LTH Home

[Lincoln's O and] Northwest Indiana Food

[Lincoln's O and] Northwest Indiana Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - March 11th, 2011, 6:12 pm
    Post #61 - March 11th, 2011, 6:12 pm Post #61 - March 11th, 2011, 6:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:will request FB to support the cause.

Jen,

I think this place needs a soft touch. A Facebook call to action might not be useful.

I think a steady flow of polite requests from people they know will help. There are people on this board who are practically neighbors to Lincoln's O. Who knows what influenced them to change bread, though it is probably related to cost.

Regards,

That's funny, I was thinking FB=french bread!
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm
    Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm
    HI,

What's really funny, I think you are right.

Yes, to the soft touch!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 6:44 pm
    Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 6:44 pm Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 6:44 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

Jen,

I think this place needs a soft touch. A Facebook call to action might not be useful.

I think in this case, FB means French Bread.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #64 - March 11th, 2011, 6:56 pm
    Post #64 - March 11th, 2011, 6:56 pm Post #64 - March 11th, 2011, 6:56 pm
    I wish FB meant French Bread more often...
  • Post #65 - March 11th, 2011, 10:38 pm
    Post #65 - March 11th, 2011, 10:38 pm Post #65 - March 11th, 2011, 10:38 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

Jen,

I think a steady flow of polite requests from people they know will help. There are people on this board who are practically neighbors to Lincoln's O. Who knows what influenced them to change bread, though it is probably related to cost.

Regards,

FB = French Bread. I would be shocked to find that Facebook was on Lincoln's radar :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #66 - March 12th, 2011, 12:08 am
    Post #66 - March 12th, 2011, 12:08 am Post #66 - March 12th, 2011, 12:08 am
    Are there any long-time Lincoln's fans out there that remember how the steak sub used to be? George used put chunks of grilled ribeye steak on french bread with grilled onions and steak sauce and some shredded lettuce on top. It was a fantastic creation that seems to have gone by the wayside. Their steak sub now is nothing like that; more a Philly steak sandwich or something? They also used to have a great pepperoni sub with melted cheese and some toppings that was a killer. It also is extinct. If you liked these beasts, lobby for their return when you shop there. I would love to be able to get ahold of them again.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #67 - April 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
    Post #67 - April 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm Post #67 - April 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
    stevez wrote:Sadly, I have to close this post with some bad news. Catherine, or Mom as she is known by nearly everyone, passed away last Saturday Night/Early Sunday Morning.

There was an article about her in yesterday's NWI Times.

Lincoln's matriarch always had smile
  • Post #68 - May 9th, 2011, 11:49 am
    Post #68 - May 9th, 2011, 11:49 am Post #68 - May 9th, 2011, 11:49 am
    Popped by Lincoln's for a sandwich to go (Cal City Special, of course) after a long morning of errands. I am thrilled to report that the food is better than ever, and the GNR plaque is prominently displayed. Now this is food for the soul.
  • Post #69 - May 9th, 2011, 11:58 am
    Post #69 - May 9th, 2011, 11:58 am Post #69 - May 9th, 2011, 11:58 am
    I've been several times since the GNR award, the most recent visit was last weekend with one of my BF's sons who lives 5 blocks away and has never been (!!) He pronounced the grilled cheese excellent, the apple pie fantastic and the interior "interesting". I had my usual--the Cal Sag special (turkey, egg, bacon, lettuce, add mustard/no mayo)--delicious! And, yes, the GNR is in a place of honor between the cash register and the coffee urns :P
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #70 - May 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    Post #70 - May 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm Post #70 - May 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    Your mention of the coffee urns reminded me - I popped in a few weeks ago with my mom (I locked myself out of the apartment and walked there while waiting for her to bring me a set of keys).

I forget what I ordered & ate, but my mom had a cup of coffee which she declared to be "the worst she's ever had". Oh well, they can't do everything perfectly.
  • Post #71 - March 26th, 2013, 8:53 am
    Post #71 - March 26th, 2013, 8:53 am Post #71 - March 26th, 2013, 8:53 am
    After realizing that Marilyn's Bakery in Hobart was not serving lunch, Mr. Pie and I headed here for vittles and pie. We were both amused by how odd the place looked, but we really dug it. I had the Bunny girl, a toasty ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato on a torpedo roll, followed by blueberry pie. I asked to make sure the berries were fresh (they were frozen, which is also fine with me) and not from a can. Unfortunately, I realized that I could take or leave blueberry pie on the whole, but despite that, it was a nice, homey, like-mom's sort of pie.

Next time I go gamblin', I know how to make a day of it: Lunch at Lincoln's O and some fish to go at Calumet Fisheries.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #72 - January 8th, 2018, 5:22 pm
    Post #72 - January 8th, 2018, 5:22 pm Post #72 - January 8th, 2018, 5:22 pm
    Lincoln's O in downtown Highland closes after a half century
    One of the Region's oldest and most beloved sandwich shops, Lincoln's O in downtown Highland, has served its final U.S. Steel Special after 55 years.

Lincoln's O posted signs on its storefront at 2813 Highway Ave. saying "closed up, thank you for 55 years in NWI 1963-2018" and "we will redeem gift cards send to 2813 Highway Ave., Highland, IN 46322."

The O stood for original. There are also Lincoln Carry Outs sandwich shops in Crown Point and Hobart with similar menus that are under different ownership and remain open.
  • Post #73 - January 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm
    Post #73 - January 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm Post #73 - January 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm
    I've heard rumors about an employee trying to buy it, and there are other rumors about a longtime customer buying it. Hopefully one of these will come true.

Helen is a wonderful person, and I wish to thank her for all the wonderful meals I had there. :)

Here's a Facebook post about it...
    I heard some sad news
  • Post #74 - January 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    Post #74 - January 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm Post #74 - January 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    DKriv wrote:I've heard rumors about an employee trying to buy it, and there are other rumors about a longtime customer buying it. Hopefully one of these will come true.

I hope the rumors are true. It's definitely a viable business.
  • Post #75 - January 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm
    Post #75 - January 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm Post #75 - January 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm
    I am glad it was in our regular rotation as we visited about a month or so ago. There was also a period when I worked in the area and would visit around twice a month.

The soups were also very good.

US Steel was my most common choice but several of the others (can I get a hurray for The Bunny Girl :) ?) made their way into my choices.

With many area pies going for $20 or more it was refreshing to get one of their mighty fine pies for under $10.

They will be sorely missed but time does pass.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #76 - January 9th, 2018, 8:00 pm
    Post #76 - January 9th, 2018, 8:00 pm Post #76 - January 9th, 2018, 8:00 pm
    Artie wrote:It's definitely a viable business.

The place was always packed at lunch time.

Panther in the Den wrote:With many area pies going for $20 or more it was refreshing to get one of their mighty fine pies for under $10.

I loved their coconut cream pie. The pumpkin pie was different than most. I liked it.
  • Post #77 - January 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    Post #77 - January 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm Post #77 - January 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    There is a FOR SALE sign on the building.
  • Post #78 - March 22nd, 2018, 7:35 am
    Post #78 - March 22nd, 2018, 7:35 am Post #78 - March 22nd, 2018, 7:35 am
    Article I came across explains why Helen Stasinos decided to close Lincoln's. To summarize she said she was "Tired of being tired" and wanted to be able to do things with the rest of her life. The restaurant is for sale for $350,000 including all the fixtures and the parking lot in back.

Read the whole thing @ https://issuu.com/myshopper/docs/int022818 Go to page 19 and it's in the "Neighbor 2 Neighbor" column.
  • Post #79 - August 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm
    Post #79 - August 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm Post #79 - August 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm
    From what I've been told, the FOR SALE sign is off the front of the building, and there is a SOLD sign on the back.

No idea who or what.
  • Post #80 - August 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    Post #80 - August 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm Post #80 - August 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    DKriv wrote:From what I've been told, the FOR SALE sign is off the front of the building, and there is a SOLD sign on the back.

No idea who or what.

Doesn’t really matter anymore.
  • Post #81 - August 20th, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Post #81 - August 20th, 2018, 3:35 pm Post #81 - August 20th, 2018, 3:35 pm
    DKriv wrote:From what I've been told, the FOR SALE sign is off the front of the building, and there is a SOLD sign on the back.

No idea who or what.

Please let us know the outcome, because who knows maybe someone might revive it. I realize that idea is fleeting, though I am glad I went when it was its idiosyncratic self.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #82 - August 21st, 2018, 7:26 am
    Post #82 - August 21st, 2018, 7:26 am Post #82 - August 21st, 2018, 7:26 am
    Lincoln O's building will become a Japanese Steak and Sushi restaurant. :cry: This has been confirmed by the town of Highland's redevelopment director. Scheduled to open around the 1st of 2019
  • Post #83 - August 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Post #83 - August 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm Post #83 - August 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Hi,

Are any of the Lincoln's O imitators still out there doing their thing?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #84 - August 23rd, 2018, 7:27 pm
    Post #84 - August 23rd, 2018, 7:27 pm Post #84 - August 23rd, 2018, 7:27 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Are any of the Lincoln's O imitators still out there doing their thing?

Regards,
    Cathy2

Never saw any when I was working out there.

Saw an imitator that had closed.

Correction: I googled and there are a 2 places called...

Lincoln Carryouts, 1203 N Main St, Crown Point

Lincoln Carry Outs, 1002 Lincoln St, Hobart

That are labeled as sandwich shops.

Both are about 15 miles from the old place
  • Post #85 - August 23rd, 2018, 8:14 pm
    Post #85 - August 23rd, 2018, 8:14 pm Post #85 - August 23rd, 2018, 8:14 pm
    I think we need to do a road trip to check out these two quite similar Lincoln's to Lincoln O's.

Lincoln Carry Outs menu

Sandwiches:

Steelworker
    grilled roast beef on rye w/mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions,& american cheese

Club
    roast beef, turkey, ham,& cheese topped w/mayo, lettuce, tomato, bacon; served hot or cold on french bread

Bunny Girl
    grilled ham & swiss w/mayo, lettuce, & tomatoes on french bread

Pastrami & Corned Beef
    served w/swiss cheese, pickles & mustard

Reuben
    corned beef and sauerkraut w/ swiss cheese, mustard, & pickle; served on rye or french bread

Lincolnburger
    2 hamburger patties on french bread w/all our burger trimmings

Lincoln Cheeseburger
    2 hamburger patties on french bread w/same trimmings as our hamburger but w/your choice of cheese; american, swiss,pepper jack, shredded mozzarella, or provolone

Lincoln Lover
    half of our us steel and half of our lincoln cheeseburger w/all the trimmings of each

Patti Melt
    1/4 lb. burger on toasted rye w/cheese & grilled onions

Steak Sandwich
    6 oz. sliced rib eye w/steak gravy, lettuce, tomato,& onion; served on toasted french bread add cheese for $0.50

Harrison Street Steak
    3 oz. sliced rib eye w/steak gravy, swiss cheese, grilled onions, peppers, & mushrooms; served on an onion roll

Pie Slices
    Cheesecake, Chocolate Cream,
    Coconut Cream, Pecan, Apple,
    Lemon Meringue, Sweet Potato
    & Chocolate Mint

Lincoln Carry Out, Hobart, IN

Submarine sandwiches:
    Regular Italian: (Lincoln's Famous sub for 50 years with assorted Salami, Ham & spicy cheese)
    Assorted Cheese Sub
    Ham Sub
    Roast Beef Sub
    Roast Turkey Sub
    Corned Beef Sub

Steelworker Special: Post Tribune's "Best Sandwich in Northwest Indiana"
    Grilled roast beef, American Cheese, mayo, lettuce, and onion on grilled Beefsteak Rye

Lincoln Burger:
    Double jumbo burger on French bread and all the trimmings.

Lincoln Cheeseburger

Lincoln Pepperburger

"Buzz" Burger:
    1/4lb. ground beef, cheese, grilled ham, crispy onion rings, mayo & lettuce.
    Gyros Cheeseburger

Pastrami and Corned Beef:
    Pastrami and corned beef mixed together, grilled on rye with Swiss cheese, mustard and pickles - One of Lake county's largest of its kind

Steak Sandwich:
    5oz. Rib eye sliced thin, then grilled to perfection with special juices served on French bread with lettuce, tomato, and onion ) also available with melted cheese).

Bunny Girl:
    Ham and melted Swiss cheese served on French bread with Mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato

Sausage Sandwiches - Italian or Polish

Italian Combo:
    Sausage, beef, red sauce, mozzarella cheese & peppers

Fish Sandwich:
    1/4 lb. fish fillet on a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion and American cheese

Fish Submarine:
    On French bread with all the extras

Sandwiches and Bacon:
    Steak 'n' Bacon
    Turkey 'n' Bacon
    Grilled Cheese 'n' Bacon
    Lettuce, Tomato 'n' Bacon
    (Available with American, Swiss, or Pepper cheese at an additional cost)

Burgers 'n' Bacon

Lincolnburger 'n' Bacon

Pork Tender Fritter:
    Served on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, and your choice of mayonnaise, ketchup, or mustard

Harrison Street Steak Sandwich:
    Sliced rib eye served on a toasted onion roll with grilled onions, mushrooms, and green peppers
    Cathy2

• Post #86 - September 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm
    Post #86 - September 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm Post #86 - September 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm
    Artie wrote:Lincoln O's building will become a Japanese Steak and Sushi restaurant. :cry: This has been confirmed by the town of Highland's redevelopment director. Scheduled to open around the 1st of 2019

I hadn't heard about this. I read today that Maria's Buena Cocina will be moving to a storefront somewhere on Highway Ave. later this year.

At first I thought they were moving into Lincoln's, but I guess not.
  • Post #87 - September 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm
    Post #87 - September 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm Post #87 - September 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm
    DKriv wrote: I read today that Maria's Buena Cocina will be moving to a storefront somewhere on Highway Ave. later this year.

At first I thought they were moving into Lincoln's, but I guess not.

They were close to going out of business...
    Deal paves way for restaurant to relocate in downtown Highland
    Maria Curiel described Emily and Dr. David Foreit as “angels” Monday as she hugged the couple after the Highland Redevelopment Commission took action that will help a local restaurant open in a new spot downtown.

Curiel said the couple stepped forward to secure the once-uncertain future of Maria’s Buena Cocina through a partnership that will allow the restaurant to move to 2936 Highway Ave. It will be located in the former site of Anthony’s Café, a building the Foreits recently purchased as an investment opportunity.

The restaurant’s lease at it current site at 8620 Kennedy Ave., is set to expire Aug. 31. The town is purchasing the building and has plans to raze it to make way for new development.

“We had decided to go out of business at the end of the month,” Curiel said.

Efforts to find a new affordable Highland location for the restaurant operated by Curiel and her husband, Ignacio, have been ongoing for a year.

The Curiels had struck a tentative deal to relocate to the vacant 800-square-foot retail space adjacent to the Highland Convenience Store at 3404 Ridge Road and needed the extra funds to transform the space into a restaurant. They requested a $25,000 forgivable loan from the commission on July 16 to help build out that location, but it was not gaining traction.

Since then Maria Curiel said the couple looked at the former Anthony’s Café site on their own but decided it wasn’t an option because it was too large, too expensive and needed too much work. The restaurant had been gutted, including the toilets and piping. The Curiels began contemplating closing for good.

“Then my two angels came along,” Curiel said.
  • Post #88 - September 8th, 2018, 8:52 pm
    Post #88 - September 8th, 2018, 8:52 pm Post #88 - September 8th, 2018, 8:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I think we need to do a road trip to check out these two quite similar Lincoln's to Lincoln O's
    My Bride and I would take you up on this excursion.

I worked in the area for several years and became quite familiar with many of their sandwiches (Steelworker, Bunny Girl, Lincoln Burger especially).

I hope their soups and pie measure up too.
  • Post #89 - September 11th, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Post #89 - September 11th, 2018, 7:25 pm Post #89 - September 11th, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Artie wrote:They were close to going out of business...
    Deal paves way for restaurant to relocate in downtown Highland

That's a nice story. Maria and Nacho are wonderful people with excellent food. It would've been nothing short of a tragedy to see this delightful little restaurant shutting down for a reason like this.

Here's their Yelp page with pictures
    Maria's Buena Cocina

Anthony's Cafe closed several years ago, and the building has been empty ever since. It's always great to see a vacant building get new life. 8)
  • Post #90 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:43 pm
    Post #90 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:43 pm Post #90 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:43 pm
    Nothing has moved into the old Lincoln's building, and there is a FOR SALE sign on it again. :?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more