LTH Home

Simply It (Vietnamese in Lincoln Park)

Simply It (Vietnamese in Lincoln Park)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Simply It (Vietnamese in Lincoln Park)

Post #1 - January 9th, 2007, 11:17 pm
    Post #1 - January 9th, 2007, 11:17 pm Post #1 - January 9th, 2007, 11:17 pm
    From Chicago Tribune:

Simply It

2269 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-248-0884

This Vietnamese spot slated to open this week has a distinguished pedigree: Co-owner Tuan Nguyen has been in the biz for more than two decades and is a partner at Uptown's Pasteur (5525 N. Broadway; 773-878-1061). At his newbie Lincoln Park spot, Nguyen aims to please the budget-minded; most entrees are under $13, and it's BYOB. Entrees include roasted duck curry and a whole red snapper with chile-garlic-lime sauce, plus there are Vietnamese faves such as pho and banh mi.

Hubby and I headed over there tonight. We shared the Tamarind Shrimp soup and Grilled Lemongrass Porkchop.

The soup is listed as serving 1-2, and that is certainly true, unless that's the only thing you eat. The menu listed the soup as shrimps, tamarind, okra, celery, and herbs. When it appeared, it also included pineapple and maybe some tomato. It was very different than any other soup that I've had because of the combination of things. Brothy and kind of refreshing with chunks of all these interesting things.

The pork chop was a nice accompaniment to the soup. There was definitely enough pork for us to share. It was very thin, but tasty. Served with rice.

We were both full from the soup, pork, rice, and a tea for me and only about $20 poorer at the end of the meal. It was apparent that the restaurant just opened with the service. Some of the employees seemed like they hadn't worked as waiters before. Nevertheless, they had good intentions. The dining room is nicely decorated with brick walls and interesting art and accessories, just wish they had not painted the walls the celery color, just not the best to go with the otherwise nice surroundings.

They're open daily for lunch and dinner. Next time, we'll try some other dishes. Just nice to see another new Vietnamese place outside of Argyle.

No website
    Simply It
    2269 North Lincoln (very near Fullerton/Lincoln)
  • Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 2:25 am
    Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 2:25 am Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 2:25 am
    This Metromix article includes discussion on Simply It. It mentions the pumpkin soup that I was tempted to try on my visit. I'll have to try that next time. The article isn't extensive, but adds further commentary.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dini ... op_hedsh2o
  • Post #3 - January 11th, 2007, 8:11 am
    Post #3 - January 11th, 2007, 8:11 am Post #3 - January 11th, 2007, 8:11 am
    Nice. Glad to see another Vietnamese option in the neighborhood. Hai Yen suffices but certainly isn't anything spectacular.

Simply It already has their menu up on menupages and it even looks like they deliver. I'm eager to check out their rendition of pho.

http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurant ... uisineid=0

I must say though, it's a fairly terrible name.
  • Post #4 - July 30th, 2020, 7:11 am
    Post #4 - July 30th, 2020, 7:11 am Post #4 - July 30th, 2020, 7:11 am
    Simply It, Vietnamese Restaurant Owned By Beloved ‘Little Uncle Tuan,’ Closes Due To Pandemic

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/05/12 ... -pandemic/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #5 - July 30th, 2020, 7:53 am
    Post #5 - July 30th, 2020, 7:53 am Post #5 - July 30th, 2020, 7:53 am
    Buan Nguyen of Simply It hasn't totally disappeared. From the Block Club article:

For now, Nguyen plans to return to Pasteur, where he’ll volunteer his time to help his sister-in-law see the business through the pandemic.

Pasteur in Edgewater has modified its name to "Simply Pasteur."

Simply Pasteur
    5525 N Broadway,
    Chicago, IL 60640
    773-728-4800
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat