. Dried leaves may be ground into powder for storage.

Think whatever you want about the flavor, but stevia is definitely not fake or artificial. Indeed, it probably has less processing than cane sugar. I do not like stevia's taste, but I also dislike the aftertaste of corn syrup in any form.
  • Post #5 - September 6th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #5 - September 6th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #5 - September 6th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Hi,

A sample station at Jewel had a sugar/stevia Coke. It did not taste right. The sample person claimed I was influenced by the knowledge of Stevia's presence. I could have done it blindfolded and knew with the first sip.

When I drink Coke with sugar, I can drink it pretty fast. A can of Diet Coke can last the afternoon.

Back in the 80's, Dr. Pepper had a diet version that tasted like diesel fuel. You really had to trick your mind into finding it acceptable. The taste was so awful, I never got past a sip.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 1:29 pm
    Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 1:29 pm Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 1:29 pm
    I'm new to the stevia game, so I've been sampling many brands out here because, I, too, find it has a bitter/funky aftertaste (I despise brussels sprouts for the same reason)

Then I picked up a coffee at a local pastry shop & they had packs of Truvia with their sweeteners. I grabbed a few & tried them in my oatmeal & yogurt (I only buy plain yogurt - milk & bacteria, period) and found it unobjectionable. I noticed, though, that it was crystallized rather than powdery like so many other versions.

It comes from a leaf, right? How do they crystalize it? Has anyone ever baked with the crystal-type? Does the flavor change in baked goods? I think I've only seen beverages made with stevia.
  • Post #7 - September 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Post #7 - September 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm Post #7 - September 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Hi- I went to a healthy fall desserts program at the Cancer Wellness Center in Northbrook last week. The dietitian teaching the class used ground up dates in some of her desserts. I asked her about Stevia, and I mentioned that stevia is the only artificial sweetener recommended by CSPI. She said that yes Stevia was safer than NutraSweet, but she still did not recommend it. She recommended using the ground up dates, and not making things as sweet. She also recommended using riper fruit, and using apples that were naturally more sweet. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #8 - September 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm
    Post #8 - September 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm Post #8 - September 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm
    Food is All wrote:It comes from a leaf, right? How do they crystalize it?

• Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    NFriday wrote:I asked her about Stevia, and I mentioned that stevia is the only artificial sweetener recommended by CSPI. She said that yes Stevia was safer than NutraSweet, but she still did not recommend it.
    Stevia is not artificial. I'll be bringing a plant to the picnic this weekend, if you want to try a leaf. It is really quite sweet on its own.
  • Post #10 - September 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    Post #10 - September 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm Post #10 - September 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    BrendanR wrote:I'll be bringing a plant to the picnic this weekend, if you want to try a leaf. It is really quite sweet on its own.

"Her friends never did figure out what it was that made Nancy give up her old life to follow Phish around the country."
  • Post #11 - September 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm
    Post #11 - September 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm Post #11 - September 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    BrendanR wrote:I'll be bringing a plant to the picnic this weekend, if you want to try a leaf. It is really quite sweet on its own.

"Her friends never did figure out what it was that made Nancy give up her old life to follow Phish around the country."

Best line of the month. :!:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - September 19th, 2017, 2:26 pm
    Post #12 - September 19th, 2017, 2:26 pm Post #12 - September 19th, 2017, 2:26 pm
    Sorry I should have referred to Stevia as a no calorie sweetener, and not an artificial one. I think the reason she did not like Stevia was because it still got people hooked on sweet things.
  • Post #13 - September 19th, 2017, 4:33 pm
    Post #13 - September 19th, 2017, 4:33 pm Post #13 - September 19th, 2017, 4:33 pm
    NFriday wrote:Sorry I should have referred to Stevia as a no calorie sweetener, and not an artificial one. I think the reason she did not like Stevia was because it still got people hooked on sweet things.

People are naturally hooked on sweet things.
  • Post #14 - September 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm
    Post #14 - September 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm Post #14 - September 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm
    sorry guys, stevia tastes nasty to me in any concentration. I can immediately tell if its in a drink. Sucrose et al is the way to go for me.
  • Post #15 - September 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm
    Post #15 - September 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm Post #15 - September 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm
    Hi,

FYI - BrendaR is bringing a Stevia plant to the picnic. I will be interested to try it in its natural form.

Regards,
    Cathy
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more