LTH Home

Marie's Customer Appreciation Days

Marie's Customer Appreciation Days
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Post #31 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:41 pm Post #31 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Kennyz wrote:Glad to have Marie's Pizza back in my life.

Holy Jerry Spitzer that looks good..................
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm
    Post #32 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm Post #32 - October 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm
    G Wiv wrote:

Honestly, it was much better than I remember Marie's Pizza being. It was piping hot, the crust had good char, as did some of the cheese at the edges, and the mild sauce, shrooms and other ingredients combined into way more than the sum of their parts.

Another shot:
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #33 - October 3rd, 2009, 11:08 am
    Post #33 - October 3rd, 2009, 11:08 am Post #33 - October 3rd, 2009, 11:08 am
    G Wiv wrote:

If only there were some reason for all of us to meet at Marie's soon...
  • Post #34 - October 5th, 2009, 10:44 am
    Post #34 - October 5th, 2009, 10:44 am Post #34 - October 5th, 2009, 10:44 am
    Santander wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

If only there were some reason for all of us to meet at Marie's soon...

Holy Smokes, Santander. There *is* a reason to meet at Marie's soon. How fortuitous!

2009 GNR Awards Dinner
    -Mary
  • Post #35 - October 5th, 2009, 11:12 am
    Post #35 - October 5th, 2009, 11:12 am Post #35 - October 5th, 2009, 11:12 am
    Santander wrote:I am overjoyed to report - thanks to an assist from Mr. Suburban - that the mushrooms on Marie's pizza are actually now thin-sliced fresh buttons and not canned, and were indeed already fresh as I suspected when I made the above comment. Another reason to be excited about this retro pizza haven.

This is great news! I just wish I had checked this thread yesterday before ordering a sausage and green pepper pizza. My wife suggested sausage and mushroom, or sausage and green peppers. I picked peppers because, and I quote myself, "We'll be disappointed by the canned mushrooms".

We love Marie's. Sometimes we notice that the pizza is cooked less than other times. We've never had a pizza as nicely charred as in Gwiv's picture above. I think we'll try asking for it "extra crispy" next time and see what happens.
  • Post #36 - October 5th, 2009, 11:14 am
    Post #36 - October 5th, 2009, 11:14 am Post #36 - October 5th, 2009, 11:14 am
    Darren72 wrote: We've never had a pizza as nicely charred as in Gwiv's picture above. I think we'll try asking for it "extra crispy" next time and see what happens.

"Well done" is always a standard part of my order at Marie's.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #37 - October 5th, 2009, 11:18 am
    Post #37 - October 5th, 2009, 11:18 am Post #37 - October 5th, 2009, 11:18 am
    stevez wrote:
    Darren72 wrote: We've never had a pizza as nicely charred as in Gwiv's picture above. I think we'll try asking for it "extra crispy" next time and see what happens.

Ah, thanks!
  • Post #38 - October 5th, 2009, 11:21 am
    Post #38 - October 5th, 2009, 11:21 am Post #38 - October 5th, 2009, 11:21 am
    I made no special request with the pizza in my picture above, and was quite pleased with what I thought was the perfect crispness and char.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #39 - October 5th, 2009, 11:23 am
    Post #39 - October 5th, 2009, 11:23 am Post #39 - October 5th, 2009, 11:23 am
    Darren72 wrote:
    stevez wrote:

Ah, thanks!

Another trick (because sometimes Marie's doesn't always deliver on that request):

As soon as I hang up the phone from ordering a Marie's thin, I crank my oven to it's highest setting (550) with my pizza stone inside. When the pizza arrives, four minutes on the stone gets it right back to the "out of the oven" taste that you get at Marie's.

Marie's is one of those pizzas that is excellent but deteriorates rapidly after leaving the oven. A quick spin in the home oven is my insurance against a disappointing pizza.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #40 - October 22nd, 2009, 8:45 am
    Post #40 - October 22nd, 2009, 8:45 am Post #40 - October 22nd, 2009, 8:45 am
    Thanks to ronnie_suburban's excellent pizza ordering at the GNR award dinner, I got to try a new-to-me combo of toppings at Marie's: bacon, mushrooms and onions. It was phenomenal, and now easily tops the list of my favorite pizzas at this establishment. The bacon was super-crisp and the saltiness was balanced perfectly by the earthy, real shrooms. Mouth-watering stuff that was so good I nearly wrestled to get the tray back after I foolishly agreed to share a slice with the table next to us.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #41 - November 12th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Post #41 - November 12th, 2009, 10:51 am Post #41 - November 12th, 2009, 10:51 am
    The family and I visited Marie's for the first time this Tuesday.

I was fairly impressed with our pizza, a half-cheese / half-sausage thin crust. I forgot to order it "crisp," despite reading this thread beforehand. Luckily the pizza came out what I'd consider a perfect "crisp" or "well-done," and the crust in particular was a thing of beauty, with plenty of browning in every sector. The pie was slightly greasy, but not overly so. My spouse thought it was a little too greasy, however.

Note: in keeping with the time-warp decor, even the high chairs are retro. I'd forgotten what advances we've made in high chair technology!
  • Post #42 - December 11th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Post #42 - December 11th, 2009, 9:41 am Post #42 - December 11th, 2009, 9:41 am
    LTH,

Picked up a pizza at Marie's, holiday lights in full swing, joint smelled just like a pizza joint, toasty crust, aroma drifts of fennel and sausage grease hitting hot oven floor, pleasant buzz of happy customers and a trio playing soft jazz versions of holiday classics. Add in the cheapest drinks in Chicagoland, at least where one does not have to worry about being mugged on the way to the bathroom, and crisp delicious thin crust pizza, its easy to understand the love for Marie's.

Though I live slightly over the 8 minutes and 37 second window suggest by EatChicago, our sausage and mushroom was piping hot, fragrant and really hit the spot on a cold early winter eve.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #43 - December 11th, 2009, 10:10 am
    Post #43 - December 11th, 2009, 10:10 am Post #43 - December 11th, 2009, 10:10 am
    We went there a couple of weeks ago for the ever-OTT Xmas decorations and I had a great time. Well, the great time was mainly that the trio, whom I instantly dubbed The Abe Vigoda Three, absolutely mortified my sons by 1) mistaking one for a girl (well, his long hair did have a particular Paula Prentiss flip to it that day, vagaries of humidity) 2) making them sing along to various Christmas classics 3) joking with them that they'd rather listen to rap and next time they should bring some cute dates along (both sons being of an age where girls are still icky, but the older one is right where embarrassment at the thought is highest). Ah, Christmas memories worth more than jewels. I'll never get them inside the place again.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #44 - December 11th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Post #44 - December 11th, 2009, 10:51 am Post #44 - December 11th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Mike G wrote:We went there a couple of weeks ago for the ever-OTT Xmas decorations and I had a great time. Well, the great time was mainly that the trio, whom I instantly dubbed The Abe Vigoda Three, absolutely mortified my sons by 1) mistaking one for a girl (well, his long hair did have a particular Paula Prentiss flip to it that day, vagaries of humidity) 2) making them sing along to various Christmas classics 3) joking with them that they'd rather listen to rap and next time they should bring some cute dates along (both sons being of an age where girls are still icky, but the older one is right where embarrassment at the thought is highest). Ah, Christmas memories worth more than jewels. I'll never get them inside the place again.

When we were there last time, we sat in one of the booths along the bar. We did not have any interaction with the trio that was playing that night and I think it was our table location.
    -Mary
  • Post #45 - March 7th, 2010, 7:54 pm
    Post #45 - March 7th, 2010, 7:54 pm Post #45 - March 7th, 2010, 7:54 pm
    We had a little party last night to celebrate the end of our 1 year+ basement renovation project. :D I had originally planned to do all the cooking, but I'm in the midst of a stressful job transition and decided to seek some outside assistance. This was an open house. I knew there would be an early crowd and a late crowd and I was hoping to have hot food for both. I worked with Marie's to have Greek Salad for 20 people and four large thin-crust pizzas delivered at 8pm. They followed up with a second delivery of three pizzas and 2 dozen mini cannoli at 10pm. I wish I had taken some pics because the salad was beautiful - tomato roses and carved cucumbers, tons of kalamata olives, and a generous amount of cubed feta. They sent the vinaigrette and a good amount of anchovies on the side. The pizzas were carefully wrapped in foil and vented so they maintained their crispiness. I had requested a bacon and onion pizza and it was a huge hit. I had several guests tell me they don't usually enjoy cannoli but they loved Marie's. The shells were crispy and a touch of fresh lemon zest really perked up the filling.

We also purchased our beer and wine for the evening from Marie's and I wanted to mention the big change I've noticed in the liquor store from when we moved to the neighborhood seven years ago to today. The beer selection has expanded into microbrews - saw Half Acre and Great Lakes to name a couple, and the wine selection has been vastly improved from "grocery store aisle" selections. We purchased some Spanish and Chilean reds that we've bought from Binny's before at a competitive price.

Thanks to Cliff and Nadine who both helped me put this together - keep on doing what you do so well! -Lynn
  • Post #46 - September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
    Post #46 - September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am Post #46 - September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
    Went to Marie's for early dinner pizza last night. Heavenly crust and such great flavor. Anyway, just fyi - they have a notice on their board that says Check, Please will be filming there on 9/30.

Mary
  • Post #47 - July 20th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Post #47 - July 20th, 2011, 12:52 pm Post #47 - July 20th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Hi everyone!

Marie's Pizza is today's "Deal of the Day" at livingsocial.com! The deal is two large Marie's Special Pizzas and two pitchers of Domestic Beer OR two Wine Flights OR one pitcher and one Wine Flight.

Please surf in to livingsocial.com and take advantage of this awesome deal!

Thank you!

Nadine and Cliff
  • Post #48 - July 20th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Post #48 - July 20th, 2011, 2:05 pm Post #48 - July 20th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Marie's continues to be my neighborhood go-to favorite for thin crust pizza. I haven't seen Nadine in a while, but that's probably because we get carryout or delivery more often than not these days.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #49 - July 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm
    Post #49 - July 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm Post #49 - July 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm
    We saw Nadine on Sunday night. My parents were in town for the weekend. After Prairie Fire and Cirque du Soleil on Saturday night, Mom decided she wanted to have her actual birthday dinner at Marie's. Great pizza, as usual, and a bonus seranade (including the obligatory "Happy Birthday" from the strolling musicans.)

Nadine was excited about the livingsocial.com promo. I hope it goes well for them.
  • Post #50 - July 21st, 2011, 11:09 am
    Post #50 - July 21st, 2011, 11:09 am Post #50 - July 21st, 2011, 11:09 am
    Ahhhh Marie's......aren't many better pizza's anywhere....and the ambiance is just the best...

Wondering though....clearly pizza is the star...and I've seen Italian Beef and sausagae in red sauce mentioned earlier.....anything else stand out as exceptional (or at least worth a try?)
  • Post #51 - July 21st, 2011, 11:19 am
    Post #51 - July 21st, 2011, 11:19 am Post #51 - July 21st, 2011, 11:19 am
    ParkLaBrea wrote:anything else stand out as exceptional (or at least worth a try?)

I've only been to Marie's once, but everything I had other than the pizza was pretty forgettable.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #52 - July 21st, 2011, 12:07 pm
    Post #52 - July 21st, 2011, 12:07 pm Post #52 - July 21st, 2011, 12:07 pm
    I was so busy at work yesterday afternoon that I never saw this deal posted! :evil: I'm going to Marie's tonight with a few people and this would have been a nice surprise.

I only go for the thin pizza there. Everything else seems to be no big deal. The pizza has always been in my top 3 thin pizzas anywhere.
  • Post #53 - August 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm
    Post #53 - August 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm Post #53 - August 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm
    Marie's is my new neighborhood restaurant. And I'm over the moon. I plan on taking my kids at least 300 times before they graduate high school.

The poster child for chicago thin.
  • Post #54 - September 20th, 2011, 11:52 am
    Post #54 - September 20th, 2011, 11:52 am Post #54 - September 20th, 2011, 11:52 am
    Customer appeciation days are September 19-21. Tonight is 50% off for pizza and then tomorrow is 50% off pasta.

I was at Marie's on Saturday night and heard about the special, so I decided to go back last night with my uncle and some friends for the 50% deal. I've mentioned this before and at least one person couldn't understand it, but I like my Marie's crust paper thin. Sometimes they do it right, sometimes it's a little thicker. Saturday night, it was on the thick side and I wasn't thrilled about it. So last night I ordered my own large half chees/ half sausage extra thin, which the waitress said was no problem at all, and well done (I always do that). The pizza was pure Marie's perfection, was so much better than Saturday night, and everyone at the table was jealous that I ordered it that way. The oil from the whole milk cheese was nice and greasy on top and in the old days I would get napkins to blot it up, but I stopped doing that because just like the fat in Italian Beef juice, the oil is part of the flavor! :P

While it would be nice to not have to tweak the way they make the average pizza for me, I don't mind doing it if they don't mind making it. Extra thin from here on out is the only way I'm doing it at Marie's. :)

And after eating two Marie's pizzas in 3 days, I'd like to also add that I'm down 17 pounds since early August.:wink:
  • Post #55 - September 20th, 2011, 1:41 pm
    Post #55 - September 20th, 2011, 1:41 pm Post #55 - September 20th, 2011, 1:41 pm
    We were there last night, too (Sausage and onions well done; some anchovies on the side). I agree that the addition of the two magic words "well done" usually assures a great pizza at Marie's. While I was there, I ran into GWiv & Sweet Baby Ray.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #56 - September 21st, 2011, 6:20 pm
    Post #56 - September 21st, 2011, 6:20 pm Post #56 - September 21st, 2011, 6:20 pm
    Ok, I'm officially insane. I went back to Marie's last night too! :oops: Another extra thin, well done large pizza that was awesome (though I have to say the bottom of the crust on each one I had was not really crispy - not sure why that is). Went with my friend Matt who was with me Saturday night and wanted to try the pizza extra thin as well. He said it was the best Marie's he's ever had too.

While we were eating a guy asked me if I was a member of LTH. I was a bit shocked to hear that, how could he possibly know that?! He said he heard how I ordered the pizza. It turned out to be Jazzfood, and we had a nice talk. Going to the gym tonight followed by a nice tuna wrap! :)
  • Post #57 - April 29th, 2012, 7:20 am
    Post #57 - April 29th, 2012, 7:20 am Post #57 - April 29th, 2012, 7:20 am
    still a spot no one needs to twist my arm to go to, not my favorite pizza in chicago, but always solid:

sausage, garlic - well done:

• Post #58 - September 18th, 2012, 9:54 am
    Post #58 - September 18th, 2012, 9:54 am Post #58 - September 18th, 2012, 9:54 am
    It's that time of the year again, GNR Marie's has it's Customer Appreciation Days today and tomorrow (and yesterday). Today the pizza is 1/2 off. Tomorrow is 1/2 off Spaghetti and Ravioli. I was there last night and it wasn't too crowded after 8:00. I am sure Rosh Hashanah had something to do with that. Since Marie's is one of my all-time favorites, I'm going to be there at some point tonight as well. :mrgreen: Nadine is waiting... :wink:
  • Post #59 - December 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm
    Post #59 - December 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm Post #59 - December 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm
    Was there last night. As mentioned in the Christmas decorations thread, they are over the top… Really worth a trip in itself.

Had a very drinkable 2010 nebbiolo that was $16 (plus a $3 corkage) next door in the shop, a good Greek salad (asked for romaine), and a large half cheese/half sausage. Forgot to ask for it well done and have to say a big screw up on my part. The crust was crisp, but the top almost seemed steamed and not browned. Maybe it was siting out too long…
  • Post #60 - December 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am
    Post #60 - December 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am Post #60 - December 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am
    I love going to Marie's at this time of the year for the decor. I have to sadly say the pizza has been letting me down in the last year. It's been a bit bland and the crust a little thicker than it should be. When I go back I am going to order extra sauce and extra thin crust to hopefully offset this. Wish I didn't have to, but sometimes you have to make adjustments over time.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more