LTH Home

El Gallito brand Salsa de Chile Manzano

El Gallito brand Salsa de Chile Manzano
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • El Gallito brand Salsa de Chile Manzano

Post #1 - December 19th, 2004, 2:09 pm
    Post #1 - December 19th, 2004, 2:09 pm Post #1 - December 19th, 2004, 2:09 pm
    The other day while I was shopping at Morelia, I happened upon a hot sauce I hadn't tried before - El Gallito's manzano chile salsa. it immediately drew my attention with it's chunky looks and bits of black flecks (parts of roasted chiles or dried chiles) anyway, I brought some home, and I really really like it.

It's similar to the carribean hot sauces with carrot and usually habanero/scotch bonnets. Anyone else tried?
  • Post #2 - December 20th, 2004, 8:44 am
    Post #2 - December 20th, 2004, 8:44 am Post #2 - December 20th, 2004, 8:44 am
    Zim, speak of the devil. I just was eating some on an Italian beef last evening (Teddy's in Darien, really very good also, better than it used to be). Nice sauce with a carrot and chile base. The other stuff from that brand (Gallito) is usually very good. I guessed that it was from the Yucatan, based on the Carribean qualities, but I don't know. Anyone out there familiar with the regional origin of this salsa?

PS, I bought it at Westbrook Market, Cass & 63d. As I mentioned before, an outstanding multi-ethnic market that has arrangements with both Caputo's and Bobak's and maybe the most extensive produce section of any one store in Chicagoland.
  • Post #3 - December 21st, 2004, 2:47 pm
    Post #3 - December 21st, 2004, 2:47 pm Post #3 - December 21st, 2004, 2:47 pm
    Jeff,

I was guessing yucatan as well, though I can't tell from the bottle - they're distributed by an outfit in chicago - la bodega. What other of their sauces have you tried? I had my eye on the red habanero one as well.
  • Post #4 - December 21st, 2004, 4:46 pm
    Post #4 - December 21st, 2004, 4:46 pm Post #4 - December 21st, 2004, 4:46 pm
    Hi Zim,

I found mention of this chile in Nancy Zaslavsky's A Cook's Tour of Mexico, p. 9:
    Peron. A.k.a manzano and rocoto chile. Looks like a cross between a yellow bell pepper and golden habanero. Medium to hot and at its peak of popularity in Michoacan. It has black seeds and the flower is purple. Fruity flavor with a thin flesh.

Further on (p. 99), in the Michoacan chapter, she gives a recipe for a salsa with this chile. The other ingredients are orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, and chopped onion. Suggested with tacos of roasted chicken and slices of avocado.
  • Post #5 - December 21st, 2004, 9:21 pm
    Post #5 - December 21st, 2004, 9:21 pm Post #5 - December 21st, 2004, 9:21 pm
    my coworker loves chili manzano sliced thinly with onion (also thinly sliced) and marinated in lemon juice and salt. We eat it at work as a garnish on meats and sometimes with ceviche. Manzano has a great heat, breathtaking, but does not stay on the palate as long as jalapeno when cut with the lemon juice. I grew manzanos this summer accidentally and they came up late, small, and fiercely hot. Fresh manzano is among my favorite chilis.
  • Post #6 - December 22nd, 2004, 12:43 pm
    Post #6 - December 22nd, 2004, 12:43 pm Post #6 - December 22nd, 2004, 12:43 pm
    Zim, my in-laws get a ripe red jalapeno salsa, I believe from Gallito, that is really good. It appears to contain nothing except for bright red jalapeno and salt. Again, as far as I know they get the stuff at Westbrook in Downers Grove.
  • Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 11:41 am
    Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 11:41 am Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 11:41 am
    zim wrote:The other day while I was shopping at Morelia, I happened upon a hot sauce I hadn't tried before - El Gallito's manzano chile salsa. it immediately drew my attention with it's chunky looks and bits of black flecks (parts of roasted chiles or dried chiles) anyway, I brought some home, and I really really like it.

It's similar to the carribean hot sauces with carrot and usually habanero/scotch bonnets. Anyone else tried?

so my source for this sauce and my supply have run out - has anyone seen this closer to evanston than westbrook market?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more