LTH Home

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 8
  • Post #121 - November 18th, 2019, 9:39 am
    Post #121 - November 18th, 2019, 9:39 am Post #121 - November 18th, 2019, 9:39 am

Brendan at GNR Big Guys devised a heavyweight knockout punch to the Popeye's sandwich last week, replete with a profanity-laden social media video Facebook won't run as an ad ("stab-free since 2012"). I ate it all up including the sandwich, of which I intended to save half for a second meal, but the arugula beckoned seductively.

This chicken burrata sandwich with ostensibly Italian flavors is more like a medieval inn sideboard; there's not good scale in the image but the full chicken breast is positively architectural and the trencher of toasted bread table-like. Good olive oil and herbs finish. I was thinking initially I might have preferred one or more chicken thighs for ratio, but the real-chicken-massiveness of it makes its own statement.
  • Post #122 - November 28th, 2019, 11:43 pm
    Post #122 - November 28th, 2019, 11:43 pm Post #122 - November 28th, 2019, 11:43 pm
    JeffB wrote: I have a cute Popeye's story.
    Maybe three winters ago (2002?), on a calm, moonlit January night, I ventured forth to the local Popeye's. The big tires on my metrosexy SUV crunched the virgin snow on Ashland as I pulled into the lot across from Lakeview High School, hard by the Long Room.
    One car idled ahead of me at the drive-thru window, its steamy exhaust mingling with the aroma of biscuits and battered fries. I put the truck in park and waited, inhaling the spicy, greasy Popeyes fumes that lingered lazily between the snow and the crisp night air. The beams of my headlights sliced through the purple darkness, stopping at a dumpster and carving sharp shadows on the Long Room wall.
    Movement. WAYANG KULIT: The Ancient Shadow Plays of Bali. Rats. A silent shuffling theatre along the dumpster's front edge. Ten wide, the line of vermin gleefully circulated thighs and breasts, wings and drumsticks. A feast of El Greco caricature was painted in shadows on the Long Room wall.
    Stumbling onto an old trick (used by Murnau, fascist propagandists, and Disney) the rodents' Walpurgis Night was projected, large and distorted, for all to see. Three-foot rat-shadows with oversized teeth and claws hunched over the drive-thru.
    I could see the lady in front of me waiting and watching, her head on a swivel. Chicken and biscuits / infestation and death. A bag of spicy cajun chicken was thrust out the drive-thru window into the night. Hesitant, a hand slowly reached out, accepted sustenance.
    I drove on.
    I will eat Popeye's again, and I sometimes do. Just not there.

Phhhhtttt. :P
    Sometimes, I think people visit a venue they know they will not like, in order to get some context (and click bait) for their weblog | social media.
    There will be no way they will receive a satifying experience. This jaunt is to absorb all the negative happenings they have experienced anywhere else in the past ## months. All their bile will spew forth on their description of this meal.
    Sadly, this is still effective. There will be any number of people who will pile on on his tale of woe from visiting this fast-service outlet, a number of whom have a connection to a competing higher-priced restaurant (which is seldom back-checked).
    So - I managed to visit this specific Popeye's store just before a satisfying visit to the adjacent Long Room Tavern, where select craft beer 12-oz. cans are only $4 on Sunday, and you don't have to put up with gridiron on televisions (and gambling “fantasy football” persons).
    I thought the Spicy Chicken sandwich was pretty good. I think the secret is the pickles included thereon. (Disclosure: When I order the Original Chicken sandwich from Burger King®, for which I typically have a coupon, I ask for extra pickles upon it, which Burger King is very used to doing.)
    Here are images of the sandwich. (N.B.2: That imagehost was O.K., but the entire W-WW site went off-line less than three weeks later. :( Let's try another imagehost.) Image Image Image Image
    Last edited by pudgym29 on December 30th, 2019, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #123 - December 6th, 2019, 10:27 am
    Post #123 - December 6th, 2019, 10:27 am Post #123 - December 6th, 2019, 10:27 am
    I finally tried the spicy chicken sandwich. It was definitely one of the better chicken sandwiches I've had at a fast food place. That being said, I probably won't order it again as it's not more appealing to me than chicken on the bone with biscuits at Popeye's.

I'd rather go for the KFC Colonel's crispy sandwich $5 fill up deal anyway. I tell them no mayo on it and then I put the FLG sauce on it with the pickles. Pretty tasty and it comes with a side, drink and cookie.
  • Post #124 - December 6th, 2019, 11:35 am
    Post #124 - December 6th, 2019, 11:35 am Post #124 - December 6th, 2019, 11:35 am
    Ram4 wrote:I finally tried the spicy chicken sandwich. It was definitely one of the better chicken sandwiches I've had at a fast food place. That being said, I probably won't order it again as it's not more appealing to me than chicken on the bone with biscuits at Popeye's.

I'd rather go for the KFC Colonel's crispy sandwich $5 fill up deal anyway. I tell them no mayo on it and then I put the FLG sauce on it with the pickles. Pretty tasty and it comes with a side, drink and cookie.

I agree, I much prefer the KFC Colonel's crispy chicken sandwich.
  • Post #125 - December 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm
    Post #125 - December 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm Post #125 - December 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm
    The Tribune recently tried and ranked 26 fried chicken sandwiches. Popeye's came in second. KFC was #9, #12, and #17.

Popeyes bringing back popular fried chicken sandwich. See where it ranks on our list.
  • Post #126 - November 9th, 2020, 11:19 am
    Post #126 - November 9th, 2020, 11:19 am Post #126 - November 9th, 2020, 11:19 am
    McDonald’s to launch crispy chicken sandwich to compete with Chick-fil-A and Popeye’s, as well as McPlant burger

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #127 - December 15th, 2020, 6:21 am
    Post #127 - December 15th, 2020, 6:21 am Post #127 - December 15th, 2020, 6:21 am
    Popeyes adds chocolate beignets to its menu.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/business ... index.html
  • Post #128 - January 8th, 2021, 12:38 pm
    Post #128 - January 8th, 2021, 12:38 pm Post #128 - January 8th, 2021, 12:38 pm
    KFC’s new fried chicken sandwich is bigger, crunchier and much better

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #129 - January 8th, 2021, 2:00 pm
    Post #129 - January 8th, 2021, 2:00 pm Post #129 - January 8th, 2021, 2:00 pm
    As noted in the article linked by Dave above, the new KFC offering would rank just above Popeyes, just below Chik-Fil-A.

Here are the earlier rankings by Kindelsperger in the Tribune:

The 15 best fried-chicken sandwiches in Chicago (independent restaurants)

The 26 best and worst fast-food fried-chicken sandwiches, ranked (fast-food restaurant chains)
  • Post #130 - January 8th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    Post #130 - January 8th, 2021, 9:51 pm Post #130 - January 8th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    One of the worst knock-off chicken sandwich is the new Sonic chicken slingers. It is a tiny knock-off of the Popeye's sandwich with very poor quality ingredients. It is not worth the $2.49.
  • Post #131 - January 9th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    Post #131 - January 9th, 2021, 12:32 pm Post #131 - January 9th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    Popeye's fried chicken sandwich has been the fast food hit of the year. Here is a compendium of new menu items at restaurant chains from Nation's Restaurant News. You will notice that many chains are now issuing a knock-off of the Popeye's sandwich.

https://www.nrn.com/menu/menu-tracker-n ... e43d0731bf

The problem with Popeye's fried chicken sandwich is that it is made by Popeye's. My first one was supposed to be spicy ... but I was given a regular one. The second one was fantastic . However, i ordered it at 10:30 am and it was made fresh. The last two or three have been mediocre. One of the real problems with Popeye's is the lack of effective quality control.
  • Post #132 - January 10th, 2021, 9:21 pm
    Post #132 - January 10th, 2021, 9:21 pm Post #132 - January 10th, 2021, 9:21 pm
    I did something goofy last week. I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich at Popeye's plus two biscuits. I discard the bun, cut the chicken in half and made two little chicken biscuit sandwiches. It wasn't bad but it reminded me that Popeye's boneless chicken filet and their tenders are not better than on the bone on their best day. Biscuits were dry and sort of bland as usual. I need to ask if I could get them to brush extra butter on mine next time. I would say I like their chicken sandwich but I won't miss it if I never order it again. On the other hand I am a big fan of the chicken biscuit sandwich (breakfast only so far) at Chick-Fil-A. I am going to try the new KFC sandwich soon (but to me the Colonel's Crispy sandwich was fine - if I would get - I still find it hard to not order chicken on the bone there).
  • Post #133 - January 11th, 2021, 10:44 am
    Post #133 - January 11th, 2021, 10:44 am Post #133 - January 11th, 2021, 10:44 am
    Ram4 wrote:I did something goofy last week. I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich at Popeye's plus two biscuits. I discard the bun, cut the chicken in half and made two little chicken biscuit sandwiches. It wasn't bad but it reminded me that Popeye's boneless chicken filet and their tenders are not better than on the bone on their best day. Biscuits were dry and sort of bland as usual. I need to ask if I could get them to brush extra butter on mine next time. I would say I like their chicken sandwich but I won't miss it if I never order it again. On the other hand I am a big fan of the chicken biscuit sandwich (breakfast only so far) at Chick-Fil-A. I am going to try the new KFC sandwich soon (but to me the Colonel's Crispy sandwich was fine - if I would get - I still find it hard to not order chicken on the bone there).

The irony of THAT. I don't it's a big reveal to note that the reason why the Popeye's chicken sando blew up so is that bun: it's brioche, and therefore has not a small amount of sugar in it. The sweetness is the fundamental difference between it and other fast food chicken sandwiches, and the likely reason why Americans have so raved about it.
  • Post #134 - January 11th, 2021, 11:03 am
    Post #134 - January 11th, 2021, 11:03 am Post #134 - January 11th, 2021, 11:03 am
    Interesting. I think the bun is the weak link. It's too big and too dense for the sandwich. It overwhelms. What I like about the spicy chicken sandwich is that it's a contiguous piece of chicken and it's actually spicy. I like the pickles, too.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #135 - January 11th, 2021, 11:57 am
    Post #135 - January 11th, 2021, 11:57 am Post #135 - January 11th, 2021, 11:57 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What I like about the spicy chicken sandwich is that it's a contiguous piece of chicken and it's actually spicy. I like the pickles, too.

What I also like about it is that it's a BIG piece of chicken and it's moist, not dried out, and the outside breading has a nice crunch. I thought the bun was just sort of there - not overwhelming, not noticeably sweet, but an okay way to hold the sandwich together, without being so small or thin that the sandwich falls apart.
  • Post #136 - January 11th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    Post #136 - January 11th, 2021, 2:36 pm Post #136 - January 11th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:As noted in the article linked by Dave above, the new KFC offering would rank just above Popeyes, just below Chik-Fil-A.

Here are the earlier rankings by Kindelsperger in the Tribune:

The 15 best fried-chicken sandwiches in Chicago (independent restaurants)

The 26 best and worst fast-food fried-chicken sandwiches, ranked (fast-food restaurant chains)

I tried the new KFC sandwich (spicy version) and agree it's in the same league as Popeyes and perhaps a notch ahead because of the latter's consistency challenges. I found it spicier and actually more aggressively sour, even mustard-y, with better pickles and a less sweet bun, though in this one data point the bun was clearly taken from the fridge and needed a moment to warm up.

The chicken itself was a dustier and more even fry, with each internal bite the same texture and doneness, where Popeyes is sometimes variably undercooked, knotty, or overly crunchy. However, the very best Popeyes prep has been more greasy-in-a-good way and homestyle. They just can't nail it every time; whether it's age or temp of oil, slightly dried-out bun, or overall execution, it's never consistent perfection even while a big notch up from the mass market chicken sandwiches of earlier decades.
  • Post #137 - January 11th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #137 - January 11th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #137 - January 11th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    chezbrad wrote:The irony of THAT. I don't it's a big reveal to note that the reason why the Popeye's chicken sando blew up so is that bun: it's brioche, and therefore has not a small amount of sugar in it. The sweetness is the fundamental difference between it and other fast food chicken sandwiches, and the likely reason why Americans have so raved about it.

I don't know if I'd agree. I've only had the sandwich twice, so far. First time, during the months of the craze I was finally able to get one and it was clearly just sitting back there behind the heat lamps as it was instantly handed to me. It wasn't particularly crispy except for the edge that overhung the bun, but the flavor of the chicken was good. Really damned good. I didn't notice the bun at all. And it had a decent amount of heat to it. At that time I said it was as good as a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, but I could see it being fantastic if it cooked to order.

The next time I had it I was in Phoenix, and stopped by to get a regular (non-spicy) sandwich to split with my wife. This time, the sandwich was just about orgasmic for a fast food chicken sandwich -- the chicken was cooked perfectly, juicy, large piece, and wonderfully crispy, yet still somehow light, exterior. It was everything I wanted a fast food chicken sandwich to be. Measuredly better than Chick-Fil-A (which is my fast food chicken sandwich standard bearer. And, yes, I've had Wendy's. While the chicken sandwich is my usual order at Wendy's, it's slightly behind Chick-Fil-A.)

For me, at least, it had nothing to do with the bun (and I also don't find it overbearing in ratio to the chicken -- I thought I would as I'm NOT a brioche bun fan, it usually being too dense and rich for my tastes. Theirs was on the lighter side of brioche.)

That Shake Shack chicken sandwich, though. That looks bonkers. One of these days I'll get there.
  • Post #138 - January 11th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Post #138 - January 11th, 2021, 6:50 pm Post #138 - January 11th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Interesting. I think the bun is the weak link. It's too big and too dense for the sandwich. It overwhelms. What I like about the spicy chicken sandwich is that it's a contiguous piece of chicken and it's actually spicy. I like the pickles, too.

=R=
    Ronnie, I thought both Popeye's sandwiches use the same mild chicken breast (easier to keep up with demand too) and simply add spicy sauce or regular mayo depending on your choice? Well either way, I don't see myself ordering another one anytime soon.

KFC here I come to try your version (although I don't think I'll do spicy - when I think KFC I don't think spicy.

Binko - Shake Shack has a great chicken sandwich (from what I remember). I only had it once so far.
  • Post #139 - January 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Post #139 - January 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm Post #139 - January 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Ronnie, I thought both Popeye's sandwiches use the same mild chicken breast (easier to keep up with demand too) and simply add spicy sauce or regular mayo depending on your choice? Well either way, I don't see myself ordering another one anytime soon.

Yeah, I think that's correct. Just meant to say that the overall sandwich packed a punch. Also, I agree with what others have posted about consistency issues at Popeye's, though. Like with a lot of fast food, the first Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich I had was the best one. After that, the others were decent but not at the same level. Maybe the novelty wore off but I think there was some QC slippage, too.

=R=
  • Post #140 - January 12th, 2021, 10:16 am
    Post #140 - January 12th, 2021, 10:16 am Post #140 - January 12th, 2021, 10:16 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Like with a lot of fast food, the first Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich I had was the best one. After that, the others were decent but not at the same level. Maybe the novelty wore off but I think there was some QC slippage, too.

=R=

I think that unless they were all from the same restaurant, Popeye's locations have a larger variance in quality than other fast food restaurant chains.

In regards to the Shake Shack Chick'n sandwich, they are currently promoting a limited time Korean-style Chick'n sandwich with gochujang glaze and kimchi slaw. I would say the flavor was comparable to the Crisp Korean BBQ sauced chicken, and while the piece of chicken was juicier than the Crisp Not So Common sandwich, the size of the chicken breast filet was definitely much smaller in portion size.
  • Post #141 - January 12th, 2021, 10:53 am
    Post #141 - January 12th, 2021, 10:53 am Post #141 - January 12th, 2021, 10:53 am
    lodasi wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Like with a lot of fast food, the first Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich I had was the best one. After that, the others were decent but not at the same level. Maybe the novelty wore off but I think there was some QC slippage, too.

I think that unless they were all from the same restaurant, Popeye's locations have a larger variance in quality than other fast food restaurant chains.

Fwiw, my experiences were all at the same store, California & Diversey.

=R=
  • Post #142 - January 12th, 2021, 1:08 pm
    Post #142 - January 12th, 2021, 1:08 pm Post #142 - January 12th, 2021, 1:08 pm
    I tried the Shake Shack Korean sandwich. I thought it was quite good, though sweeter than I would prefer. It was crunchy with some definite kimchi overtones and a hint of spicyness. I have only had their other chicken sandwich once before, but from my memory of it, this sandwich was no smaller. I’m sure that there are variations in size from sandwich to sandwich.

From my limited experience, I would order this sandwich over the standard one.
  • Post #143 - January 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm
    Post #143 - January 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm Post #143 - January 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm
    Based on the reporting above, I went to KFC for the first time in decades.
    I ordered the chicken sandwich combo, Nashville Hot, with a Pepsi.
    I see no need to go back. Ever. Pepsi, just no. The fries were basically room temperature and are they supposed to have some kind of flavor? They didn't.
    The piece of chicken was fine. Tender, juicy and could've been warmer.
    The coating was okay. Nowhere near as good as Popeyes.
    Now, about that Nashville Hot part. Yeah, MIA. Maybe I got regular, old, plain vanilla type chicken instead? I mean, that "Nashville Hot" would be Budlong's worst nightmare. I should file a lawsuit for slander or something. If that truly was their version of Nashville Hot, they should be embarrassed.
  • Post #144 - January 12th, 2021, 4:00 pm
    Post #144 - January 12th, 2021, 4:00 pm Post #144 - January 12th, 2021, 4:00 pm
    hoppy2468 wrote:Based on the reporting above, I went to KFC for the first time in decades.
    I see no need to go back. Ever. Pepsi, just no. The fries were basically room temperature and are they supposed to have some kind of flavor? They didn't.
    Now, about that Nashville Hot part. Yeah, MIA. Maybe I got regular, old, plain vanilla type chicken instead? I mean, that "Nashville Hot" would be Budlong's worst nightmare. I should file a lawsuit for slander or something. If that truly was their version of Nashville Hot, they should be embarrassed.
    I didn't even know you could get the new sandwich with Nashville Hot but most people could've told you that KFC's Nashville Hot is not "hot" or anything special. You should've gotten just the sandwich as is which is what KFC is known for (they are not known for spicy). The new fries are lousy. I'm still going to try the new sandwich out of curiosity.
  • Post #145 - January 12th, 2021, 4:45 pm
    Post #145 - January 12th, 2021, 4:45 pm Post #145 - January 12th, 2021, 4:45 pm
    hoppy2468 wrote:Based on the reporting above, I went to KFC for the first time in decades.

Sounds like you got the pre-existing chicken sandwich, which can be ordered in their variety of finishes. The new item is called the "New KFC Chicken Sandwich" and is still only at a few locations as Nick mentioned in the Trib, and available just in regular or hot. Mine was had in Oak Park on Madison.

That they recently (corporately) turned wedges back into fries is unforgivable, and but for this new devilry I would not have not had returned.
  • Post #146 - January 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm
    Post #146 - January 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Post #146 - January 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm
    Several comments:

1) Against my better judgement, I went to KFC today and purchased the new fried chicken sandwich. We have lived here for seven years and I do not remember going to KFC before. I ordered the spicy version and wanted to see what I was going to get.

The bun was solid. It was nothing special but was at least solid and sufficient for the sandwich, unlike the one at Chick-fil-a which I find to be underwhelming. I thought that the portion of chicken was pretty weak for a sandwich that set me back $4.75. While the chicken had a crispy breading, it was nearly flavorless. All the taste came from the copious amounts of hot sauce (similar to Franks) that was the main feature of the sandwich. I could make a better sandwich than that in my air fryer ... maybe because I did on Sunday for dinner.

2) I like the Popeye's bun because it holds up against the sandwich. I am tired of paying a lot for a sandwich like a hamburger at Five Guys and having it served on a bun I could have bought at the discount, el cheapo bakery rack at Krogers for $0.69. One bite into the sandwich and you are wearing it.

I guess that since I am getting into this, my next stop for a chicken sandwich will be the Whatachick'n at Whataburger and the Spicy Chicken Sandwich at Church's.
  • Post #147 - January 13th, 2021, 11:35 am
    Post #147 - January 13th, 2021, 11:35 am Post #147 - January 13th, 2021, 11:35 am
    Sounds like you got the pre-existing chicken sandwich, which can be ordered in their variety of finishes. The new item is called the "New KFC Chicken Sandwich" and is still only at a few locations as Nick mentioned in the Trib, and available just in regular or hot. Mine was had in Oak Park on Madison.

That they recently (corporately) turned wedges back into fries is unforgivable, and but for this new devilry I would not have not had returned.

Okay thanks. That explains it. My misteak.
  • Post #148 - January 13th, 2021, 11:44 am
    Post #148 - January 13th, 2021, 11:44 am Post #148 - January 13th, 2021, 11:44 am
    hoppy2468 wrote: That explains it. My misteak.

I thought it was chicken.
  • Post #149 - January 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    Post #149 - January 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm Post #149 - January 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    According to The Takeout, Popeye's has removed Cajun rice and green beans from its list of side dishes.

The rice was my #2 choice, after the beloved onion rings. If they 86 those, that place will likely be dead to me.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #150 - January 29th, 2021, 2:30 pm
    Post #150 - January 29th, 2021, 2:30 pm Post #150 - January 29th, 2021, 2:30 pm
    JoelF wrote:According to The Takeout, Popeye's has removed Cajun rice and green beans from its list of side dishes.

The rice was my #2 choice, after the beloved onion rings. If they 86 those, that place will likely be dead to me.

I lived in NOLA in the early 1980's and "grew up" on Popeyes. Keeping in mind that nothing at Popeyes is as good as it was back then, this news is still a bit of a bummer. Cajun rice (nee dirty rice) used to be one of my favorite items there. The red beans and rice used to be another favorite but they've stepped on the recipe so many times, it smells like a sharpy marker these days.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more