LTH Home

Rudy's Ramen

Rudy's Ramen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Rudy's Ramen

Post #1 - April 29th, 2024, 10:02 am
    Post #1 - April 29th, 2024, 10:02 am Post #1 - April 29th, 2024, 10:02 am
    I was jonesing for a bowl of ramen and saw some reasonably enthusiastic recommendations for this place. For what it's worth, it has 4.9 stars on Yelp and Google from 89 reviews and 302 reviews, respectively. As I live in Wicker Park, I've mostly been going to Oiistar for a bowl which I enjoy but am always disappointed that the soup doesn't arrive very hot. I also detoured at Furious Spoon twice, but only because I forgot how mediocre my first bowl was.

At any rate, I made a trip to Rudy's for lunch last Friday and ordered the Spicy Tonkotsu ramen. I actually had ordered the tantanmen, but was told that it was the only menu item not available at lunch. At any rate, I got a piping hot bowl of ramen with very springy noodles, half a perfect ajitama egg, char siu pork, scallions, bamboo shoots, and black mushrooms (plus whatever made it "spicy"). What I received was a very well balanced bowl and not extremely spicy. The stock was flavorful but not so rich that it made me feel uncomfortable which I often do if the tonkotsu is over the top. It was an excellent bowl made with care and I plan on returning to very soon.

I'm not a ramen expert but this place could use some love and deserves it.

Rudy's Ramen
    1146 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 965-7187

Lunch Hours
    Friday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm

Dinner Hours:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5 pm - 9 pm
    Friday, Saturday: 5 pm - 10 pm
    Sunday, Monday: Closed
  • Post #2 - May 15th, 2024, 4:49 pm
    Post #2 - May 15th, 2024, 4:49 pm Post #2 - May 15th, 2024, 4:49 pm
    I made my fourth trip to Rudy's in the past few weeks and am happy to report that they consistently serve an excellent bowl of tonkutsu ramen. I was joined by the rest of my family. This was my first order of "regular" tonkotsu, as I had enjoyed the spicy version on my previous visits ( and one bowl of tantanmen). I generally do not order spicy ramen as it is very easy for the heat to overwhelm everything else in the bowl, but Rudy seems to get it right. We also split some maitake mushrooms and karaage chicken. Both of these dishes were fine, but not something I'm going to hurry back for.

There's a short cocktail list which includes drinks called The Last Sword (a Last Word made with mezcal) and A Paper Crane (which is a gin riff on a Paper Plane). There's also a short wine list and a few sake offerings. I didn't smple anything other than water, so I can't comment on the quality but there is a general level of care about everything here. Service was helpful and efficient.

Both of my daughters are pretty tough critics and gave the place high marks. My older daughter mentioned that there were over 300 Google reviews online and the average score was 4.9 out of five, which reminded me of the time when Birrieria Zaragoza was the top rated restaurant in Chicago on Yelp, just ahead of Alinea. Just for yucks I searched the Yelp score and it is rated 4.9 from 85 reviews.

I highly recommend giving this place a go if you're in the mood for an excellent bowl.
  • Post #3 - May 19th, 2024, 7:08 am
    Post #3 - May 19th, 2024, 7:08 am Post #3 - May 19th, 2024, 7:08 am
    I was in the neighborhood to see Red Orchid Theatre's Turret being performed at the Chopin Theatre. (Fantastic and weird play featuring Michael Shannon, was entirely sold out, but as of right now there are a few seats available for today, Saturday and next Wednesday (also the last week of performances but Michael Shannon won't be there for those)).

Digression done, back to Rudy's, which I was excited to try. I had the tantanmen, a beautiful bowl of "tantan pork broth with spicy miso pork, ajitma egg, sichuan spices, bamboo shoots, sesame, scallions, and bok choy."

Five years ago, I'd have raved about it, but in a Chicago with Akahoshi and Menya Goku, my standards have gone up. Other than not loving the texture of the ground pork in soup context, there was nothing I didn't like about it. I agree that the spice didn't overwhelm the other ingredients. I'd definitely go back to Rudy's to try a different bowl if I happen to be in the neighborhood and in the mood for ramen, but I live a few blocks from Menya Goku so it's not a place I'd go out of my way to try.

Like Deesher, I was unimpressed with my non-ramen item. This was a pork belly bun. The buns aren't on the online menu and I can't remember the flavor - some kind of caramel - but it doesn't really matter because even if the meat had been particularly good (it was fine), the chewy bun was too distracting to enjoy it.
  • Post #4 - May 19th, 2024, 7:21 am
    Post #4 - May 19th, 2024, 7:21 am Post #4 - May 19th, 2024, 7:21 am
    I have a strong preference for the tonkotsu ramen(s). I liked the tantanmen well enough, but found it somehow less than the tonkotsu. The ground pork does not help. I didn't mind it so much in the Dan Dan noodles at Katy's a few weeks ago, but it detracted a bit from the cold szechuan noodles at Katy's (perhaps because it was too coarse).

Certainly convenient to the theatre. I suggest you try the tonkotsu if you find yourself there again.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more