LTH Home

Ambria - going out with a bang

Ambria - going out with a bang
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 3rd, 2007, 2:19 pm
    Post #31 - July 3rd, 2007, 2:19 pm Post #31 - July 3rd, 2007, 2:19 pm
    So how was the Final Bash?
  • Post #32 - July 3rd, 2007, 5:03 pm
    Post #32 - July 3rd, 2007, 5:03 pm Post #32 - July 3rd, 2007, 5:03 pm
    Without going too deeply into it, let's say the restaurant treated the food and service like it was their last night.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #33 - July 4th, 2007, 11:32 am
    Post #33 - July 4th, 2007, 11:32 am Post #33 - July 4th, 2007, 11:32 am
    Is that a good or a bad thing? Can you provide some details please? Thank you!
  • Post #34 - July 4th, 2007, 5:33 pm
    Post #34 - July 4th, 2007, 5:33 pm Post #34 - July 4th, 2007, 5:33 pm
    Snark wrote:Is that a good or a bad thing? Can you provide some details please? Thank you!
    Without being too disparaging, but while remaining honest, it took 1:40 (in hours:minutes) for us to get our first course, the wine pairings didn't match even close, and every single course was a disappointment.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #35 - July 4th, 2007, 6:19 pm
    Post #35 - July 4th, 2007, 6:19 pm Post #35 - July 4th, 2007, 6:19 pm
    jpschust wrote:
    Snark wrote:Is that a good or a bad thing? Can you provide some details please? Thank you!
    Without being too disparaging, but while remaining honest, it took 1:40 (in hours:minutes) for us to get our first course, the wine pairings didn't match even close, and every single course was a disappointment.


    And how was this different from your other visits to Ambria?
  • Post #36 - July 4th, 2007, 9:19 pm
    Post #36 - July 4th, 2007, 9:19 pm Post #36 - July 4th, 2007, 9:19 pm
    Sad. I'll always remember my half-dozen or so meals at Ambria as culinary high points in my life.
  • Post #37 - July 5th, 2007, 7:24 am
    Post #37 - July 5th, 2007, 7:24 am Post #37 - July 5th, 2007, 7:24 am
    DML wrote:
    jpschust wrote:
    Snark wrote:Is that a good or a bad thing? Can you provide some details please? Thank you!
    Without being too disparaging, but while remaining honest, it took 1:40 (in hours:minutes) for us to get our first course, the wine pairings didn't match even close, and every single course was a disappointment.


    And how was this different from your other visits to Ambria?
    I've had some very very solid visits to Ambria in the past with excellent pairings and stellar service.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #38 - July 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm
    Post #38 - July 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm Post #38 - July 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm
    I just found out that the sommelier from Ambria teaches a wine class ill be taking at Kendall later this year.
    Logan: Come on, everybody, wang chung tonight! What? Everybody, wang chung tonight! Wang chung, or I'll kick your ass!
  • Post #39 - July 12th, 2007, 7:24 am
    Post #39 - July 12th, 2007, 7:24 am Post #39 - July 12th, 2007, 7:24 am
    The Next Chapter
    We knew the acclaimed chef Laurent Gras (Fifth Floor in San Francisco) was hooking up with Rich Melman and his Lettuce cronies, but we weren’t sure how or where. Now it’s clear: Gras is taking over the Ambria space (2300 N. Lincoln Park West; 773-472-5959). “Our goal all along has been to build the best seafood restaurant in all of Chicago,” says Melman, who also tried to make a deal (ultimately unsuccessful) in the new Trump building. Ambria’s last meal is June 30th, then renovations should begin in July. Melman says his guys are pushing for a November opening for the unnamed restaurant (the name Agnes has been bandied about), but don’t hold your breath. “I can’t see it before end of January,” he says. “I would bet a $100 to a dollar that November won’t happen. I know what it takes to make something this special happen.”
  • Post #40 - July 12th, 2007, 8:09 am
    Post #40 - July 12th, 2007, 8:09 am Post #40 - July 12th, 2007, 8:09 am
    I didn't know that Laurent Gras was cooking at the Fifth Floor. I've never been to the restaurant itself but stayed in the hotel that houses it. Supposedly it's quite good based on reports of people I know who have been there. And, of course, Chef Gras is pretty legit. With that said, this could be more of a consulting chef gig than a true chef-driven restaurant.
  • Post #41 - July 12th, 2007, 8:22 am
    Post #41 - July 12th, 2007, 8:22 am Post #41 - July 12th, 2007, 8:22 am
    bnowell724 wrote:I just found out that the sommelier from Ambria teaches a wine class ill be taking at Kendall later this year.


    I knew that. During my meal, he talked at length to the next table about his great classes.

    In great detail.

    He filled the room with his wit and intelligence.

    I felt like I was listening to some first year law student ramble on.

    It is one of the few times that I wanted to yell at a staff member:"BE QUIET -- WE ARE TRYING TO EAT."
  • Post #42 - July 12th, 2007, 1:28 pm
    Post #42 - July 12th, 2007, 1:28 pm Post #42 - July 12th, 2007, 1:28 pm
    DMChicago wrote:“Our goal all along has been to build the best seafood restaurant in all of Chicago,” says Melman

    I can only imagine how the people at Melman's own Shaw's Crab House feel when they hear a quote like that.
  • Post #43 - July 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm
    Post #43 - July 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm Post #43 - July 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm
    DML wrote: He filled the room with his wit and intelligence.

    I felt like I was listening to some first year law student ramble on.

    It is one of the few times that I wanted to yell at a staff member:"BE QUIET -- WE ARE TRYING TO EAT."


    We found him to be really helpful, informative and just plain nice when we went to Ambria. He actually did fill the room with his wit and intelligence, which made the whole experience all the better. Different strokes....
  • Post #44 - July 12th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    Post #44 - July 12th, 2007, 8:45 pm Post #44 - July 12th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    chicagogrrl wrote:
    DML wrote: He filled the room with his wit and intelligence.

    I felt like I was listening to some first year law student ramble on.

    It is one of the few times that I wanted to yell at a staff member:"BE QUIET -- WE ARE TRYING TO EAT."


    We found him to be really helpful, informative and just plain nice when we went to Ambria. He actually did fill the room with his wit and intelligence, which made the whole experience all the better. Different strokes....


    I've always liked the sommelier at Ambria, and always delighted in the information he shared.

    As for talking about his classes at length -- I'm guessing that, when you're losing your job as a sommelier, you want to make sure someone is signing up for the classes that will now be paying your bills.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

    http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #45 - July 13th, 2007, 5:46 am
    Post #45 - July 13th, 2007, 5:46 am Post #45 - July 13th, 2007, 5:46 am
    No, it was a couple years ago that we were there.
  • Post #46 - October 28th, 2019, 6:27 am
    Post #46 - October 28th, 2019, 6:27 am Post #46 - October 28th, 2019, 6:27 am
    Ambria restaurant to return via historic partnership with Lettuce Entertain You and The Alinea Group

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Hors D'oeuvre: A ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
    - Jack Benny
  • Post #47 - October 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm
    Post #47 - October 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm Post #47 - October 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Ambria restaurant to return via historic partnership with Lettuce Entertain You and The Alinea Group

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html

    Ambria was one of my absolute favorites went there more often than we should have $$$. The only thing that could make me happier would be the return of Un Grand Cafe across the lobby, I was addicted to the Duck Sausage appetizer and IMHO the best Steak Frites. We were regulars here and one night when they were crazy busy, the Maitre D ' left then came back and said I got you a table across the hall! Outstanding
    Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
    Woody Allen
  • Post #48 - November 5th, 2019, 6:56 am
    Post #48 - November 5th, 2019, 6:56 am Post #48 - November 5th, 2019, 6:56 am
    Wow. Just Wow. Thanks for posting.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more