LTH Home

Zad by Pita Inn

Zad by Pita Inn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Zad by Pita Inn

Post #1 - November 16th, 2016, 1:50 pm
    Post #1 - November 16th, 2016, 1:50 pm Post #1 - November 16th, 2016, 1:50 pm
    Zad by Pita Inn has opened!

Perhaps I should say re-opened, in the old Pita Inn space.

As with its namesake, Middle-Eastern food is featured, but this is a different menu than Pita Inn. There is more of an emphasis on vegetarian fare and lighter meals, along with a series of entrees that seem more substantial than the kabob and shawarma plates of Pita Inn.

Highlights among the lighter fare include Foul (roasted fava beans mashed with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice) and Sambusak (chick pea turnovers), and a quinoa tahouleh.

Entrees include a couscous and vegetable stew and fassoulia (green beans stewed with tomato, onion, and roasted garlic), braised lamb(!), grilled chicken, and baked Atlantic salmon.

Pita Inn favorites such as hummus, baba ghannoug, and the fatoush salad are on the menu. Sorry, but no "business lunch."

Zad by Pita Inn
    3910 Dempster Street
    Skokie, IL 60076
    (847) 410-7999

Hours: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, seven days a week
  • Post #2 - November 17th, 2016, 9:12 am
    Post #2 - November 17th, 2016, 9:12 am Post #2 - November 17th, 2016, 9:12 am
    How was the food? Is this a full service sit down joint? Or do you order at the counter?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - November 17th, 2016, 7:50 pm
    Post #3 - November 17th, 2016, 7:50 pm Post #3 - November 17th, 2016, 7:50 pm
    Dave148 wrote:How was the food? Is this a full service sit down joint? Or do you order at the counter?

Its the same ordering system as the original Pita Inn, where you order/ Pay at the counter and they give you ticket with a number to pick up your food. The menu is totally different than the original Pita Inn with emphasis on mostly a vegetarian menu with meditarenan hand pies as well.

I tried the Salmon and Couscous (takeout order) which was good with the tahini and hot sauce but by itself was little bland without sauce. Below is a image copy and link of the menu of ZAD by Pita Inn:

Google Docs Link: --If you want to zoom in to the menu
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Igp ... sp=sharing
  • Post #4 - November 17th, 2016, 8:17 pm
    Post #4 - November 17th, 2016, 8:17 pm Post #4 - November 17th, 2016, 8:17 pm
    Below is a picture of my carry out order of Salmon and Couscous which I thought was ok but not outstanding. I am not rushing back to order this dish again! :)

• Post #5 - November 21st, 2016, 10:33 am
    Post #5 - November 21st, 2016, 10:33 am Post #5 - November 21st, 2016, 10:33 am
    I really don't understand the point of this restaurant existing. It's a few blocks down the road from their new massive restaurant and the menu is basically the same albeit with a handful of additions. Why didn't they just expand the menu at the main place?

This seems like a complete waste of space and money from the restaurant's POV. Also, doesn't make sense for customers. What if someone wants a dish from Zad and someone else in the party wants shwarma?

I love Pita Inn, but this is odd to say the least.
  • Post #6 - November 21st, 2016, 12:28 pm
    Post #6 - November 21st, 2016, 12:28 pm Post #6 - November 21st, 2016, 12:28 pm
    shakes wrote:I really don't understand the point of this restaurant existing. It's a few blocks down the road from their new massive restaurant and the menu is basically the same albeit with a handful of additions. Why didn't they just expand the menu at the main place?

This seems like a complete waste of space and money from the restaurant's POV. Also, doesn't make sense for customers. What if someone wants a dish from Zad and someone else in the party wants shwarma?

What are you talking about? The menu is completely different. I count 22 items on the menu at Zad that are not on the menu at Pita Inn.
  • Post #7 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am
    Post #7 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am Post #7 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am
    dagrassroots wrote:
    shakes wrote:I really don't understand the point of this restaurant existing. It's a few blocks down the road from their new massive restaurant and the menu is basically the same albeit with a handful of additions. Why didn't they just expand the menu at the main place?

What are you talking about? The menu is completely different. I count 22 items on the menu at Zad that are not on the menu at Pita Inn.

Aside from the baked goods and a few entrees, the menu is basically identical. Pita Inn has a fairly small menu as it is, don't see why they needed to have an entirely different store front 4 blocks away to accommodate a handful of new menu items.

Seems like a complete waste of resources to me.
  • Post #8 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:43 am
    Post #8 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:43 am Post #8 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:43 am
    Eater: Skokie Shawarma Fave Pita Inn Opens New Restaurant Concept Inside Original Location
  • Post #9 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:45 am
    Post #9 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:45 am Post #9 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:45 am
    If they add those new items to Pita Inn menu their food and labor costs will increase, it is that simple. On the other side they have to do something with the old space, so they are experimenting.
  • Post #10 - November 22nd, 2016, 5:41 pm
    Post #10 - November 22nd, 2016, 5:41 pm Post #10 - November 22nd, 2016, 5:41 pm
    shakes wrote:Aside from the baked goods and a few entrees, the menu is basically identical. Pita Inn has a fairly small menu as it is, don't see why they needed to have an entirely different store front 4 blocks away to accommodate a handful of new menu items.

You really need to work on your critical faculties.

The distance between the two places is one mile, 8 full blocks, not 4.

Only a few differences? Here's a partial list, not counting the 8 savory pies. Referring to them as baked goods gives a completely wrong impression.

Couscous , Foule , French Fries , Labne

Turnips , Sambuska , Yogurt, Eggplant wrap

Gulaj, Lamb, Salmon , Rice pudding

Fassoulia, Couscous stew, Mujadra
  • Post #11 - November 22nd, 2016, 6:40 pm
    Post #11 - November 22nd, 2016, 6:40 pm Post #11 - November 22nd, 2016, 6:40 pm
    If they own the building or are on the hook for a lease, why wouldn't they try to get something going in there . . . even if the menus were identical (which they are not)?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #12 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:02 pm
    Post #12 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:02 pm Post #12 - November 22nd, 2016, 10:02 pm
    Fries are on the Niles Pita Inn menu. So that's one fewer unique items at Zad.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #13 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:13 pm
    Post #13 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:13 pm Post #13 - November 22nd, 2016, 11:13 pm
    If the closest Pita Inn to Zad was in Niles this discussion would never have begun.
  • Post #14 - November 23rd, 2016, 10:17 am
    Post #14 - November 23rd, 2016, 10:17 am Post #14 - November 23rd, 2016, 10:17 am
    I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is. The owner of Pita Inn made a business decision to try something a bit different. If enough of the public like it, then Zad will succeed. If not then...

In the meantime I'd rather hear about the experiences of people who have gone to Zad. For me, there are enough differences in the menu that I'm willing to give Zad a try.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #15 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:03 am
    Post #15 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:03 am Post #15 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:03 am
    Lenny007 wrote:If they add those new items to Pita Inn menu their food and labor costs will increase, it is that simple. On the other side they have to do something with the old space, so they are experimenting.

I would think their labor costs would go up more by having to staff an entirely new restaurant as opposed to simply adding a few items to the menu.
  • Post #16 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:07 am
    Post #16 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:07 am Post #16 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:07 am
    scottsol wrote:
    shakes wrote:Aside from the baked goods and a few entrees, the menu is basically identical. Pita Inn has a fairly small menu as it is, don't see why they needed to have an entirely different store front 4 blocks away to accommodate a handful of new menu items.

You really need to work on your critical faculties.

The distance between the two places is one mile, 8 full blocks, not 4.

Only a few differences? Here's a partial list, not counting the 8 savory pies. Referring to them as baked goods gives a completely wrong impression.

Couscous , Foule , French Fries , Labne

Turnips , Sambuska , Yogurt, Eggplant wrap

Gulaj, Lamb, Salmon , Rice pudding

Fassoulia, Couscous stew, Mujadra

They have a section on the menu called "baked goods". How was I giving the wrong impression by stating that the "baked goods" were new to the menu?

and OMG, its 8 blocks instead of 4!!!!! What a massive difference.

Opening up an entire restaurant to showcase a handful of new items seems pretty ridiculous.

I also want to try this place since I'm a huge Pita Inn fan, but I fully expect this odd/redundant concept to fail in the long run.
  • Post #17 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:14 am
    Post #17 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:14 am Post #17 - November 23rd, 2016, 11:14 am
    shakes wrote:I also want to try this place since I'm a huge Pita Inn fan, but I fully expect this odd/redundant concept to fail in the long run.

Well, that salmon pictured above might have been great but looked pretty unappetizing in the picture. I'd love to see them successfully expand upon their brand.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #18 - November 24th, 2016, 9:16 am
    Post #18 - November 24th, 2016, 9:16 am Post #18 - November 24th, 2016, 9:16 am
    shakes wrote:
    Lenny007 wrote:If they add those new items to Pita Inn menu their food and labor costs will increase, it is that simple. On the other side they have to do something with the old space, so they are experimenting.

I would think their labor costs would go up more by having to staff an entirely new restaurant as opposed to simply adding a few items to the menu.

Just in case, I am not a fun of Pita Inn food, pita and sauce, because it is not interesting at all, but I haven't suggested they should add Zad's items to Pita Inn menu. Pita Inn concept works the way it is and most customers accepted it, so why change or complicate it. They can afford to screw around with ZAD, so let them do it.
    Chipotle screwed around with Shophouse concept for at least 5 years before calling it quit.
  • Post #19 - November 24th, 2016, 10:00 am
    Post #19 - November 24th, 2016, 10:00 am Post #19 - November 24th, 2016, 10:00 am
    That's kind of what I was thinking ... Pita Inn could be using Zad to experiment with concepts and new dishes that they might eventually expand to the rest of the mini-empire.
  • Post #20 - December 5th, 2016, 8:46 am
    Post #20 - December 5th, 2016, 8:46 am Post #20 - December 5th, 2016, 8:46 am
    Had lunch here last week. A few comments:

1) the lamb stew w/green beans was quite good and with a huge amount of lamb.

2) the salmon's sauce was overly sweet and the portion rather skimpy.

3) regardless of the above 2 statements; felt the value was a bit off; at $14 the entrees should come with soup or salad or something else; I mean even pickles are an upcharge.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #21 - February 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm
    Post #21 - February 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm Post #21 - February 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm
    Three year update.....

Just got back from an early-ish lunch there with a friend. The menu has expanded since the original one was posted upthread. Monday-Friday Lunch Specials are back and include two vegetarian ($6.99), one chicken with falafel, and one with steak, chicken, and falafel ($7.99). Meat specials include fatoush salad.

My meat-centric special was quite filling and delicious. Falafel balls were piping hot and tasty. My dining companion was equally happy with her veggie special.

Zad is a nice quiet alternative to the high ceilings and noisy Pita Inn that's 1.1 miles to the west. 8)

They seem to be doing a brisk delivery business based on the stream of guys coming through with red delivery bags. All-in, count me a Zad fan!
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #22 - November 12th, 2019, 10:56 am
    Post #22 - November 12th, 2019, 10:56 am Post #22 - November 12th, 2019, 10:56 am
    I was recently up in Winnetka for a charity clothing drive, and I hit Zad for a late lunch after carrying around heavy sacks of secondhand blue jeans for most of the afternoon. Maybe it was the hunger talking, but the braised lamb was one of the best meals I ate all year.
    It’s a huge portion of braised lamb leg on top of rice. The lamb is lean yet tender, no globs of fat or gristle, while the rice is perfectly cooked al dente with each grain having a firm bite and a creamy center. This might sound crazy but the stew surrounding the lamb might even be better than the meat! Juicy eggplants, tomatoes and peppers in a savory broth, no overcooked or mealy vegetables here. I tried to get the name of the stew from the lovely counter girl but all she would say was, “it’s Palestinian” (??) No matter, I’ll definitely be back of the braised lamb and maybe an extra side of the vegetable stew as well.
    Admittedly it was a little pricy, like $17 for the platter. But the portion is so big you can get 2 meals out of it easy. I of course ate the whole thing and had to be rolled home in a wheelbarrow.

A+ braised lamb from Zad’s!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more