LTH Home

Pescadero — Seafood in Wilmette

Pescadero — Seafood in Wilmette
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Pescadero — Seafood in Wilmette

Post #1 - June 19th, 2019, 9:32 pm
    Post #1 - June 19th, 2019, 9:32 pm Post #1 - June 19th, 2019, 9:32 pm
    Monday night, Moetchandon and I made a trip up to Wilmette, to try Pescadero, that village's new (since late 2018) seafood joint. It was a mixed bag, at best.

The ceviche we started with was comparable to most versions I've had at the Mexican places in Rogers Park on North Clark St — slightly nicer presentation, but more expensive and a smaller portion.
    PescaCeviche.jpg Ceviche

Our main order was Ahi Tuna — two good pieces of perfectly seared tuna, in a salty, heavily soy-based sauce. Wasabi potatoes and bok choy were both okay.
    PescaTuna.jpg Ahi Tuna

We also had a side of risotto with roasted spring vegetables. The "spring vegetables" were peas, corn and diced carrots. Maybe someone whispered the word "roast" over the veggies, because they certainly didn't get any closer to a roasting than that. (No picture, sorry.)

Service was, frankly, abysmal. After we'd finished our wine (Chenin Blanc, our second choice, since they were out of Muscadet), and had said we didn't need dessert, we waited 30 minutes before we got a bill, despite trying, ineffectually, to to get our server's attention, without being obnoxious about it. After putting down our credit card, it was another 15 minutes before we could flag down a food runner to process the card. Earlier, the promised wine chiller never arrived.

Perhaps some of the missteps could be attributed to the excessive noise level. I have the SoundPrint app on my phone, and it registered the average sound level at 85 decibels — enough to damage hearing over a few hours.

Pescadero sounded good on paper (screen?) I doubt we'll be back.

1167 Wilmette Ave
    Wilmette, IL 60091
    (224) 215-3011
  • Post #2 - June 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm
    Post #2 - June 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm Post #2 - June 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm
    We had just noticed the existence of this place and were cogitating. I'm sorry you had to take one for the team but we are grateful for the report. Disappointed, but grateful.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #3 - June 24th, 2019, 10:13 am
    Post #3 - June 24th, 2019, 10:13 am Post #3 - June 24th, 2019, 10:13 am
    Two of my friends and I had dinner at Pescadero last Thursday evening and we had a really nice experience. We arrived at 6:00 and were seated promptly. The decor is very casual-and very light and bright. We were seated at a high top, which isn't my favorite table, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Our server came over right away and we ordered a bottle of wine which was reasonable-34.00 for a white bordeaux, perfect for seafood.
    We ordered the crab cakes to share as an appetizer and were served two with a corn salsa and a red pepper (?) sauce which was a little spicy and good. We all tried different entrees which were priced reasonably for seafood. I had the grilled halibut with a beurre blanc sauce and grilled asparagus (28.00), my friends had the salmon and the mussels. All were very fresh and delicious. We were too full for dessert.
    By 6:30 the restaurant was packed and there was a waiting list. They do not take reservations. As we were leaving at 8:15, people were still coming in for dinner/drinks. Pescadero is a great addition to Wilmette and I would certainly go back.
  • Post #4 - June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm
    Post #4 - June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm Post #4 - June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm
  • Post #5 - June 16th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Post #5 - June 16th, 2021, 8:08 am Post #5 - June 16th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Wilmette-based Pescadero Seafood & Oyster Bar is slated to open on Friday, June 18 at 1258 W. Belmont Ave.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2021/6/3/2249 ... ttractions
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #6 - June 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm
    Post #6 - June 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm Post #6 - June 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm
    I hope they've done some noise abatement in the former Fahlstrom's.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #7 - April 18th, 2022, 2:04 pm
    Post #7 - April 18th, 2022, 2:04 pm Post #7 - April 18th, 2022, 2:04 pm
    Today the LTH Evanston Lunch Group™ had lunch at Pescadero, and everything was very good indeed.

Exterior:
    Here's what we ordered:

RHODE ISLAND CALAMARI - Banana Peppers, Scallions, Lemon Garlic Butter
    LOBSTER SLIDERS - Maine Salad, Toasted Hawaiian Rolls, Shredded Romaine
    ICEBERG WEDGE - Heirloom Tomatoes, Red Onion, Smoked Pepper Bacon, Creamy Bleu Cheese, Optional Shrimp
    FISH N' CHIPS - Icelandic Cod, Tartar Sauce, Traditional Slaw, Parmesan Fries
    MUSSELS FRITES - 1 lb PEI Mussels, Shallots, Homemade Beer Broth, Garlic, Parmesan Fries
    The restaurant was also extremely helpful in permitting us to bring and serve dessert from Bennison's:
  • Post #8 - April 18th, 2022, 3:36 pm
    Post #8 - April 18th, 2022, 3:36 pm Post #8 - April 18th, 2022, 3:36 pm
    My favorite was the calamari - the accompanying peppers were outstanding and great accompaniments.

Everything was very good. I would also call out the parmesean fries that were served with the fish and chips ( I think - or maybe with the mussels )

And, of course, we all thank Ken for bringing his own birthday cake. The restaurant was very accommodating in serving it.

Tom mentioned that the restaurant was exceedingly loud the night that they were there. I can see that. Ceiling are high and there is no sound deadening. This is a long time trend in restaurants that I hate.
  • Post #9 - April 18th, 2022, 6:42 pm
    Post #9 - April 18th, 2022, 6:42 pm Post #9 - April 18th, 2022, 6:42 pm
    A good time. Major improvement over our first visit, at the top of this thread.
  • Post #10 - April 19th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Post #10 - April 19th, 2022, 9:35 pm Post #10 - April 19th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Was Ken's cake a Swedish Princess cake? Looks very good!

Happy Birthday!

CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #11 - April 20th, 2022, 7:54 am
    Post #11 - April 20th, 2022, 7:54 am Post #11 - April 20th, 2022, 7:54 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Was Ken's cake a Swedish Princess cake? Looks very good!

Happy Birthday!

Yes, from Bennison's, where they are available only by special order. Levinson's also has them but is closed this week for Passover.

Thanks!
  • Post #12 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:31 am
    Post #12 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:31 am Post #12 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:31 am
    Glad to hear the place is good. Mild tangent: I hope the Lakeview location is doing well. We've been to very few places since March 2020--just starting to come out of our hole now; Pescadero Lakeview is a place we certainly would have visited if we'd gone anywhere, but I have no knowledge of how their business has been, and I want to see them succeed in the Lakeview location.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #13 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am
    Post #13 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am Post #13 - April 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am
    I have visited the Lakeview location twice since they opened and can only say that I wish my experience had been as positive as the one the group here had in Wilmette. We found the food to be mediocre and very overpriced for the quality. Service was indifferent at best.

I’ve consistently heard the same from others in the neighborhood, all of whom were excited to see them succeed. Afraid we won’t be back.
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #14 - April 22nd, 2022, 10:16 am
    Post #14 - April 22nd, 2022, 10:16 am Post #14 - April 22nd, 2022, 10:16 am
    bfolds wrote:I have visited the Lakeview location twice since they opened and can only say that I wish my experience had been as positive as the one the group here had in Wilmette. We found the food to be mediocre and very overpriced for the quality. Service was indifferent at best.

I’ve consistently heard the same from others in the neighborhood, all of whom were excited to see them succeed. Afraid we won’t be back.

Miss Fahlstrom's in that spot. Fish Bar ain't what it used to be either, oh well.
  • Post #15 - May 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm
    Post #15 - May 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm Post #15 - May 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm
    Just wanted to mention that we had an excellent dinner here (Wilmette location) on Monday night. I LOVED my wood roasted Chilean sea bass, and the mussels were excellent too. Service was also excellent, attentive and friendly. Although the room (main bar/dining room) was somewhat loud, it was not oppressively so.

I unexpectedly went back again for lunch today. At lunchtime, they had lunch specials as well as the full dinner menu. The Chilean sea bass was so good on Monday, I had it again and loved it just as much. Service was again excellent, and they weren't very crowded so noise was not an issue at all.

It's also worth mentioning that they have a frequent diner program that is worthwhile, and it includes Evanston's equally-excellent brewpub, Double Clutch.
  • Post #16 - September 9th, 2023, 12:18 pm
    Post #16 - September 9th, 2023, 12:18 pm Post #16 - September 9th, 2023, 12:18 pm
    Nothing horrible but nothing great here, either. A lot of the food our group of 6 ordered was over-salted and some of it was overcooked (I'm looking at you, salmon). Again, not disastrous but nothing compelling either. Menu reads well but it didn't translate onto the plate very well. I'd say more about the food but based on our experience, I've now spent enough time and words on that.

From the outset, service felt pretty damned indifferent. We had a reservation, yet when we walked in, it was as if we totally surprised them. Instead of having a suitable 6-top ready for us, they pushed two 2-tops together, dragged a chair from another table to one end and let a bench on the other end serve as a 6th seat. So, 6 of us were crammed around enough table space for 4. I decided not to say anything about it and just go with the flow. However, the hard-blowing vent directly below one of our 2-tops, chilling our legs, didn't help matters. We asked if they could close it and were told no. We suggested placing one of their laminated menus over it and were obliged.

Once ordering, we felt rushed throughout. I don't think there was a single time our server came to the table without abruptly interrupting us. Six of us who don't get together often wanted to have a well-prepared meal and a relaxing evening. No one who worked at Pescardero seemed to have the same agenda. It felt like they just wanted to do the bare minimum and get the fuck out of there.

Back to our table situation, having never been before, I figured that in such a small space, the insufficient table we were provided was the best they could do for us and that our reservation didn't mean a whole lot to the house. However later, when I walked past the kitchen to visit the mens room, I noticed an entire second, half-empty room with plenty of room for a 6-top. Why they didn't just seat us back there is beyond me. Whatever the reason(s), it was almost certainly based on the fact that what they did provide was easier for them. That's fine, because what's easier for me is going somewhere else to eat in the future. Please, at least have the courtesy to pretend you're glad we chose your restaurant. Instead, we were repeatedly treated as if we were inconveniencing them by being there. Hospitality, this was not.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more