LTH Home

Cherimoya

Cherimoya
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cherimoya

Post #1 - January 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm
    Post #1 - January 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm Post #1 - January 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm
    Anyone know of a good source for these in Chicago? I've been looking around, but the only place I have found is the Vietnamese grocery on Broadway close to Argyle, and it was over $8.00/lb. My wife brought home one the other day and we realized it was over $13 for one fruit. We loved these in Ecuador (just vacationed there) and would really like to experiment cooking with it.
  • Post #2 - January 9th, 2018, 8:55 am
    Post #2 - January 9th, 2018, 8:55 am Post #2 - January 9th, 2018, 8:55 am
    I googled a picture of the fruit
    Image and have to admit that I don't remember seeing at Fresh Farms [but then, I wasn't looking]. I'll look for it next time I'm in the east Niles Fresh Farms and post if I see one.

In the mean time, may I suggest trying in Albany Park, maybe Andy's Fruit Ranch on Kedzie?

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #3 - January 9th, 2018, 11:31 am
    Post #3 - January 9th, 2018, 11:31 am Post #3 - January 9th, 2018, 11:31 am
    Check with Mexican places, too. Cherimoya is in the custard apple family, and you may find it some places by that name. A close relative in the same family is guanabana, with a similar taste and texture (plus the names are often used interchangeably in Ecuador -- though I ran into guanabana a lot more often). Also known as soursop or sirsop. Though popular in tropical Asia, the whole family is indigenous to the tropical Americas, so look for places that cater to Latin Americans.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - January 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm
    Post #4 - January 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm Post #4 - January 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm
    Cherimoya has gotten easier to find in the Chicago area in recent years, and not just at Asian and Latino markets. I'm fairly sure the last time I saw it was within the last month at the Mariano's on Milwaukee Avenue in Vernon Hills. Not saying I'd expect it to be easy to find at, say, Jewel, but I think it's well worth looking at some places like Garden Fresh Market, Fresh Farms, and yes, even the exotic fruit section in Mariano's.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more