LTH Home

Illinois Pancakes

Illinois Pancakes
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Illinois Pancakes

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 pm
    I spotted this on Kiplog's food blog: a recently launched blog devoted to pancakes ordered in restaurants around Illinois, named, simply

Illinois Pancakes

So far, they've visited spots in Aurora (their home base), Darien, Batavia, Downers Grove, Park Ridge, and Big Rock.

Well documented with photos and lengthy writeups.

Enjoy.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 am
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 am Post #2 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 am
    HI,

Much to my amusement, the very first post I see is for Country Cafe, which I have already visited and reported on.

It's a small world, isn't it?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:18 am
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:18 am Post #3 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:18 am
    Speaking about pancakes...

A long time ago I would visit a local restaurant named George's with a little breakfast club I was in. There used to be a breakfast special called a Pancake Sandwich.

They would take ham off of the bone, a couple of eggs and sandwich it between a pair of pancakes.

The salty ham along with the sweet pancakes coupled with the runny yoke (I perfer my eggs, sunnyside up), a pat of butter and no syrup was a pretty good breakfast.

I do not see it on the menu anymore but I bet they could whip one up for me. :)

George's Restaurant
    145 S Oak Park Ave
    Oak Park, IL 60302
    (708) 848-4949
  • Post #4 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:32 am
    Post #4 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:32 am Post #4 - November 3rd, 2006, 10:32 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Speaking about pancakes...

A long time ago I would visit a local restaurant named George's with a little breakfast club I was in. There used to be a breakfast special called a Pancake Sandwich.

A pancake sandwich is a diner classic. You can find it in lots of diners across the country.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 am
    Post #5 - November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 am Post #5 - November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 am
    Hey - does George's fry up some decent cakes? Right down the street from me. Love a good pancake once in a while.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #6 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 pm
    Post #6 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 pm Post #6 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 pm
    And speaking of non-traditional uses for pancakes, I was in New York last week and had a Pancake Benedict, a traditional Eggs Benedict served on buttermilk pancakes rather than English Muffin (with some asparagus, to boot). I was skeptical, but it really worked. Anyone know of a place that serves Benedict here on cakes?

And I guess the other question here is who has the best pancakes in Chicago? My favorites are the thin and chewy 49ers at Walker Bros. and just about anything at the Bongo Room.
  • Post #7 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:54 pm
    Post #7 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:54 pm Post #7 - November 3rd, 2006, 12:54 pm
    Lucky Platter has excellent whole wheat pancakes. When I had a lot of family in town a few weeks ago, they insisted on going there for breakfast two mornings in a row.

Lucky Platter
    514 Main St., Evanston
    (847) 869-4064
  • Post #8 - November 3rd, 2006, 1:13 pm
    Post #8 - November 3rd, 2006, 1:13 pm Post #8 - November 3rd, 2006, 1:13 pm
    I love the Original Pancake House (Hyde Park branch). Three caveats: they don't have evening hours, there's a 15+ minute wait on weekends, and you will need a nap after your meal.

I like the lignonberry pancakes, but it's hard to go wrong. The toppings aren't really up my alley (I prefer savories to sweets), but the pancakes are as fluffy and buttermilk-ey as you could ever want.

The omelets and the Andouille hash are also good. Avoid the cream sauces (as if I needed to tell you that).

Original Pancake House
    1517 E. Hyde Park Blvd.
    773-288-2322
    - Peter
  • Post #9 - November 3rd, 2006, 2:20 pm
    Post #9 - November 3rd, 2006, 2:20 pm Post #9 - November 3rd, 2006, 2:20 pm
    peterc wrote:I love the Original Pancake House (Hyde Park branch). Three caveats: they don't have evening hours, there's a 15+ minute wait on weekends, and you will need a nap after your meal.

On a driving trip through the back roads Out West in the mid-1980s, my wife and I came upon the town of Liberal, Kansas, which a sign proclaimed as "The Pancake Capital of the World." So we stopped. Imagine our surprise when the menu at the place we chose (can't remember the name), and indeed the execution of the cakes actually served, turned out to be identical to those at Walker Bros. in Wilmette!
  • Post #10 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:00 pm
    Post #10 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:00 pm Post #10 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:00 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    peterc wrote:I love the Original Pancake House (Hyde Park branch). Three caveats: they don't have evening hours, there's a 15+ minute wait on weekends, and you will need a nap after your meal.

On a driving trip through the back roads Out West in the mid-1980s, my wife and I came upon the town of Liberal, Kansas, which a sign proclaimed as "The Pancake Capital of the World." So we stopped. Imagine our surprise when the menu at the place we chose (can't remember the name), and indeed the execution of the cakes actually served, turned out to be identical to those at Walker Bros. in Wilmette!

There used to be some sort of business connection between Walker Bros and Original Pancake House. When I lived in Seattle in the late '60s, there was an Original Pancake House near Lake Union. That was the first one I ever tried.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:01 pm
    Post #11 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:01 pm Post #11 - November 3rd, 2006, 3:01 pm
    seebee wrote:Hey - does George's fry up some decent cakes? Right down the street from me. Love a good pancake once in a while.

It has been years since I had a pancake there. Usually I get the corned beef hash with eggs on top.

The Original Pancake House on Lake Street makes some really good ones. I usually have them as a side along with my ...
    originalpancakehouse.com wrote:Mushroom Omelette
    Our fluffy omelette filled with fresh mushrooms and topped with a rich mushroom sherry sauce.

Another thing not to miss there is ...
    originalpancakehouse.com wrote:Apple Pancake
    Oven baked with fresh granny smith apples and pure Sinkiang cinnamon glaze

Big as a dinner plate and tastes great! Get it to go!

The Original Pancake House
    954 Lake Street
    Oak Park, Illinois 60301
    (708) 524-0955

(I did not know there were so many locations!)
  • Post #12 - November 3rd, 2006, 4:46 pm
    Post #12 - November 3rd, 2006, 4:46 pm Post #12 - November 3rd, 2006, 4:46 pm
    As a birthday treat to myself, I went to the Original Pancake House Oak Park location a few weeks ago. I have always enjoyed the Swedish Pancakes with the great slab bacon they serve. Well I wasted my money. Pancakes tasteless and overcooked. The bacon limp and undercooked. Coffee bad. Service confused. And in a place I always remember as being busy, I was one of two tables being served. Further investgation found that the building has been sold. So they appear to be coasting along until the doors close.
  • Post #13 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:05 pm
    Post #13 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:05 pm Post #13 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:05 pm
    At any Original Pancake House or Walker Bros., I get the 49er Flapjacks. Sometimes they are great. And the other times they are better than that.
  • Post #14 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:27 pm
    Post #14 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:27 pm Post #14 - November 3rd, 2006, 5:27 pm
    The Olde North Pancake House on North Avenue in West Chicago has pumpkin pancakes this time of year, along with pumpkin-flavored syrup.

Ooh, man. Good stuff.

Olde North Pancake House
    27w751 North Ave
    West Chicago

630-293-4774
    Writing about craft beer at GuysDrinkingBeer.com
    "You don't realize it, but we're at dinner right now." ~Ebert
  • Post #15 - November 4th, 2006, 12:17 am
    Post #15 - November 4th, 2006, 12:17 am Post #15 - November 4th, 2006, 12:17 am
    Olde North - great memories of hitting this place after a wake and bake as a high schooler. Almost a pancake eating contest.
  • Post #16 - November 4th, 2006, 8:32 am
    Post #16 - November 4th, 2006, 8:32 am Post #16 - November 4th, 2006, 8:32 am
    thick wrote:As a birthday treat to myself, I went to the Original Pancake House Oak Park location a few weeks ago. I have always enjoyed the Swedish Pancakes with the great slab bacon they serve. Well I wasted my money. Pancakes tasteless and overcooked. The bacon limp and undercooked. Coffee bad. Service confused. And in a place I always remember as being busy, I was one of two tables being served. Further investgation found that the building has been sold. So they appear to be coasting along until the doors close.

Very interesting.

Last week, my wife and I decided to go out for breakfast, something we rarely do these days. We hit this OHOP, and yes, it was surprisingly bad. The apple pancake came out completely underdone. So bad we sent it back. A big problem was, when we wanted to complain, we could not find anyone even close to a manager. I kinda wrote that meal off as an abberation from a generally decent (but no Walker Brother's) spot. I guess not.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #17 - November 4th, 2006, 10:34 am
    Post #17 - November 4th, 2006, 10:34 am Post #17 - November 4th, 2006, 10:34 am
    An entire blog dedicated to Illinois Pancakes?! That's fantastic! Believe it or not my favorite joint to get pancakes and an endless cup of insomnia is an oldie, but in my opinion, a goodie.

Here's a familiar hint.

Golden Nugget Pancake House(s)

4229 W Irving Park Rd
    Chicago, IL 60641
    (773) 777-7107

--------------------------

2720 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL 60614
    (773) 929-0724

-------------------------

2406 W Diversey Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 252-8903

------------------------

3953 W Diversey Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-4346

------------------------

4747 N Ravenswood Ave
    Chicago, IL 60640
    (773) 769-6700

------------------------

3001 N Central Ave
    Chicago, IL 60634
    (773) 725-5510

------------------------

3234 W Irving Park Rd
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 267-1987

~GS
    Greasy Spoon
  • Post #18 - November 6th, 2006, 8:16 am
    Post #18 - November 6th, 2006, 8:16 am Post #18 - November 6th, 2006, 8:16 am
    Hot-cake challenge
    Local woman and boyfriend to visit all of Illinois' pancake houses

November 6, 2006
    By Isaac Wolf Staff writer

Amanda Steiger, of Lemont, has a tall stack of a task ahead of her: Eat in each of Illinois' pancake houses.

"We want to get to each place in the state eventually," Steiger said. "It'll be tough."

Steiger, 24, along with her boyfriend, Joe Niemczyk, 27, of Aurora, started an online diary of their flapjack samplings in September. The couple have eaten countless breakfasts at pancake houses but so far only have chronicled eight restaurants.

"We start with the breakfast places that are close to us," Steiger said. "When we're driving, if something catches our eye, we have an excuse to stop."

Flapjack houses dot the Southland, speaking to the region's penchant for five-egg omelets and syrup-drenched hot cakes. Over lunch at Lumes Pancake House in Orland Park, the couple explained Illinosians' love affair with griddlecakes.

More at: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/1252 ... 06.article
  • Post #19 - November 6th, 2006, 11:28 am
    Post #19 - November 6th, 2006, 11:28 am Post #19 - November 6th, 2006, 11:28 am
    I've always found the buckwheat pancakes at Victory's Banner to be quite good. Although you have a somewhat cultish atmosphere to put up with when you're there!

Victory's Banner
    www.happycow.net
    2100 W Roscoe St
    Chicago, Illinois 60618
    (773) 665-0227
  • Post #20 - July 27th, 2020, 10:22 am
    Post #20 - July 27th, 2020, 10:22 am Post #20 - July 27th, 2020, 10:22 am
    whiskeybent wrote:The Olde North Pancake House on North Avenue in West Chicago has pumpkin pancakes this time of year, along with pumpkin-flavored syrup.

Ooh, man. Good stuff.

Olde North Pancake House
    27w751 North Ave
    West Chicago

630-293-4774

https://www.facebook.com/OldeNorthPancakeHouse/

I am announcing today that Olde North Pancake House will no longer be open. After 47 years we have done all that we can to keep this from happening. We want to thank all of our customers that have visited us over those 47 years. It’s been our pleasure to serve and get to know you on a personal level as well. We will always have those memories to take with us. We have been a leader in the breakfast community for so many years it’s very hard to say goodbye. I want to also thank my staff for showing me the courage, the integrity and professionalism to the very end. I will always appreciate your dedication, service, and wish you all the very best! Hopefully, you all have enjoyed some great moments at Olde North over the 47 years. Special times like birthdays, holidays and anniversaries. You will always have those to cherish for years to come. I would also like to thank my wife Heidi for supporting me in all the years of working each and every holiday for all those years. A special thanks to my kids Ashley, Courtney and Ricky without their hard work and dedication of growing up in the business. I could not have done it without you! Ricky, my son, has put in 9 years of devotion to Olde North and for that I am forever grateful. Lastly I would like to thank my mother Alma Horan for put giving me chance to carry on the tradition of her restaurant and make it truly one of the best breakfast place around. Thank you mom!
    In closing, if you have a special time, a fond memory you would like to share please open up your heart and share that moment with us. Hopefully, we will be able to re-open Olde North Pancake House and relive those moments in time. Good-bye from our family to yours! Olde North Pancake House
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more