LTH Home

McFib Sandwich

McFib Sandwich
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 10 of 10 
  • Post #271 - December 26th, 2020, 3:00 pm
    Post #271 - December 26th, 2020, 3:00 pm Post #271 - December 26th, 2020, 3:00 pm
    These two McRib knockoffs are so much better than the real thing (Washington Post, about two places in DC)
  • Post #272 - October 1st, 2021, 7:38 am
    Post #272 - October 1st, 2021, 7:38 am Post #272 - October 1st, 2021, 7:38 am
    McDonald’s barbecue pork sandwich returns to restaurants nationwide Nov. 1, earlier than last year.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/fo ... 918508001/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #273 - October 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm
    Post #273 - October 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm Post #273 - October 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm
    Dave148 wrote:McDonald’s barbecue pork sandwich returns to restaurants nationwide Nov. 1, earlier than last year.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/fo ... 918508001/

...and it's the 40th anniversary of that alleged meat product.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #274 - October 27th, 2021, 3:14 am
    Post #274 - October 27th, 2021, 3:14 am Post #274 - October 27th, 2021, 3:14 am
    McRib is back, you do not have to wait for November 1st. :D

Ghost pepper chicken nuggets are at Burger King.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #275 - November 7th, 2021, 7:00 pm
    Post #275 - November 7th, 2021, 7:00 pm Post #275 - November 7th, 2021, 7:00 pm
    JoelF wrote: {extraneous reply snipped}
    I have likely responded similarly elsewhere in this thread; but in the mid-1990s, when McD's had Michael Jordan pimping it in nationally-televised advertisements, even he could not get it as a permanent entree in Chicago. :!:
    McD's should have completely abandoned it then.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: http://74.115.231.54/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #276 - November 7th, 2021, 7:54 pm
    Post #276 - November 7th, 2021, 7:54 pm Post #276 - November 7th, 2021, 7:54 pm
    I doubt the McRib was ever intended to be a regular menu item, any more than their shamrock shakes or other things they bring out occasionally. Indeed, the McRib's rarity and unpredictability have probably helped it achieve a cult status that benefits its sales more than the shamrock shake, which comes around predictably every year.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #277 - November 7th, 2021, 8:31 pm
    Post #277 - November 7th, 2021, 8:31 pm Post #277 - November 7th, 2021, 8:31 pm
    pudgym29 wrote:
    JoelF wrote: {extraneous reply snipped}
    I have likely responded similarly elsewhere in this thread; but in the mid-1990s, when McD's had Michael Jordan pimping it in nationally-televised advertisements, even he could not get it as a permanent entree in Chicago. :!:
    McD's should have completely abandoned it then.

I remember reading that the McRib is only featured when McD's can corner the pork market.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #278 - November 8th, 2021, 1:10 pm
    Post #278 - November 8th, 2021, 1:10 pm Post #278 - November 8th, 2021, 1:10 pm
    JoelF wrote:I remember reading that the McRib is only featured when McD's can corner the pork market.

This aroused my curiosity and led me to

this tidbit: "McDonald's is now the biggest purchaser in the world of beef, pork, potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes, and the second-biggest buyer of chicken, after KFC. When it decided to add apple slices to Happy Meals a few years ago, the company quickly became the biggest buyer of the shiny red fruit in the United States."

and this chart, which shows how McRib appearances correspond to drops in pork prices.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #279 - November 8th, 2021, 1:50 pm
    Post #279 - November 8th, 2021, 1:50 pm Post #279 - November 8th, 2021, 1:50 pm
    Katie wrote:this chart, which shows how McRib appearances correspond to drops in pork prices.

At least in our region, McRib have been offered yearly. It was bit surprising last year when people made a big to-do about it coming back again after some years. From this chart, there were some skipped years, though not from my experience.

Thanks for the research, it was quite interesting.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #280 - Yesterday, 6:28 pm
    Post #280 - Yesterday, 6:28 pm Post #280 - Yesterday, 6:28 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Ghost pepper chicken nuggets are at Burger King.

Out of morbid curiosity, I tried these a couple of weeks ago. For a buck fifty and tax, the investment was low.

The only positive I could find about the experience was that the the nuggets actually did have a reasonable level of spiciness, especially for a mass market fast food product. Spicier than other "ghost pepper" marketed products I've had over the years where the food is apparently seasoned by the shadow of a bhut joloklia. After finishing my ten nuggets (or whatever number it was) there was pleasant tingle left on tongue and lips.

But other than the heat, there wasn't much flavor to the breading. Completely one dimensional. And the nuggets. God, the nuggets. They are the absolute worst fast food chicken nuggets I've ever eaten by a longshot (minus the one time a decade-ish ago I made the same mistake of getting a regular order of $1.49 BK nuggets. Call me an eternal optimist, but I had hoped maybe they had changed them in the interim, but what did I expect at that price?) Absolute garbage. The texture was soft and squishy, as if they were made half of binders. No better than the microwaved "dinosaur nuggets" my children eat. And I'm no nugget snob. I love McDonald's regular nuggets. A version of this with McDonald's nuggets and some more interest in the spicing, and I'm there. But no thanks. And BK can do chicken decently, as they've shown with their Ch'king or however you spell that stupid name.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more