Banchan

Posted July 9th 2007, 10:52am
Just wanted to report that we had an outstanding experience at the recently-opened Ditka's in Oak Brook (technically Oakbrook Terrace, I believe). Not having eaten at the Ditka's in the city, and frankly not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the entrees and sides. Though it obviously is a meat and potatoes restaurant, the menu (somewhat surprisingly) was heavy on the high-end seafood, with sea bass and halibut (stuffed with goat cheese, blue crab and shrimp) prominently featured, as well as a number of other fish and seafood entrees.

Ditka's apparently is known for its pork chop -- and the perfectly prepared meaty, bone-in double chop did not disappoint. Those who ordered steaks were similarly pleased. The sides were great, and the service -- we were there with a fairly large group -- somewhat surprisingly was very, very good.

The coach was there, and even made it a point to stop by our table and wish my father-in-law a happy birthday. I'd heard that Ditka can be quite surly, but we found him to be very friendly (albeit a bit intense). It really made my father-in-law's night and was a nice touch.

Even with Morton's and Wildfire nearby (and Hugo's in Naperville), I think that this is a nice addition to the western burbs, and, though it's not cheap, I'd imagine that we definitely will go back.

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted July 10th 2007, 8:35am
Ditka's in Oakbrook, now home to the Oyster Whisperer, as reported by Mike Sula on Food Chain:

http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/food/200 ... k-terrace/

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Posted July 10th 2007, 9:16am
I went to the downtown Ditka's for the first time several weeks ago (for a bachelor party dinner, which I guess has an unwritten rule about going only to "manly" eating establishments). I must say, I was a little underwhelmed. Granted, the fried calamari appetizer was very good, but that "signature" pork chop was one of the driest pieces of meat I have ever tried to eat. It was so bad, even after multiple beers, that I actually had them bring me another one (which I almost never do). The second one was just a smidge less dry. I think Mike should stick to football.

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
Posted November 12th 2007, 12:45am
Just visited Ditak's in Oakbrook for dinner... must say that it was an incredible meal start to finish with only a few minor bumps.

Startedt the meal with:

Pot Roast Nachos, tortilla chips littereted with egnerous chunks of pot roast, layered with cheese and sour cream and then baked... and finally covered with crispy slices of jalapeno... comfort food with a twist

Rare Seared Tuna very tasty and very fresh.

Crawfish Chicken Tasso Andouille Gumbo well balanced, a lot of flavor, and a lot of meat. Must be a holdover from Ditka's days in New Orleans

Caesar Salad a lemony Caesar dressing and huge homemade croutons.

Entrees

Da Pork Chop- Medium Well served with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and a Cherry jus reduction.... incredible flavor, incredibly moist. The prok chop is a double chop on the bone and an auxilary boneless mass of pork huddled up against it. Paired very well with the Ditake Merlot

AND THE HIGHLIGHT

The Tomahawk... Huge Dry Aged Ribeye Steak... $50 and worth every penny... Had the pleasure of enjoying the 40 day at Primehouse last year and I have to say I enjoyed this piece of meat just as much if not more and it was a much larger portion... The presentation of a huge frenched rib bone (hence the tomahawk) always gets the juices flowing. I immediately carved the bone away, picked it up and made sure I got all of the meat off it... The steak had wonderful dry aged flavor and texture. Surprisingly the Ditka Cabernet held up very well to the strond beef lavor

Twice Baked Potato tasted old,I have never been a huge fan of twice baked poatatoes, but the Butternut Squash Gratin which was basically mashed butternut squash sprinled with goat cheese was very tasty

Dessert was Creme Brulee and a slice of off the menu Banana Cream Pie... a great ending to one very enjoyable dining experience.
Posted December 11th 2009, 3:40pm
NaperMan wrote:

AND THE HIGHLIGHT

The Tomahawk... Huge Dry Aged Ribeye Steak... $50 and worth every penny... Had the pleasure of enjoying the 40 day at Primehouse last year and I have to say I enjoyed this piece of meat just as much if not more and it was a much larger portion... The presentation of a huge frenched rib bone (hence the tomahawk) always gets the juices flowing. I immediately carved the bone away, picked it up and made sure I got all of the meat off it... The steak had wonderful dry aged flavor and texture.

Going to this Ditka's location for a business dinner Tuesday night, hoping to see this steak on the menu(looking @ their online menu it is not listed). Was this a special for the night, or has anyone been recently and seen this offered?

What its like washing windows when you know there are pigeons on the roof

Before Cotton was King: http://www.grubseeker.blogspot.com
Posted December 16th 2009, 9:14am
did up a business x-mas dinner last night @ Ditka's Oak Brook. Not a blad place, food was ok, better since I didnt have to pick up the tab.

Appetizers:

- Onion ring loaf, not bad, anything with deep fried onions is ok with me

- Pot Roast Nachos. Interesting dish, served piping hot, loaded with cheese, pot roast and jalapenos. Kind of reminded me of a pulled pork nachos, but with less flavor

- Crab bisque - a decent version, nice broth with small shreds of crab.

Main

- Tomahawk Dry Aged Bone in Ribeye. A nice steak, not the best I have ever had, but a monster of a steak coming in @ 32 oz. Perfectly cooked(rare). Added some King Crab Legs to this plate for a little surf and turf. $80 for this surf and turf combo.

Side

- jalapeno hashbronws, really nice. packed with jalapeno taste, and topped with sour cream and chives. I liked these alot.

Desert:

- I got some sort of banana dessert to go, didnt try it.

Drinks:

- a few Patron Neats(4), and some Stella beer as well.

For a steak and seafood combo in this area I would go to Harry Carays/Holy Mackerel before returning to Ditkas.

What its like washing windows when you know there are pigeons on the roof

Before Cotton was King: http://www.grubseeker.blogspot.com
Home Cookin'

Online Information