LTH Home

Habana Libre

Habana Libre
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 26th, 2012, 7:35 am
    Post #61 - January 26th, 2012, 7:35 am Post #61 - January 26th, 2012, 7:35 am
    What happened to this place?

Went last night and with the exception of the empanadas, everything tasted overcooked and/or underseasoned.

tostones rellenos with shrimp - underseasoned, bland

breaded pork chop - overcooked

skirt steak - overcooked, underseasoned

garlic shrimp - bland, bland, bland. it looked very pale. compared to prior pictures of this dish, it did not have any of the green and red peppers in the sauce

Was this an off night or has this place gone downhill?
  • Post #62 - January 26th, 2012, 10:01 pm
    Post #62 - January 26th, 2012, 10:01 pm Post #62 - January 26th, 2012, 10:01 pm
    What happened to this place?

You noticed, too, huh? I was there for lunch a month or so ago and ordered what had been in the past a very good version of fried chicken. Well, this one wasn't.
    I'd like to hear some positive contemporary comment from LTH if indeed there is any to be had. I'm occasionally in the neighborhood, and since this has turned into a very competitive eating environment, I'd hate to waste another meal hoping to prove myself wrong.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #63 - August 31st, 2012, 10:27 am
    Post #63 - August 31st, 2012, 10:27 am Post #63 - August 31st, 2012, 10:27 am
    I did stop by. In a neighborhood that has gone so hip, trendy and busy, I quite enjoy the total lack of pretension. My meal was fine, Lechon Asada. The pork was tasty, mixed with onions and a strong bite of garlic. Service was charming.

Can't say I will rush back, as there are so many options - given the cuisine and the price point, I wish the meat had been a little crispier, a little less pulled and mushed (in the spirit of full disclosure, I usually have a similar problem with pulled pork of all kinds), but my meal was good and a relative bargain.

Lukewarm, I guess, is my endorsement.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #64 - September 4th, 2012, 10:15 am
    Post #64 - September 4th, 2012, 10:15 am Post #64 - September 4th, 2012, 10:15 am
    I also had a lackluster lunch here last month. I thought it was because I ordered off the "lunch special" menu - chicken encebollado. The onions were barely sweated through, the whole dish lacked flavor and needed salt. Black beans and rice were still good though.

After eating lamented that the restaurant may not know why customers like to eat there and put up something to fill bellies at lunch instead of satisfy more than just hunger.

Still makes me less enthusiastic to return for my dinner favorite oxtails. :x
  • Post #65 - July 30th, 2020, 7:08 am
    Post #65 - July 30th, 2020, 7:08 am Post #65 - July 30th, 2020, 7:08 am
    Per a post on its website, Habana Libre closed permanently “due to the impact of coronavirus.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more