LTH Home

Cafe Baba Reeba

Cafe Baba Reeba
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Cafe Baba Reeba

Post #1 - November 12th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Post #1 - November 12th, 2006, 8:57 pm Post #1 - November 12th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    What do you all think? Have you eaten at the one in Vegas as well? :?:
  • Post #2 - November 12th, 2006, 10:15 pm
    Post #2 - November 12th, 2006, 10:15 pm Post #2 - November 12th, 2006, 10:15 pm
    Cafe Babareeba on Halsted is a very good tapas restaurant. It's part of the Lettuce Entertainment family. There is a large selection of tapas, most of which are reasonably priced but a few seem inflated to me. I know they have an affiliate in LV but I haven't been there. Many people think it is the best tapas restaurant in the city.

Jesper
  • Post #3 - November 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm
    Post #3 - November 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm Post #3 - November 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm
    I've always felt "eh" about this place. I think the tapas are good, not great (and certainly not the best in the city). It's a fun place to go with a group, but certainly no place to find a special meal.

I haven't got a clue about the one in Las Vegas. Although it is in a mall with other restaurants that you can eat at in other cities (Maggiano's, Ra Sushi, Captial Grille). Again, I haven't eaten at the LV outpost, but I'm sure you can do better if you are looking for someplace to eat.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 9:42 am
    Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 9:42 am Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 9:42 am
    It was the first tapas-themed place in Chicago. I won't say it's the worst tapas place in Chicago (though now that the place on Lincoln and Irving closed the title belt is vacant), but I'd certainly disagree that it's the best.
  • Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 9:58 am
    Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 9:58 am Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 9:58 am
    I wouldn't say that it's the best in town, as there probably are better, more authentic places (Cafe Iberico, maybe Emilio's restaurants). But it's definitely not bad, or even "eh", in my opinion. In fact, we've had some very good meals there over the years, and I think that their tapas is, for the most part, very good to excellent.

It's a corporate restaurant, obviously (owned by LEYE), but I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them. I wasn't even aware that they had opened one in Vegas.
  • Post #6 - November 13th, 2006, 12:25 pm
    Post #6 - November 13th, 2006, 12:25 pm Post #6 - November 13th, 2006, 12:25 pm
    The ambiance at the one in Chicago is better than the one at Fashion Show in Las Vegas, but the outdoor seating with a Strip view is nice.

The place to go for tapas in Las Vegas, IMO, is Firefly on Paradise. I try to avoid the chains as much as possible.

www.fireflylv.com

Firefly* on Paradise
    3900 Paradise Road,
    Las Vegas, NV 89109-0931
    (702) 369-3971
  • Post #7 - November 13th, 2006, 12:42 pm
    Post #7 - November 13th, 2006, 12:42 pm Post #7 - November 13th, 2006, 12:42 pm
    i'm never overly impressed with any particular thing i order at ba ba reba, and i have at least 2 other Tapas places in Chicago that rank as being better on my list...

but it is reliable, and good usually. i like that you can make a quick reservation on opentable.com before you go there, so you don't have to wait around watching trixies discuss their latest shoe purchase.

the outdoor patio is nice but can be too cramped at times. service can be a wee bit slow at times.

they do have a really great bar special... i think its between 2-6pm every day they have $2-3 tapas items if you sit at the bar. (metromix has more details on this if you're interested).
  • Post #8 - November 13th, 2006, 8:51 pm
    Post #8 - November 13th, 2006, 8:51 pm Post #8 - November 13th, 2006, 8:51 pm
    dddane wrote: i have at least 2 other Tapas places in Chicago that rank as being better on my list...

Your comment begs the question: What 2 tapas places do you prefer?
  • Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 8:14 am
    Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 8:14 am Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 8:14 am
    The food at Ba-Ba-Reba is mediocre, but I've had far worse in Chicago. I think Ba-Ba-Reba does beef well--I remember enjoying the pincho de solomillo. Definitely make a reservation. Waits can be horrendous.

For tapas, I prefer Tapas Barcelona in Evanston and sometimes Avec.

http://www.tapasbarcelona.com/
    http://www.avecrestaurant.com/
  • Post #10 - November 14th, 2006, 8:22 am
    Post #10 - November 14th, 2006, 8:22 am Post #10 - November 14th, 2006, 8:22 am
    Another vote for "eh."

Reservations are a plus, but I prefer the food -- and just as importantly the sangria -- at a few other spots, namely Iberico. (I just wish it wasn't such a long wait to get a table on the weekends, although the pulpo a la plancha & queso de cabra make it all worth it.)
  • Post #11 - November 14th, 2006, 8:27 am
    Post #11 - November 14th, 2006, 8:27 am Post #11 - November 14th, 2006, 8:27 am
    I'm not sure if we need another *shrug*, but I'll add my voice to the chorus. I've eaten at Ba-Ba-Reeba a number of times over the years and I can't remember the taste of a single meal. This speaks to the fact that it's not terrible, but it's not very good either.

As mentioned briefly above, the best tapas in Chicago are available at a restaurant that doesn't call itself a tapas restaurant at all: Avec.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #12 - March 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm
    Post #12 - March 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm Post #12 - March 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm
    I know I'm going against the grain on this one, but I just wanted to report back on the overall excellent experience that we had a Ba-Ba-Reeba this past Saturday.

Our party of four arrived to find the place totally packed, and anticipated a long wait even with our opentable.com reservation. Surprisingly, despite the long wait (as evidenced by the extremely crowded bar and entrance areas) we were seated within five minutes or so of arriving.

Although the place was very crowded, and loud, our server handled our table like an experienced pro. He was friendly and professional -- but not overbearing -- and always seemed to show up at just the right time. Despite the crowds, the kitchen churned out our orders on que, and we really didn't wait long for anything.

The tapas were fantastic. My wife and I have been fans of Ba-Ba-Reeba for years, and both agreed that the quality was even better than we remembered it. In particular, the garlic potato salad, beef tenderloin w/ blue cheese, grilled calamari, stuffed mushrooms, chicken and chorizo skewers, and baked goat cheese all have stood the test of time. Based on the quality of our meal, I would not be reluctant to recommend Ba-Ba-Reeba to even the most critical tapas connoisseur.

The couple who joined us aren't necessarily cutting-edge gourmets, but dine out frequently. They concurred that the food and service were excellent and that the meal -- at about $100 per couple with tax, tip, and wine (a $28 tempranillo that was quite good) -- was a real bargain.
  • Post #13 - March 5th, 2007, 5:18 pm
    Post #13 - March 5th, 2007, 5:18 pm Post #13 - March 5th, 2007, 5:18 pm
    Jesper wrote:
    dddane wrote: i have at least 2 other Tapas places in Chicago that rank as being better on my list...

Your comment begs the question: What 2 tapas places do you prefer?

sorry i somehow missed this reply, but since the thread has been rehashed i'll reply.

to me, ba-ba-reeba loses points on atmosphere... i always feel a bit like i'm in a chain restaurant when i'm there. and though the food is solid, i've never really had anything that i was blown away with enough to wish i could go back for more next time (or for that matter, it takes me a minute to recall some of the things i've eaten there...). i always have had average "what do you want" type service there...

i much prefer Iberico and Arco de Cuchelleros over baba reba... iberico because i think the food is better than baba, arco de cuchelleros because i think it feels more intimate (and the food is good, but sometimes really outstanding--particularly their daily specials are sometimes really good/unusual). arco is really all seasons, too... in the winter the inside is intimate and warm, in the summer their outdoor patio is great. iberico i like that there's different rooms all with a tad bit different feel. iberico is one of those places i'd never have a qualm about taking out-of-town guests to, i know just about everyone can enjoy it
  • Post #14 - March 5th, 2007, 7:33 pm
    Post #14 - March 5th, 2007, 7:33 pm Post #14 - March 5th, 2007, 7:33 pm
    Hmm.. I haven't been to many tapas styled restaurants, though I did have a pleasant experience at Ba-Ba.

Wherever I go, I always have a hard time choosing from the menu, I mostly rely on the waiters. Cafe Ba-Ba Reeba was one of only a few restaurants where they waiter and service was extremely good. I'm sure for some, that probably isn't enough to consider a place good but for me it definitely adds something to my comfort and atmosphere.

In addition, I had Beef Tenderloin & Blue Cheese, soo good (Also mentioned by Ron A. above). From what I can remember the meat cut like it was butter and tasted soo good. I'd never experienced meat that was soo tender and tasty. I went about a year and a half ago and I still remember that moment. I have recommended this place to friends. I enjoyed the helpfulness of the staff and great food.
  • Post #15 - March 6th, 2007, 5:21 am
    Post #15 - March 6th, 2007, 5:21 am Post #15 - March 6th, 2007, 5:21 am
    Ron A. wrote:I know I'm going against the grain on this one, but I just wanted to report back on the overall excellent experience that we had a Ba-Ba-Reeba this past Saturday.

Thank you for going against the grain.

I think a lot of people hesitate to post contrary opinions, and I think sometimes that leads to an unfortunate sense of LTH group-think.

This meta-comment has nothing to do with the details of your opinion and everything to do with hoping that people continue to express their honest opinions, no matter "which way" those opinions go (especially when they take a little time to substantiate them).
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #16 - August 10th, 2008, 9:25 am
    Post #16 - August 10th, 2008, 9:25 am Post #16 - August 10th, 2008, 9:25 am
    We’re hardly tapas experts but you can put us down in the “we enjoyed it” group. We had a very pleasant meal, liked the food (and service) and will return.

I probably haven’t been to Ba-Ba-Reeba in a good ten or fifteen years and I decide that I ought to introduce the Lovely Dining Companion to this Chicago institution. We made what I thought was an early reservation, 6 pm, this past Saturday and arrived to find the place already pretty well-packed. Fortunately, I had asked in advance for a quiet table, to the extent that such a thing exists. Well, it doesn’t, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In the event, we given a table in a small side room that was much quieter than the rest of the place.

We were seated immediately and had a prompt, attentive server who knew his menu. I asked about having sherry with my dinner (it wasn’t listed on the drinks list; turns out that sherries are on the back of the dessert menu—or maybe vice versa). He recommended the flight of sherries which, in my humble estimation, was a terrific deal. There were four glasses: Pedro Domecq “La Ina” (fino); Vinicola Hidalgo “La Gitana” (manzanilla); Antonio Barbadillo (amontillado); and Emilio Lustau “Escuadrillo” (amontillado). All for $7.25.

I began with an intriguing gazpacho made from cucumbers, almonds, and red grapes. I liked it quite a bit though LDC scrunched up her face. Can’t please everyone. Our shared tapas were the garlic potato salad (a huge portion); asparagus, griddled red onions, and piquillo peppers with orange sections; mushrooms stuffed with spinach and manchego in a creamy manchego sauce; shrimp with (plenty of ) garlic, oil, and red pepper flakes; and roasted dates wrapped in bacon with apple vinaigrette.

Brief takes: we both really enjoyed the potato salad; the potatoes were perfectly cooked, dressed just right, and the flavors were wonderful. It was a very large portion and we just about finished it. The asparagus dish comprised four battering ram-sized spears and though it worked, neither of us were taken with it; it was the single dish we agreed we wouldn’t bother ordering next time. Nothing affirmatively wrong, we just found that it didn’t really come together for us. The mushrooms were a surprise hit: stuffed mushrooms, after all, are stuffed mushrooms. What set these apart was the sauce...excellent. (For those unfamiliar with manchego, it’s a sheep’s-milk cheese that resembles cheddar. Like cheddar, it sharpens with age.) Roast dates in bacon: what’s not to like? I didn’t taste the vinaigrette although LDC said she did and enjoyed it.

The restaurant has a nice selection of tapas-style desserts, meaning small portions. But for $2.75 each, you can taste more than one and so we shared three: a cherry bread pudding, chocolate tres leches cake, and flan. Each was a miniature version of a large (full-size) portion and all were beautifully made and presented. All were hits at our table with excellent coffee as well.

Is it a destination spot? No, not for us. But we enjoyed our meal. $53 before tax or tip. Café Bab-Ba-Reeba has been open forever and runs like a well-oiled machine. Seating and service were prompt. We never had to wait for our dishes and for all the hordes waiting in the bar, we were never rushed in the least. Our server was attentive without hovering (or, contrariwise, disappearing for long stretches). With a reservation, it was a most enjoyable time and I have no doubt we’ll do it again before too long.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #17 - August 11th, 2008, 11:12 am
    Post #17 - August 11th, 2008, 11:12 am Post #17 - August 11th, 2008, 11:12 am
    Thanks for the current report. Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba seriously revamped its menu a couple years ago and although they they took my favorite dish (tenera asada) off the menu, I still find the food very good.

They offer $3 bar tapas from 4-6 p.m. daily and weekends from 10 p.m. to midnight, which makes it a good pre- and post-theater spot if you're headed for Steppenwolf or the Royal George.

Don't miss the "fried green peppers & coarse salt," which sounds ho-hom, but they are pimientos de padron and quite wonderful.
  • Post #18 - August 11th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    Post #18 - August 11th, 2008, 12:41 pm Post #18 - August 11th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    LAZ wrote:Don't miss the "fried green peppers & coarse salt," which sounds ho-hom, but they are pimientos de padron and quite wonderful.

Funny you should mention them. I enjoy them and was (a) surprised to see them on the menu and (b) even more surprised that they described them simply as peppers and salt. No mention of pimientos de padron. And fortunately, there was enough on the menu that there remain a number of interesting things for our next foray!
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #19 - August 11th, 2008, 2:57 pm
    Post #19 - August 11th, 2008, 2:57 pm Post #19 - August 11th, 2008, 2:57 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Roast dates in bacon: what’s not to like? I didn’t taste the vinaigrette although LDC said she did and enjoyed it.

This dish at Baba Reeba is one of my favorite life-expectancy-lowering cravings in Chicago. Note that there is nothing roasted here. These babies are wrapped in bacon and deep fried.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #20 - August 11th, 2008, 4:21 pm
    Post #20 - August 11th, 2008, 4:21 pm Post #20 - August 11th, 2008, 4:21 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Roast dates in bacon: what’s not to like? I didn’t taste the vinaigrette although LDC said she did and enjoyed it.

This dish at Baba Reeba is one of my favorite life-expectancy-lowering cravings in Chicago. Note that there is nothing roasted here. These babies are wrapped in bacon and deep fried.

That's what I guessed. Then I went back to the menu to look. And "roast" is actually how the menu describes the dish. Which actually makes sense. Upon reflection, the deep frying would work for the bacon but I think destroy the structural integrity of the dates. In addition to which, they don't have the kind of searing heat you would expect something with all that sugar to retain if it had been deep fried. But ultimately: who cares? They're too damn good! :lol:
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #21 - August 11th, 2008, 4:27 pm
    Post #21 - August 11th, 2008, 4:27 pm Post #21 - August 11th, 2008, 4:27 pm
    menu description or not, I have first hand experience in the kitchen. It's possible that the dates themselves were pre-roasted, but the final product is definitely fried.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #22 - December 23rd, 2008, 7:00 am
    Post #22 - December 23rd, 2008, 7:00 am Post #22 - December 23rd, 2008, 7:00 am
    In an appeal-to-masses move I don't care for, Cafe Baba Reeba has created and laminated brand new menus that no longer have any hint of Spanish language usage. Paradoxically - if my dinner last night is an indication - the kitchen has actually escalated the food's authenticity and deliciousness.

Here are some highlights among the many things we ate.
    - Spanish omelette was thick and light, and served with an earthy sherry alioli that complemented it well.
    - Patatas bravas were a perfect rendition: super crispy, served with a sun-dried tomato alioli that did not hold back on the spiciness.
    - Bacon wrapped dates were as good always, with a stint in the deep-fryer producing a nice crunch to the bacon exterior, while the dates inside remained soft and light.
    - Garlic shrimp was no joke, and should only be ordered by garlic-loving couples that plan to share, or who love each other enough to look past intense garlic aroma oozing from body pores.
    - Sea scallops with raisins, pine nuts, and couscous were a simply, but perfectly prepared combination of ingredients that work very well together. The scallops themselves had a nice sear and were cooked just right.
    - Fried green peppers with coarse sea salt no longer use pimientos de Padrón (they're having trouble finding them), but whatever the tiny little green pepper they found from California is, it's delicious. Mild, light, and almost seedless - with a little salt you pop these babies into your mouth for an excellent amuse bouche.

I like Cafe Baba Reeba a lot. With a warning about the collegetown, Americanized look and feel, I happily recommend it to people asking where to find Chicago's best non-Avec tapas.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #23 - December 23rd, 2008, 11:47 am
    Post #23 - December 23rd, 2008, 11:47 am Post #23 - December 23rd, 2008, 11:47 am
    Thanks for the update. I think we are going to indulge in their New Years Day pajama brunch for my daughter's 15th birthday celebration. We have never been and I think everyone in our family will be able to find something wonderful to eat there.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #24 - December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 pm
    Post #24 - December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 pm Post #24 - December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 pm
    The menu re-do is part of the dining culture I don't like at Ba-Ba-Reeba: too loud, too many pitchers of fashion-fruit sangrias, overindulging guests, poorly oriented staff, very little speaking of Spain except for what's on the plate.

However, what's on the plate goes a long way for me, and as I've mentioned in other threads, I know that there are some very proud, well-trained chefs there, and that management does care about Iberian culture and traditions in the city. Their special events have always been remarkable in quality and value - I took an eye-opening paella class there a few years ago and walked out with about $20 of saffron threads after talking to the chef about favorite varieties, and best of all was an Art Institute lecture / dinner on El Greco, with ridiculous quantities of wine. Food at that one included whole trout with fresh herbs, snails, fried calamares, jamon serrano, and alarmingly (and most welcomed) rare-inside charred-outside beef skewers. Both the Toledo dishes and the coastal Andalucian dishes resonated strongly with my memories in those areas.

I encourage trying these events, and also going just at the start of $3 tapas happy hours, or conversely on quieter weekend afternoon or early weeknight times for dinner. If you can sit close to the kitchen or catch a manager's eye expressing some particular interest in a region or section of the (now English) menu, you might have a good conversation or get an extra bite of something they're preparing for an event. I just wish they had consistent specials and shared everything they do know with all diners, even on the busy nights.
  • Post #25 - December 23rd, 2008, 4:17 pm
    Post #25 - December 23rd, 2008, 4:17 pm Post #25 - December 23rd, 2008, 4:17 pm
    I've been to Cafe Baba Reeba and Cafe Iberico and I like them both. I think I prefer Iberico simply because its less expensive but the food at both is great.

I liked the sangria and paella at Cafe Baba Reeba!
    Hillary
    http://chewonthatblog.com <--A Chicago Food Blog!
  • Post #26 - April 1st, 2012, 1:22 pm
    Post #26 - April 1st, 2012, 1:22 pm Post #26 - April 1st, 2012, 1:22 pm
    After walking around the neighborhood for 3 hours, Fiancee and I needed to stop some place to eat. Not having many options in the vicinity, we dropped in to Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba without any wait.

Bread Service
    Not the best presentation. We were offered bread with extra virgin olive oil.

Black Raspberry Sangria Skyy infusion raspberry
    Though I did not taste any alcohol, this was quite refreshing.

Datiles Con Tocino roast dates with bacon & apple vinaigrette

This is fiancee's go to when it comes to appetizers. Not too shabby.

Pintxos Platter including (clockwise):
    Piquillo Relleno Con Costillas De Buey short rib-stuffed piquillo pepper
    Croqueta De Champiñones Y Arroz mushroom & rice croqueta
    Pimiento De Padrón Con Queso De Aceituna Y Piquillo padrón pepper, olive cream cheese & pimento
    Atún Con Aguacate ahi tuna poached in olive oil on avocado toast
    Croqueta De Queso De Cabra goat cheese croqueta
    Dátil Con Chorizo Y Queso chorizo-wrapped medjool date & cheese

Costillas De Buey A La Rijana rioja braised short ribs, mashed potatoes

Plato De La Casa serrano ham, salchichon, chorizo & manchego

Gambas Al Ajillo shrimp with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes

Patatas Bravas spicy potatoes with tomato alioli
    Potatoes were well cooked though the spice came from the alioli.

Montadito Con Queso San Simon, Calabaza Y Manzana butternut squash & cheese toast, kale & apple salad

The most unusual dish I've had in a long while. Not unfamiliar with funky dishes, this just didn't blend for me.

Though it has been a while since anyone has posted in this thread, I'm in the same class that Gypsy Boy is in.

Sure, Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba isn't the best, but you could do far far worse.
    Last edited by incite on April 2nd, 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #27 - April 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm
    Post #27 - April 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm Post #27 - April 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm
    I have to say I am surprised by the negative comments. I was at Ba Ba Reeba last week and had a great time. I also had the butternut squash toast and many other items and I think that many of the singular dishes could beat out similar takes at GNRs.

Empanadas there are very good.
    I love the garlic squid
    Chorizo and date pintxo is my favorite.

I have to say for the price and for the food, I am a fan!

I am not a fan of Iberico as I always thought everything was just okay, and the ambiance a bit rushed. Although, I could feel that way since Ive only been with groups too big and sat by the deli.

Ba Ba Reeba - I am a fan!
  • Post #28 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:09 am
    Post #28 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:09 am Post #28 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:09 am
    Cafe Baba Reeba also has a kick butt bloody mary bar on the weekends. It's a mini buffet including shrimp, chili's, beef broth, clam juice, salami, ham, etc. etc. and so on- with call vodka for around 7 dollars. Grab some small tapas and a good time is sure to follow!
  • Post #29 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:54 am
    Post #29 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:54 am Post #29 - April 2nd, 2012, 7:54 am
    ll982 wrote:I also had the butternut squash toast and many other items and I think that many of the singular dishes could beat out similar takes at GNRs.

Care to elaborate?
  • Post #30 - January 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm
    Post #30 - January 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm Post #30 - January 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm
    Mrs Willie and I had dinner on Sun night at Café-ba-ba-reeba, hadn't been since last century. There was an Iberico pork w/chorizo & olives that was quite tasty, everything else we had was very mediocre.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more