LTH Home

Does anybody take advantage of any of the free stuff?

Does anybody take advantage of any of the free stuff?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 21st, 2017, 7:17 pm
    Post #31 - October 21st, 2017, 7:17 pm Post #31 - October 21st, 2017, 7:17 pm
    Artie wrote:Jewel has a free Nestea 6 Pack,Peach, Raspberry, or Lemon Tea & 40 Ct Splenda Naturals w Stevia. If you live in Cook County you will pay $1.11 sweetened beverage tax for the Nestea.

Clip today on MyMixx,use by Monday

I am skipping the Stevia, because it will sit on shelf unused forever. Definitely getting the Nestea. :D
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:28 pm
    Post #32 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:28 pm Post #32 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:28 pm
    Besides Jewel and Mariano's, Valli produce, Tony's, Shopnsave, and K Mart also have at least one free item every week. Valli requires you to make an additional $10 purchase to get the free item, which is a container of Essential Everyday apple juice. Valli, Tony's, K Mart and Shopnsave, require you to load an app to your phone in order to get the free item. For Jewel and Mariano's you just go to their website, and sign up for their coupon program, and then attach desired coupons to your account. For Jewel when you get to checkout you then enter in your phone number to have the coupons applied to your purchase. At Mariano's you have to sign up for a card, and apply the coupons you desire to your card, and then present the card when you check out. You also need the card to access any of the sale prices at Mariano's.

Jewel and Mariano's free deals are the only ones I take advantage of, and then only sporadically. I am passing on the freebies at Jewel. Mariano's is giving away a free can of tomatoes that I might take advantage of since I am going right past the store tomorrow. They are also giving away a free package of Idahoan soup, but I will have to check and see how much fat and sodium it has before I pick it up. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #33 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:29 pm
    Post #33 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:29 pm Post #33 - October 22nd, 2017, 1:29 pm
    NFriday wrote:Besides Jewel and Mariano's, Valli produce, Tony's, Shopnsave, and K Mart also have at least one free item every week. Valli requires you to make an additional $10 purchase to get the free item, which is a container of Essential Everyday apple juice this week. Valli, Tony's, K Mart and Shopnsave, require you to load an app to your phone in order to get the free item. For Jewel and Mariano's you just go to their website, and sign up for their coupon program, and then attach desired coupons to your account. For Jewel when you get to checkout you then enter in your phone number to have the coupons applied to your purchase. At Mariano's you have to sign up for a card, and apply the coupons you desire to your card, and then present the card when you check out. You also need the card to access any of the sale prices at Mariano's.

Jewel and Mariano's free deals are the only ones I take advantage of, and then only sporadically. I am passing on the freebies at Jewel. Mariano's is giving away a free can of tomatoes that I might take advantage of since I am going right past the store tomorrow. They are also giving away a free package of Idahoan soup, but I will have to check and see how much fat and sodium it has before I pick it up. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #34 - October 22nd, 2017, 2:40 pm
    Post #34 - October 22nd, 2017, 2:40 pm Post #34 - October 22nd, 2017, 2:40 pm
    ^^^
    I get the free item every week. If it is something that I do not like (like the Amy's Macaroni and Cheese), I give it to one of my needy neighbors or send it off to the food bank.
  • Post #35 - October 22nd, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Post #35 - October 22nd, 2017, 3:20 pm Post #35 - October 22nd, 2017, 3:20 pm
    I only pick up the free stuff if I am going to be in the neighborhood anyway. Some times if it is something perishable, it is not an option to donate it to the food pantry. There are two food pantries in Evanston, and one is located at the South border of Evanston, and the other is located at the North border of Evanston and so neither one is convenient for me to drop it off. One of the freebies that Jewel is handing out this weekend is Nestea anyway, which has sugar in it, and I would get charged $1.12 for the sugar tax,and I would never use it myself. Occasionally Jewel has a food drive, and then it is convenient for me to donate food, but I don't like to donate junk food, and a lot of the freebies are junk such as candy.

Last month Jewel was giving away a carton of Phil's egg whites. I finally opened up my package and made myself some scrambled eggs with cheese and fresh spinach. It was rubbery. I did not use any butter though when I made it and used nonstick spray on the pan instead. I probably should have added some milk too. Maybe that is why it did not turn out that great. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #36 - October 23rd, 2017, 10:12 pm
    Post #36 - October 23rd, 2017, 10:12 pm Post #36 - October 23rd, 2017, 10:12 pm
    Hi,

I don't know if people have the same experience as me:

When I go to Jewel, just about every employee can help identify the Mymixx freebie, if I forgot.

At Mariano's, employees are either not as well versed or it is intentional: many have a foggy memory of what I may be looking for on the Friday freebie. When something was out-of-stock on the last redemption day, I asked for a rain check. I was declined, because there were two weeks for anyone to collect theirs.

I don't go out of my way to redeem anything from Mariano's, because it seems like a wild goose chase.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #37 - October 24th, 2017, 5:18 am
    Post #37 - October 24th, 2017, 5:18 am Post #37 - October 24th, 2017, 5:18 am
    At the Mariano’s at Skokie Blvd and Dundee Rd, the non-perishable freebies are usually on the end cap opposite of the checkout lanes.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #38 - October 24th, 2017, 6:09 am
    Post #38 - October 24th, 2017, 6:09 am Post #38 - October 24th, 2017, 6:09 am
    Dave148 wrote:At the Mariano’s at Skokie Blvd and Dundee Rd, the non-perishable freebies are usually on the end cap opposite of the checkout lanes.

At the New City one they also put the non-perishable freebies on a particular endcap, towards the wall near the vitamins. Possibly the bread aisle, next time I go I'll have to pay attention to the aisle number.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #39 - October 27th, 2017, 3:35 pm
    Post #39 - October 27th, 2017, 3:35 pm Post #39 - October 27th, 2017, 3:35 pm
    Hi- I realize that this is kind of late, but Jewel has another free offer posted on their Facebook page for today. They are giving away a container of Kodiac Cakes flapjacks, which is located in the pancake isle. In order to get it for free, you have to say the words "Kodiac Cakes" when you check out. Apparently it is something you mix with water, and heat it up in the microwave. I think I will pass on this. It is not worth my while to make a special trip to Jewel to get. Remember it is free for today (Friday) only.

Concerning Mariano's free items. I just picked up a can of their tomatoes for free on Monday. I passed on the soup. It had too much salt in it. At the Skokie store both of the free items were in the front of the store. One time I wanted to get the free pasta sauce, and I could not find it. They told me that they were out of it, and they substituted another pasta sauce for me instead. I am not interested in either one of the free items at Mariano's today. One I believe there is a sugar tax on if you live in Cook county, and the other one is bottled water, which I would not use. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #40 - October 28th, 2017, 5:28 am
    Post #40 - October 28th, 2017, 5:28 am Post #40 - October 28th, 2017, 5:28 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I realize that this is kind of late, but Jewel has another free offer posted on their Facebook page for today. They are giving away a container of Kodiac Cakes flapjacks, which is located in the pancake isle. In order to get it for free, you have to say the words "Kodiac Cakes" when you check out. Apparently it is something you mix with water, and heat it up in the microwave. I think I will pass on this. It is not worth my while to make a special trip to Jewel to get. Remember it is free for today (Friday) only.

I've only tried the Jewel word of the day free stuff twice, both times the cashier didn't know what I was talking about. The first time there wasn't anyone in line behind me so I didn't have a problem waiting for the manager to come over and explain it, yesterday there were people waiting behind me in line so I just asked the cashier to put the Kodiak Cakes to the side and forget about it. If your going to do a promotion that involves the cashiers it's probably a good idea to let the cashiers know about it.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #41 - October 28th, 2017, 6:30 am
    Post #41 - October 28th, 2017, 6:30 am Post #41 - October 28th, 2017, 6:30 am
    Coogles wrote:I've only tried the Jewel word of the day free stuff twice, both times the cashier didn't know what I was talking about. The first time there wasn't anyone in line behind me so I didn't have a problem waiting for the manager to come over and explain it, yesterday there were people waiting behind me in line so I just asked the cashier to put the Kodiak Cakes to the side and forget about it. If your going to do a promotion that involves the cashiers it's probably a good idea to let the cashiers know about it.

That's been an ongoing problem in some stores.

Today's Saturday freebies are:
    Senor Ricos Single Serve Pudding 8-oz.
    Colombe Draft Latte 9-oz.
  • Post #42 - October 29th, 2017, 7:54 am
    Post #42 - October 29th, 2017, 7:54 am Post #42 - October 29th, 2017, 7:54 am
    Artie wrote:Today's Saturday freebies are:
    Senor Ricos Single Serve Pudding 8-oz.
    Colombe Draft Latte 9-oz.

You forgot the peanut butter chocolate Cheerios!

I made a slick exchange with another MyMixx friend: He got my coffee and got the Cheerios and rice pudding.

I may put the Cheerios into the Halloween candy grab bag. Can you imagine that kid's parent's faces when they show up with that? Too bad I will never know.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #43 - October 29th, 2017, 8:33 am
    Post #43 - October 29th, 2017, 8:33 am Post #43 - October 29th, 2017, 8:33 am
    I just saw the cheerios and clipped.
    I asked Jr if that cereal looked good to him. "Um, no..not at all."
    If we step foot into a Jewel, we'll get them. Maybe we'll try them, maybe we won't. Possible donation material.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #44 - November 10th, 2017, 9:40 am
    Post #44 - November 10th, 2017, 9:40 am Post #44 - November 10th, 2017, 9:40 am
    Jewel-Osco Word of the Day

Foodstirs @foodstirs will be free today Friday by saying "Get Baking" at the register. $4.99 value

Trifecta of freebies tomorrow. Stay tuned! :D
  • Post #45 - November 10th, 2017, 7:07 pm
    Post #45 - November 10th, 2017, 7:07 pm Post #45 - November 10th, 2017, 7:07 pm
    Plenty of August and October Oikos at my Jewel if anyone wants it! 88 cents - quite the bargain. Yes, August!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #46 - November 11th, 2017, 6:21 am
    Post #46 - November 11th, 2017, 6:21 am Post #46 - November 11th, 2017, 6:21 am
    Jewel MyMixx freebies: Clip coupons by Sunday 11/12, redeem by Monday 11/13.

Arla® Cream Cheese 7 oz. Limit 1

Odwalla Spiced Pumpkin or Apple Caramel Cider 15.2oz. Limit 1

Java Monster 15oz. All flavors. Save up to $2.99. Limit 1
  • Post #47 - November 16th, 2017, 3:54 pm
    Post #47 - November 16th, 2017, 3:54 pm Post #47 - November 16th, 2017, 3:54 pm
    I've been getting the free stuff from Mariano's pretty regularly. If it's non-perishable and not something we eat, I give it to the food pantry. I'm trying the Kefir Cup right now, which was a recent Friday free download. Holy cow, is this tangy! I went with the "with granola" option as that mirrors my typical snack of plain Greek yogurt with whatever granola I have on hand. Given this one experience, I don't see myself buying the kefir cup again.
    -Mary
  • Post #48 - November 17th, 2017, 11:48 pm
    Post #48 - November 17th, 2017, 11:48 pm Post #48 - November 17th, 2017, 11:48 pm
    The good part of the Kroger plan is that they send you additional coupons each quarter based on your prior purchases. This quarter, my free items include a case of bottled water and a bag of frozen vegetables.

Also, for those who travel, the deals are good at any Kroger's affiliate.
  • Post #49 - November 22nd, 2017, 12:53 am
    Post #49 - November 22nd, 2017, 12:53 am Post #49 - November 22nd, 2017, 12:53 am
    Hi,

Jewel's freebie last week was Uncle Ben's seasoned rice, which was also a Mariano give-away a while ago.

I saw recently an America's Test Kitchen episode evaluating rice. They indicated following the package instructions often led to less than ideal rice. They felt the instructions were designed to avoid burnt rice. Over-hydrated rice is too plump bordering on mushy.

You may want to consider cutting back on the water. I prepared the full package, which called for 3.5 cups of water. If I had to do it again, I might go for 3 cups instead. That is a seat-of-the pant estimate, which might improve your experience.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #50 - November 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am
    Post #50 - November 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am Post #50 - November 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am
    Jewel MyMixx Saturday freebies: Clip coupons on Saturday 11/25, redeem by Sunday 11/26.

Odwalla Mango Protein or Chai Vanilla Protein 15.2 oz
    Forto Coffee Energy shot 2 oz Mocha or Vanilla

These are both pictured in the ad that starts Friday
  • Post #51 - November 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm
    Post #51 - November 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm Post #51 - November 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm
    Free Turkey Hill Ice Cream on Friday Nov 24 @ Jewel-Osco
    Say the word "Naturally Simple" at checkout and get a free half gallon.
  • Post #52 - November 26th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Post #52 - November 26th, 2017, 1:17 pm Post #52 - November 26th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Hi- Mariano's has a deal everyday through 12/24. You have to link the deal to your card on that day, but then you have 2 weeks to redeem it. Tomorrow you can get a free box of Yasso frozen yogurt bars. All the rest of the deals they have this week are cents off coupons, like $.75 off a bottle of Ragu, which does not get me excited. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #53 - November 26th, 2017, 10:57 pm
    Post #53 - November 26th, 2017, 10:57 pm Post #53 - November 26th, 2017, 10:57 pm
    Hi,

Is the secret word get a product free at Jewel, is the reliably on Fridays or is it random?

Thanks for the tips at the various stores when a freebie is about to emerge.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #54 - November 27th, 2017, 2:28 am
    Post #54 - November 27th, 2017, 2:28 am Post #54 - November 27th, 2017, 2:28 am
    Hi- It is probably on Fridays 75% of the time. I usually find out about the secret word freebie by visiting mashupmoms Facebook page.

The last week over there has all been about Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. I ordered both the Cooks Illustrated and Cook's Country subscription that I found out about on her site. I also just used my code for $5 off $20 worth of books on Amazon, and got the Nutritious Delicious book by ATK, and also ordered a cartridge for my printer to get the free shipping, but I got a genuine Epson cartridge sold by another seller, and so I could not count it towards my free shipping. The ink was only $7 though with free shipping included. I then ended up buying an Oxo muffin tin that ATK recommended to get me over $25 for free shipping.

I also just ordered something from Bed Bath and Beyond, and used a $10 off $30 code that was in the Parade section of the Sunday paper a few weeks ago. I found out about that on mashupmom too. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #55 - November 27th, 2017, 9:12 am
    Post #55 - November 27th, 2017, 9:12 am Post #55 - November 27th, 2017, 9:12 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Is the secret word get a product free at Jewel, is the reliably on Fridays or is it random?

Thanks for the tips at the various stores when a freebie is about to emerge.

It appears to be on most Fridays in my limited experience. I began following Jewel on Facebook as a result of people posting here.
    -Mary
  • Post #56 - December 21st, 2017, 8:09 pm
    Post #56 - December 21st, 2017, 8:09 pm Post #56 - December 21st, 2017, 8:09 pm
    Jewel Freebie tomorrow by saying the words "Mr.Potato Head" at checkout

• Post #57 - December 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm
    Post #57 - December 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm Post #57 - December 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm
    Oh boy, I think I will save those for my 7-year-old nephew. That is just precious.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - December 27th, 2017, 7:25 pm
    Post #58 - December 27th, 2017, 7:25 pm Post #58 - December 27th, 2017, 7:25 pm
    Attention Jewel Osco shoppers! Do you love Crazy Cuizine and want to get a box for FREE? Visit your local Jewel Osco store tomorrow, grab your favorite Crazy Cuizine entrée and say “chicken dinner” at the register to receive that box for FREE! Promotion ONLY available on Dec. 28th at Jewel Osco stores in Chicago. Valid 1 redemption per customer.

See what you're hunting for @ http://www.crazycuizine.com/products/
  • Post #59 - December 28th, 2017, 7:03 am
    Post #59 - December 28th, 2017, 7:03 am Post #59 - December 28th, 2017, 7:03 am
    Artie wrote:Attention Jewel Osco shoppers! Do you love Crazy Cuizine and want to get a box for FREE? Visit your local Jewel Osco store tomorrow, grab your favorite Crazy Cuizine entrée and say “chicken dinner” at the register to receive that box for FREE! Promotion ONLY available on Dec. 28th at Jewel Osco stores in Chicago. Valid 1 redemption per customer.

See what you're hunting for @ http://www.crazycuizine.com/products/

Heads Up! General Tso's,Teriyaki,and Mandarin Orange chicken are the only varieties eligible for this offer
  • Post #60 - December 29th, 2017, 11:35 am
    Post #60 - December 29th, 2017, 11:35 am Post #60 - December 29th, 2017, 11:35 am
    Try Enlightened Ice Cream for FREE on Friday, December 29th when you say the words "Team Enlightened" at the registers! (Valid on 12/29 only, 1 per customer).

https://www.eatenlightened.com/collecti ... ream-pints

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more