LTH Home

Mario's has PEACH!

Mario's has PEACH!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 9
  • Mario's has PEACH!

Post #1 - August 22nd, 2004, 12:09 am
    Post #1 - August 22nd, 2004, 12:09 am Post #1 - August 22nd, 2004, 12:09 am
    What else is there to say... except Mario's Has Peach! They won't have it for long....

Leah & I tested it. The fruit is a little hard, but quite good tasting, and there was a lot of it.

Mario's Italian Lemonade
    1068 W Taylor St
    Chicago
    (no phone)
    ---dick
  • Post #2 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:24 am
    Post #2 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:24 am Post #2 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:24 am
    Dick,

Peach, yea! I wonder what time Mario's opens today? :)

Last few times I've been to Mario's I've had cantaloupe there and watermelon take-home. Only, small, problem with taking home Mario's ice is it freezes hard as a rock.

I had a very good pineapple Italian Ice last week at Ferro's, which I like for a change of pace. Ferro's has a smoother consistency than Mario's, verging on 'slushy', to Mario's more granita like texture.

Great pictures

Enjoy,
    Gary

Ferro's Italian Beef
    200 W 31st St
    Chicago , IL 60616
    312-791-1818
  • Post #3 - August 22nd, 2004, 7:49 am
    Post #3 - August 22nd, 2004, 7:49 am Post #3 - August 22nd, 2004, 7:49 am
    Hi,

You beat me to the punch! I was at Mario's around 9 PM last night. If I wasn't so tired when I got home, and knew I'd likely fall asleep at my computer, I would have put out the clarion call! Yea, peach has arrived. As Dick pointed out the chopped fruit is hard, though they are using the soft ripe fruit for what is most important: flavoring the ice.

I was at Ferro's last weekend, which uses a different process from Mario's. All Mario's flavors begin with a base of the lemon Italian Ice, then mix in other fruits and flavors.. Ferro's Lemon is lemon. Their strawberry is strawberry, ect. Last weekend I bought: pineapple, lemon, watermelon and strawberry. I personally liked the strawberry the best. All were made with real fruit with pieces evident throughout. It is located south of Chinatown, a convenient stop for a light dessert.

Now that peach is at Mario's, it is another sign this incredibly nice summer is waning. I have liked this summer largely absent of hot, humid days. I can take the heat, it is the humidity which causes me to drag.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:52 pm
    Post #4 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:52 pm Post #4 - August 22nd, 2004, 5:52 pm
    Homer's has peach ice cream now. Had some two days ago; lots of peach flavor.

Homer's Gourmet Ice Cream
    1237 Green Bay Rd
    Wilmette, IL 60091
    (847) 251-0477
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #5 - August 23rd, 2004, 1:46 am
    Post #5 - August 23rd, 2004, 1:46 am Post #5 - August 23rd, 2004, 1:46 am
    We never take Mario's lemonade home. Its peak flavor and consistency are too ephemeral. One enjoys in one's car on Taylor Street, if lucky enough to find a parking place, or else while driving home.

I like the lemon base -- it's Italian lemonade, after all -- which works especially well with the peach, and the texture, which, though slightly granitalike, as Gary says, is still smooth enough to drink through a straw (vs., say, Johnnie's, which really needs to be eaten with a spoon unless you let it thaw awhile).

We have not tried Ferro's. Does it contain pieces of fresh fruit? And do they serve their frozen fruit drinks (not lemonade, I guess, if not lemon flavored, nor Italian ice, which is firmer -- smoothies, perhaps?) year-round?
  • Post #6 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:33 am
    Post #6 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:33 am Post #6 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:33 am
    LAZ wrote:We have not tried Ferro's. Does it contain pieces of fresh fruit? And do they serve their frozen fruit drinks (not lemonade, I guess, if not lemon flavored, nor Italian ice, which is firmer -- smoothies, perhaps?) year-round?

LAZ,

Ferro's does contain pieces of fresh fruit and their Italian ice is the same general texture (degree of frozen) as Mario's, just smoother. So, yes, Ferro's Italian Ice is firmer than a smoothie.

I like Ferro's, the pineapple I referenced was wonderful, though, overall, I prefer Mario's.

Enjoy,
    Gary
  • Post #7 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:38 am
    Post #7 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:38 am Post #7 - August 23rd, 2004, 7:38 am
    We have not tried Ferro's. Does it contain pieces of fresh fruit?

There was definitely fresh fruit present in the flavors we tried. Unlike Mario's, there was no lemon peel or other bits of lemon present in the lemon ice. Ferro's is a fast food stand in what seems to be a former gas station. It is open year round, rather than Mario's seasonal presence, so I presume the ices are year round as well.

Gary and Erik were at Ferro's about a month ago, when they met somebody who was buying a quantity to take to Champaign. Even more impressive, they had driven from Champaign only for this purchase. At least Erik wondered out loud how well it was going to survive the trip. Since all these ices are often on the edge of converting back to liquid state, which is why you pointed out they need to be consumed promptly.

When I was between 6-10 years old, we lived on the east coast which allowed frequent visits to Philadelphia. We loved nothing better than to buy Italian lemon ices and warm soft pretzles with mustard from push carts. So visiting Mario's this summer really rekindled some childhood memories.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #8 - August 30th, 2004, 10:35 am
    Post #8 - August 30th, 2004, 10:35 am Post #8 - August 30th, 2004, 10:35 am
    Hi,

Last night I was at Mario's for my weekly fix. I got the medium cup with lemon ice on the bottom and peach ice on top.

Unlike last week's peach, the ice was much more flavorful and the fruit was soft and flavorful as well. A step up from last week, where the ripe fruit went into flavoring the ice, which is the best use, but chopped up under-ripe was mixed into the ice.

Mario's will be closing soon, so get it while it's there.
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - September 7th, 2004, 11:38 pm
    Post #9 - September 7th, 2004, 11:38 pm Post #9 - September 7th, 2004, 11:38 pm
    HI,

This evening I stopped by Mario's around 11:15 PM for a 'dinner' of Peach Lemonade. The ice was clearly made with very ripe fruit and the chopped fruit was very flavorful also. It was the best cup of peach lemonade I have had so far this year.

Get it while it lasts, this Sunday is the last day for Mario's this season until May 1, 2005.
    Cathy2

• Post #10 - September 9th, 2004, 6:09 am
    Post #10 - September 9th, 2004, 6:09 am Post #10 - September 9th, 2004, 6:09 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

This evening I stopped by Mario's around 11:15 PM for a 'dinner' of Peach Lemonade. The ice was clearly made with very ripe fruit and the chopped fruit was very flavorful also. It was the best cup of peach lemonade I have had so far this year.

Get it while it lasts, this Sunday is the last day for Mario's this season until May 1, 2005.

Hum. Ok. Ive not been to Mario's - and it seems I might be going towards the
    South Side on the 94 this Sunday after all. And given your repeated recs,
    I must try it :-)

I can check the directions easily enough on mapquest (not far off the
    highway I presume?) But, the first post in this thread said "no phone".
    Does anyone know for sure what time Mario's is open, this Sunday
    maybe? How early in the morning can one stop by? (If its open till
    11:15 at least on Sunday night, hopefully that should be enough
    for a late-night stop-by - but just in case, is it open by 10am or earlier
    in the morning at all?)

And, is the peach the clear #1 rec for Mario's, accept no substitutes?

Thanks in advance.

c8w
  • Post #11 - September 9th, 2004, 6:56 am
    Post #11 - September 9th, 2004, 6:56 am Post #11 - September 9th, 2004, 6:56 am
    Hi,

After talking to the manager Bill the other night, I can absolutely confirm this place has no phone. The hours of operation are 11 AM to midnight.

Everything at this stand has a base of Italian lemonade ice. If you order chocolate, it is mixed into the lemonade base. I was telling Bill it is sometimes a bit disconcerting to pull a piece of lemon peel out of a chocolate ice. Lemon and chocolate don't go easily together in my mind, but this is the Mario's experience. Bill also intimated that people get very, very excited about the peach. I then pulled out my LTHforum card and said it was quickly announced on our food chat board.

Peach has a sweet/bitter presence: people love the peach but it also a harbinger the Mario season is quickly coming to a close. In the sizes above small, you can get half and half: I'd do lemonade and peach; they do allow samples before you buy.

Off of 94 are exits for Taylor St/Roosevelt Road. Mario's is west of Halsted in the Italian neighborhood on the north side of the street across from Al's Italian Beef.

Have fun!
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - August 10th, 2005, 1:43 am
    Post #12 - August 10th, 2005, 1:43 am Post #12 - August 10th, 2005, 1:43 am
    Ok, I'm a Mario's vigin here, but hopefully I will conquer it sometime the next 11 days while I am here. Any idea if peach is in yet? If not, other flavors that are don't miss?
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #13 - August 10th, 2005, 6:46 am
    Post #13 - August 10th, 2005, 6:46 am Post #13 - August 10th, 2005, 6:46 am
    As of Saturday, they didn't yet have peach, just a long line of people waiting for the usual flavors. (While policemen in line at Mario's are nothing unusual, Saturday I was surprised to notice that the two motorcycle cops who pulled up were with the River Grove force.) It's typically available in late August.

The best flavors, to my mind, are those flavored with fruit rather than syrup. As noted above, all begin with a fresh lemon base, so don't get anything you don't think meshes with lemon.

Fresh fruit flavors include peach -- when they have it -- watermelon, cantaloupe, tutti-frutti, coconut, pineapple and pina colada, possibly one or two of the others. I'll note that tutti-frutti gets better as summer progresses; the mix of fruit increases.

More on Mario's here.
  • Post #14 - August 10th, 2005, 8:25 pm
    Post #14 - August 10th, 2005, 8:25 pm Post #14 - August 10th, 2005, 8:25 pm
    I was there tonight. No peach yet, but the pineapple was good.
  • Post #15 - August 11th, 2005, 8:23 am
    Post #15 - August 11th, 2005, 8:23 am Post #15 - August 11th, 2005, 8:23 am
    Mario's ice is good, but I don't consider it a place that I'll go out of my way to visit. If I'm close by I'll stop, but not more than 5 minutes out of my way. Like some other food places, the atmosphere/environment/neighborhood enhances the flavor of the ices - it's not necessarily the quality or something special about the product. I've never considered the ices, other than lemon, to be exceptional. I don't find the lemon all that lemony - especially when I compare the taste to the lemon ice I've had at Johnnies on North Ave. - but it hits the spot on a hot day. Seasonal, fun at times, but not all that flavorful - that's how I describe the ices at Mario's ("understated" might be a better description). For someone from outside Chicago, looking to experience local neighborhood food (and get off the tourist trail) - it's worth a stop . . . combined with a stop across the street at Al's (the overrated beef place) - and the opportunity to eat a meal off of the hood (or trunk) of your car.
  • Post #16 - August 11th, 2005, 7:53 pm
    Post #16 - August 11th, 2005, 7:53 pm Post #16 - August 11th, 2005, 7:53 pm
    If you're considering it as "ice," no, it doesn't have the impact of an intense sorbetto or granita.

But what Mario's serves is not "ice." It's frozen lemonade, an icy beverage.

And since I've spent every summer for the last 20 years trekking into Taylor Street from the suburbs to get it, obviously I disagree with you about whether it's worth a special trip.

(For what it's worth, to my taste, Johnnie's uses too much peel oil and freezes it too hard in comparison.)
  • Post #17 - August 12th, 2005, 9:05 am
    Post #17 - August 12th, 2005, 9:05 am Post #17 - August 12th, 2005, 9:05 am
    But what Mario's serves is not "ice." It's frozen lemonade, an icy beverage.

:roll:
  • Post #18 - September 2nd, 2005, 10:04 am
    Post #18 - September 2nd, 2005, 10:04 am Post #18 - September 2nd, 2005, 10:04 am
    Hi,

I stopped by Mario's on my way home hoping to finally get peach. I learned they will be open until the end of next week, though it might be a wee bit longer. I also learned they have not yet offered peach and may not offer any this season.

The manager indicated the issue was availability of peach. I will surmise it is availability at the price point they prefer.

Next year! New crop! New luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - August 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm
    Post #19 - August 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm Post #19 - August 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm
    I'm making the semi-annual trek to Chicago and da 'burbs tomorrow with the clan for a week's visit and I'm bound and determined to do a Taylor Street Al's/Mario's run. Been to Al's and although not my favorite it's certainly worth the visit.

A couple of years ago there was the glorious thread here on LTH that "Mario's has Peach"...and that evoked a lot of great summertime thoughts. And if I can't get peach...what DO I want?
  • Post #20 - August 7th, 2006, 4:04 pm
    Post #20 - August 7th, 2006, 4:04 pm Post #20 - August 7th, 2006, 4:04 pm
    Hi,

I go straight lemonade, though my friends often choose cantelope and watermelon.

I was just thinking about you last night. Wondering if you had been here already for your annual visit. If you desire and have even a moment of time, there could always be a group dinner planned.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - August 7th, 2006, 4:08 pm
    Post #21 - August 7th, 2006, 4:08 pm Post #21 - August 7th, 2006, 4:08 pm
    We've been jonesing for the peach ice cream at Cunis, too, although the thought usually occurs when we're not even remotely near that being a reasonable jaunt.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #22 - August 7th, 2006, 5:46 pm
    Post #22 - August 7th, 2006, 5:46 pm Post #22 - August 7th, 2006, 5:46 pm
    The canteloupe and watermelon have been pretty awesome this year.
    MJN "AKA" Michael Nagrant
    http://www.michaelnagrant.com
  • Post #23 - August 7th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    Post #23 - August 7th, 2006, 8:22 pm Post #23 - August 7th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    coincidentally, i was wondering the same thing this wkend. i spoke to bill who manages mario's for skip, mario's son. peach will not occur until the last 3-4 wks of the season, if @ all. i remember when they used to do honeydew, nectarine and mango as well, but it seems as it's too much additional prep work. @ least that's what i was told. @ least they're still as good as they've always been, although i've been a bit disappointed w/watermelon this season.

i'd stick w/the fresh fruits as opposed to syrups/extracts. as of yesterday those would be lemon, banana, cantaloupe, fruit cocktail and watermelon.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #24 - August 9th, 2006, 4:43 pm
    Post #24 - August 9th, 2006, 4:43 pm Post #24 - August 9th, 2006, 4:43 pm
    jazzfood wrote:coincidentally, i was wondering the same thing this wkend. i spoke to bill who manages mario's for skip, mario's son. peach will not occur until the last 3-4 wks of the season, if @ all. i remember when they used to do honeydew, nectarine and mango as well, but it seems as it's too much additional prep work. @ least that's what i was told. @ least they're still as good as they've always been, although i've been a bit disappointed w/watermelon this season.

i'd stick w/the fresh fruits as opposed to syrups/extracts. as of yesterday those would be lemon, banana, cantaloupe, fruit cocktail and watermelon.

Yes, Ive been looking for the peach too - last time I was there was about
    a week ago, and they said it wouldnt be available until sometime into
    August at earliest. I hope that is accurate - last year they said the
    same thing, and the peach never showed up at all, all season long
    (made it down even the very last day they were open last year - they
    never did have peach).

I too often go with the watermelon and canteloupe - the w/melon has
    been up and down this year IMHO. Talked to a girl in line and she
    suggested pineapple - so tried it for the first time, and liked it a lot.
    will probably combine that with something the next time Iam at Mario's.

If you want a Mango Ice (only ever had it once, and liked it - but then
    I love Mango in all forms)... there was one available a few weeks ago
    at Carm's in Hillside, probably still is. (They also had a 99c hot dog
    special at the time, which was very good).

c8w
  • Post #25 - August 9th, 2006, 5:03 pm
    Post #25 - August 9th, 2006, 5:03 pm Post #25 - August 9th, 2006, 5:03 pm
    Anthony's mango is nice also. The passionfruit, as I've said, is tremendous.

By the way, I tried a few ices in Manhattan last weekend. I think we've got em' there,
  • Post #26 - August 9th, 2006, 5:05 pm
    Post #26 - August 9th, 2006, 5:05 pm Post #26 - August 9th, 2006, 5:05 pm
    Freddy's in Cicero has had mango ice all summer. Quite good it is, too.
  • Post #27 - August 9th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    Post #27 - August 9th, 2006, 5:31 pm Post #27 - August 9th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    I'm almost positive the orange is also a fresh fruit one as well. It is my current favorite, like drinking a frozen orange. Soooo refreshing on a hot day.
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #28 - August 9th, 2006, 6:45 pm
    Post #28 - August 9th, 2006, 6:45 pm Post #28 - August 9th, 2006, 6:45 pm
    [quote="JeffB"]Anthony's mango is nice also. The passionfruit, as I've said, is tremendous.
    quote]

Anthony's? Where is that, again? (hopefully a little closer to the
    northside than Mario's :-)

c8w
  • Post #29 - August 9th, 2006, 6:53 pm
    Post #29 - August 9th, 2006, 6:53 pm Post #29 - August 9th, 2006, 6:53 pm
    Anthony's, Southport near Roscoe.
  • Post #30 - August 11th, 2006, 10:43 pm
    Post #30 - August 11th, 2006, 10:43 pm Post #30 - August 11th, 2006, 10:43 pm
    Thanks for all the replies, and especially to cathy2 for her kind note. We're under the gun with friends and families for the visit, but I hope to do some chowhouw...er, LTH-ish things sometime!

Hit 2 major winners in Milwaukee yesterday after the Cubs game (Zaffiro's and my first-ever Kopp's visit) and have already indulged on some great pizza and italian beef here...and I have a few places on my hit list to get to before we head back next week.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more