LTH Home

Maxwell Street suggestions

Maxwell Street suggestions
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Maxwell Street suggestions

Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:01 am
    Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:01 am Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:01 am
    Very poor of me, but the last time I was at Maxwell Street was last summer with the film crew and CH gang.

My brother has not stopped talking about it and is in town for a visit this weekend. We are going on Sunday.

As I've forgot, what are your favorites at Maxwell Street?

thanks in advance for replies,

Willie
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:08 am
    Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:08 am Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:08 am
    Hey Willie, I remember you from the shoot! My absolute favorite Maxwell Street stop is Oaxaca Tamal (usually located just east of the Dominick's entrance). Every time friends and relations come into town and we go to Maxwell, we stop there and no one -- not a single person -- has failed to remark on the deliciousness of these masa wads filled with chicken or pork.

There's a lot of choices, however, so it really depends what you're in the mood to eat.

David

PS. I assume you have the much-in-need-of-updating Maxwell St. Guide -- email me if you want a copy.
  • Post #3 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:25 am
    Post #3 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:25 am Post #3 - June 2nd, 2004, 8:25 am
    My favorite is the rico huarache "bandera" (2 sauces) at the place not to far from the Oaxacan tamal guy. Ordering can be a pain, but those fresh made, griddle-fried huaraches, superb!
  • Post #4 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:35 am
    Post #4 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:35 am Post #4 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:35 am
    Never let it be said that we missed a chance to plug the Maxwell Street video!

http://dchammond.com/gorilla/

For the totally new folks here, about 20 of us hit Maxwell St. on two separate weekends (edited into one continuous trip on the video) to poke around the best Mexican stands, looking for great food. It runs about an hour, shows you a lot of the folks who post here as well as a lot of the best food to try, and is generally agreed to be fast-paced, pretty slick and a lot of fun. And you can have one at a very reasonable price at the URL above, DVD or VHS.

It has also played public access cable in the Chicago area, and if it gets scheduled again, we'll post the times.

As for my favorites: I agree wholeheartedly about Ricos' huarache and the Oaxacan tamale, very much enjoy the steak taco at Rubi's/Manolo's for the freshmade tortilla more than the steak, and like a good quesadilla flor de la calabaza wherever it's found.
  • Post #5 - June 5th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    Post #5 - June 5th, 2004, 8:07 pm Post #5 - June 5th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    I can't go, just too much work :x :x :x

but my brother thanks you!
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more