LTH Home

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 26 of 26 
  • Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Outstanding cold szechuan noodles and dan dan noodles from the Westmont location today. As good as ever. I also tried stir fry beef noodles, which was fine. The noodles themselves were, of course, great. The flavors were good not great, and there was too much oil.

    I did learn a couple of nuggets. First, while I assumed the the Oak Park location was now back to being an offshoot of the original given that they share a website, the person I spoke with in Westmont confirmed that Oak Park is a franchise and not run by the same chef. Second, and this is a bummer, after yet another failed attempt to get the incredible cold beef tendon dish (ma la niu jin) that used to be a fixture in the cooler, I asked if it was ever coming back. I was told that the chef who made it retired a couple of years ago and nobody there can pull it off. Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
  • Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am
    Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?

    Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
  • Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am
    Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am
    cilantro wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
    Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

    Edit: After looking up the Chinese word, it doesn't appear different from the dish Szechuan JMC does best, IMO.
  • Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am
    Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
    Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

    Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

    Here's a random image I found online:

    Image
  • Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am
    cilantro wrote:Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

    Here's a random image I found online
    That's the same image I saw at the top of the results. I guess I just recall more of that in the JMC version. I love the chewiness of it and the tripe.
  • Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm
    Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:. . . Second, and this is a bummer, after yet another failed attempt to get the incredible cold beef tendon dish (ma la niu jin) that used to be a fixture in the cooler, I asked if it was ever coming back. I was told that the chef who made it retired a couple of years ago and nobody there can pull it off. Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?

    I agree that the analogous version at JMC -- heavy on peanuts and celery -- is excellent . . .

    Image
    Ox Tendon & Maw in Chili Sauce at Szechuan JMC Kitchen (20.0313)

    I also had a solid version at Lao Sze Chuan in Highland Park last month. Recent reports about consistency at the various LSC are all over the place -- and with good reason -- so, proceed with caution. Our meal there was filled with misses but the cold beef and tendon was among the better dishes we had.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
    Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

    Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

    This is definitely what I'm looking for. Nothing but well spiced thin cut tendon that can melt into a bowl of hot rice. Thanks for the Asian Bistro tip.
  • Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    While I've been in Chicago regularly lately, I hadn't had a chance to get over to Katy's for about a year. The proprietress remembered me, which I shall take to be a positive about me since she engaged me in conversation while I was waiting for my standard "pork fried noodle a little spicy" order. She assured me that business has continued to be solid in the year since I had been there.

    The aforementioned retired older gentleman cook made the noodles a little better, but this is still an amazing dish which I have considerable trouble finding anywhere near the same quality out of state.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm
    Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
    Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

    Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

    This is definitely what I'm looking for. Nothing but well spiced thin cut tendon that can melt into a bowl of hot rice. Thanks for the Asian Bistro tip.


    While not as good, one of the stalls at the International Mall Food Court in Westmont had a decent version. Convenience won out as it's right down the street from Katy's.
  • Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm
    Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm
    threadkiller wrote:While I've been in Chicago regularly lately, I hadn't had a chance to get over to Katy's for about a year. The proprietress remembered me, which I shall take to be a positive about me since she engaged me in conversation while I was waiting for my standard "pork fried noodle a little spicy" order. She assured me that business has continued to be solid in the year since I had been there..


    Good to know they're still putting out good stuff...I haven't been in a year - the last couple of times it wasn't quite as awesomely mala-y as it had been in the past. Hope to check in our again soon...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more