LTH Home

Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest

Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest

Post #1 - April 16th, 2005, 5:06 pm
    Post #1 - April 16th, 2005, 5:06 pm Post #1 - April 16th, 2005, 5:06 pm
    Always on the lookout for things to do with the kids on the weekend, today we found the Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest, an event which, it was said, would be devoted to sustainable agriculture, family farming and such concerns of concern to the perpetually concerned community of Rogers Park. One woman, at least, was so overcome by concern that she had to have an emergency healing session with a trained didgeridoo player:

In the event, what we found was a rather small gathering of tables featuring a number of familiar faces from the farmers' markets and so on. On the plus side, the event was a chance to buy a new jar of Chicago Honey Co-op honey, pick up flyers from a couple of CSAs, discover a new employee-owned bakery with the not entirely appetizing name of Bleeding Heart Bakery* (but very nice looking desserts-- I especially liked the look of strawberries in rose jelly), and so on.

* No website yet, but you can email them at the just too, too perfect address "pastryforpeace@hotmail.com." While I'm making fun, the even more hilariously named Soda Justice was, alas, a no-show so far as I could see.

On the minus side, it wouldn't be a left-leaning event if the slightest hint of pleasure and fun wasn't immediately put a stop to and the speechifying begun. Sure enough, as we arrived right at noon, the music (by "Liberals in Cowboy Boots") came to a halt and we were treated to an anti-Walmart harangue by a natural pork producer. Ironically, the table most directly opposite the stage was occupied by a vegan organization with brochures loudly declaring, in the best orthodoxy-enforcing tradition of the left, that You Can't Eat Meat And Save the Planet At the Same Time, or something like that. I'm sure they enjoyed a front row seat for hearing how he raises his hogs naturally for slaughter; given the hostility they must have felt, there may well have been a CSAs vs. Vegans rumble later in the afternoon.

A moment later, our collective gullet was pried open, and we were forcefed an appearance by Alderman Joe "Phooey Gras" Moore, who loudly took credit for the foie gras ban now in the works, and was rewarded with the cheers of all of 20 or 30 voters, as well as the boos of one guy and his two kids who were, however, by that point watching the skateboarders some yards away. Our best bet for not having to hear any more was the drum circle, and we spent a few minutes watching the raucous drumming, some of it performed by people dressed as foods, though it was hard to tell precisely what their political positions on such foods were. I'm pretty sure that the man dressed as a giant strawberry was pro-strawberry (but probably anti-Walmart strawberry), but hard to say if the extremely tall tuba-playing steer was a pro-grassfeeding steer or anti-meat-eating one. (Fact is, if I'd gone up to him it's unlikely I could have gotten the question out before quoting the line from Raising Arizona, "Son, you got a panty on your head.")

About ten minutes later, we had a burning need for a cheeseburger and fries, and soon found ourselves at Bill's. The Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest, I fear, suffers from a built-in contradiction, where the pleasures of food, the delights of eating and the noble work of raising it, run headlong into the impulses of dietary correctness, which seek to make sure you know that no matter what you're eating, you're harming yourself and the planet somehow. It will be interesting to see who wins out over the years to come; and how they react to my application for a table as a small urban sustainable employee-owned family foie gras co-op.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - April 16th, 2005, 6:56 pm
    Post #2 - April 16th, 2005, 6:56 pm Post #2 - April 16th, 2005, 6:56 pm
    where did you find this information?

I live in Rogers park and never really find stuff to do around here so I find myself going downtown a lot. Right now I'm only aware of a few places for good food around here too.
  • Post #3 - April 16th, 2005, 7:06 pm
    Post #3 - April 16th, 2005, 7:06 pm Post #3 - April 16th, 2005, 7:06 pm
    Actually every week I check Metromix's event listings-- 97% will be concerts but you never know what interesting events around the city you might find hidden in there. (I realize that answer doesn't entirely solve the question of how to find things to do specifically in Rogers Park.) A few weeks ago we discovered Reptile Fest, an event where members of the Illinois Herpetological Society show off their reptiles in a gym at UIC. My boys LOVED it.

Crain's also has a 10-things-to-do-this-weekend feature which is worth checking each week, too.

Metromix events.

Crain's; look for "10 Things" link on homepage.
  • Post #4 - April 16th, 2005, 7:19 pm
    Post #4 - April 16th, 2005, 7:19 pm Post #4 - April 16th, 2005, 7:19 pm
    Mike G wrote:Metromix events.

Mike,

Thank you so much for posting this link. To think I may have missed Cher performing with the Village People at the United Center tonight.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - April 16th, 2005, 8:04 pm
    Post #5 - April 16th, 2005, 8:04 pm Post #5 - April 16th, 2005, 8:04 pm
    Thanks for an entertaining read, Mike. After reading your account and then viewing the priceless pictures I was instantly reminded of a line from one of my favorite Fawlty Towers episodes where, amid a level of chaos that was perhaps the high water mark for Fawlty, the one German tourist turned to another and asked "However did they win the war?"
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #6 - April 19th, 2005, 1:45 pm
    Post #6 - April 19th, 2005, 1:45 pm Post #6 - April 19th, 2005, 1:45 pm
    On the minus side, it wouldn't be a left-leaning event if the slightest hint of pleasure and fun wasn't immediately put a stop to

Whereas the right encourages all forms of pleasure and fun, right?
    :shock:
  • Post #7 - April 19th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    Post #7 - April 19th, 2005, 4:38 pm Post #7 - April 19th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    I find that humorless devotion is one of a few traits held in common between the members of the far left and far right. A sense of humor or an aesthetic sense requires, among other things, taking delight in being surprised by the unexpected, rather than hating or fearing it. This includes liking things that are different or unpredictable (and out of your control) not just despite such difference or unpredictability, but BECAUSE of it. Folks with "extreme life positions" don't tend to have that flexible attitude toward any part of life and therefore (at least stereotypically) are very rigid thinkers and doers. I don't think anyone who posts at LTH falls into either camp, or none of us would be spending so much time on Chicken Vesuvio threads and the like that keep us from implementing comprehensive plans for world peace (or domination). I do think that one interesting trait of the left-leaning is that they recognize they "ought to" have a sense of humor that they lack; but then they don't have the good sense to not try being funny when they should know they are doomed to fail (e.g., the Capitol Steps, most other humor on NPR besides David Sedaris, etc.). While this bunch in Rogers Park isn't doing much for the reputation of the left regarding sense of humor or aesthetic appreciation ... at least they appear harmless (although if I heard the music they were playing, I might change my mind).

JiLS -- An "Aristocrat" ... but not swinging too far to the right, either.
  • Post #8 - April 19th, 2005, 5:40 pm
    Post #8 - April 19th, 2005, 5:40 pm Post #8 - April 19th, 2005, 5:40 pm
    I find that humorless devotion is one of a few traits held in common between the members of the far left and far right.

Well, even a cursory study of the 30s Old Left, the 60s New Left or the Fair Trade activists of today will reveal that a lot of these people were/are not only wildly creative, but incredibly funny, too. The idea that leftists are sterile robots devoid of human feeling is an inaccurate stereotype that has its roots in the 1930s and 1940s New York Intellectual critique of American communists and their alleged mindless subservience to Stalinist orthodoxy. Over the past 70 years, this stereotype has evolved and been attached to many different "leftist" groups. Of course, at the same time that the mainstream media chastises the left for its humorless sterility, it has simultaneously disseminated a contradictory stereotype of leftists as pot-smoking hippie hedonists incapable of engaging seriously with the "real world". Documentary evidence reveals both views to be shallow and inaccurate. This isn't to say that there aren't humorless activists on the left. But to categorically dismiss "the left" as humorless, sterile, predictable, etc. would be a mistake.

As for people on the far right, I would again have to disagree with your statement above--their distortions of historical and scientific fact are very creative and pretty funny. :D
  • Post #9 - April 19th, 2005, 6:42 pm
    Post #9 - April 19th, 2005, 6:42 pm Post #9 - April 19th, 2005, 6:42 pm
    Perhaps this thread should be moseying on over to the Non-Food Chat section...no offense meant.

:twisted:
  • Post #10 - April 19th, 2005, 6:57 pm
    Post #10 - April 19th, 2005, 6:57 pm Post #10 - April 19th, 2005, 6:57 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:Perhaps this thread should be moseying on over to the Non-Food Chat section

Peg,

I agree with your sentiment, as the thread seems to be drifting into the realm of politics, at which point it will be locked.

LTHForum Posting Guidelines

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #11 - April 20th, 2005, 10:57 pm
    Post #11 - April 20th, 2005, 10:57 pm Post #11 - April 20th, 2005, 10:57 pm
    In that case does anyone have any must try places in Rogers Park??
  • Post #12 - April 21st, 2005, 10:00 am
    Post #12 - April 21st, 2005, 10:00 am Post #12 - April 21st, 2005, 10:00 am
    gtron wrote:In that case does anyone have any must try places in Rogers Park??

La Cazuela Mariscos
    6922 N. Clark St.

Taste of Peru
    6545 N. Clark St.
    (note that the signage has changed to "Peruvian Cuisine")

La Cucina di Donatella
    2221 W. Howard St.

And, the Candlelite pizza has gotten raves here, but I haven't tried it.
  • Post #13 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:20 am
    Post #13 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:20 am Post #13 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:20 am
    thanks!
  • Post #14 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:40 am
    Post #14 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:40 am Post #14 - April 23rd, 2005, 6:40 am
    nr706 wrote:And, the Candlelite pizza has gotten raves here, but I haven't tried it.
    NR706,

Count me among Candlelite's fans. Great pizza, try my new favorite of sausage, onion, jalapeno and garlic, and crisp Garlic fries.

I'd also add to your list the recently opened Las Islas Marias . Quite wonderful Mexican seafood.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - April 26th, 2005, 9:33 am
    Post #15 - April 26th, 2005, 9:33 am Post #15 - April 26th, 2005, 9:33 am
    well, I don't know about "must eats" but there's a lot of good eats. here's a few more from Rogers Park, rather than West Rogers Park

Brunch: A&T Grill
    7036 N. Clark
    (773) 274-0036

old style family restaurant with a few greek touches and nods to the community

Flower's Pot Belizean
    7328 N. Clark
    (773) 761-4388

They can be uneven, but when the oxtail is on it is on

Romanian Kosher Sausage
    7200 N Clark

corn beef

Caribbean American Baking Co.
    1539 W Howard
    (773) 761-0700

folks like their patties, I'm partial to the coconut cookies

La Monarca Paleteria
    6955 N. Clark
    (773) 274-6394

pretty good ices, I always love the arroz con leche and coconut leche bars

El Llano-Rogers Pk
    7018 N. Clark St.
    773-338-0531

very similar to brasa roja, which has been mentioned quite a few times

Cafe Suron
    1146 W. Pratt
    (773) 465-6500

as I've said before the atmosphere is a little nicer and the food a little less expensive than it could be for what you get

La Cazuela
    6922 N. Clark
    (773) 338-5425

tostadas de ceviche & pulpo

Quesadillas Doña Lolis
    6924 N Clark
    (773) 761-5677

I like the huaraches and gorditas

Supermercado y Taqueria Chapala
    7117 N Clark
    (773) 465-3907

probably my favorite taco in Rogers Park, served with grilled cebollitas and jalapenos

Supermercado Morelia

I like the moronga in the deli case, also the shrimp ceviche, and the guacamole is a very good value, while you're there pick up some el gallito salsa de chile manzano

Tamale/Atole Vendor·
    Clark & Pratt

Tamale vendor - howard st.
    Bus Side Early Afternoon

Taq los molcajetes
    6619 N. Clark
    773-465-5506

nice table salsas, handmade tortillas, decent tortas

Uptown taqueria
    7027 N. Clark
    (773) 973-0106

tacos de chivo

taq mi pueblo
    ridge & touhy

tamales de cinitza(sp?) on weekends, I prefer them for takeout

pitas etc
    ridge just south of howard
    RST pick for simple albanian food, breads

Taq Chorritos
    6404 N. Clark
    (773) 381-0902

corundas, tacos de pata, tepache
  • Post #16 - April 26th, 2005, 9:47 am
    Post #16 - April 26th, 2005, 9:47 am Post #16 - April 26th, 2005, 9:47 am
    I should mention that the list above isn't by any means all-inclusive, anyway Mike G, if you want a better taste of Rogers Park to go to with the kiddies you should check out the Rogers Park community day parade in the fall

Its usually great. They always have some group from the World music festival participating and it's a blast. Last year (or was it the year before?) it was the gangbe brass band from benin and it was some racous booty shaking good time.
  • Post #17 - April 26th, 2005, 11:04 am
    Post #17 - April 26th, 2005, 11:04 am Post #17 - April 26th, 2005, 11:04 am
    Yeah, as your great list suggests, there's tremendous diversity and food interest in that area, and I guess in retrospect that was one of the things that was disappointing about that event, it was much more about bringing in outside groups who shared its general anti-whatever agenda than it was in reaching out to, or even being aware of, the rich and wonderful neighborhood it was supposedly touting. (I think Indian Garden was the lone token representative of Rogers Park at the Rogers Park NeighborFood Fest.) A missed opportunity, that.
  • Post #18 - February 25th, 2006, 11:55 am
    Post #18 - February 25th, 2006, 11:55 am Post #18 - February 25th, 2006, 11:55 am
    Reptilefest, referenced briefly above, is only a few weeks away:

http://www.chicagoherp.org/fest/main.htm

April 8-9, at UIC
  • Post #19 - February 25th, 2006, 2:25 pm
    Post #19 - February 25th, 2006, 2:25 pm Post #19 - February 25th, 2006, 2:25 pm
    Mike, before I firm up my plans for the UIC event, will those be left-leaning reptiles, or right-leaning reptiles?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more