LTH Home

Decorate your home the LTHForum way!

Decorate your home the LTHForum way!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Decorate your home the LTHForum way!

Post #1 - May 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm
    Post #1 - May 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm Post #1 - May 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm
    For some time I'd contemplated the idea of printing and framing some of my nicer food photos. It took the prospect of guests at 7 pm tonight to get me motivated toward selecting a few, printing them out and hitting my local art supply store to acquire the frames, then standing on a ladder with a hammer and tape measure while my wife called out higher or lower. (The space I wanted to fill is the wall over our kitchen table. Which means I needed photos you could read from several feet away.)

It took a couple of hours, luckily I had already culled my more recent photos down to the most artistic of the bunch here, but by lunchtime we had this:

The hard part was deciding which photos were appetizing yet unlikely to gross you out at times when you really didn't want to be staring at hot fat glistening off the separated hunks of a brisket. Barbecue, hamburgers, pizza and sushi were all out as things that could kind of gross people out in the wrong circumstances. I settled mostly on pictures of whole ingredients, not of finished dishes, though as you'll see, somehow lower invertebrate dishes seemed okay. The pictures from left to right are:

Bread from D'Amato's.

Mussels from May Street Market just two days earlier, in a green wooden frame which sets them off very nicely.

Heirloom cucumbers from Evanston Farmer's Market.

Calamari from Calo, in a maroon frame which totally rocks their octopod world.

Now my home truly has Ltheng shui.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - May 7th, 2006, 1:42 am
    Post #2 - May 7th, 2006, 1:42 am Post #2 - May 7th, 2006, 1:42 am
    Great photos, Mike, and a great idea. But ... much as I love squid, I have to say those tentacles would give me pause first thing in the morning, or stumbling out of bed to get a drink in the middle of the night.
  • Post #3 - May 7th, 2006, 6:36 am
    Post #3 - May 7th, 2006, 6:36 am Post #3 - May 7th, 2006, 6:36 am
    Fortunately, they're not in the path between bed and liquor cabinet... maybe because they're up high, it's not as weird as it seems like it should be.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #4 - May 7th, 2006, 12:19 pm
    Post #4 - May 7th, 2006, 12:19 pm Post #4 - May 7th, 2006, 12:19 pm
    Mike G wrote:Fortunately, they're not in the path between bed and liquor cabinet...

Mike,

Nothing there but a well worn path. :)

Nice pictures, great idea. I may just follow suit.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - May 10th, 2006, 11:11 am
    Post #5 - May 10th, 2006, 11:11 am Post #5 - May 10th, 2006, 11:11 am
    Mike G wrote:Fortunately, they're not in the path between bed and liquor cabinet...

G Wiv wrote:Nothing there but a well worn path. :)

What lives you lead! When I get out of bed to get something to drink, it's usually water.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more