LTH Home

Salt Shed

Salt Shed
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Salt Shed

Post #1 - July 28th, 2023, 9:23 pm
    Post #1 - July 28th, 2023, 9:23 pm Post #1 - July 28th, 2023, 9:23 pm
    Anyone been? Thoughts on food here?

We are attending a show tomorrow night featuring Audrey’s favorite artist - Cave Town. Received an e-mail tonight alerting to the available food options and was pretty impressed:

We will have a variety of food and beverage options available:
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Food trucks! Including:
    Cafe Tola
    Dominique Leach
    DonerMen
    Plus, pop ups from:
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Frenemies
    All Together Now
    Funeral Potatoes
    And last but not least, a comprehensive beverage program of Chicago-based draft favorites, house made craft cocktails, and a variety of non-alcoholic drinks.

Not sure if all of these will be there tomorrow but I’d be quite happy with just a couple.

1357 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (708) 967-2168
  • Post #2 - July 29th, 2023, 2:25 am
    Post #2 - July 29th, 2023, 2:25 am Post #2 - July 29th, 2023, 2:25 am
    Amazing venue. Very easy to get to walking down Elston from either North or division. (if you're driving, I'd park there and make the 10 min walk). Also lots of space to park your bike if that's your mode of transportation.

Haven't eaten here but seems to be a good curated list. We grabbed a quick bite at Frontier and slid over but many other options
  • Post #3 - July 29th, 2023, 6:38 am
    Post #3 - July 29th, 2023, 6:38 am Post #3 - July 29th, 2023, 6:38 am
    LynnB wrote:Anyone been? Thoughts on food here?

We are attending a show tomorrow night featuring Audrey’s favorite artist - Cave Town. Received an e-mail tonight alerting to the available food options and was pretty impressed:

We will have a variety of food and beverage options available:
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Food trucks! Including:
    Cafe Tola
    Dominique Leach
    DonerMen
    Plus, pop ups from:
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Frenemies
    All Together Now
    Funeral Potatoes
    And last but not least, a comprehensive beverage program of Chicago-based draft favorites, house made craft cocktails, and a variety of non-alcoholic drinks.

Not sure if all of these will be there tomorrow but I’d be quite happy with just a couple.

1357 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (708) 967-2168

I was there recently and the food was great. I had pizza friendly pizza. Friends had a variety of other things and everyone was really impressed.
  • Post #4 - July 29th, 2023, 7:56 pm
    Post #4 - July 29th, 2023, 7:56 pm Post #4 - July 29th, 2023, 7:56 pm
    Darren72 wrote:I had pizza friendly pizza.

Looks interesting! Capsule review perhaps?
  • Post #5 - July 29th, 2023, 9:34 pm
    Post #5 - July 29th, 2023, 9:34 pm Post #5 - July 29th, 2023, 9:34 pm
    We were very impressed with this venue. Sound was excellent, sight lines great. Can’t recall a time where I walked into a bathroom at a concert and stalls were immediately available.

Food wise, we got smash burgers from Goose Island - regular for Jonathan, beyond burger for me. Good buns, fresh toppings. The line for pizza was long. Audrey wanted an empanada but they were out and wouldn’t have more for 15-20 minutes at the time we wanted to eat. She wound up enjoying a hot dog.

We found parking on Elston near the Hideout.
  • Post #6 - July 31st, 2023, 10:58 am
    Post #6 - July 31st, 2023, 10:58 am Post #6 - July 31st, 2023, 10:58 am
    Late chiming in but I'm a big fan of Funeral Potatoes stuff.
    -Mary
  • Post #7 - August 1st, 2023, 2:54 am
    Post #7 - August 1st, 2023, 2:54 am Post #7 - August 1st, 2023, 2:54 am
    tjr wrote:

The photos of PFP that I see here and elsewhere look great, but the slice I got last summer at the Salt Shed was a miss. It was way taller than what they seem to sell at their shop — I’d say easily 2.5-3 inches — and basically a topped focaccia. Which is fine, but the focaccia had clearly been baked first and the toppings added after. The fat in the crust thus made for a nice shiny surface for the cheese/toppings to slide off of completely, as soon as you took a bite. Didn’t help that the slice wasn’t reheated thoroughly, so all the stuff on top was one continuous piece. It’s pretty overpriced, too, but that’s to be expected. I’d still like to try it at their B&M location.
  • Post #8 - August 1st, 2023, 6:48 am
    Post #8 - August 1st, 2023, 6:48 am Post #8 - August 1st, 2023, 6:48 am
    tjr wrote:

I had the onion and miso slice; focaccia crust was outstanding. I’ve only been to their brick and mortar location once and don’t recall much, other than I liked it a lot.
  • Post #9 - August 2nd, 2023, 8:36 pm
    Post #9 - August 2nd, 2023, 8:36 pm Post #9 - August 2nd, 2023, 8:36 pm
    cilantro wrote:basically a topped focaccia. Which is fine, but the focaccia had clearly been baked first and the toppings added after.
    When I searched up home recipes for Sicilian pizza (to learn what that style was) that was generally the technique. Make a par-to-fully baked rectangular focaccia crust, then top and bake more.
  • Post #10 - August 4th, 2023, 5:18 am
    Post #10 - August 4th, 2023, 5:18 am Post #10 - August 4th, 2023, 5:18 am
    tjr wrote:
    cilantro wrote:basically a topped focaccia. Which is fine, but the focaccia had clearly been baked first and the toppings added after.
    When I searched up home recipes for Sicilian pizza (to learn what that style was) that was generally the technique. Make a par-to-fully baked rectangular focaccia crust, then top and bake more.

Good point, although I grew up eating Sicilian and never had this issue before. I go back to the fat content of the crust — when the top slid off the surface underneath looked as brown and smooth as a challah. Who knows, I’ll be there again in a couple of weeks and will give it another shot. Nothing against the Salt Shed, by the way, the Salt Shed’s great!
  • Post #11 - August 19th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    Post #11 - August 19th, 2023, 2:46 pm Post #11 - August 19th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    Loved the venue but thought the food offerings were pretty weak. Are there food trucks outside the courtyard space, as well (on the Elston side)? If so, maybe we missed out on some additional offerings. As for inside, there were just 2 trucks (tacos and bao), as well as the Pizza Friendly Pizza booth. Lines were excessive across the board and the generators powering the trucks were really loud.

The slices we got from PFP were okay, at best. Nothing that wouldn't have me eating elsewhere beforehand next time. Again, a great venue overall but the food and beverage offerings did not move the needle for me much, if at all.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #12 - August 19th, 2023, 2:58 pm
    Post #12 - August 19th, 2023, 2:58 pm Post #12 - August 19th, 2023, 2:58 pm
    The food options at Salt Shed are perfunctory due to having to provide something close to the venue as that stretch of Elston is not exactly high on foot traffic or consumer focused businesses. I would not expect having a dining experience above that of the Taste of Chicago or a neighborhood street fest. There will be restaurant pop ups in the outdoor fairgrounds "food court" (during June's King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard residency, Duck Inn was present one of the nights). However, the lines are long and the eating experience is a picnic table at best.
    My best advice: eat before you get there if your schedule allows.
  • Post #13 - August 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    Post #13 - August 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm Post #13 - August 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As for inside, there were just 2 trucks (tacos and bao), as well as the Pizza Friendly Pizza booth.

=R=

That is very different from what we experienced, Ron. All inside the courtyard we had the following options:

Cafe Tola
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Frenemies
    All Together Now
    Funeral Potatoes
    Goose Island

That said, Cafe Tola was out of food temporarily at the time we wanted to eat. Glad we didn’t wait in the long line for pizza!
  • Post #14 - August 19th, 2023, 3:27 pm
    Post #14 - August 19th, 2023, 3:27 pm Post #14 - August 19th, 2023, 3:27 pm
    lodasi wrote:The food options at Salt Shed are perfunctory due to having to provide something close to the venue as that stretch of Elston is not exactly high on foot traffic or consumer focused businesses. I would not expect having a dining experience above that of the Taste of Chicago or a neighborhood street fest. There will be restaurant pop ups in the outdoor fairgrounds "food court" (during June's King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard residency, Duck Inn was present one of the nights). However, the lines are long and the eating experience is a picnic table at best.
    My best advice: eat before you get there if your schedule allows.

Yeah, understood. Based on what I'd read here and elsewhere, was just hoping for a few more trucks. A few more choices and shorter lines -- nothing more than that.

LynnB wrote:That is very different from what we experienced, Ron. All inside the courtyard we had the following options:

Cafe Tola
    Pizza Friendly Pizza
    Frenemies
    All Together Now
    Funeral Potatoes
    Goose Island

That said, Cafe Tola was out of food temporarily at the time we wanted to eat. Glad we didn’t wait in the long line for pizza!

Yeah, interesting. Maybe it's random how many trucks are at a given show? Or maybe there's a schedule somewhere. This show was effectively sold out, so I don't imagine the number of trucks is linked to the expected gate. In any case, it's easy enough to eat elsewhere, especially when the show starts at 8, which this one did.

Btw, the canned cocktails we tried (Sunshine, Buck) were pretty awful. An old fashioned, made to order at the inside lobby bar, was decent. Staff at that bar -- and throughout the entire venue -- were as friendly and helpful as hell. Just outstanding.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - September 7th, 2023, 10:12 am
    Post #15 - September 7th, 2023, 10:12 am Post #15 - September 7th, 2023, 10:12 am
    cilantro wrote:Who knows, I’ll be there again in a couple of weeks and will give it another shot.

Unfortunately, we were there on the day it was approximately 3,000 degrees and the queue for PFP stretched across several time zones, so I had to content myself with some lackluster quesabirria (primary flavoring agent: salt). Maybe next year.
  • Post #16 - September 13th, 2023, 12:38 pm
    Post #16 - September 13th, 2023, 12:38 pm Post #16 - September 13th, 2023, 12:38 pm
    Went for the first time on Fri July 21st to see Trombone Shorty, Ziggy Marley, Mavis Staples. Enjoyed the latter two but wowza excellent performance from Trombone Shorty.

Had an ok BBQ brisket sandwich from one of the trucks outside the venue.

Loved loved loved the venue. Heading back Sept 24 for Psychedelic Furs & Squeeze in evening after attending the Cubs game that afternoon. I'll happily eat dine at Salt Shed again as it is convenient, I'm there for the music, not the food.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #17 - September 14th, 2023, 9:07 am
    Post #17 - September 14th, 2023, 9:07 am Post #17 - September 14th, 2023, 9:07 am
    I agree with the ideas above - go for the music, not the food, but the food is ok and convenient. At the Cake show Sunday, we did elotes salad and boudin balls from the Gilty Pig truck and two slices from PFP. All of it was solid, not something to seek out, but far better than stadium food. Lines were not too bad (5-10 mins to get food) and seemed to go in waves.

The addition I would make is that they have significantly upgraded the drink options since last year. Before, it was all can beer from mega-brewers, albeit with some of their better acquired brands. Now they have added two tap bars with 20 or so offerings from local brews in addition. There are also canned cocktails and wine plus a wine bar offering bottles (fairly commercial stuff, Foley wines I think, but better than most stadiums) and I believe they offered liquor and mixers. It was a nice surprise upgrade.
  • Post #18 - September 14th, 2023, 2:19 pm
    Post #18 - September 14th, 2023, 2:19 pm Post #18 - September 14th, 2023, 2:19 pm
    And regarding restaurants nearby: There's very little on Elston between the Clyborn Metra and the Salt Shed: Ada Street is a slight detour, Hinoki Sushiko is a pricey option -- neither are a quick bite.

When we went to Nickel Creek there this summer, we didn't know about the trucks, and walked a couple blocks over to Lan's Old Town, pretty good Chinese, not destination-level, but was a decent choice.

If you're coming from North & Clyborn on the L, you've got a lot more options.

Lan's Old Town
    1438 W Cortland St, Chicago, IL 60642
    https://nineninesasianbistro.com/

Also note, we walked it, it's about a mile, didn't see anything that would make us uncomfortable about walking in the city: Elston's a busy street, well lit, and at 11PM when the show ended there was still a lot of traffic: foot, bicycle and car.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #19 - September 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm
    Post #19 - September 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm Post #19 - September 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm
    Went last night and felt like the food options were pretty solid for an entertainment venue. Know the show last night wasn't sold out but the lines were pretty short for all the trucks/stands outside. My group grabbed a couple sandwiches at all together now and they looked great. But $32 for a double bourbon was not as enjoyable. :)

Also, one of my favorite random things about salt shed is they do a great job emailing out set times a day or two before the event. So helpful.
  • Post #20 - September 26th, 2023, 11:16 am
    Post #20 - September 26th, 2023, 11:16 am Post #20 - September 26th, 2023, 11:16 am
    I was here for the first time a few weeks ago to see The Jayhawks and Driveby Truckers. This was my first time here and I was impressed. Was supposed to be an outdoor show. Due to weather was moved indoors. The venue and the Jayhawks both sent me an email about the move indoors. The venue is spacious and beautiful.

There were several food trucks. There were two trucks outside the venue and a few more in the outdoor festival area. I was there solely for music and did not even pay attention to the offerings. One was a Doner truck, one was a taco truck, and one looked like coffee. I did not pay much attention. At a concert, I need beer, bathroom, good sound, and good sightlines.

Salt Shed had good bar offerings. 16oz can of PBR were $7, 312 was $10, 16oz Summer Shed was $8. Everything was credit card only. Staff was friendly and nice.

Men's room had plenty of urinals and was extremely clean!. I am told the women's room was equally easy to navigate and also quite clean. We observed tons of staff cleaning, providing direction, and being helpful

Sightlines were good from the mail floor. The venue is cavernous and is a a re-purposed storage shed. As such, I thought the sound was decent. I would rather have seen these bands at Thalia Hall, Epiphany Center for the arts, or Old Town School Music. That being said, I would return for a show at the Salt Shed
  • Post #21 - September 26th, 2023, 11:26 am
    Post #21 - September 26th, 2023, 11:26 am Post #21 - September 26th, 2023, 11:26 am
    dirtyappraiser wrote:One was a Doner truck
    DonerMen truck? Image
  • Post #22 - September 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm
    Post #22 - September 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm Post #22 - September 26th, 2023, 1:27 pm
    tjr wrote:
    dirtyappraiser wrote:One was a Doner truck
    DonerMen truck? Image

My husband was at that show. He and a friend got sandwiches from yes, the DonerMen truck. They enjoyed them and said they were wrapped really well for eating while standing.
  • Post #23 - September 26th, 2023, 7:46 pm
    Post #23 - September 26th, 2023, 7:46 pm Post #23 - September 26th, 2023, 7:46 pm
    I've been to a handful of events now at Salt Shed, both indoor and outdoor, with my most recent visit taking place earlier this month. For that event the food offerings within the outdoor concert area included Lao Peng You, Funeral Potatoes, Cafe Tola, Pizza Friendly Pizza, a Smashburger vendor and a few others I'm forgetting. I waited too long to grab something however, because when I went back to try something around 9pm they had all closed. So eat early when you first arrive would be my advice!

Great venue run by the great people from 16 On Center Chicago.
  • Post #24 - January 13th, 2024, 2:16 pm
    Post #24 - January 13th, 2024, 2:16 pm Post #24 - January 13th, 2024, 2:16 pm
    Hit a couple goose shows here in 2023., decent venue, but sound is subject. Don’t waste any $ on the food or drink(wook move drinking at a show).

Pro move:Rolled to Chinatown after midnight each night for the always solid stir fried beef dishes and best in class crab Rangoons at 1am.

Chi Cafe
    2160 S.Archer
    Chicago’s, il
  • Post #25 - January 14th, 2024, 7:56 am
    Post #25 - January 14th, 2024, 7:56 am Post #25 - January 14th, 2024, 7:56 am
    jimswside wrote:Hit a couple goose shows here in 2023., decent venue, but sound is subject. Don’t waste any $ on the food or drink(wook move drinking at a show).

Pro move:Rolled to Chinatown after midnight each night for the always solid stir fried beef dishes and best in class crab Rangoons at 1am.

Chi Cafe
    2160 S.Archer
    Chicago’s, il

Sounds like a custie move to me, lol. Don't catch the wook flu out there!

Chi Cafe slaps for sure, though. I dig the Portuguese baked rice & xo noodle rolls.
  • Post #26 - January 14th, 2024, 8:55 am
    Post #26 - January 14th, 2024, 8:55 am Post #26 - January 14th, 2024, 8:55 am
    Jefe wrote:
    jimswside wrote:Hit a couple goose shows here in 2023., decent venue, but sound is subject. Don’t waste any $ on the food or drink(wook move drinking at a show).

Chi Cafe
    2160 S.Archer
    Chicago’s, il

Sounds like a custie move to me, lol. Don't catch the wook flu out there!

Chi Cafe slaps for sure, though. I dig the Portuguese baked rice & xo noodle rolls.

lol. Truth

I’ll definitely try the baked rice and xo noodles you mention. Thank for the rec. !
  • Post #27 - April 5th, 2024, 12:24 pm
    Post #27 - April 5th, 2024, 12:24 pm Post #27 - April 5th, 2024, 12:24 pm
    Goose Island Beer Co. will open its newly relocated brewpub at the Salt Shed next month. Opening day will be Friday, May 3, according to a rep.

https://chicago.eater.com/2024/4/5/2412 ... ening-date
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #28 - July 10th, 2024, 11:25 am
    Post #28 - July 10th, 2024, 11:25 am Post #28 - July 10th, 2024, 11:25 am
    The GP wrote:Late chiming in but I'm a big fan of Funeral Potatoes stuff.

Funeral Potatoes Bringing Its Elevated Midwestern Fare To Portage Park’s Moonflower Bar. After operating as a ghost kitchen for more than four years, the take-and-bake delivery business has a home starting July 17.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07/10 ... lower-bar/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more