LTH Home

Locations of the Damned.

Locations of the Damned.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 24th, 2010, 12:11 am
    Post #31 - February 24th, 2010, 12:11 am Post #31 - February 24th, 2010, 12:11 am
    whiskeybent wrote:I just re-read through this thread and enjoyed this:

The Sunset/Mod/Del Toro space is also cursed. I wonder how long it will be before the novelty of the Violet Hour wears out its welcome.

I have a hunch that says they'll do okay.

crow eaten :D

tho I also said:

The Parlor space is 0-2 or 0-3.

Whatever is going into the Scylla space is gonna have the beat the curse as well.

The Parlor turned into the Ledge which closed so now it's 0-5. Scylla became Takashi which is also in dire straits.
  • Post #32 - February 24th, 2010, 11:00 am
    Post #32 - February 24th, 2010, 11:00 am Post #32 - February 24th, 2010, 11:00 am
    whiskeybent wrote:I just re-read through this thread and enjoyed this:

The Sunset/Mod/Del Toro space is also cursed. I wonder how long it will be before the novelty of the Violet Hour wears out its welcome.

I have a hunch that says they'll do okay.

While, for my money, TVH still puts together the best cocktails in the city, they have been losing their talent pretty steadily over the past 6 months or so. They were posting here and elsewhere looking for bartenders recently. Hopefully the new wave is as talented as those that have left, but some of the bloom certainly appears to be off the rose.

Sad to hear Takashi is having trouble. Hard to believe when you have Rick Bayless tweeting about your place and you still can't draw a crowd. I loved Glory, still miss the chowder. But, the mushroom bisque I had at Takashi blew it away.
  • Post #33 - February 24th, 2010, 11:57 am
    Post #33 - February 24th, 2010, 11:57 am Post #33 - February 24th, 2010, 11:57 am
    kl1191 wrote:Sad to hear Takashi is having trouble. Hard to believe when you have Rick Bayless tweeting about your place and you still can't draw a crowd. I loved Glory, still miss the chowder. But, the mushroom bisque I had at Takashi blew it away.

I had planned on going to Takashi for my birthday in a few months, but we are going to stop in a couple of other times in the near future for Sunday lunch and a weeknight meal. I would hate for it to be gone, the meals I have had there have all been outstanding, and it's reasonable walking distance for me unless the weather is absolutely vile.
  • Post #34 - February 25th, 2010, 12:16 am
    Post #34 - February 25th, 2010, 12:16 am Post #34 - February 25th, 2010, 12:16 am
    vegmojo wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:
    Whatever is going into the Scylla space is gonna have the beat the curse as well.

That house is cursed. First that weird sports bar (which had the dubious honor of being the first self-proclaimed sports bar in Bucktown if I remember correctly), then Glory, which was OK. And now Scylla which was my favorite restaurant in Bucktown. Good luck to Takashi Yagihashi, he'll need it.

MJ

I remember a Middle Eastern place there for awhile too - Gilgamesh I think? I'm surprised Takashi's isn't doing well, I haven't been there for a few months, but it's always seemed fairly busy every time I've been there. It's definitely a great place.

The SE corner of Leavitt and Armitage seems cursed too. There was the desert place for awhile (pretty forgettable place) and then Doc's Smoothies. I don't think either made it for a full year.

Anyone know how Tiny Lounge is doing? I always felt that location might be cursed after Charlie's closed.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #35 - February 25th, 2010, 9:01 am
    Post #35 - February 25th, 2010, 9:01 am Post #35 - February 25th, 2010, 9:01 am
    I'll add the Bermuda Triangle of Skokie to the list - the intersection of Skokie/Lincoln/Howard. The most recent resident - Coffee Beanery lasted less than six months.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #36 - February 25th, 2010, 9:48 am
    Post #36 - February 25th, 2010, 9:48 am Post #36 - February 25th, 2010, 9:48 am
    Attrill wrote:Anyone know how Tiny Lounge is doing? I always felt that location might be cursed after Charlie's closed.

I was there on a weeknight a couple of months ago and it seemed to be doing a brisk business. Good drinks and good bar food.
  • Post #37 - February 25th, 2010, 1:00 pm
    Post #37 - February 25th, 2010, 1:00 pm Post #37 - February 25th, 2010, 1:00 pm
    I was at Tiny Lounge last night, from about 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., and the place was pretty full the whole time, even during the mini-snowstorm. Great food, lovely drinks. Hope it overcomes the curse.
  • Post #38 - February 25th, 2010, 3:33 pm
    Post #38 - February 25th, 2010, 3:33 pm Post #38 - February 25th, 2010, 3:33 pm
    There is a restaurant space on Lincoln near Diversey that always seems to be changing and may be cursed. It was Calliope Cafe, then Parmigiana's, then a place called Mogadishu (I am spelling wrong I am sure, but it seemed like it drew a cabbie contingent), and now there is something new going in there again. I can't remember what it was before it was Calliope Cafe.
  • Post #39 - April 23rd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    Post #39 - April 23rd, 2014, 3:30 pm Post #39 - April 23rd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    Have fun with a new feature of Google Maps -- street view now lets you look at all the shots of a place over time, back to 2007. So far, I haven't found any great locations for showing changes over time (this thread had most of its activity too long ago), but it's bound to have some fun spots.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #40 - April 23rd, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Post #40 - April 23rd, 2014, 4:00 pm Post #40 - April 23rd, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Brown wrote:There is a restaurant space on Lincoln near Diversey that always seems to be changing and may be cursed. It was Calliope Cafe, then Parmigiana's, then a place called Mogadishu (I am spelling wrong I am sure, but it seemed like it drew a cabbie contingent), and now there is something new going in there again. I can't remember what it was before it was Calliope Cafe.

With any luck the location will spell success for its new occupant, Gyros on the Spit. (Which has fans here.)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #41 - January 17th, 2018, 12:32 am
    Post #41 - January 17th, 2018, 12:32 am Post #41 - January 17th, 2018, 12:32 am
    Fourth Pizzeria in Five Years Opens in Same Streeterville Space
    Management thinks South Side crusts will succeed

For the fourth time in nearly five years, a new pizzeria is open in the same Streeterville space at 355 E. Ohio Street. The newest entry — Streeterville Pizzeria & Tap — will feature South Side-style thin-crust pizza in the tradition of Vito and Nick’s. The new operating team comes with experience at other restaurants including Compass Bar in Lincoln Park and The Tankard in Wicker Park. The last tenant, Urban Crosta, lasted three months before closing in November.

Ryan See is part of the management team. He’s also partnered with Boka Restaurant Group on their Lincoln Park venues — The Kennison, Elaine’s Coffee Call, and The J. Parker. See is confident that success can be had at this 55-seat space built for a pizzeria. The ventilation hood covers the pizza oven, so unless radical changes were made inside, the space is always going to be a pizzeria.

“We just feel this was a great opportunity,” See said.

For those scoring at home: Flour & Stone debuted in 2013. They were followed in 2016 by Robert’s Pizza Company. Urban Crosta opened in August. All four pizzerias serve different styles of pie. See, along with partners Patrick and Philicia Wrona, enlisted the talents of Anthony Scardino, a consultant who has worked with Paulie Gee’s and Deadbolt in Logan Square. Professor Pizza teamed up with Geo Tapia, the chef at Tankard and Compass Bar, to develop the pizza recipe. They’ll also serve paninis and craft beer from the bar’s six taps.
  • Post #42 - January 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm
    Post #42 - January 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm Post #42 - January 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm
    176 N Wells might fit the bill.
    It's been at least three different restaurants in the past five-ish years:
    AsiaGO Express
    Piggyback BBQ
    Cubano Latin Street Food

It's currently up for rent again.
  • Post #43 - January 18th, 2018, 5:15 am
    Post #43 - January 18th, 2018, 5:15 am Post #43 - January 18th, 2018, 5:15 am
    The northwest corner of Kedzie and Lawrence has been host to a number of places over the last few years. It was Al Amira for a while, then Baghdad Kabab, then ZuZu Wraps, then K&L Corner Restaurant, and now it's Brazilian Bowl. Some of these places came and went so quickly I wouldn't be surprised if Google Maps didn't get a chance to capture them all.
  • Post #44 - January 5th, 2019, 10:27 pm
    Post #44 - January 5th, 2019, 10:27 pm Post #44 - January 5th, 2019, 10:27 pm
    A question sort of related to this thread's topic...my husband and I were trying to remember what restaurant occupied the space at Golf Rd. & Algonquin Rd., where the Cooper's Hawk is currently (and seems very successful there, and rightfully so, based on our NYE dinner there a few days ago). I know it was Pappadeaux before that, but what was it before Pappadeaux? Was the same building a different restaurant? Was it a completely different building with a different restaurant or other business?

Apologies if there's a better thread for this question. We kept conflating it with the former site of Yanni's/The Rusty Pelican at Arlington Heights Rd. & Algonquin Rd. (and if anyone knows anything about what's going on there...no changes since they knocked down the building, what, two years ago?)
  • Post #45 - January 6th, 2019, 9:16 am
    Post #45 - January 6th, 2019, 9:16 am Post #45 - January 6th, 2019, 9:16 am
    abe_froeman wrote:A question sort of related to this thread's topic...my husband and I were trying to remember what restaurant occupied the space at Golf Rd. & Algonquin Rd., where the Cooper's Hawk is currently (and seems very successful there, and rightfully so, based on our NYE dinner there a few days ago). I know it was Pappadeaux before that, but what was it before Pappadeaux? Was the same building a different restaurant? Was it a completely different building with a different restaurant or other business?

Apologies if there's a better thread for this question. We kept conflating it with the former site of Yanni's/The Rusty Pelican at Arlington Heights Rd. & Algonquin Rd. (and if anyone knows anything about what's going on there...no changes since they knocked down the building, what, two years ago?)

IIRC, they built that building to be Pappadeaux. I can't recall what was on the site prior to that.
  • Post #46 - January 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
    Post #46 - January 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm Post #46 - January 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
    I may be mis remembering, but I think Walter Payton either was the original occupant, or almost was? Or was he after Papadeaux?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #47 - January 6th, 2019, 7:22 pm
    Post #47 - January 6th, 2019, 7:22 pm Post #47 - January 6th, 2019, 7:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:I may be mis remembering, but I think Walter Payton either was the original occupant, or almost was? Or was he after Papadeaux?

Big Kahuna?
  • Post #48 - January 6th, 2019, 8:55 pm
    Post #48 - January 6th, 2019, 8:55 pm Post #48 - January 6th, 2019, 8:55 pm
    There’s a location in Naperville on Route 59 just north of Ogden that was the home to a couple of different Japanese seafood buffets that closed. Eventually, the location was turned into a walk in clinic which probably cost a pretty penny to do. The location is so cursed that the walk in clinic closed within six months!
  • Post #49 - January 8th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Post #49 - January 8th, 2019, 8:19 am Post #49 - January 8th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:I may be mis remembering, but I think Walter Payton either was the original occupant, or almost was? Or was he after Papadeaux?

Big Kahuna?

Well that suggestion led me down the rabbit hole...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
  • Post #50 - January 8th, 2019, 8:23 am
    Post #50 - January 8th, 2019, 8:23 am Post #50 - January 8th, 2019, 8:23 am
    abe_froeman wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

Big Kahuna?

Do I get a prize or something? 8)
  • Post #51 - January 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Post #51 - January 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm Post #51 - January 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    You get the Shoulder Tendonitis Award.
  • Post #52 - January 8th, 2019, 4:01 pm
    Post #52 - January 8th, 2019, 4:01 pm Post #52 - January 8th, 2019, 4:01 pm
    abe_froeman wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

Big Kahuna?

Aargh. Curious, but the Trib won't let me read from London.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #53 - January 9th, 2019, 7:45 am
    Post #53 - January 9th, 2019, 7:45 am Post #53 - January 9th, 2019, 7:45 am
    Mod Note: We had to edit this post because we cannot allow entire pieces of copyrighted material to be copied pasted into our forums. Sorry, for the inconvenience.

JoelF wrote:Aargh. Curious, but the Trib won't let me read from London.

EATERY VOWS TO BE BIG, BUT NO KAHUNA
    Christine Winter
    CHICAGO TRIBUNE

February 20, 1997

Here are some tips on how to work the local populace into a frenzy of anticipation before you open a new business in town--in this case, a restaurant.

First, buy a site that was once the scene of a similar business that generated a great deal of controversy--and just let it sit awhile.

Second, do something that will provoke somebody or another to picket during construction.

Third, redo the existing building entirely, jazz up the exterior so that it looks like it's ready to open any day, then let it sit awhile again.

Fourth, change the name before you even open.

This is the history of Pappadeux, briefly identified as Pappas, a Cajun seafood restaurant in south Arlington Heights that has been under construction for almost two years now.

Eatery Vows To Be Big, But No Kahuna

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more