LTH Home

Cafe Baba Reeba

Cafe Baba Reeba
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 4:27 pm
    Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 4:27 pm Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 4:27 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Roast dates in bacon: what’s not to like? I didn’t taste the vinaigrette although LDC said she did and enjoyed it.

This dish at Baba Reeba is one of my favorite life-expectancy-lowering cravings in Chicago. Note that there is nothing roasted here. These babies are wrapped in bacon and deep fried.

I know this is a really old thread, but LEYE posted the bacon wrapped dates recipe on their website.

https://www.leye.com/in-the-know/how-to ... -ba-reeba/
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #32 - November 15th, 2021, 9:16 am
    Post #32 - November 15th, 2021, 9:16 am Post #32 - November 15th, 2021, 9:16 am
    Coogles wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Roast dates in bacon: what’s not to like? I didn’t taste the vinaigrette although LDC said she did and enjoyed it.

This dish at Baba Reeba is one of my favorite life-expectancy-lowering cravings in Chicago. Note that there is nothing roasted here. These babies are wrapped in bacon and deep fried.

I know this is a really old thread, but LEYE posted the bacon wrapped dates recipe on their website.

https://www.leye.com/in-the-know/how-to ... -ba-reeba/

I made the mistake of nudging some out-of-towners to Ba Ba Reeba based on good recent reports of their filtered, heated patio. After confirming it was bookable online but uncertain what time we'd arrive, we went directly to the restaurant to discover the patio was closed for a private party (at 4 PM).

The restaurant is sprawling enough for social distancing that the experience would have been recoverable but for the food. The date pintxo on offer was chorizo-wrapped vs. bacon, and they were served lukewarm with a funky solid cheese curd center. Piri piri thigh skewers were akin in quality to Morning Star vegetarian nuggets tossed in Frank's and served on a smear of cold commercial hummus. Lomo iberico was presented in unchewable burnt ends in a thin green garlic excretion. Hanger steak tasted of cheap chuck. Pimientos padrones comprised a small handful of shishitos served with rock salt, period. Meatballs in sauce were salty and edible but could have been microwaved from the freezer aisle and represented any of about 10 cultures. In a lifetime of small plates nothing nears the abyss of this tapas experience. I used to have success with their special event tastings. This was bad enough to put me off even those.

The sangria was excellent.
  • Post #33 - November 15th, 2021, 9:41 am
    Post #33 - November 15th, 2021, 9:41 am Post #33 - November 15th, 2021, 9:41 am
    Santander wrote:Lomo iberico was presented in unchewable burnt ends in a thin green garlic excretion.

Yum!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #34 - November 16th, 2021, 3:13 pm
    Post #34 - November 16th, 2021, 3:13 pm Post #34 - November 16th, 2021, 3:13 pm
    I've always thought of this place as the best "smell test" of another's culinary discernment: if someone says he/she likes this place, run. Some of the worst food in Chicago.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more