LTH Home

Bergstein's NY Delicatessen

Bergstein's NY Delicatessen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm
    Post #31 - November 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm Post #31 - November 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm
    Well, I went back to Bergstein's again this morning, just to pick up some bagels, bialys and cream cheese. While I was there, I picked up some nova lox and a small Roumanian Kosher salami to bring home as well. The husband and I had lox and bagel breakfast today and he again remarked at how fresh and delicious the lox is. I have to admit, he is right. I'm not sure where these guys are getting it from, but it's the best I've had in some time.

We will cut the salami during the week. I like hard salami, the husband likes it soft. This one was somewhere in the middle. I'm afraid to cut the end off and try it now because I might be tempted to eat the whole thing.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #32 - November 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm
    Post #32 - November 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm Post #32 - November 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm
    sdritz wrote:Well, I went back to Bergstein's again this morning, just to pick up some bagels, bialys and cream cheese. While I was there, I picked up some nova lox and a small Roumanian Kosher salami to bring home as well. The husband and I had lox and bagel breakfast today and he again remarked at how fresh and delicious the lox is. I have to admit, he is right. I'm not sure where these guys are getting it from, but it's the best I've had in some time.

We will cut the salami during the week. I like hard salami, the husband likes it soft. This one was somewhere in the middle. I'm afraid to cut the end off and try it now because I might be tempted to eat the whole thing.

Suzy

I'm pretty sure they get their fish from Acme in New York.

I've got my Romanian sausage hanging in my kitchen. It's so pretty, I hate to cut it up, though, of course, I will.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #33 - April 7th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    Post #33 - April 7th, 2010, 3:35 pm Post #33 - April 7th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    Went to Bergstein's yesterday with a friend who grew up in the area and is just visiting for the week. I noticed that the sign regarding Manny's corned beef has been missing for a while, so I asked the owner if they were still serving it. Unfortunately, they told me that Manny kept raising prices on them to the point that they had to go to a different corned beef source. They now get their corned beef from the same place as Kaufman's. It's still a very good sandwich, but I guess if I want a Manny's corned beef sandwich, I'll actually have to go to Manny's for it.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #34 - May 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm
    Post #34 - May 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm Post #34 - May 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm
    The Chicago Maroon (U of C student newspaper) is reporting that Bergstein's will open a second location in Hyde Park in a newly renovated space in the same building as Jimmy's Woodlawn tap. Sounds like a great addition to the neighborhood. A new 800-1000 bed dorm will be built essentially across the street from here, which should be good for business.

The Nile to move to 55th, deli to join this spring
  • Post #35 - May 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm
    Post #35 - May 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm Post #35 - May 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm
    Maple Leaf wrote:The Chicago Maroon (U of C student newspaper) is reporting that Bergstein's will open a second location in Hyde Park in a newly renovated space in the same building as Jimmy's Woodlawn tap. Sounds like a great addition to the neighborhood. A new 800-1000 bed dorm will be built essentially across the street from here, which should be good for business.

The Nile to move to 55th, deli to join this spring

Signs for both Bergstein's and The Nile are already up next to Jimmy's; very exciting. I think the deli has one of the better food truck operations down here, and very much look forward to the bricks and mortar presence.
  • Post #36 - May 7th, 2013, 4:50 pm
    Post #36 - May 7th, 2013, 4:50 pm Post #36 - May 7th, 2013, 4:50 pm
    Santander wrote:
    Signs for both Bergstein's and The Nile are already up next to Jimmy's; very exciting. I think the deli has one of the better food truck operations down here, and very much look forward to the bricks and mortar presence.

On the recommendation of sdritz, I visited their deli down in The Heights. I thought it was quite good and, if it weren't so far away from me, I would visit much more often. Now Hyde Park...that's close enough to make it into semi-regular rotation for me. They've got some of the better Jewish deli food in the area.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #37 - January 17th, 2014, 1:04 pm
    Post #37 - January 17th, 2014, 1:04 pm Post #37 - January 17th, 2014, 1:04 pm
    Colleagues and I dined at Bergstein's Hyde Park yesterday in their initial soft opening week (grand opening on or after the 27th), and they are making some tasty sandwiches in a small space; it was also packed, and I know there will be continuing demand for them.

My usual order from the trucks and a visit or two further south was the Bensonhurst, a hot pastrami and corned beef with melted swiss on rye, served with their good pickles and spicy mustard. I experimented with a build-your-own pastrami and corned beef with roasted red peppers on an onion roll this time, and it was beautifully crafted. Their "junior" sandwiches are about $8, and NY-style around $12.

Meats - Sy Ginsberg pastrami and corned beef, Vienna Beef brisket - are thinly machined-sliced, and then steamed and weighed; for this style, they're being well-handled and are rich and moist. The steam tables also currently house some soups (including kreplach) which have been nice in my prior experience. They offer a lox plate as well; their bagels look great, not sure where they're from, most of the other bread products are S. Rosen. A fuller menu will be available in a few weeks. Really nice folks and the significant line moved very smoothly even at this stage.

Bergstein's NY Deli - Hyde Park
    1164 E 55th Street
    Chicago, IL 60615
  • Post #38 - January 17th, 2014, 2:00 pm
    Post #38 - January 17th, 2014, 2:00 pm Post #38 - January 17th, 2014, 2:00 pm
    Glad to hear this. I've been looking forward to their opening since visiting the mother ship. It's still not close to me, but at least now they are in spur of the moment striking distance.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #39 - January 17th, 2014, 2:44 pm
    Post #39 - January 17th, 2014, 2:44 pm Post #39 - January 17th, 2014, 2:44 pm
    Also glad to hear of this. We get to Hyde Park two or three times a year. We're pretty loyal to Medici, but it won't hurt to have another good option. I'm sure we'll give them a try.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #40 - February 24th, 2014, 5:36 pm
    Post #40 - February 24th, 2014, 5:36 pm Post #40 - February 24th, 2014, 5:36 pm
    I enjoyed a Smokey Joe, whitefish salad and lox on challah, praised upthread by sdritz, last Friday at Bergstein's Hyde Park. The bread in particular was great, thick cut and substantial enough to stand up to the whitefish. The place was discouragingly dead for Friday lunch, although I may have missed the lunch rush proper, at around 1:30 or so.

@riddlemay: loyal to the Medici? Maybe if I enjoyed the patronage of Lorenzo himself, but short of that. . . ;)
  • Post #41 - April 7th, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Post #41 - April 7th, 2014, 4:00 pm Post #41 - April 7th, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Had a rather disappointing first visit to the new Bergstein's in Hyde Park, open for a few months now. At a glance it seems like this could be a decent Reuben: a goodly amount of Sy Ginsberg corned beef, enough kraut to register on the taste buds, cheese that's actually melted (seemingly beyond the capabilities of many delis), and judiciously applied Thousand Island dressing.

Hope was dashed with the first soggy bite. Look closer and you'll see one piece of bread is saturated with dressing, the other with kraut and/or meat juice, making an unpleasant mess. It's hard to believe a freshly-made sandwich could become so sodden so soon.

Bergstein's NY Deli — Hyde Park
    1164 E 55th St
    Chicago
    773-891-0429
    http://bergsteinsny.com/
  • Post #42 - November 27th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Post #42 - November 27th, 2023, 3:02 pm Post #42 - November 27th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Bill Davis and his family have long called Homewood home and all are products of Homewood-Flossmoor High School, and within a few months plan to reopen their family business, Bergstein’s New York Delicatessen, in the village.

They’re remodeling the former Homewood Florist space at 18064 Martin Ave., with an expectation of opening the deli toward the end of January, Davis said.

Bergstein’s has been in Chicago Heights, 200 Dixie Highway, since September 2008 and looked at relocating to Homewood for a few years, he said. Davis, his parents and his sister operate the deli.

The new space will have a larger kitchen and dining room, along with space for outdoor dining, he said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... kj5rU5fvJ8
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more