Yamon Jerk Grill
    Ethiopian Diamond 2

Devon is indeed nearby, especially:

Tea Leaf Garden
    Hyderabad House
    Khan BBQ
  • Post #92 - June 24th, 2019, 7:28 pm
    Post #92 - June 24th, 2019, 7:28 pm Post #92 - June 24th, 2019, 7:28 pm
    Thank you for the tip and link to the review on El Sabor Poblano. Now intend to stop there in the near future.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #93 - June 24th, 2019, 7:36 pm
    Post #93 - June 24th, 2019, 7:36 pm Post #93 - June 24th, 2019, 7:36 pm
    Thanks all for the tips -- looking forward to checking them out!
  • Post #94 - June 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm
    Post #94 - June 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm Post #94 - June 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm
    A few more:
    Sol Cafe- good coffee and lunch.
    Badou-Senegalese
    Archie’s: Coffee and Pastries
    Libanais: Lebanese
    Devon Market: homemade frozen pelmeni in the small freezer in front of the butcher. Cook at home.
    Peppercorns: Szechuan in Evanston.
    Hewn: bread
    Red hot chili pepper: indo-Chinese in Evanston
  • Post #95 - June 24th, 2019, 9:25 pm
    Post #95 - June 24th, 2019, 9:25 pm Post #95 - June 24th, 2019, 9:25 pm
    Tamales Lo Mejor De Guerrero on Clark has great pork tamales and pozole.

Onward near loyola red line stop just recently opened and is owned by a former owner of Grace. Never been but meaning to swing by

Thinking about places in this area really make me miss the 2nd outpost of ATK
  • Post #96 - June 25th, 2019, 12:13 am
    Post #96 - June 25th, 2019, 12:13 am Post #96 - June 25th, 2019, 12:13 am
    bw77 wrote:Thank you for the tip and link to the review on El Sabor Poblano.

That’s one thing you can’t get done well near Rogers Park.
  • Post #97 - June 25th, 2019, 8:26 am
    Post #97 - June 25th, 2019, 8:26 am Post #97 - June 25th, 2019, 8:26 am
    scottsol wrote:

Not since Jared left town, anyway.
  • Post #98 - June 25th, 2019, 11:31 am
    Post #98 - June 25th, 2019, 11:31 am Post #98 - June 25th, 2019, 11:31 am
    scottsol wrote:

Hilarious!
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #99 - December 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm
    Post #99 - December 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm Post #99 - December 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm
    We've been Rogers Park residents for 2+ months now, and are really enjoying the local eats. A quick rundown of our favorites:

R Public House: We live only a couple blocks away, and this has become our go-to neighborhood spot. Elevated pub fare by a chef with an actual name (not a cook who throws frozen stuff in a microwave), tasty rotating specials, fantastic beer and liquor list, awesome brick oven pizzas and great community spirit.

Anto Pizza and Pasta: I've only been to this BYOB pizza place once, but can't wait to return....I'm still dreaming about the slice of ricotta and zucchini pizza I had.

YaMon: As I posted in the YaMon thread, my husband is a Jamaican food fanatic. He's now been here twice, I've been here once, we both loved it. Who would have thunk that jerk chicken tacos could be so awesome?

Union Pizza (Evanston): Notice that I've mentioned pizza at three times now? Never would I have imagined. I've lived in Chicago for 31 years and I'm not a fan of most local pizza. So the fact I've eaten pizza at multiple places multiple times in the last two months is astonishing. I'm sure there are some years I've gone 12 straight months without eating any pizza. Also, Union Pizza's mussels and their salads rock. No reservations, so go early or expect a wait.

El Sabor Poblano: That mole! Those tortillas! The warm and welcoming service! If I lived within walking distance, I'd be talking about how much mole I'd eaten in the last two months, instead of talking about how much pizza I'm eating.

Libanais (Lincolnwood): I've only gotten delivery from Libanais, but wow. Having lived in the Middle East and London, I'd like to think I know good Lebanese from bad, and this was awesome. Can't wait to check it out in person.

Income Tax (Edgewater): Been twice now. Love the small plates, love the flavor combinations, love the vibe.

Peckish Pig: The statute of limitations has expired, so I can now publicly admit that I drank underage at PM Club on Howard back in the 1980s. If you'd told me then that, approaching my 50s, I'd be dining out with friends at a gastropub/microbrewery across the street, my reaction probably would have been, "What's a gastropub?" But seriously, we love PP for a quick lunch at the bar or a grazing dinner with friends. Just introduced it to a couple West Loopers who know their way around Chicago's restaurants and they adored it.
  • Post #100 - July 15th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #100 - July 15th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #100 - July 15th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    chgoeditor wrote:Anto Pizza and Pasta: I've only been to this BYOB pizza place once, but can't wait to return....I'm still dreaming about the slice of ricotta and zucchini pizza I had.

I'll add a shout-out to Anto Pizza and Pasta. We celebrated Mr. X's birthday there last night after a quick celebratory drink beforehand at Rogers Park Social. I called ahead to make a reservation on the back patio for our group of 7. We ended up doing family style. Appetizers included fried calamari (delicious!), arancini (good), Italian fries (the one I had was good) and the special of fried squash blossoms. These were perfectly prepared, though I was surprised that they were just the blossoms. No filling. For the next course, we ordered a chicken parmigiano, ricotta/pistachio ravioli and two thin crust pizzas (Margherita and roasted potato and cheese). I thought the ravioli was fantastic. We finished with tiramisu and a flourless chocolate cake and all were happy. Service was great and BYO is always a plus.

Anto Pizza and Pasta
    1547 W Jarvis
    Chicago, IL 60626
    773-942-6964
    https://antopizza.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #101 - July 16th, 2021, 8:22 pm
    Post #101 - July 16th, 2021, 8:22 pm Post #101 - July 16th, 2021, 8:22 pm
    We're still loving Rogers Park. My list above still stands but a few more spots to add both on and around RP:

The quesabirria guy on Touhy by the AutoZone parking lot: Never did I imagine that a guy who throws a tent up on the sidewalk would be my go-to for a quesabirria, but he rocks. I want to try his tamales but every time I go he tells me he sold out.

Paleteria Las Delicias de Michoacán: Every couple weeks we throw a cooler in the car and buy a dozen popsicles from this spot. I discovered the when entertaining in the summer, Mexican popsicles make a fantastic dessert, plus we managed to finish the rest of them off in between dinner parties. I am a fan of the passion fruit and strawberry kiwi, my husband loves the strawberry and cream, and raspberry and cheese. Pina colada is also excellent, but mango chili is a little too spicy for me.

Caribbean American Baking Co.: YaMon has been closed recently, but hopefully not for good. This is now our go-to spot for Jamaican patties, then on a weekly basis we usually have an assortment of beef, jerk chicken and curry chicken patties in the fridge. Reheated they make great lunch.

Bat 17: We had been meaning to get here for years, and finally got here an early July. I regret not going earlier. I love the Roxy sandwich, and their onions strings are amazing.
  • Post #102 - July 19th, 2021, 10:19 am
    Post #102 - July 19th, 2021, 10:19 am Post #102 - July 19th, 2021, 10:19 am
    I live on Lunt, in West Rogers Park, and for the last 20 years I have been desperately looking for a decent Sichuan or Vietnamese restaurant no farther than 6 or 7 minutes away by car. For Vietnamese my regular eatery has been for more than a quarter of a century Hoanh Long at 6148 N. Lincoln a very spacious, nice, clean, and consistently good, family owned sino-vietnamese place . But it is not in Rogers Park per se. Some of my favorite dishes there are a very good Pho Ga (chicken), the Cochinchine or Singapore Noodles, the great spicy shrimps in lemongrass sauce, the chicken or beef in their own Hoanh Long spicy sauce.

Closer to home (about 5 minutes by car, is 2 Lanterns Cafe, at 3900 W. Touhy. it is located in Lincolnwood, and is better known as a "carry out" that has only 3 tables. It has become one of my favorite "pan-asian" eatery in Chicago. Jenny, the owner, hostess, and chef, who was born in Cambodia, is a very competent cook who is able to create great flavors in simple but well composed Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and Cambodian influenced dishes. She uses essentially fresh meat and vegetable ingredients, and is very good at balancing them harmoniously with spices and herbs. Besides she has a very pleasant and jovial personality and would do anything to accommodate your tastes and special requirements.
    I also love her very comforting rice-noodle chicken soup, basil chicken, and lemongrass chicken stew.
    Once again it is not located in Rogers Park per se but is very close. I go there once a week.
    And of course, but it is in Evanston, The Peppercorn Kitchen, a reliable Sichuan restaurant on Davis St, is always there.
  • Post #103 - February 3rd, 2022, 8:23 am
    Post #103 - February 3rd, 2022, 8:23 am Post #103 - February 3rd, 2022, 8:23 am
    Wild Onion Market Co-Op Will Take Over Closed Rogers Park Grocery Store, Seek To Open By Early Next Year

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/02/03 ... next-year/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #104 - February 5th, 2022, 5:57 pm
    Post #104 - February 5th, 2022, 5:57 pm Post #104 - February 5th, 2022, 5:57 pm
    Does anybody here belong to the Wild Onion food coop? They are leasing the store for ten years, but they are trying to raise $1 million dollars to convert the store. Why would anybody spend that much money on a store that they don't own? The idea of a coop sounds good, but the problem is that the store is only going to be 6,000 sq. ft., and I don't see how they can compete price wise with Whole Foods once the store opens up. I am sure Whole Foods would be able to purchase stuff a lot cheaper, because they can buy it in huge volumes. At least 25% of the produce at the coop will be local.
  • Post #105 - February 5th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    Post #105 - February 5th, 2022, 10:10 pm Post #105 - February 5th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    NFriday wrote:Does anybody here belong to the Wild Onion food coop? They are leasing the store for ten years, but they are trying to raise $1 million dollars to convert the store. Why would anybody spend that much money on a store that they don't own?

Can't speak specifically to grocery store space, but I work in corporate real estate and we routinely spend large amounts to renovate space that we lease. With the infrastructure involved $1M doesn't shock me in the least. They may be getting some improvement allowance or rent abatements from the landlord as well.
  • Post #106 - February 6th, 2022, 12:00 am
    Post #106 - February 6th, 2022, 12:00 am Post #106 - February 6th, 2022, 12:00 am
    The previous grocery store that last leased the space, left all of their refrigerators and freezers, and so that is why the space was appealing to the COOP. They looked at the space a few years ago and considered it, but then it went off the market, and they seriously considered another location in Rogers Park, but that deal fell through, but the space at 7007 N. Clark became available again, and they decided to grab it. Now they just have to raise $1 million dollars by May, which will not be easy.
  • Post #107 - February 10th, 2022, 12:21 pm
    Post #107 - February 10th, 2022, 12:21 pm Post #107 - February 10th, 2022, 12:21 pm
    NFriday wrote:Does anybody here belong to the Wild Onion food coop? They are leasing the store for ten years, but they are trying to raise $1 million dollars to convert the store. Why would anybody spend that much money on a store that they don't own? The idea of a coop sounds good, but the problem is that the store is only going to be 6,000 sq. ft., and I don't see how they can compete price wise with Whole Foods once the store opens up. I am sure Whole Foods would be able to purchase stuff a lot cheaper, because they can buy it in huge volumes. At least 25% of the produce at the coop will be local.

I am. I don't think the purpose of the co-op is to compete with Whole Foods on price. I refer you to the text on their website for an explanation: "We’re building a place to shop that keeps dollars local, employs folks who live here, sells honest food, and supports a transparent supply chain. All across the US co-ops just like ours are forming and growing – filled with Owners who are re-shaping the way we buy groceries and redefining how we work together as a community. Cooperation is the future – Join us."
  • Post #108 - February 10th, 2022, 4:27 pm
    Post #108 - February 10th, 2022, 4:27 pm Post #108 - February 10th, 2022, 4:27 pm
    Reminds me of the market wars of about 20 years ago when Wild Oats was the young upstart about a mile or so north on Clark in Evanston. Wild Onion will stir the pop, make a dent for a while and then the others will adapt and drive them out of business well before their 10-year lease is up. Ambitious but now even Mariano's and Jewel can source locally during the growing season.
  • Post #109 - February 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm
    Post #109 - February 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm Post #109 - February 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm
    Yes, Jewel, Mariano's and Whole Foods carry some local produce in the summertime, but the problem is that they only want to deal with factory farmers that can supply all of their stores with corn or tomatoes. They will not deal with farmers that only have 100-200 farms, and that is why those smaller farmers are forced to sell at the farmer's market. Henry Brockman said he asked Whole Foods about the possibility of selling some of his produce to them, with the stipulation that he wanted to deliver the produce to one of the Evanston stores. He was told that he would have to deliver his produce to their warehouse, and then of course they want perfect produce too, instead of slightly imperfect produce that Henry often has. People like Henry would be able to sell his produce to the food coop. I can't see myself going out of my way to purchase produce there though, when I can walk to the Evanston market, and get it directly from the grower.

It is my understanding that they used to have a food coop somewhere in Rogers Park. A friend of mine used to manage it, but he told me that people often complained that they could get stuff cheaper elsewhere.

Ann Arbor used to have two food coop locations, but I heard when Whole Foods came to town, they were forced to close one of the locations.

I remember when the People's Market opened up on Chicago Avenue, and they had price wars with Whole Foods. Finally, after about 3-4 months Whole Foods quit trying to compete with the People's Market price wise.
  • Post #110 - February 11th, 2022, 6:41 pm
    Post #110 - February 11th, 2022, 6:41 pm Post #110 - February 11th, 2022, 6:41 pm
    NFriday wrote:Yes, Jewel, Mariano's and Whole Foods carry some local produce in the summertime, but the problem is that they only want to deal with factory farmers that can supply all of their stores with corn or tomatoes. They will not deal with farmers that only have 100-200 farms, and that is why those smaller farmers are forced to sell at the farmer's market.

I don't know much about this, but it seems to me there are examples that lie between the two extremes of grocery stores buying only from factory farms and small farmers being forced to sell at farmers' markets.

For example, here in Lake County, Sunset Foods (which has five locations) sells produce from various small farmers around the upper Midwest, including Didier Farms, which has 200 acres owned and rented in the Lincolnshire area and 400 acres rented in the DeKalb area. MightyVine tomatoes from Rochelle, Illinois are sold at Costco, Jewel, Whole Foods, and Mariano's around here. I just saw a video of Rick Bayless showing Kevin Pang how he makes guacamole, with Bayless commenting how lucky the Chicago area is to have MightyVine tomatoes available year-round. MightyVine grows their tomatoes in 30 acres of greenhouses. Are operations of these sizes considered factory farming?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #111 - February 11th, 2022, 11:52 pm
    Post #111 - February 11th, 2022, 11:52 pm Post #111 - February 11th, 2022, 11:52 pm
    No, they are not considered factory farming, and smaller chains like Sunset, Valli, Patel's, Tony's and Fresh Farms, will deal with smaller farmers, but in general places like Jewel and Mariano's only want to deal with farms that can supply all of their stores with corn or zucchini, or cooperatives, and the majority of the organic stuff from Whole Foods, Jewel, and Mariano's comes from places like Cal Organics which is a cooperative.

I have seen Michigan peaches at Mariano's a few times. They were from Greg Orchards, which purchases peaches from smaller farms, and then packs them and sells them to Mariano's.

Actually, Meijer's does a much better job of buying local produce for their stores than Jewel does. Years ago, when my father was still alive, he used to sell some of his peaches to a broker at the Benton Harbot wholesale market, who then sold them to one of the chains in Detroit. The great majority of his peaches he sold at his fruit stand, or sold to other fruit stands, because he was so ashamed of what he was picking for the chains. If they found one ripe peach, they could deny the whole load.

I
  • Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 9:58 am
    Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 9:58 am Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 9:58 am
    NFriday wrote:Does anybody here belong to the Wild Onion food coop? They are leasing the store for ten years, but they are trying to raise $1 million dollars to convert the store. Why would anybody spend that much money on a store that they don't own? The idea of a coop sounds good, but the problem is that the store is only going to be 6,000 sq. ft., and I don't see how they can compete price wise with Whole Foods once the store opens up. I am sure Whole Foods would be able to purchase stuff a lot cheaper, because they can buy it in huge volumes. At least 25% of the produce at the coop will be local.

$350,000 In Grants Give Wild Onion Market ‘Green Light’ To Finish Construction Of Rogers Park Co-Op. Organizers set a target opening date of December. The store at 7007 N. Clark St. will offer locally and sustainably grown produce as well as a self-serve bulk foods section and grab-and-go items.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/06/21 ... ark-co-op/
  • Post #113 - June 21st, 2023, 1:33 pm
    Post #113 - June 21st, 2023, 1:33 pm Post #113 - June 21st, 2023, 1:33 pm
    Just looking for restaurants -- or a place to live? My brother wants to sell his house. Half block to beach. Short walk to el stop. Driveway and 2 garages. Fabulous garden. Three stories. Classic Chicago bungalow.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #114 - February 25th, 2024, 9:10 am
    Post #114 - February 25th, 2024, 9:10 am Post #114 - February 25th, 2024, 9:10 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Wild Onion Market Co-Op Will Take Over Closed Rogers Park Grocery Store, Seek To Open By Early Next Year

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/02/03 ... next-year/

Wild Onion Market, Rogers Park’s First Grocery Co-Op, Will Open Soon

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/02/23 ... open-soon/
  • Post #115 - February 25th, 2024, 5:20 pm
    Post #115 - February 25th, 2024, 5:20 pm Post #115 - February 25th, 2024, 5:20 pm
    It sounds like Wild Onion took longer to open than anticipated. They still need 200 new owners who have to pay them $250 before they can open. I just question how expensive the store will be. Plus I can walk to the farmers market, and Jewel is closer than this store is going to be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more