LTH Home

Steak House (interesting request)

Steak House (interesting request)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Steak House (interesting request)

Post #1 - June 16th, 2004, 6:37 pm
    Post #1 - June 16th, 2004, 6:37 pm Post #1 - June 16th, 2004, 6:37 pm
    LthForum,

A friend in Cincinnati emailed today asking about Chicago steakhouses. I thought the circumstances were interesting/unusual enough to post, along with my response. I wonder if the 'young fellow's' employer is hiring?

Actually, now that I think of it, I neglected the most obvious choice, Nine I'll email my friend in a few moments with an update.

Now this is cool, LthForum is so tuned in to Chicago food that one gets restaurant ideas simply from posting.

Enjoy,
    Gary

======x======

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 Ted H wrote:

Gary,

A young fellow that works for a friend of mine likes to impress his dates by flying them to a destination for dinner (probably something you and I would have never thought of......). They let him use one of the company planes. This Sunday, he would like to fly his date to Chicago for steak. Flying into Midway. Any recommendations that would be open on Sunday?

Ted

=======x========

Ted,

Send him to my house if he has that kind of do-re-mi, I'll trot out the good wine and grill couple of dry-aged beauties. Only cost him $500, hell I'll even sing for that kind of dough. <smile>

Seriously, it sounds as if Gibson's, the Rush Street location only, is tailor made for this fellow. High impact scene, beautiful people to look at and giant steaks. I might suggest Gene and Georgetti's, but it's possible he'll get the tourist treatment and hate the place.

I've always preferred the original Morton's, on State Street, but would still suggest Gibson's. Lately I have been saying my heart belongs to Morton's, but my palate to Smith and Wollensky. S&W is the only steak house in Chicago still serving dry-aged prime beef.

All of the steakhouses are open on Sunday.

Hope all is well.

Enjoy,
    Gary
  • Post #2 - June 17th, 2004, 10:08 am
    Post #2 - June 17th, 2004, 10:08 am Post #2 - June 17th, 2004, 10:08 am
    A few weeks ago I took my brother-in-law, father, and father-in-law to Keefer's to celebrate my brother-in-law's upcoming wedding. The steaks were just marvelous, all USDA prime, perfectly cooked, judiciously seasoned, and immensely flavorful. The room is quite open and bright, with large windows on two sides. Personally, I much preferred the atmosphere to that at Morton's on state, where I felt like I was eating in someone's dim basement rec room.
  • Post #3 - June 17th, 2004, 6:26 pm
    Post #3 - June 17th, 2004, 6:26 pm Post #3 - June 17th, 2004, 6:26 pm
    Given the circumstances (well-off young person impressing a young lady) I would eschew my normal steakhouse pref's and second the Nine suggestion. It's over the top and a hot spot - and serves good food despite that. I also do very much like Keefer's but it is a bit more reserved. I guess that's why I feel comfortable at Keefer's and not-so at Nine - but I'm old :lol: . I'd imagine the "young fellow" and his date would enjoy the vibe at Nine more so than that of Keefer's.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #4 - June 18th, 2004, 12:30 am
    Post #4 - June 18th, 2004, 12:30 am Post #4 - June 18th, 2004, 12:30 am
    G Wiv wrote:S&W is the only steak house in Chicago still serving dry-aged prime beef.

Unless something has changed recently, several other Chicago steak houses qualify:

Stetson's
    Hyatt Regency Chicago
    151 E. Wacker Drive
    312/565-1234

Capital Grille
    633 N. St. Clair St.
    312/ 337-9400

Harry Caray's
    33 W. Kinzie St.
    312/828-0966
    (also Rosemont)

Kinzie Chophouse
    400 N. Wells St.
    312/822-0191

Outside the city, there is also Gino's in Harvey and Krapil's in Worth.
  • Post #5 - March 18th, 2005, 5:24 pm
    Post #5 - March 18th, 2005, 5:24 pm Post #5 - March 18th, 2005, 5:24 pm
    So,

A vendor we work with is taking a few of us out to Gibson's this coming thursday. I've never been (in fact, I've never been to any of the chicago steakhouses -- yell at my parents!), so was looking for suggestions. Specifically which, if any, of the steaks are strongest there.

Since I won't be picking up the bill, let your imagination run free.

I'll be sure to report.

Thanks,
    ed
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #6 - March 18th, 2005, 6:01 pm
    Post #6 - March 18th, 2005, 6:01 pm Post #6 - March 18th, 2005, 6:01 pm
    gleam wrote:So,

A vendor we work with is taking a few of us out to Gibson's this coming thursday. I've never been (in fact, I've never been to any of the chicago steakhouses -- yell at my parents!), so was looking for suggestions. Specifically which, if any, of the steaks are strongest there.

Since I won't be picking up the bill, let your imagination run free.

I'll be sure to report.

Thanks,
    ed

I'm always partial to a bone-in ribeye if available. I would rarely order anything else, but upon occasion I am known to grab a porterhouse. The only other decison regarding the steak is if I want bleu cheese sprinkled on it. Which I would not do on a porterhouse.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #7 - March 18th, 2005, 9:08 pm
    Post #7 - March 18th, 2005, 9:08 pm Post #7 - March 18th, 2005, 9:08 pm
    For Gibson's I'd probably go with the bone-in sirloin. Really, though, all the meat at Gibson's is top-notch so just pick whatever cut you typically like the most and you won't be disappointed - they are very good at what they do. The food at Gibson's is good but the atmosphere is just not my cup of tea. I was never a Rush St. guy, either, so that's probably it. They're always packed so it looks like they'll survive without me. :)

I will give them a nod, though, as my wife sometimes stops at Hugo's Frog Bar after work and they always take great care of her (Hugo's is Gibson's "sister" establishment right next door) there.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #8 - March 20th, 2005, 6:55 pm
    Post #8 - March 20th, 2005, 6:55 pm Post #8 - March 20th, 2005, 6:55 pm
    Gary,
    I think that your instinct was right and that N8NE is the most obvious choice for this young man. And if I ever get divorced I will be asking you for this young fellow's phone number.
    Gina
  • Post #9 - March 24th, 2005, 8:57 pm
    Post #9 - March 24th, 2005, 8:57 pm Post #9 - March 24th, 2005, 8:57 pm
    Went to Gibson's tonight. 8 of us (5 of us, 3 of them) rang up a $600 (before tip) bill and others stayed on for another round of drinks.

Appetizers, shared:

one of the large lobster tails, probably a 2lb tail, others likely know for sure. Split 8 ways. pretty good.

8 shrimp, 8 oysters. good, fresh, briny oysters. fine, very large shrimp. large is a theme, here, as you might expect.

My salad was a house with blue cheese dressing. Very good, but not $4.75 better than the $0 salad with roquefort at Sabatino's.

I had the bone-in ribeye, just below medium rare. Delivered as such. Quite good, nice but not overdone char crust. I think people who find there's too much char on the steaks probably orders the steaks too well done. I also finished off a bit of filet from one of the other diners. It reminded me why I don't really like filet -- just about as tender as a ribeye, but with none of the flavor.

Sides: sauteed spinach with garlic and mushrooms; twice baked potatoes; asparagus with hollandaise.

The spinach was wilted, not really as slow-cooked and mushy as it often is, and was very good. The vinaigrette and garlic helped a lot.

Twice baked potatoes didn't quite live up to my grandmother's, but were fine. Two for the table gave everyone more than enough, I think.

Asparagus was acceptable. It wasn't particularly good -- a far cry from the quite good asparagus I had a couple weeks ago at Marion Street Grill in oak park.

Desserts:

Macadamia Turtle Pie, Pecan pie. Both pretty good. The pecan pie was better, to my taste.

I had a good chardonnay with the appetizers, a glass of stag's leap cabernet with my steak, and a glass of Warres vintage port with dessert.

It was an enjoyable meal, but I won't be back unless it's someone else's dime. The truth is, everything Gibson's can do I can do at home, sometimes better. The steak ranks in my top 5, but I've made better steaks at home and I'm sure I'll continue to do so, at 2/3 the cost.

You really are paying for the experience and the 2 hours rent of the table in that neighborhood.

I'm glad I experienced it at least once. I wouldn't shy away from somewhere like Peter Luger or Bern's in tampa, though. If I have a steak in a restaurant, and I'm paying that much for it, it had better be dry aged.

Maybe smith and wollensky next time.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #10 - March 24th, 2005, 10:25 pm
    Post #10 - March 24th, 2005, 10:25 pm Post #10 - March 24th, 2005, 10:25 pm
    Went to the Morton's last Saturday, had not been in 15 years, Excess! (but what did I expect? :) )

Morton’s 48oz Porterhouse Steak for $84,

The waiter’s quote “tonight our lobsters are averaging between 3 ½ to 4 ¼ pounds”

My “normal” size porterhouse was a very good steak, one of the best I’ve had lately. Sautéed mushrooms were terrific, full of flavor. Garlic mash potatoes were good as well.
    Contrary to our table, I did not like the creamed spinach.

Desserts disappoint! Go elsewhere for your sweet nightcap.

Steaks are wet aged here.

Just this morning I sautéed and put the leftover steak and mushrooms along with some scrambled eggs on a burrito with some fresh home made guacamole. YES, so good.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #11 - March 24th, 2005, 10:26 pm
    Post #11 - March 24th, 2005, 10:26 pm Post #11 - March 24th, 2005, 10:26 pm
    Dined at Pete Miller’s a month ago, the Wheeling location. The original I believe is in Evanston. Our experience was Very poor all around.

Started w/a catfish satay appetizer. Came out quite a bit underdone. Sent it back. Then tried the Calamari, grilled. Came out swimming in balsamic vinegar, w/tons (too much) shavings of parmesan. Calamari were not fresh.

Onto Pete’s Chopped Salad which consisted of: caramelized onions, bacon, chicken, bleu cheese, cheddar cheese (they really like their cheese here), tomato, egg, broccoli, crispy wontons w/balsamic Dijon dressing. Just not good, flavors and lettuce should pop, they did not.

Judi had the Tuna Medallions – no flavor.

I had the NY strip – whatever... Not good, wet aged, doubt it was USDA Prime as waitress stated their steaks were.

The fact that each item we had was poor, we will not go back to Pete Millers
    http://www.petemillers.com/
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #12 - December 6th, 2005, 12:53 pm
    Post #12 - December 6th, 2005, 12:53 pm Post #12 - December 6th, 2005, 12:53 pm
    Hi,

In this thread, there is the only comment I could find on this restaurant:

Capital Grille
    633 N. St. Clair St.
    Chicago
    312/ 337-9400

Friends were in last week for the radiology convention who visited this restaurant. They claimed it is a very old and famous restaurant in Chicago; which may be true except I had never heard of it.

Is this an old establishment who lives by word of mouth and doing quite nicely, thank you very much? If someone has been, then how is the food? Oh and how old is it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #13 - December 6th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Post #13 - December 6th, 2005, 1:00 pm Post #13 - December 6th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    I think Capital Grille started in Washington, D.C. about 10 years ago. It is now a national chain with over 20 locations. Never had a steak there, although at lunch they make a good burger (with onions and bacon ground into the beef) and a good bowl of clam chowder.
  • Post #14 - December 6th, 2005, 1:02 pm
    Post #14 - December 6th, 2005, 1:02 pm Post #14 - December 6th, 2005, 1:02 pm
    Chain out of Providence, I believe, in the Morton's/Palm/Ruth's Chris 90's expense account wave. Made to look like an old mens' club; sort of silly. Steak is choice, not prime, but is dry aged in house. Food is not bad. Would never send an out-of-towner there if an actual Chicago place were open, and there are several in the same vicinity.
  • Post #15 - December 6th, 2005, 1:10 pm
    Post #15 - December 6th, 2005, 1:10 pm Post #15 - December 6th, 2005, 1:10 pm
    Cathy,

I'm not sure exactly when Capital Grille opened in Chicago although I think it was around 8 or so years ago. It was opened in other cities before Chicago, but I'm not sure where it first opened. It's just one concept (although perhaps the most expensive concept) owned by a company called Rare Hospitality International, Inc., which owns several other restaurants. I've been there twice and I think it's about as good or better than most of the steakhouses in Chicago. One thing that I like about Capital is that they use dry aged beef as opposed to wet aged.

Brad
  • Post #16 - December 6th, 2005, 1:52 pm
    Post #16 - December 6th, 2005, 1:52 pm Post #16 - December 6th, 2005, 1:52 pm
    Hi,

My friends are out of towners who were led there by other conventioneers. When they were advising how wonderful old time Chicago this place was. I could only give them a deer in the headlights blank look of non-recognition. At least now I know why!

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #17 - December 6th, 2005, 2:57 pm
    Post #17 - December 6th, 2005, 2:57 pm Post #17 - December 6th, 2005, 2:57 pm
    I went to Capital Grille last year as guests of one of her vendors. I am not a steakhouse type as I am not into the "big meat at a high price expense account style" restaurant.

However, the food was very good. The meat was well prepared, the sides were excellent and the service was attentive throughout the meal.

You could do a LOT worse.
  • Post #18 - December 6th, 2005, 3:17 pm
    Post #18 - December 6th, 2005, 3:17 pm Post #18 - December 6th, 2005, 3:17 pm
    Just went to the Capital Grille in Phoenix last week and when my tablemates asked me where it was in Chicago I looked at them with the same dumbfounded look. I still don't know where it is.

I had an awesome dry-aged 'rare plus' porterhouse. They define rare as cool center, rare plus is just warm.

Only their sirloin and porterhouse cuts are dry aged.

The calamari with hot peppers were perfectly cooked and very tasty too.
  • Post #19 - December 6th, 2005, 4:00 pm
    Post #19 - December 6th, 2005, 4:00 pm Post #19 - December 6th, 2005, 4:00 pm
    Capitale Grille is on the street level of a glass and steel structure from the 80s or 90s; the out-of-towners might want to check for their wallets and watches.
  • Post #20 - December 6th, 2005, 4:05 pm
    Post #20 - December 6th, 2005, 4:05 pm Post #20 - December 6th, 2005, 4:05 pm
    I think it's the Wyndham Hotel that it is in on Erie a couple of blocks from Michigan Avenue. Same hotel that houses Caliterra.
  • Post #21 - December 6th, 2005, 4:10 pm
    Post #21 - December 6th, 2005, 4:10 pm Post #21 - December 6th, 2005, 4:10 pm
    I actually like Capital Grille, despite the fact that it is a chain [I really hate the chain concept for anything other than fast food] and I have brought clients there. The location is nice -- on Ontario a block east of Michigan. They do a very good job with steak and with fish. Sides are huge and pretty good. Plus, they have a pretty good wine list (last time there I had a nice Rhone red) with decent prices on wine.
    It is relatively new, and it reminds me of the Ralph Lauren store on Michigan Ave. -- I am always aware that it is not really old, and that always makes it seem a bit ridiculous.
  • Post #22 - December 7th, 2005, 3:25 am
    Post #22 - December 7th, 2005, 3:25 am Post #22 - December 7th, 2005, 3:25 am
    Capital Grille debuted in Providence, R.I., in 1990, followed by Boston. A third opened in Washington D.C. in 1994. Chicago got one in 1997 (the St. Clair address Cathy2 posts above is correct).

There are now 23 of them, owned by the Atlanta-based Rare Hospitality, which also owns the Longhorn Steakhouses, of which there are 237, and 31 locations of something called Bugaboo Creek Steak House, about which the CEO admits marketing has been "challenging." (Chain Leader interview)
  • Post #23 - December 19th, 2005, 2:34 pm
    Post #23 - December 19th, 2005, 2:34 pm Post #23 - December 19th, 2005, 2:34 pm
    I don't see Sullivan's mentioned much on this forum. Is that because they are owned by the Lone Star Steakhouse people?

We just had our holiday party there last week, and it is consitently a good place for steak (although my assistant insisted on putting KETCHUP! on her filet :cry: ).

If you ever happen in there at lunch, you can still order the lobster tail tempura appetizer off the dinner menu. They come with two very good dipping sauces, one hotter, one smokier.
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #24 - December 19th, 2005, 4:18 pm
    Post #24 - December 19th, 2005, 4:18 pm Post #24 - December 19th, 2005, 4:18 pm
    Willkat98 wrote:I don't see Sullivan's mentioned much on this forum. Is that because they are owned by the Lone Star Steakhouse people?

Everyone that I have asked about Sullivans says they are hit & miss. Lone Star Steakhouse also owns Del Frisco's. I wish they had one here, because the Del Frisco's in Vegas is my favorite steakhouse.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #25 - December 19th, 2005, 5:21 pm
    Post #25 - December 19th, 2005, 5:21 pm Post #25 - December 19th, 2005, 5:21 pm
    Fujisan wrote:
    Willkat98 wrote:I don't see Sullivan's mentioned much on this forum. Is that because they are owned by the Lone Star Steakhouse people?

Everyone that I have asked about Sullivans says they are hit & miss. Lone Star Steakhouse also owns Del Frisco's. I wish they had one here, because the Del Frisco's in Vegas is my favorite steakhouse.

I agree. Hit or miss...mostly miss. The steaks are a grade or two below the top tier steak houses in town.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #26 - December 20th, 2005, 12:08 pm
    Post #26 - December 20th, 2005, 12:08 pm Post #26 - December 20th, 2005, 12:08 pm
    Remarking on steaks in general, I attended a Christmas party recently at picturesquely-urban Gene & Georgetti in the city. Boy, this was done right. For 150 people, a sit-down dinner at long tables starting with appetizers of toasted ravioli, huge shrimp cocktail, fried calamari, sausage & peppers, shrimp de jonghe. Then, we got to order off the menu! Now I hadn't been to G&G in 20+ years, but marrone, the prices, even for a 'touristy' Chicago spot! I was almost embarrassed to see people ordering $69 lobster tail.

But wife & I both ordered the bone-in ribeye at $36 a la carte, and while service was impeccable and a good time was had by all, a bone-in ribeye isn't supposed to be tough and this one was somewhat that way. I've had 'em at home and at other places, and presently Gibson's is #1 in my book. Give me a sharp serrated knife and when I see juices running out when I slice a piece, I know it's right.

Gene & Georgetti is a very cool place, especially for out-of-towners, but those prices would not have me running back regularly.
  • Post #27 - October 4th, 2022, 4:21 am
    Post #27 - October 4th, 2022, 4:21 am Post #27 - October 4th, 2022, 4:21 am
    LAZ wrote:Capital Grille debuted in Providence, R.I., in 1990, followed by Boston. A third opened in Washington D.C. in 1994. Chicago got one in 1997 (the St. Clair address Cathy2 posts above is correct).

There are now 23 of them, owned by the Atlanta-based Rare Hospitality, which also owns the Longhorn Steakhouses, of which there are 237, and 31 locations of something called Bugaboo Creek Steak House, about which the CEO admits marketing has been "challenging." (Chain Leader interview)

Capital Grille is opening in Old Orchard later this year.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more