LTH Home

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 8
  • Post #91 - August 30th, 2019, 6:50 am
    Post #91 - August 30th, 2019, 6:50 am Post #91 - August 30th, 2019, 6:50 am
    Even the Wall Street Journal is raving about chicken sandwich madness, reporting on Popeye's outage and Twitter trolling, Chik-fil-A's claims of being there first, and McD's rush to join the race with a 'category-leading sandwich.'

Of course WSJ's focus is on financials, with CfA having huge growth in number of stores (passing up Subway in the US) and Popeye's showing significant growth too.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #92 - August 30th, 2019, 10:32 am
    Post #92 - August 30th, 2019, 10:32 am Post #92 - August 30th, 2019, 10:32 am
    Then there's this....
    https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/tennessee-man-sues-popeyes-over-fruitless-hunt-for-sold-out-chicken-sandwich
  • Post #93 - August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm
    Post #93 - August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm Post #93 - August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm
    The guy would have been better off using the time for a nice relaxing mani-pedi.
  • Post #94 - August 31st, 2019, 1:49 pm
    Post #94 - August 31st, 2019, 1:49 pm Post #94 - August 31st, 2019, 1:49 pm
    mkess wrote: The 5248 W. Belmont location gets my business for a decent fast food fix. The Popeye's app has an ever present special for $7.99, which gets you 5pc chicken, 2 sides and 2 biscuits. The onion rings are always dropped when ordered.
    Hmmm. :?
    This entree combination is one that is included on the paper sheet of coupons I previously mentioned (which I have).
    But the coupon price is $8.99. :shock:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #95 - August 31st, 2019, 5:42 pm
    Post #95 - August 31st, 2019, 5:42 pm Post #95 - August 31st, 2019, 5:42 pm

Obviously, this guy has a problem that goes way beyond a chicken sandwich, but it's also clear that the Popeye's people are messing with us and creating a false shortage to strengthen demand.

Last week, I got off the Green Line at State/Lake, and thought I'd check out the Popeye's on Wabash, maybe get one of the famous sandwiches (and yes, I am a little embarrassed to admit that). In front, by the street, sitting on the pavement, was a guy with a sign, which I didn't read. The guy shouted to me as I went in, "Can you please get me a combo meal, extra hot, all white meat," or something like that. I thought he had an interesting approach to panhandling, being so specific about his request, but, like the chicken shortage, just another marketing initiative that may or may not work.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #96 - October 28th, 2019, 6:30 am
    Post #96 - October 28th, 2019, 6:30 am Post #96 - October 28th, 2019, 6:30 am
    Popeyes fried chicken sandwich coming back Nov. 3

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #97 - October 28th, 2019, 6:42 am
    Post #97 - October 28th, 2019, 6:42 am Post #97 - October 28th, 2019, 6:42 am
    Dave148 wrote:

It was actually so popular that nationwide supplies were depleted and they pulled it from the menu...

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/27/2083578 ... -from-menu

B182D6B0-50F6-4C37-A19E-A28DC517BDE4.jpeg
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #98 - October 28th, 2019, 7:26 am
    Post #98 - October 28th, 2019, 7:26 am Post #98 - October 28th, 2019, 7:26 am
    Dave148 wrote:

Reports that I read were that one large franchisee will get it on that date (about 150 stores nationwide), and about two weeks later for the rest of the stores.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #99 - October 28th, 2019, 7:40 am
    Post #99 - October 28th, 2019, 7:40 am Post #99 - October 28th, 2019, 7:40 am
    I also read that Popeye's Pumpkin (hand) pie is delicious, since it's fried like the old McDonalds pies were before they changed over to baked.

https://thetakeout.com/review-popeyes-p ... 1839360040
  • Post #100 - October 30th, 2019, 11:22 am
    Post #100 - October 30th, 2019, 11:22 am Post #100 - October 30th, 2019, 11:22 am
    Nice marketing dig at Chick-Fil-A once again with coming back on a Sunday jab. I also saw on Facebook a little ad showing a guy on a highway sign adding the words OPEN SUNDAY on the Popeye's sign which happens to be right next to the Chick-Fil-A sign that says CLOSED SUNDAY. :lol: I've been burned a few times wanting Chick-Fil-A before realizing it was Sunday, so no chicken biscuit for me. I know it's pipe dream, but maybe I'll mention this to Popeye's. Put the new chicken sandwich on a special large biscuit. Boom.
  • Post #101 - November 1st, 2019, 4:19 pm
    Post #101 - November 1st, 2019, 4:19 pm Post #101 - November 1st, 2019, 4:19 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

Reports that I read were that one large franchisee will get it on that date (about 150 stores nationwide), and about two weeks later for the rest of the stores.

The Oak Park Popeye's had the sandwiches available today, Friday November 1.

The offering was consistent in quality with Summer Sandwich Swoon / Sarnaggedon 2019: perfectly fresh brioche bun with the lightly caramelized edges, abundant mildly-brined pickles, assertive creamy sauce, and a moist piece of bird with a crackly breaded corona with all of the right textures as one dug in.

Particularly impressive in the summer and now, this doesn't taste like a mass market fast food sandwich: it doesn't taste like burned-through or worn out oil, off flavors my palate picks up everywhere to the point I can barely (pine for me) eat at (for example) the Chick-fil-A on Harlem and 22 or the Culver's on Roosevelt because I just get little bursts of rancidity and formaldehyde in everything. Moreover, in a life of commercial chicken sandwiches from the first McChicken onward (always with a cup of Sweet and Sour sauce), there is almost always one inedible corner of the patty or stale part of the bun. Like, even with the HQ-proximate QC of the Chick-fil-A locations in Atlanta, there's one too-thick or too-crusty or too-soggy part of the sandwich. I'm just never compelled to eat the whole thing.

But the Popeye's sandwich, she wants you to eat all of it. And down it goes, preciousssss.

I was thinking while eating it that this current Popeye's effort is a clear notch up from The Budlong (another recent datapoint, nothing wrong per se, just not meritorious, non-complex garlic and sugar aftertaste, overall pretty bland while eating), at just about any pricepoint. Whether this is a social boon or not, I'm just not sure.

But there you have it, they've made a fully edible fast food sandwich. And the Dixieland jazz is playing on the backlit bayous of your (deliciously) fried motor cortex. Watch out for them gators.
  • Post #102 - November 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm
    Post #102 - November 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm Post #102 - November 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm
    Yikes! :shock: Turns out it might be safer to wait,wait,wait,in the drive-thru after all.

Man stabbed to death in Maryland Popeyes after altercation over chicken sandwich, police say
    The nationwide frenzy over a fried chicken sandwich just ended with a murder in our backyard. The deadly stabbing happened Monday inside a Popeyes in Prince George's County.
  • Post #103 - November 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm
    Post #103 - November 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm Post #103 - November 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm
    Artie wrote:Yikes! :shock: Turns out it might be safer to wait,wait,wait,in the drive-thru after all.

Man stabbed to death in Maryland Popeyes after altercation over chicken sandwich, police say
    The nationwide frenzy over a fried chicken sandwich just ended with a murder in our backyard. The deadly stabbing happened Monday inside a Popeyes in Prince George's County.

The actual moral of the story is that if someone cuts in front of you in the sandwich line- let them.
  • Post #104 - November 6th, 2019, 9:33 am
    Post #104 - November 6th, 2019, 9:33 am Post #104 - November 6th, 2019, 9:33 am
    I think the altercation was over cutting in the line, not over the sandwich itself. Personally I was hoping it was a duel to the death for the sandwich. :twisted:
  • Post #105 - November 11th, 2019, 9:12 am
    Post #105 - November 11th, 2019, 9:12 am Post #105 - November 11th, 2019, 9:12 am
    Love that chicken at Popeye's
    The incident spilled over into the parking lot where an employee "body slamed" the female
    https://www.facebook.com/sean.lisco/vid ... 793336327/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #106 - November 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm
    Post #106 - November 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm Post #106 - November 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm
    Thinking Popeye's fried chicken sandwich but snowy and slippery, plus I did not want to get stabbed, body slammed or wait in a long line. Solution, roll my own. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking #nobabycorn #getstabby

PopP3.jpg Fried Chicken Sandwich, #homecooking

PopP2.jpg Fried Chicken Sandwich, #homecooking

PopP1.jpg Fried Chicken Sandwich, #homecooking

Fried Chicken Sandwich, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #107 - November 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    Post #107 - November 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm Post #107 - November 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Thinking Popeye's fried chicken sandwich but snowy and slippery, plus I did not want to get stabbed, body slammed or wait in a long line. Solution, roll my own. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking #nobabycorn #getstabby

PopP3.jpg

PopP2.jpg

PopP1.jpg

And it looks like you used thighs!! Bravo!
  • Post #108 - November 11th, 2019, 6:20 pm
    Post #108 - November 11th, 2019, 6:20 pm Post #108 - November 11th, 2019, 6:20 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Thinking Popeye's fried chicken sandwich but snowy and slippery, plus I did not want to get stabbed, body slammed or wait in a long line. Solution, roll my own.

Looks great, Gary! I wish you'd called. I was alone at my desk eating leftovers for lunch today. :cry:

Here's another nice-looking DIY take on the chicken sandwich from Joshua Weissman . . .

Joshua Weissman's Fried Chicken Sandwich

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #109 - November 11th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    Post #109 - November 11th, 2019, 7:30 pm Post #109 - November 11th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Thinking Popeye's fried chicken sandwich but snowy and slippery, plus I did not want to get stabbed, body slammed or wait in a long line. Solution, roll my own. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking #nobabycorn #getstabby

PopP3.jpg

PopP2.jpg

PopP1.jpg

Of the Popeye's product, the pickles are a key. What kind did you use?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #110 - November 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm
    Post #110 - November 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm Post #110 - November 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm
    I finally took my life in my hands and made a pilgrimage to my local Popeye's for their mystical spicy chicken sammie. No body slamming, no fights, only a 20 minute wait in the drive-thru line which was tolerable. My minute drive back home was in a car filled with yum scent.

I have to say, yes...nearly the best fast food sandwich I have consumed, and if you saw me...I have consumed plenty. Even the voyage home didn't destroy the crunch of my spicy (but not spicy enough for me) sandwich. Simple, decent brioche bun, ample size piece of crispy, crunchy bird, a couple of pickles, a small smear of whatever...but perfectly balanced in every way. Fine dining? Oh heck no, but for $6.00 it was good enough to make me at least think about when my next trip could be.
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #111 - November 11th, 2019, 8:38 pm
    Post #111 - November 11th, 2019, 8:38 pm Post #111 - November 11th, 2019, 8:38 pm
    JoelF wrote:Of the Popeye's product, the pickles are a key. What kind did you use?
    Refrigerated Claussen Kosher Dill Pickle, whole sliced to size. Same as I use on Oklahoma Onion Burgers They are my go-to pickle as of late.

Plus, as WhyBeeSea points out, chicken thighs.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #112 - November 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm
    Post #112 - November 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm Post #112 - November 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here's another nice-looking DIY take on the chicken sandwich from Joshua Weissman . . .
    Good video, I liked the guy, subscribed. Nice use of black garlic. Guy obviously knows how to cook and no fake southern drawl dump recipe bullshit.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #113 - November 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    Post #113 - November 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm Post #113 - November 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here's another nice-looking DIY take on the chicken sandwich from Joshua Weissman . . .
    Good video, I liked the guy, subscribed. Nice use of black garlic. Guy obviously knows how to cook and no fake southern drawl dump recipe bullshit.

Yeah, I've been enjoying his channel. Seems like an earnest, talented, hard-working kid. Until recently, he was a cook at Uchiko, a top restaurant in Austin, TX. He quit recently to pursue youtubing full-time.

I still think your chili oil recipe blows his recipe away, though. :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #114 - November 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm
    Post #114 - November 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm Post #114 - November 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm
    I am a big fan of Kenji’s kimchi brined deep fried chicken sandwich.

www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/07/kim ... ecipe.html
  • Post #115 - November 12th, 2019, 6:49 pm
    Post #115 - November 12th, 2019, 6:49 pm Post #115 - November 12th, 2019, 6:49 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I am a big fan of Kenji’s kimchi brined deep fried chicken sandwich.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019 ... ecipe.html

I'll have to try that one.

I've made a good number of chicken sandwiches at home and, while they are all delicious, I have yet to hit that light, yet perfectly delicate crust I seek. Popeye's is a perfect example. I've not had this current sandwich, but I've had the poboy, and that's the type of crust I'm looking for. Crispy, yet delicate. Double dredging gives me plenty crispy, but too heavy a breading I'm looking for. It's delicious; it makes an impressive audible crunch that's great for Youtube, but it's not what I want.

Meanwhile, single dredging gets much closer, but doesn't quite get the crispness I'm looking for. (And, yes, I do the trick where you put some liquid into the breading to have it clump up and create delicious some nooks & crannies.) This method is much, much closer to what I'm looking for, but it falls slightly short on the crispness front. I'm wondering if I just need to sub out some of the flour with corn starch (or other starch). Any ideas?
  • Post #116 - November 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm
    Post #116 - November 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm Post #116 - November 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm
    Binko wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:I am a big fan of Kenji’s kimchi brined deep fried chicken sandwich.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019 ... ecipe.html

I'll have to try that one.

I've made a good number of chicken sandwiches at home and, while they are all delicious, I have yet to hit that light, yet perfectly delicate crust I seek. Popeye's is a perfect example. I've not had this current sandwich, but I've had the poboy, and that's the type of crust I'm looking for. Crispy, yet delicate. Double dredging gives me plenty crispy, but too heavy a breading I'm looking for. It's delicious; it makes an impressive audible crunch that's great for Youtube, but it's not what I want.

Meanwhile, single dredging gets much closer, but doesn't quite get the crispness I'm looking for. (And, yes, I do the trick where you put some liquid into the breading to have it clump up and create delicious some nooks & crannies.) This method is much, much closer to what I'm looking for, but it falls slightly short on the crispness front. I'm wondering if I just need to sub out some of the flour with corn starch (or other starch). Any ideas?

Corn starch, rice or potato flour would provide crunchiness. Mess around with the ratios and you can find a good balance of what you prefer.
  • Post #117 - November 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    Post #117 - November 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm Post #117 - November 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Corn starch, rice or potato flour would provide crunchiness. Mess around with the ratios and you can find a good balance of what you prefer.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking for the next batch of experiments. I have all three in the house, so not too difficult to do.
  • Post #118 - November 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm
    Post #118 - November 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm Post #118 - November 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Corn starch, rice or potato flour would provide crunchiness. Mess around with the ratios and you can find a good balance of what you prefer.

Binko wrote:Yeah, that's what I was thinking for the next batch of experiments. I have all three in the house, so not too difficult to do. // I have yet to hit that light, yet perfectly delicate crust I seek.

Wee bit of baking powder gives lift.

I typically go 80/20 flour to one the three mentioned, typically corn starch as that is the most handy. Whether frying chicken for sandwich or on-bone out of hand always brine, typically buttermilk but I've been known to go far afield. Light rinse, dredge and then, importantly, 30-40 minute rest in the fridge before frying.

Depending on my mood, and how much I want to futz with the chicken, I will go three part breading, slurry or a simple single flour dredge, sometimes with droplets of brine added for nooks and crannies. Important, transfer to a wire rack after frying to prevent steaming.

PopP24.jpg Fried chicken sandwich, ducks in a row
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #119 - November 12th, 2019, 10:10 pm
    Post #119 - November 12th, 2019, 10:10 pm Post #119 - November 12th, 2019, 10:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote: Light rinse, dredge and then, importantly, 30-40 minute rest in the fridge before frying.

Oh, I haven't tried resting the chicken before throwing it into the oil. Another procedural point to experiment with....
  • Post #120 - November 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm
    Post #120 - November 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm Post #120 - November 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm
    I stopped at Popeye's this afternoon for lunch as I was in a hurry to get home. I ordered the spicy chicken sandwich. The sandwich that I received today was the chicken on a brioche bun with no sauce or pickles - just chicken and bun. Honestly, it was very good and was one of the best fast food chicken sandwiches. However, it was not really what I thought I had ordered. In addition, they did not give me a receipt which makes complaining a lot more difficult.

One of the reasons that I have always shied away from Popeye's is the lack of consistency. Some of the locations in Chicago were pretty good; however, the one in Woodstock near my former residence was absolutely poor.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more