LTH Home

Killing 2 hours in Berwyn

Killing 2 hours in Berwyn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Killing 2 hours in Berwyn

Post #1 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
    Post #1 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:02 pm Post #1 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
    <emote traditional Svengoolie Berrrrr-wynnn! sound here>

So, as Mrs. Kman doesn't drive I'm apparently driving her to a baby shower in Berwyn tomorrow (5-7 PM). I had thought that perhaps I'd cool my heels over at Fitzgerald's but they don't open until 7 so no joy there. I did some searching of the 'ol LTH fora (only 1 page of hits for the word "Berwyn" in Eating out in Chicagoland, surprising) and am mulling over the following:

Having the Village Gyros at Nicky's (formerly Kings & Queens) and then heading over to Ragain's for a couple of malt beverages.

If anything has changed about the 2 places above or if sombody has suggestions for a simple, friendly place to while away a couple of hours while having a beer or 2 and maybe something to eat I'm all ears. Sadly, everything I know about Berwyn I learned from Jerry Bishop and Rich Koz (so, not a lot).
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #2 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm
    Post #2 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm Post #2 - February 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm
    Not exactly Berwyn, but in close-by Cicero I recommend a visit to Al's Restaurant for some of the best old school red sauce Italian around. Their thin crust pizza is pretty good, but I usually stick with veal or eggplant parmagian... And no visit to Al's is complete without a visit to the salad gondola. The bar is full of characters right out of certral casting.

Al's Restaurant
    6050 W. Cermak
    Cicero, IL
    708-656-1060
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - February 3rd, 2006, 5:35 pm
    Post #3 - February 3rd, 2006, 5:35 pm Post #3 - February 3rd, 2006, 5:35 pm
    Kman,

I hope Ragain's is open that early!

Stevez brings up a good point -- there are a lot of places in Cicero that are worthy. For instance, you could stop by Klas (their bar will definitely be open) or La Quebrada (there are actually a number of Mexican joints in the area, Cicero now being largely Hispanic).

Nicky's is not really a place to hang around -- it's pretty much a dump...but they serve a mean baby.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #4 - February 3rd, 2006, 6:12 pm
    Post #4 - February 3rd, 2006, 6:12 pm Post #4 - February 3rd, 2006, 6:12 pm
    You're going to be in Cicero, you have to at least stop over at GNR Freddy's on 16th street. Get some gelato or bread or pizza or pasta or just soak up the great atmosphere.

Freddy's Pizzeria
    (708) 863-9289
    1600 S 61st Ave
    Cicero, IL 60804
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #5 - February 3rd, 2006, 11:09 pm
    Post #5 - February 3rd, 2006, 11:09 pm Post #5 - February 3rd, 2006, 11:09 pm
    Yea, Cicero and Berwyn are pretty cool areas. Cermak is nearly all Mexico with only bits of Bohemian left. All of the places I list below are on Cermak.

Neither Mexican or Bohemian, however is Old Fashion Candy near Ridgeland. Lotsa great non-fancy stuff.

Flamingo just east of Oak Park has 101 flavors of Mexican ice creams, sample about 11 or so before deciding. I like the camoyte, the chocolate (or the Mexican chocolate), the cajeta, the toasted coconut, the vanila, well, I like 'em all...

Near by Flamingo is Chimbompo, who specializes in various masa preparations.

Vescey's, the Czech bakery is closer to Harlem and kinda sad because it's clientele is mostly gone. It won't have much stock by 5 PM but might still be worth a visit for nostalgia's sake.

D'Andrea's is a good not great Italian market in the mall with the cars on spindle (worth a visit in its own right) (at Harlem).

If you are architectually inclined, a little jot SW from Berwyn will take you too Riverside, one of the first suburbs done up with curvy streets. Several prairie houses including a few Wrights.

I'm sorry, I'm typing this up late at night. Do a search on "Cermak" and you will probably find a few more things I've posted on in Berwyn.

Rob
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #6 - February 4th, 2006, 5:01 pm
    Post #6 - February 4th, 2006, 5:01 pm Post #6 - February 4th, 2006, 5:01 pm
    Thank you everyone for the replies. As it turns out I will not be pulling chauffeur duty tonight (I'm all torn up about that). The responses did serve to remind me that I've never actually been to La Quebrada - something I intend to remedy soon! Are all the locations BYOB-friendly or is it just the Cicero one?

<edited for spelling>
    Last edited by Kman on February 4th, 2006, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #7 - February 4th, 2006, 5:13 pm
    Post #7 - February 4th, 2006, 5:13 pm Post #7 - February 4th, 2006, 5:13 pm
    I do not know if the days, Freddies is open have changed, but in the past, they were not open on Sundays. I'd check before going.
  • Post #8 - February 4th, 2006, 5:47 pm
    Post #8 - February 4th, 2006, 5:47 pm Post #8 - February 4th, 2006, 5:47 pm
    Kman wrote: The responses did serve to remind me that I've never actually been to La Quebreda - something I intend to remedy soon! Are all the locations BYOB-friendly or is it just the Cicero one?

Are we sure the one in Cicero is BYOB? I'm not.

sabersix wrote:I do not know if the days, Freddies is open have changed, but in the past, they were not open on Sundays. I'd check before going.

Freddy's is closed Sunday (http://freddyspizza.com/)
  • Post #9 - February 4th, 2006, 7:01 pm
    Post #9 - February 4th, 2006, 7:01 pm Post #9 - February 4th, 2006, 7:01 pm
    Sure, but Kman was asking about Saturday. So yes, don't try to go tomorrow, but, hey. Saturdays are fair game.

Note also that they close at 7pm.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #10 - February 4th, 2006, 7:46 pm
    Post #10 - February 4th, 2006, 7:46 pm Post #10 - February 4th, 2006, 7:46 pm
    David Hammond wrote:

Hmmm, this is indeed a conundrum as in this thread about La Quebrada another David Hammond wrote:

"Yes, LQ Cicero is BYO -- I asked the manager if it was okay to bring wine and beer, and he said "Yes, and liquor."

Hammond"

Now I'm suspicious - "The 6th Day" is on TV right now, the plot of which is essentially that there's a cloned Arnold Schwarzegger that's taken the real one's place (surprisingly, this is NOT a horror movie). Now I'm wondering if the same dastardly deed doers doppleganged David Hammond? :)
  • Post #11 - February 4th, 2006, 11:11 pm
    Post #11 - February 4th, 2006, 11:11 pm Post #11 - February 4th, 2006, 11:11 pm
    Kman wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

Hmmm, this is indeed a conundrum as in this thread about La Quebrada another David Hammond wrote:

"Yes, LQ Cicero is BYO -- I asked the manager if it was okay to bring wine and beer, and he said "Yes, and liquor."

Hammond"

Now I'm suspicious - "The 6th Day" is on TV right now, the plot of which is essentially that there's a cloned Arnold Schwarzegger that's taken the real one's place (surprisingly, this is NOT a horror movie). Now I'm wondering if the same dastardly deed doers doppleganged David Hammond? :)

Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself.

Whitman.

I guess if I said it was BYO, then it must be true. :lol: Thanks, Kman, for reminding me of what I said.

Incidentally, I stopped by Freddy's tonight and picked up some excellent lasagna to go.

Hammond
  • Post #12 - February 4th, 2006, 11:17 pm
    Post #12 - February 4th, 2006, 11:17 pm Post #12 - February 4th, 2006, 11:17 pm
    The Quebrada in Cicero is BYOB, but extremely non-supportive to such efforts. Or put it this way, bring your own glasses too. :)
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #13 - February 5th, 2006, 11:32 am
    Post #13 - February 5th, 2006, 11:32 am Post #13 - February 5th, 2006, 11:32 am
    If I had two hours to kill in Berwyn, I would definately stop the James Joyce and enjoy one of the best bars in Chicago (or in this case Berwyn). It is one building off the corner of Windsor and Harlem. It has a pretty bigbeer selection, but what really makes the place is the employees. They are the best. No food just drinks.

Nolan
  • Post #14 - February 8th, 2006, 10:07 am
    Post #14 - February 8th, 2006, 10:07 am Post #14 - February 8th, 2006, 10:07 am
    This is probably a little late but,

I checked out cinco hermanos grocery and restuarant the other day at about 16th and ridgeland. Gorditas were ok, but the barbacoa de borrego estilo hidalgo was very very nice, nicely spiced with the meat cooked until the fat hat become juicy and melting.

Chile rellenos also weren't bad.

Nearby I noticed a placed called parad-ice. Anyone been?
  • Post #15 - February 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm
    Post #15 - February 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm Post #15 - February 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm
    After a nice breakfast at The Depot My Bride and I took a drive around Cicero and Berwyn taking some exterior pics of places that might be interesting to try...

We first headed east on Roosevelt...

Errico's Club 30‎
    5713 W Roosevelt Rd, Cicero
    (708) 652-0945

Good Food? I don't know? Looks like a dive bar.
    I probably has been around since before the Capone days and the entertainment probably was strippers from the Bad Old Days.

Continuing along Roosevelt...

Sarno's Restaurant
    5615 W Roosevelt Rd, Cicero
    (708) 656-0797‎

Closed at noon on a Saturday? Peeked inside and it appeared to be in business, tables set and ready for customers.
    From the outside it looked like a sandwich stand but the peek revealed a good amount of tables.

Any place that has a Blue Plate Special is worth a visit. :)

Turning south on Laramie...

Isabella's Lounge
    1417 S Central Ave, Cicero
    (708) 222-4300

Looks more lounge than restaurant although they do advertise Authentic Mexican Cuisine. I have stopped here in the past when it was other fast food type places.

Might be interesting...

Turning back west on 16th...

Carnitas Don Abran
    68th Ct and 16th St, Cicero
    (708) 222-8535

Looks like it might be worth a stop.

Didn't I see this logo posted not too long ago?

Elena's Tacos
    1538 S 61st Ave, Cicero
    (708) 652-4600

Another place that looks worth a stop. Right across the street from GNR Freddie's Pizza.

Cute logo!

Restaurant connected to Carniceria Cinco Hermanos‎
    6500 16th St, Berwyn

Parad - Ice
    1600 Scoville Ave, Berwyn
    (708) 795-5561

Mentioned upthread

Turned up Oak Park Ave and continued west on Roosevelt...

Bag of Fish‎
    6909 Roosevelt Rd, Berwyn
    (708) 788-3375

Already reviewed by Ann Fisher. Never saw anyone coming or going. Might be worth a stop.

Right next door...

Ely's Place
    6911 Roosevelt Rd, Berwyn
    (708) 637-4191

This place has been here for a while now. Doesn't seem to ever be busy. I think I stopped in a long time ago. The advertise that they make homemade soup and are always changing up their specials. Might just have to stop in to try.

Just down the street some openings and closings.

From there we were heading home but detoured to a newer spot along in the Art District on Harrison in Oak Park.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #16 - February 14th, 2009, 10:33 pm
    Post #16 - February 14th, 2009, 10:33 pm Post #16 - February 14th, 2009, 10:33 pm
    I believe, but don't quote me on this, that at least one scene of the forgettable Steve Martin/Laura Dern/Helena Bonham Carter movie Novocaine was shot at Errico's (which is across the street-ish from Chicago Studio City).
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #17 - February 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm
    Post #17 - February 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm Post #17 - February 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm
    Elena's is, unfortunately, not worth a stop.

(several of us tried it on the Giro di Gelato, very poor steak and pork tacos with no char, limited seasoning, and mealy tortillas).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more