LTH Home

Bridgestone @ Honey 1 for Dinner Tuesday

Bridgestone @ Honey 1 for Dinner Tuesday
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bridgestone @ Honey 1 for Dinner Tuesday

Post #1 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:45 am
    Post #1 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:45 am Post #1 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:45 am
    LTH,

In a second Chicago appearance Bridgestone will bring the musical styling of the Swedish Flatlands to Honey 1 BBQ. There will be a Smorgasbord featuring flame kissed herring, Swedish egg rolls and grilled "gold" beef, it will be a Dilly of a dinner.

Ok, not really musical styling or herring Smorgasbord, but Bridgestone will be at Honey One for good 'ol American BBQ Tuesday April 10th, 7pm along with myself, my wife Ellen and any and all LTHers who would like to join in the festivities.

Honey 1 is BYOB, I plan on bringing the last of my stash of Bell's.

I am very much looking forward to meeting and chatting with Bridgestone.

All are welcome, the more the merrier.

April 10th, Tuesday
    7:00 PM
    Honey 1 BBQ
    2241 N Western
    Chicago, IL
    773-227-5130
    BYOB
    Last edited by G Wiv on April 9th, 2007, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:48 am
    Post #2 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:48 am Post #2 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:48 am
    I'll be there.

Thanks for setting this up.

I'm looking forward to meeting the president of LTHForum, Swedish Division.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #3 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am
    Post #3 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am Post #3 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am
    Yeah, Gary - Thanks a lot!

I'm looking forward to meeting some LTHForum readers and posters as well as finally, finally, finally testing some of that incredible-looking Honey1!
  • Post #4 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:58 am
    Post #4 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:58 am Post #4 - April 2nd, 2007, 7:58 am
    I'm sorry to say that I will be out of town that day. Please have some tips for me!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - April 2nd, 2007, 3:15 pm
    Post #5 - April 2nd, 2007, 3:15 pm Post #5 - April 2nd, 2007, 3:15 pm
    I will try to make it next Tuesday.
  • Post #6 - April 2nd, 2007, 5:33 pm
    Post #6 - April 2nd, 2007, 5:33 pm Post #6 - April 2nd, 2007, 5:33 pm
    We'll wave at you from down the block and a trifle around the corner at Matou...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #7 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:19 pm
    Post #7 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:19 pm Post #7 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:19 pm
    First post here, but I've been reading LTH forever. I'm Bridgestone's Oak Park-based brother and will most certainly be attending and snapping food pictures like a madman.

Now, since I've broken the ice, if I can just figure out how to post the rest of the pics from our recent Swedish steak feast...
  • Post #8 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:23 pm
    Post #8 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:23 pm Post #8 - April 2nd, 2007, 8:23 pm
    I'm sorry to have to miss the oppportunity to meet Bridgestone, since I am a big fan. Maybe next time?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #9 - April 7th, 2007, 3:40 pm
    Post #9 - April 7th, 2007, 3:40 pm Post #9 - April 7th, 2007, 3:40 pm
    Tuedsay at 7, Bridgestone and BBQ.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - April 9th, 2007, 9:38 pm
    Post #10 - April 9th, 2007, 9:38 pm Post #10 - April 9th, 2007, 9:38 pm
    Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend due to work. Maybe next time.
  • Post #11 - April 10th, 2007, 4:16 pm
    Post #11 - April 10th, 2007, 4:16 pm Post #11 - April 10th, 2007, 4:16 pm
    Just a reminder. Tonight's the night to eat BBQ and/or meet Bridgestone.

If you're like me, you're interested in both. 7pm Honey 1. The more the merrier.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #12 - April 10th, 2007, 5:04 pm
    Post #12 - April 10th, 2007, 5:04 pm Post #12 - April 10th, 2007, 5:04 pm
    Hope to join you tonight.

It'll help kick-off my various birthday celebrations, sometimes referred-to (in English) by select cognoscenti in this and other planes of existence as "Matt Fest," "End-of-Civilization-as-We-Know-it Rehearsal," "Cthulhu's Kaffe Klatch," and "You Know--That Thing...."

It'll be fun; you'll see....

--Matt
    "If I have dined better than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants...and got the waiter's attention." --Sir Isaac "Ready to order NOW" Newton

"You worry too much. Eat some bacon... What? No, I got no idea if it'll make you feel better, I just made too much bacon." --Justin Halpern's dad
  • Post #13 - April 11th, 2007, 2:39 pm
    Post #13 - April 11th, 2007, 2:39 pm Post #13 - April 11th, 2007, 2:39 pm
    Thought I'd take a short breather from Matt Fest, et al., to thank everyone for contributing, last night, to an auspicious kick-off to the eve of the anniversary of my birth.

Meeting Bridgestone and CubsFanFoodie was a pleasure, especially since sharing BBQ with them and the rest of the group (GWiv & Ellen, eatchicago & petit-pois/cookie, Trixie-Pea & Pigmon, Aaron Deacon, M'thu'su, and Germuska) was culturally-enhanced with a surprise sampling of Swedish "penny candies." They provided a range of flavors, from the familiar-tasting (chocolate covered caramel) but evocatively-named PLOPP, to the novel: a heavily salt-encrusted black licorice drop with a picture of a monkey on the bag and a jungle-y-sounding name, in Swedish of course! (Salt-encrusted licorice--"Mmmm...that's some good drinking candy!")

Follow-on adventures at Map Room were further icings on the cake / encrustations on the licorice.

--Matt
    "If I have dined better than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants...and got the waiter's attention." --Sir Isaac "Ready to order NOW" Newton

"You worry too much. Eat some bacon... What? No, I got no idea if it'll make you feel better, I just made too much bacon." --Justin Halpern's dad
  • Post #14 - April 11th, 2007, 4:29 pm
    Post #14 - April 11th, 2007, 4:29 pm Post #14 - April 11th, 2007, 4:29 pm
    Happy Birthday, mhl!

Many, many thanks to Gary for organizing this and to all who came out for some awesome BBQ on a Tuesday night. I really enjoyed the evening.

Honey 1 pictures have been posted a million times, but here's what we had last night, as delivered across several rounds of goodness.

Ribs on the smoker

Slab of ribs

GWiv's "chili enhanced" BBQ sauce

Order of wings

Hot links

Round Two

Fried Okra

...and the aftermath, complete with Swedish candy wrappers.
  • Post #15 - April 12th, 2007, 7:56 am
    Post #15 - April 12th, 2007, 7:56 am Post #15 - April 12th, 2007, 7:56 am
    LTH,

It was a distinct pleasure to meet Bridgestone at Honey 1, he's just as charming and food focused in person as on LTHForum. His brother CubsFanFoodie is a kindred spirit as well, you should have seen his eyes light up when describing the "gold" dry-age beef at Willy Ohlsson's. Call me sentimental, but it was especially nice to see how well the brothers got along and made me happy I'm going to be spending some time this summer with my West Coast residing brother.

Food at Honey 1 was quite good, Robert Adams Sr kindly let the Bridgestone brothers, along with MHL and germuska back to see his wood burning 'Aquarium' style pit in action.

We continued the festivities at the Map Room where we hoisted a glass or two to Bridgestone's visit, and MHL's birthday, and had the pleasure of bumping into* into Griffin and Griffin's Wife. As general note to Map Room patrons, if you happen to stumble over any of the multiple booze related brain cells I left there Tuesday night please email or PM.

A fine evening all around.

Enjoy,
    Gary

*Literally, the place was quite crowded
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #16 - April 12th, 2007, 12:06 pm
    Post #16 - April 12th, 2007, 12:06 pm Post #16 - April 12th, 2007, 12:06 pm
    It was pure coincidence mind you, but there I was at Honey 1, picking up a couple of pulled pork sandwiches for myself and a colleague on the same night of this esteemed gathering. I spotted them through the big plate glass window in the dining room as I got out of the car and headed for the front door. Although G Wiv was the only one I recognized, even without him sitting there, I knew this had to be an LTH group. Just the right vibe I guess. It was a pleasure to meet all of you, although briefly. I wish I'd had more time to chat with Aaron Deacon about the grub in KC but those sandwiches were getting soggier by the minute.

As for the sandwiches, they were quite tasty, perhaps even better than (hold on to your hats folks) Smoque's version. I'm pretty sure I know why, too. Honey 1 pulls their pork in thicker, "ropier" strands allowing the meat to hold on to its smoky flavor and moistness better than Smoque's finer shreds. It's a good method and one that Barry Sokol over at Smoque should consider adopting.

I did feel that the portion was a bit skimpy, a comment that has been made before on these boards. The thick institutional steak fries were good but not even in the same league with Smoque's fresh cut, skin on fries. It would be nice if Honey 1 offered as many side dish options as Smoque does.

The bottom line learning experience for me was that both of these places are doing some things right and others not so much. If they both learned from each other's successes and failures they would both benefit greatly as would we.

Buddy
  • Post #17 - April 12th, 2007, 4:42 pm
    Post #17 - April 12th, 2007, 4:42 pm Post #17 - April 12th, 2007, 4:42 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote: It would be nice if Honey 1 offered as many side dish options as Smoque does.

Or even just a few more than they currently do.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #18 - April 13th, 2007, 6:13 am
    Post #18 - April 13th, 2007, 6:13 am Post #18 - April 13th, 2007, 6:13 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:As for the sandwiches, they were quite tasty, perhaps even better than (hold on to your hats folks) Smoque's version. I'm pretty sure I know why, too. Honey 1 pulls their pork in thicker, "ropier" strands allowing the meat to hold on to its smoky flavor and moistness better than Smoque's finer shreds.

Buddy,

Nice seeing you at Honey 1, wish you would have had the time to sit and chat.

Far as pulled pork, Honey 1 is my preference, partially for, as you describe, the "thicker, "ropier" strands," but also for the flavor difference in Honey 1 cooking direct over wood in a Chicago style 'Aquarium' smoker and Smoque using a gas Southern Pride rotisserie smoker with an offset gas flamed smoke log .

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - April 13th, 2007, 6:48 am
    Post #19 - April 13th, 2007, 6:48 am Post #19 - April 13th, 2007, 6:48 am
    Finally back in Sweden and with more than a few seconds to post!

I had an incredible time meeting a great group of LTHForum posters AND eating Robert Sr.'s excellent product. I truly enjoyed Honey1's BBQ.

However and honestly, had the food been worse, I probably wouldn't have noticed. The company would have easily made up for any shortcomings. Excellent conversation, fantasic booze, a personal tour of Honey1's pit by Robert Sr. and GWiv and my own private stash of Gary's hot peppar oil to smuggle back with me - how could have things gone wrong?

Thanks to everyone for taking such great care of this visiting poster!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more