LTH Home

Longacre Pizza on Wilson

Longacre Pizza on Wilson
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Longacre Pizza on Wilson

Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    I don't see any posts about Longacre (https://www.longacrechicago.com/), so here are my thoughts after about 10-15 visits: I think this pizza is sublime. It is Detroit-centered in concept, but I have never had pizza in Detroit, where my brother lives, that is anything like (or holds a candle to) this pizza. We had some initial second-thoughts about Longacre, and almost threw in the towel, but only because for some period of time its menu was changing too often for our tastes, its waitstaff seemed too inattentive/inexperienced, and its hours were too (maddeningly) subject to change (without anything being posted anywhere). But then all of those little annoyances faded and we became more regular patrons. I am most fond of the meat-centric pizza variations (the Wolverine, for example, with bacon, pepperoni, and "mixed sausage"), though that's true of my pizza-eating habits, generally. Regardless, I think the meat-free versions are awesome, especially the Woodward, Saint Andrew and Motor City Derby. I recommend that you ask them to leave it in the over 2 or 3 minutes extra for the perfect crust. I have also had a few terrific weekend brunches at Longacre, on their lovely patio. Just so you have a sense of my own pizza preferences, just in case it helps you gauge my opinions here, my other favorites are Spacca Napoli, Piece, and Due's (not Uno's). At Spacca, I think my favorite is the Pistacchio; at Piece, sausage and goat cheese with the red sauce; and at Due's, sausage and pepperoni unless I am sharing with my vegetarian partner, in which case we usually opt for the Spinoccoli. Neither Lou Malnati's nor Pequod's would make my top-ten. Pizza is far and away my favorite food, and I am always on the hunt for top-ten contenders ....

1303 W. Wilson Ave
    Chicago, IL 60640
    (773) 293-7413
  • Post #2 - January 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm
    Post #2 - January 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm Post #2 - January 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm
    I've had the mainstays of Detroit pizza (Buddy's, Loui's, Shield's, Cloverleaf, Niki's) and I look forward to checking out Longacre to see how it compares.
  • Post #3 - January 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm
    Post #3 - January 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm Post #3 - January 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm
    RonnieO wrote:We had some initial second-thoughts about Longacre, and almost threw in the towel, but only because for some period of time its menu was changing too often for our tastes, its waitstaff seemed too inattentive/inexperienced, and its hours were too (maddeningly) subject to change (without anything being posted anywhere).

We did give up after showing up a few times and they were closed without warnings or explanations.
  • Post #4 - January 9th, 2019, 1:41 pm
    Post #4 - January 9th, 2019, 1:41 pm Post #4 - January 9th, 2019, 1:41 pm
    Their website hours are not that helpful either:
    WEEKDAY HOURS
    5PM TILL THE DOUGH RUNS OUT​

SATURDAY HOURS
    9AM TILL THE DOUGH RUNS OUT

SUNDAY HOURS
    9AM TILL ABOUT 2PM
  • Post #5 - January 10th, 2019, 9:23 am
    Post #5 - January 10th, 2019, 9:23 am Post #5 - January 10th, 2019, 9:23 am
    The hours are annoying but the pizza is fantastic. My wife and I grew up eating Detroit-style pizza and Longacre is our favorite rendition in Chicago; it even compares well with the mainstays in Detroit mentioned upthread.
  • Post #6 - January 10th, 2019, 11:33 am
    Post #6 - January 10th, 2019, 11:33 am Post #6 - January 10th, 2019, 11:33 am
    egghead wrote:The hours are annoying but the pizza is fantastic. My wife and I grew up eating Detroit-style pizza and Longacre is our favorite rendition in Chicago; it even compares well with the mainstays in Detroit mentioned upthread.
    Have you tried Union Squared?
  • Post #7 - January 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm
    Post #7 - January 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm Post #7 - January 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm
    Just so you have a sense of my own pizza preferences, just in case it helps you gauge my opinions here, my other favorites are Spacca Napoli, Piece, and Due's (not Uno's). At Spacca, I think my favorite is the Pistacchio

RonnieO, thanks for the recommendation on Longacre. We tried the pizza this week and liked it very much. Spacca Napoli's pistachio pizza is one of my all time favorites. I'm generally not a pan pizza person--I much prefer Napolitano style, Chicago bar-style thin crust. But I very much enjoyed the focaccia-like Detroit style pizza at Longacre, especially the crispy "burnt" edges. We tried the Woodward (port-braised mushrooms, chèvre and thyme) and the Red Devil (pepperoni, Chile roasted garlic and chèvre). The pepperoni was fantastic. We also enjoyed the selection of wines by the glass.
    We loved the vibe of the place--our server was very accommodating and knowledgeable and one of the owners stopped by to chat about pizza (he clearly takes pride in what he does, which I admire). The pizza was really filling--I feel like the two of us could have split an individual pizza and an appetizer or two (we took a lot home)
    This style won't replace thin crust pizza in my heart but definitely some of the better thick crust pizza I've had. I've not tried other Detroit-style pies (besides Jet's which isn't anywhere near the same league as Longacre) so I can't compare/comment on authenticity.

IMG_1043.jpg Broccolini side

IMG_1044.jpg Woodward

IMG_1045.jpg The Red Devil
  • Post #8 - January 12th, 2019, 12:39 am
    Post #8 - January 12th, 2019, 12:39 am Post #8 - January 12th, 2019, 12:39 am
    lodasi wrote: Their website hours are not that helpful either:
    WEEKDAY HOURS
    5PM TILL THE DOUGH RUNS OUT​

SATURDAY HOURS
    9AM TILL THE DOUGH RUNS OUT

SUNDAY HOURS
    9AM TILL ABOUT 2PM
    I haven't been here yet. But, as much as I encourage all of you to go to Japan and eat there; a bunch of ramen restaurants will close early (or not even open at all) if it sells out by then, or the noodles are not up to its standard. You might encounter a similar episode there. :arrow:
    I think this presents a degree of dedication to consistently providing a quality dining experience.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #9 - September 17th, 2019, 7:47 am
    Post #9 - September 17th, 2019, 7:47 am Post #9 - September 17th, 2019, 7:47 am
    Popular vegan-friendly Detroit-style pizzeria Longacre, which opened in the space less than a year ago, is closing tomorrow to become two new plant-based restaurants — a Jewish bagel deli that should open on December 5 and a second yet-to-be-announced spot for a 2020 opening

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/9/13/208 ... down-intel
    A Jewish bagel deli in Uptown. Color me skeptical.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #10 - September 18th, 2019, 12:47 pm
    Post #10 - September 18th, 2019, 12:47 pm Post #10 - September 18th, 2019, 12:47 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Popular vegan-friendly Detroit-style pizzeria Longacre, which opened in the space less than a year ago, is closing tomorrow to become two new plant-based restaurants — a Jewish bagel deli that should open on December 5 and a second yet-to-be-announced spot for a 2020 opening

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/9/13/208 ... down-intel
    A Jewish bagel deli in Uptown. Color me skeptical.

If it means that I don't have to schlep all the way to New York Bagel & Bialy on a Sunday morning anymore, I'm all for it. We get our lox from Costco mostly, anyway, and it's not too hard to make chive cream cheese (can you tell I'm not a vegan? :lol:).
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more