LTH Home

Dining at Super H Mart, Niles

Dining at Super H Mart, Niles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 1st, 2007, 9:37 pm
    Post #31 - December 1st, 2007, 9:37 pm Post #31 - December 1st, 2007, 9:37 pm
    Actually, as Kathy pointed out, if the photo didn't raise expectations, this would be a most satisfactory lunch. It was well-cooked, hot, and delicious. Don't feel bad for us-- if we didn't like it, we wouldn't keep ordering it every time! Just be forewarned!
  • Post #32 - January 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    Post #32 - January 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm Post #32 - January 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    I am happy to announce that the Pizza Smut is gone from Super H-Mart, Niles! In its place is a Korean fried chicken stand that was looking ready to open any day now, if it isn't already (I was there Wednesday.)

-ramon
  • Post #33 - December 19th, 2010, 9:36 am
    Post #33 - December 19th, 2010, 9:36 am Post #33 - December 19th, 2010, 9:36 am
    Last weekend I found myself with a Zipcar and nothing to do on a snowy Sunday morning, so I went to H-Mart for some grocery shopping and breakfast. I tried sundae-guk (blood sausage soup) for the first time, which was fantastic. The woman taking my order questioned whether I was ok with blood sausage, and I assured her I was (even though I had no idea the soup had blood sausage when I first ordered it). As glass noodles are the filling of the sausage, it had a really nice, chewy texture (unlike most grain-stuffed blood sausages).

A bag of piping hot hodo kwaja (those little walnut/bean paste cakes) on the way out to a snow-covered car, and I was a happy camper.

-Dan
  • Post #34 - May 9th, 2013, 12:38 pm
    Post #34 - May 9th, 2013, 12:38 pm Post #34 - May 9th, 2013, 12:38 pm
    I enjoyed a bowl of the beef bulgogi soup at Du Re Bak in the food court for lunch today. The beef was tender, and the sweetness of the beef marinade played off nicely against the spiciness of the soup. Glass noodles added some good texture. Would have liked a few more vegetables, but that's a quibble. $15 was bit steep for lunch, especially with skimpy banchan, but the tasty beef made it an okay deal. A mango smoothie from Bini Bakery at the end of the food court was a nice accompaniment.
    Overall, I think the food court is not really worth going out of your way for.
  • Post #35 - January 17th, 2019, 7:03 am
    Post #35 - January 17th, 2019, 7:03 am Post #35 - January 17th, 2019, 7:03 am
    Though I'm a long time fan of Joong Boo on Kimball's snack shop I am flat out scared to face the parking lot. That said I really like Joong Boo in Glenview but still have not visited their second floor snack shop. Makes no sense, right? :) I also go to H Mart Niles, lately a little more often than usual, but am so-so on the food court, typically just a quick ddeokbokki if that or, more likely, some panchan and a kimbap to go. Your point Gary, you mumble . . .

There is a newish H Mart Niles stand offering Chinese/Korean and, while not earth shattering, my first visit suggests a full tier up from the other stands on offer. Its name is nowhere to be found though I gather from @chicagofoodstories terrific Instagram feed, who I met randomly at Lost Larson a few months ago, that its KyoDong Noodle.

Focus is on Jajangmyeon and Jiamppong with combos and variations on said with one fried rice, dumpling and Tangsuyuk (Korean/Chinese sweet & Sour Pork). There's an array of sauces and panchan such as one gets at Great Sea or Great Beijing.

HmartKyoDongNoodles7.jpg #11 Jjamjjamyeon (Jjamppong & Jajangmyeon) $7.99

HmartKyoDongNoodles4.jpg Self-serve panchan and tea

HmartKyoDongNoodles8.jpg Panchan and tea

HmartKyoDongNoodles9.jpg KyoDong Noodle, H Mart, Niles

KyoDong Noodle, count me a fan.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close