LTH Home

Mr Shrimp

Mr Shrimp
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mr Shrimp

Post #1 - March 16th, 2006, 7:59 pm
    Post #1 - March 16th, 2006, 7:59 pm Post #1 - March 16th, 2006, 7:59 pm
    Erzsi wrote:This location is also diagnal from a carry out place called Mr. Shrimp. I haven't been in recently, but the advertise alligator, frog legs, crab legs, and shrimp. If you make it down this far it might be worth a walk in there as well.

Mr Shrimp is an odd little place. I don’t know how long it’s been in business but I’d guess a long, long time. After years of passing by every now and then I finally decided to stop in. Deciding to keep it simple and trying to play to Mr Shrimp’s strength, I ordered a jumbo dinner. The thickly-breaded shrimp were decent but not particularly large or abundant and the crinkle cut fries were ordinary. The ketchup-based sauce, with a nice balance of heat and vinegar, was surprisingly enjoyable. I don’t think I’d consider Mr Shrimp a special destination but if you find yourself west of Midway with a hankering for alligator, this could be the place.

Mr Shrimp’s Signs
    Doesn’t Mr Shrimp remind you a lot of Mr Peanut?

Mr Shrimp’s Menu
    Not many places in Chicago to get corn dogs and alligator.

Mr Shrimp
    7157 W 63rd St
    Chicago
    773-586-9000
    take out only
    open late (usually to 1am?)
  • Post #2 - March 16th, 2006, 10:05 pm
    Post #2 - March 16th, 2006, 10:05 pm Post #2 - March 16th, 2006, 10:05 pm
    Lobster dinner's only $11.99? I wonder what that entails (shudder...).
  • Post #3 - March 16th, 2006, 10:30 pm
    Post #3 - March 16th, 2006, 10:30 pm Post #3 - March 16th, 2006, 10:30 pm
    Rene G wrote:Not many places in Chicago to get corn dogs and alligator.

. . . not to mention Cat Fillets and Cat Nuggets. :shock:
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #4 - March 17th, 2006, 1:16 am
    Post #4 - March 17th, 2006, 1:16 am Post #4 - March 17th, 2006, 1:16 am
    Jay K wrote:Lobster dinner's only $11.99? I wonder what that entails (shudder...).

I would guess it entails tails. Small ones, breaded and deep fried, like virtually everything at Mr Shrimp. I tried the version at Southside Shrimp House (a much better place than Mr Shrimp) and it wasn’t bad but certainly not the best way to prepare lobster. You know what really makes me shudder to think about at Mr Shrimp? The BBQ rib tips.
  • Post #5 - March 17th, 2006, 5:19 am
    Post #5 - March 17th, 2006, 5:19 am Post #5 - March 17th, 2006, 5:19 am
    You know what really makes me shudder to think about at Mr Shrimp? The BBQ rib tips.

Probably also battered and deep-fried, or?
  • Post #6 - March 17th, 2006, 9:49 am
    Post #6 - March 17th, 2006, 9:49 am Post #6 - March 17th, 2006, 9:49 am
    LTH,

My mother used to work for the son of Mr. Shrimp's owner. His main business is as a seafood wholesaler where the retail locations (I think his second location closed a few years ago) really only are profitable during the lenten season. He owns a few of the buildings in the neighborhood IIRC. Mr. Shrimp used to be frequent stop for my family because the owners children (ie. my mom's boss and his sibs) would be working there and covered in a sorts of breading and fyer grease. It's been a number of years since I've visited, but the shrimp were always enjoyable, but not necessarily the best I've ever had.

Flip
    "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be Happy"
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #7 - March 17th, 2006, 12:03 pm
    Post #7 - March 17th, 2006, 12:03 pm Post #7 - March 17th, 2006, 12:03 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Erzsi wrote:This location is also diagnal from a carry out place called Mr. Shrimp. I haven't been in recently, but the advertise alligator, frog legs, crab legs, and shrimp. If you make it down this far it might be worth a walk in there as well.

Mr Shrimp is an odd little place. I don’t know how long it’s been in business but I’d guess a long, long time.

I was talking with my mom today about Mr. Shrimp and asked her about how long she thinks that it's been there. She said that she came up to Chicago sometime in the early 60's and thinks that it was there when she lived in the area and first married my dad. So by her guess at least 1963. I think you're right about the hours because it always seems to be open until pretty late in the evening as well.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more