LTH Home

Spicy Baby at Solga, for which there are now [pics]

Spicy Baby at Solga, for which there are now [pics]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Spicy Baby at Solga, for which there are now [pics]

Post #1 - September 10th, 2004, 10:09 am
    Post #1 - September 10th, 2004, 10:09 am Post #1 - September 10th, 2004, 10:09 am
    In my recent biking expeditions up and down Lincoln Avenue, there was a place I smelled along the way that seemed very enticing, except for one thing. The place was Solga, a relatively new Korean restaurant just south of Peterson a couple of blocks, and the only thing keeping me from going on was the knowledge that they would almost certainly require two people minimum to fire up the charcoal in the middle of the table.

So I conspired to get at least one other person to go with me, and as it turned out, we had four: GWiv, Steve Z, and my friend Wyatt. We ordered two orders of marinated Kalbi (beef), an order of beef tongue, an order of spicy baby squid (and how often do you get to say "Spicy baby" in any context?), along with the usual array of odd bowls of vegetable munchies and soup. Oh, and we started with a seafood pancake, which actually may have been the highlight of the meal, light and not too omelette-y, makes me think maybe I should go back solo sometime and just see how their kitchen makes bibim bop or something like that.

But as I say, we were there to grill meats. And spicy babies. So how was it. Well... Actually, I'm just vamping here until GWiv posts some photos. The marinated beef was really good. Just a simple teriyaki type marinade, but tasted just fine, done in the usual way of plopping it with some scallion, a little self-grilled garlic, and some brownish sauce (does it have a name?) onto a piece of lettuce and eating it all like an fairly healthy taco. I also liked the tongue, slightly organ-tangy but mild. The disappointment, just ok, was the spicy baby squid, which didn't have that much spicy baby flavor. Oh, and I liked more of the munchies than usual, a radish-in-rice-vinegar salad was especially tasty. All in all, one of the better Korean meals I've had, just on the standards. And a nice-looking place, dark woods and little screened-rooms at the side.

Okay, let's see, are those pics developed yet?

Solga
    5828 N. Lincoln Ave.
    773-728-0802
    Last edited by Mike G on September 12th, 2004, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - September 12th, 2004, 10:12 am
    Post #2 - September 12th, 2004, 10:12 am Post #2 - September 12th, 2004, 10:12 am
    LTH,

Solga is a nice addition to the Korean BBQ scene, flavorful kalbi.

Tasty baby octopus, which I seem to have enjoyed a bit more then Mike.

Downright delicious tongue

Tasty seafood pancake, which we just about finished before I took a picture.

Nice assortment of panchan.
    (Picture by Steve Z)

Our meal was rounded out with roasted corn tea, soy bean soup, rice and a small cup of warm liquid for dessert that tasted strongly of cinnamon and smelled like potpourri, with one floating pine nut.
    (Picture by Steve Z)

Very good service and pleasant physical space. Only, slight, downside is they use lump charcoal with a gas assist and when the lump charcoal runs out the heat source is only gas.

In addition to our lunch visit, I've been to Solga once before and particularly liked the mackerel and pork bulgogi.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Solga Charcoal Grill and Noodle
    5828 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-728-0802
  • Post #3 - June 18th, 2005, 10:54 am
    Post #3 - June 18th, 2005, 10:54 am Post #3 - June 18th, 2005, 10:54 am
    maybe it's because we didn't order any BBQ.

had the 'boo dae ji gae'. which essentially was a glorified kimchi jigae + ramyung filled with hotdog@!#$ and some salted pork. I was told by a Korean dad that it's similar t what would be served in the Army. the spicy squid stir-fry was mediocre. not spicy enough, not as great as served @ Hae Woon Dae. the final straw was the abysmal panchan. 8 dishes, all vegetarian, no myeol chi, no salted crabs, no thing.

the service, OTOH, was simply amazing for a korean restaurant. no need to scream A-JIMA! at the servers, the owner was constantly circling and surveying the scene. big thumbs up. nonetheless, first and last time for us here. i'm still mourning the passing of F.D.L.T.
  • Post #4 - December 10th, 2005, 8:45 am
    Post #4 - December 10th, 2005, 8:45 am Post #4 - December 10th, 2005, 8:45 am
    G Wiv wrote:Only, slight, downside is they use lump charcoal with a gas assist and when the lump charcoal runs out the heat source is only gas.

Two downsides, based on my visit. No charcoal at all anymore. And two orders of any table-fired item are required, so if you go as a couple, you both have to get the same thing. (Most places require at least two orders before they'll light the fire, but often you can get two different kinds of meat.)

I also have mixed feelings about the service, which was effusive and eager -- they did all our cooking for us -- but a little stifling.

However, the kalbi was tender and quite flavorful even without charcoal, as well as a very generous serving. The banchan were copious and delicious (mainly vegetable based -- no dried fish -- but also including a nice bowl of chap chae). And the wang mandoo, steamed dumplings, were enormous and delectable.

Solga Charcoal Grill and Noodle
    5828 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773/728-0802

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide