LTH Home

Bobby Q's BBQ - Arlington Hts

Bobby Q's BBQ - Arlington Hts
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bobby Q's BBQ - Arlington Hts

Post #1 - June 5th, 2004, 8:23 pm
    Post #1 - June 5th, 2004, 8:23 pm Post #1 - June 5th, 2004, 8:23 pm
    Tried it again today, had a three meat platter consisting of brisket, pork and I said links just for kicks (my own I guess) as the word links was not known by the waitstaff, so I said 'the sausage'.

Brisket, very tender, but sliced way thin and had a taste of pot roast, not smoke nor BBQ.

Sausage, seemed very generic, almost polish like.

Shredded pork, I did not even finish it. NO smoke or BBQ flavor.

The owner was very nice and I believe truly disappointed that I did not enjoy the meal. He said that on Fri & Sat nights they are so packed they need reservations. He was honest and said he does not 'overly' smoke his meats as the customers don't want them that way, he would "love to put more smoke into my ribs" as he stated. He does have a large smoker in back of his place.

He is running a business and unfortunately I don't doubt him when he said that most of his customers would NOT enjoy a more predominant smoke to the products.

Bobby Q's
    1279 N Rand Rd
    Arlington Heights, IL 60004
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #2 - June 5th, 2004, 10:46 pm
    Post #2 - June 5th, 2004, 10:46 pm Post #2 - June 5th, 2004, 10:46 pm
    Willie,
    Thanks for trying it out. I've been wanting to go in there as it's across from my son's high school, but son #2 doesn't like BBQ (fool!). It sounds like the brisket or pork is Ok, just not great, eh?

That same neighborhood has better chow anyway: Yummy Gourmet has great chinese, Nikko's and Luke's are worth dog places. I've got to try the Japanese place that opened next to the bike shop on Rand.

Joel
  • Post #3 - June 6th, 2004, 9:08 am
    Post #3 - June 6th, 2004, 9:08 am Post #3 - June 6th, 2004, 9:08 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:He was honest and said he does not
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - June 7th, 2004, 9:00 am
    Post #4 - June 7th, 2004, 9:00 am Post #4 - June 7th, 2004, 9:00 am
    JoelF wrote:I've got to try the Japanese place that opened next to the bike shop on Rand.

Joel

Hey Joel,

My wife and I went once to the place you mention awhile back. It was good, I don't remember anything standing out though.

Willie
  • Post #5 - June 7th, 2004, 9:03 am
    Post #5 - June 7th, 2004, 9:03 am Post #5 - June 7th, 2004, 9:03 am
    stevez wrote:How dioes he know that? Did he used to more heavily smoke his meats and people complained? Has he been opened long enough to have experimented? Enquiring minds want to know.

I can only assume that he has received complaints.

He mentioned his Memphis pork was voted highly by City Search.

I would like to suggest to him that he really smoke some ribs like he would like, then serve a couple alongside the normal stuff and conduct taste tests. But then again, I'm not running the biz.
  • Post #6 - February 16th, 2005, 9:05 am
    Post #6 - February 16th, 2005, 9:05 am Post #6 - February 16th, 2005, 9:05 am
    went there a few weeks ago for the first time..food seemed ok..brisket had a nice smoke ring ..sliced a little too thin for me but at least it was sliced..but i agree not enough smoke flavor
    anyway fries, an edible brisket sandwich and a coke for 5 bucks seemd ok

went back yesterday and the brisket was just swimming in sauce and looked like it was pulled..not sliced
    why do these places insist on adding so much sauce to stuff? This was literally a brisket sloppy joe . This was the most mediocre bbq ive ever
    had..the firt time was ok but this time it was way downhill

I cant see why they get the high ratings they have gotten in the last year
  • Post #7 - February 16th, 2005, 9:08 am
    Post #7 - February 16th, 2005, 9:08 am Post #7 - February 16th, 2005, 9:08 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Tried it again today, had a three meat platter consisting of brisket, pork and I said links just for kicks (my own I guess) as the word links was not known by the waitstaff, so I said
  • Post #8 - March 24th, 2008, 10:28 am
    Post #8 - March 24th, 2008, 10:28 am Post #8 - March 24th, 2008, 10:28 am
    deke rivers wrote:...the brisket was just swimming in sauce and looked like it was pulled..not sliced
    why do these places insist on adding so much sauce to stuff? This was literally a brisket sloppy joe . This was the most mediocre bbq ive ever
    had..

I went there on Saturday 3/22 because it was close to the house and I really wasnt in the mood to travel the distance to my usual spot, Uncle Bubs.

I had the two meat combo(pulled pork and brisket) with red beans and rice and mac and cheese. My date had the rib and crabcake combo with mac and cheese and BBQ beans. We both started off with the peel and eat garlic shrimp.

Shrimp was great and was anticipating the main course.

...then we were let down.

Both pulled pork and chopped brisket were oversauced so bad I couldnt tell which meat was which at first and almost tasted like the other. The sauces (including the sauce they used for the beans) had too much vinegar. The spicy cajun sauce was sweet and didnt even had any "bite" to it. The St Louis ribs had no smoke to them. The crab cakes was good. I let the mac and cheese slide because I know alot of people dont like mac and cheese like I like it, with super sharp cheddar.

Is it me or does it seem that alot of the BBQ places in the northern/northwestern burbs oversauce their meat? This is the second place (Hecky's being the first) that drown the meat were you cant taste the meat.

I normally go back and give a place a second shot....but I was sadly disapointed in this place and will not go back.
    Dirty Duck Inn - feeding the villagers of the Bristol Ren Faire since 1574
    If making Chilaquiles with fried chicken skins is wrong, then I dont want to be right!!
  • Post #9 - March 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm
    Post #9 - March 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm Post #9 - March 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm
    I went there awhile ago and it was very good. brisket was good.. and sliced too ..not cubed or shredded like a lot of pseudo bbq places do
    then it closed for quite awhile and since it re-opened it hasnt been the same..not sure if its the same people running it or not..seem to go down a bit in quality..everything drowned in sauce..etc...
    I was told by someone there as well that they dont smoke the meat too much cuz people dont like the smoke flavor..not sure what they meant by that and I didnt pursue it...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more