LTH Home

GG's Chicken Shop by Boka and Chef Lee Wolen

GG's Chicken Shop by Boka and Chef Lee Wolen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • GG's Chicken Shop by Boka and Chef Lee Wolen

Post #1 - November 15th, 2020, 9:15 am
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2020, 9:15 am Post #1 - November 15th, 2020, 9:15 am
    Originally planned as a joint venture between Boka Chef Lee Wolen and the Boka Restaurant Group as a stand in the now-defunct Revival Food Hall, GG's Chicken Shop operates directly out of Boka's kitchen. The focused menu consists of rotisserie chickens sold by the half and whole, a couple of chicken sandwiches (fried and salad), a cauliflower sandwich, a couple of salads (with optional chicken additions), a handful of sides and a couple desserts and drinks.

I've only tried the fried chicken sandwich, but that item alone is worth a trip. The sandwich, built and served like a regular fried chicken sandwich, is exactly what you'd expect from a chef of Wolen's caliber who felt no need to reinvent anything, but instead just do a better version of what's already out there.

Juicy chicken flawlessly fried in a crunchy and lightish breading, served with spicy mayo, some cabbage, and a bed of bread & butter pickles, all on a toasted bun. By only nit to pick is that I'd like a little more kick than the spicy mayo provides, but that's easily remedied with some hot sauce.

GG's Chicken Shop
    inside Boka
    1729 N. Halsted Street
    (312) 337-6070
    ggchickenshop.com
  • Post #2 - December 6th, 2021, 4:55 pm
    Post #2 - December 6th, 2021, 4:55 pm Post #2 - December 6th, 2021, 4:55 pm
    Opening in former Southport Lanes Building = https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/12/06 ... -building/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 3:52 pm
    Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 3:52 pm Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 3:52 pm
    Opening on the 28th. https://flip.it/zTFUGY
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - August 2nd, 2023, 9:14 pm
    Post #4 - August 2nd, 2023, 9:14 pm Post #4 - August 2nd, 2023, 9:14 pm
    tried this today and it was really very good. the chicken ranch sandwich was remarkably crispy! juicy on the inside, and well complemented by herby ranch, dill pickles, and slaw. (might have tried the spicier one but its default is bread-n-butter pickles, which, gross.)

i also happened to have the parsons sandwich this week (which i have semi-regularly) - and probably GGs is the winner, just texturally. side of waffle fries were very crispy and savory (though i think still inferior to normal fries). friendly staff at the counter and nice outdoor seating. it's not my regular neighborhood but would good back happily.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more